Fried Catfish Breakfast

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
PeanutMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2003/08/23 18:21:50 (permalink)

Fried Catfish Breakfast

I like to fish around 5 am and catch a channel cat or two. I bring them in mix them up in a beer batter fix cheese grits, scramble some eggs and toss in some hush puppies.
To me and mine.. that is an average breakfast around here and it is a knock out. Have to try the lobster thing very soon though!

50 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 18:34:39 (permalink)
    Skip all the extra's...Just do up some fillets and toast..A little Tartar Sauce and or lemon will be all the dressing I need.
    Sounds like a great way to start the day !!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 18:59:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PeanutMan

I like to fish around 5 am and catch a channel cat or two. I bring them in mix them up in a beer batter fix cheese grits, scramble some eggs and toss in some hush puppies.
    To me and mine.. that is an average breakfast around here and it is a knock out. Have to try the lobster thing very soon though!

That is anything but an "average" breakfast----give me your address i will over for breakfast tomorro!Make a great diner breakfast!
    PeanutMan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 19:05:23 (permalink)
    We live right on the San Marcos River and my wife loves to fish with me. We just had some left over from a late night of fishing and cooking.. woke up and warmed it up and WOW! Now it is pretty much every day. Baked or blackened is good aswell.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 19:08:43 (permalink)
    That reminds me of the breakfast I used to have with my late father in law who lived at the Holly Glen Tree Farm on Watts Bar Lake which is actually an embayment of the Tennessee River at Decatur Tennessee River. He had about a mile of shore line and a beaautiful cove that was occupied frequently by a bald eagle that called that area home. It was also frequented by a huge group of crappie which in my opinion is one of the best pan fish ever. When I had some time off, we would walk from his home down to the lake and catch about a dozen crappie, filet them on the spot, take them back to the house, fry them along with potatoes and onions and peppers, bake some bisquits and cook some grits.

A wonderful experience and I have missed my father in law for about 20 years.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 21:15:15 (permalink)
    Anybody who eats his own just caught fish for breakfast sure knows how to live. And, as , I think, F. Scott Fitzgerald said. "Living well is the best revenge".
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/23 21:43:22 (permalink)
    Seafarer: I do not know about that but I will tell you this that crappie for breakfast with potatoes, onions, peppers, coffee, bisquits is the best I have ever had.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 08:00:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Seafarer: I do not know about that but I will tell you this that crappie for breakfast with potatoes, onions, peppers, coffee, bisquits is the best I have ever had.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Crappie ANYTIME is awesome---i love to CATCH fish--i've caught and realeased bass,trout,steelhead, stripers,salmon and lots more,but crappie i take home!!! It amazes me that they arent extinct!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 09:47:02 (permalink)
    All the family and almost everyone else I've ever known anywhere agree with the several above comments to the effect that crappie is the best tasting of all fresh water fish, but for some reason I've always thought that bream are a bit tastier than crappie. Maybe some of this comes from a preference or prejudice I have for bream over crappie fishing; its to me just more fun. It's also kinda like I've always thought that snapper are better tasting than flounder. Seems to me the bream and snapper just have a bit more taste or flavor than do crappie and flounder. I'm hard pressed to say whether I rate bream or cat as my favorite fresh water fish. Know lots of people are also crazy about trout, but trout of any sort have always been the one fish with a taste I just really don't like. Guess taste in fish, like in everything else, is an individual matter.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 10:10:42 (permalink)
    When we race in Brainerd, MN, sometimes we take a little time off and fish for walleye. We always had to do it early in the morning as our races begin at 10:00AM. The last time we went, we had a guide as he had all the tackle, boat, fish finders and besides that, he had all the cooking equipment and he knew where to go. He selected Pelican Lake just north of Brainerd.

We caught about six keepers and we had a great shore breakfast of fried walleye, Texas toast, black coffee, onion potatoes.

I have a hard time deciding which fish I like the best? Crappie or Walleye?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 18:09:52 (permalink)
    A friend here in Oklahoma tells me the same about walleye---says that once i start catching them i to will be a convert--there are none in California so i had to settle for crappie,but im willing to eat walleye,too.Hell,i'm willin to eat damn near anything and 20 bucks a year for a fishing liscence is pretty good per lb!!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 18:55:25 (permalink)
    That's a hard question, Sundancer. Crappie or Walleye? I guess I'd have to pick Crappie since we don't have Walleye down here in Texas.

When I was young, we'd spend two weeks every year at a fish camp on Lake of the Woods near Kenora, Ontario. We lived on fried Walleye (corn meal batter) for the most part (except for the breakfasts of blueberry pancakes made with wild blueberries we picked near there). I actually think that's the best tasting fish, but it's been mucho years since I ate a fillet of Walleye fried about an hour after it was cleaned...

Fish and eggs for breakfast absolutely ROCKS!!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 19:36:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

All the family and almost everyone else I've ever known anywhere agree with the several above comments to the effect that crappie is the best tasting of all fresh water fish, but for some reason I've always thought that bream are a bit tastier than crappie...

Liketoeat, as usual, I've learned something new from visiting this site. I always thought Bream and Crappie were the same, just called something different by regions. After reading your post, I did a couple of quick searches, and it appears they ARE different.

Can you elaborate for me (us) on the differences? I'm interested...
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 21:16:33 (permalink)
    Hi, Bushie. Hope all is well with you. Yes, not speaking from biological or scientific standpoint, but from country fisherman standpoint, there are lots of differences between crappie and bream. The crappie is generally a considerably larger but relatively thinner fish than the bream. Bream is generally somewhat smaller and relatively thicker. Crappie is a white fish (will just glisten in the sun) with really white and delicately textured and flavored flesh while bream is a darker fish with some blue, red or orange, and other color trim (or at least appearance of such in the sun). Bream's flesh is not so delicately textured and has a "stronger" or more pronounced taste than the crappie. Think reason I prefer bream to crappie for eating is that the crappie's flavor is just a little bland for me. In these parts crappie are also known as perch, and bream are sometimes known as bluegills and are considered as bigger cousins of what are called little sunfish. We fish for crappie with stiff cane pole, large hook, cork, lead sinker, and using minnows for bait. Good fishing is sitting over a sunken tree top in some relatively clear, flowing body of water (most often what we call a bay). On the other hand, we fish for bream using the most limber cane pole can get (preferably one can just roll up), small hook, quill for float, small split shot for sinker, and using roaches, crickets, earthworms, etc. for bait. Roaches make the best bait; finally a use for a roach! Good to fish for bream around cypress knees, just kinda going along bank in and near the cypress. More likely to find bream in lakes and in less free flowing waters than crappie. If you get bite from a good big crappie he'll just go straight down and sit there as dead weight and then will do his best to flip off the hook when you bring him out of the water. Any bream though will run and really put up a fight down in the water when he is first hooked. Sometimes you'll hook one which from way he's fighting you'd swear was a whale and then when you get him up he's some little bitty bit of nothing; has been fun to catch though. These are the various ways I've always distinguished between crappie and bream, but sure that are some biologists as well as many who are lots better fishermen than I am on this board and who can give you far better explanation of the differences between the two fish, and also more useful fishing info than I've provided. As first said, nearly everyone I know prefers crappie for eating, but somehow I have always been partial to taste of bream.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 23:26:15 (permalink)
    Ultra light tackle--a sunny summer day and a mess of crappie OR bream---awesome----Hey Liketoeat---ever put live bait---crickets--grasshoppers--roaches--on a hook using super glue instead of hooking thru them?---i like it alot--they stay live better and attract alot of attention---fun way to fish bass in farm ponds too--works great with crawdads too
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/24 23:42:57 (permalink)
    tiki, no, I've not only never superglued my bait on to the hook, I've never even thought of or heard of such. Are you really being serious in your superglue statement, or are you pulling my leg? With most of my "unsuccess" in using superglue over the years, I'd have myself glued to that hook if I tried to do this. Whatever, I'm still having a great laugh and uplift at the thought of gluing that roach to the hook. Do let me know if you are serious about this fishbait gluing, and, if so, how its done. Thanks. PS - spelling correction.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 07:36:14 (permalink)
    quote:

tiki, no, I've not only never superglued my bait on to the hook, I've never even thought of or heard of such. Are you really being serious in your superglue statement, or are you pulling my leg? With most of my "unsuccess" in using superglue over the years, I'd have myself glued to that hook if I tried to do this. Whatever, I'm still having a great laugh and uplift at the thought of gluing that roach to the hook. Do let me know if you are serious about this fishbait gluing, and, if so, how its done. Thanks. PS - spelling correction.

Totally serious---it works---i was always mangleing live bait like crickets putting them on the hook till a buddy of mine in California showed me--he'd just put a dab of superglue gel formular on the hook shank and touch to the the bait and they stuck--i thought he was nuts but it works, Hes even done it with minnows-super glue sticks to wet stuff to. he said he was going to try mice and go after big bass with it--never saw that though. Lots of guys use the glue on monofilament line to secure knots and he got the idea from that and claims he's met others that are doing it too. I find that with insects they tend to stay live and active better then when you stick a steel hook through them--so would i! I had a laugh at the thought of a USE for Roaches!!! and i am not even gonna ask where you got them!!!!I crack up at the thought of one of those little cardboard bait boxes full of roacheskept cool in soomeones fridge and the spousal unit finding and opening it wondering, "Hmm, whats in this?"- What do figure i can get for a dozen roaches at the bait shop!!?? At a nickle a peice, i know a couple of greasy spoons that might become profitable for once!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 07:39:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Totally serious---it works---i was always mangleing live bait like crickets putting them on the hook till a buddy of mine in California showed me--he'd just put a dab of superglue gel formular on the hook shank and touch to the the bait and they stuck--i thought he was nuts but it works, He's even done it with minnows-super glue sticks to wet stuff to. He said he was going to try mice and go after big bass with it--never saw that though. Lots of guys use the glue on monofilament line to secure knots and he got the idea from that and claims he's met others that are doing it too. I find that with insects,they tend to stay live and active better then when you stick a steel hook through them--so would I! I had a laugh at the thought of a USE for Roaches!!! and I am not even gonna ask where you got them!!!!I crack up at the thought of one of those little cardboard bait boxes full of roaches kept cool in someones fridge and the spousal unit finding and opening it wondering, "Hmm, whats in this?"- What do figure i can get for a dozen roaches at the bait shop!!?? At a nickle a peice, i know a couple of greasy spoons that might become profitable for once!!
    PeanutMan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 07:45:04 (permalink)
    Well,
    I think this is about the best damn site I have ever found!
    Last night I caught a 38 pound blue catfish and several channels and one flathead aka yellow cat that was around 45 pounds. I didn't keep the large blue or the fat flat.
    Living in Texas as we do.. and right on the river.. Fishing is what I do when the hunting isn't as good as we want it to be.
    If anyone is near Austin or San Antone.. Look me up and you are welcome to fish with me any time.. I even will let you use my tackle!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 09:00:17 (permalink)
    quote:

... In these parts crappie are also known as perch, and bream are sometimes known as bluegills and are considered as bigger cousins of what are called little sunfish...

Thanks, Liketoeat! Great explanation.

It seems I was just confused. We have Bluegill down here and did in Missouri, and I've caught and pan-fried those little jewels many, many times. Love 'em. That's primary what we fished for in the stock ponds when I was a kid.

We never called them "bream", and years ago when I heard that, for some reason I thought it referred to a "crappie". I was getting the "terminology" mixed up. Thanks for straightening me out!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 09:02:53 (permalink)
    quote:

If anyone is near Austin or San Antone.. Look me up and you are welcome to fish with me any time.. I even will let you use my tackle!

Hey PeanutMan, I'll take you up on that offer one of these days! (I'll bring my own tackle, though.)
    PeanutMan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 09:32:42 (permalink)
    Bushie,
    The river is spring fed not a drop of mud in it and the Rio Grande pearch are as big as a bass! You will never want to leave!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 10:32:46 (permalink)
    Thanks, tiki, for the further superglue bait info. That is just most fascinating. Would have never thought of doing the glue on bait bit or thought of its working with the squirming bait or wet tackle. That is absolutely fasacinating. I might get up nerve to try it, but, as said, my luck in using superglue ain't been too good. I grew up using roaches as bream bait and think they are still the best, but they are rather hard to come by now so most frequently use crickets. (When living in Mobile roaches were more readily available naturally; glad they are not so readily available around here.) Still have, tho, my dad's roach box which we made when I was a kid. The box is wood frame covered with extremely fine mesh wire, and with opening at top lined down a little way on all 4 sides of the opening with sheetmetal so the roaches can't crawl out. Box dimensions are about 3'x2'x1'. Every spring we'd go to fire station of county seat town and buy several dozen roaches from the firemen (who I always heard made more money selling roaches than they did from their fireman pay). Bring the roaches home and throw them into the roach box into which we'd put shredded newspaper and a couple of cut up Irish potatoes. The roaches with live and reproduce in the roach box all season. All the care they ever required was occasionally cutting up and pitiching in a new potato which supplied all their food and drink. When ready to go fisihing just reach into big roach box and grab out some paper with attached roaches and put that in the small roach boxes we took with us. Then when get home would dump the unusued roaches back into the big roach box. On last fishing trip of season we'd reward the fish by taking all the remaining roaches with us and dumping them at end of that trip; then get new roaches next spring to begin again. Kept roach box out of the way upstairs on balcony in old store. Always had enough roaches for ourselves & next door neighbors. Modern times now, tho, and mainly just buy crickets from bait shop for each individual fishing trip. (Occasionally a bait shop might have some roaches.) Also when I was a kid these catalpa trees I unfortunately have always had a crop of catalpa worms which were good fish bait, but somewhere along the way they lost all of their worms and haven't had any in years. Come to think of it, I don't think any catalpas around here any longer have the worms (tho I still occasionally see them in other parts of the south). Maybe all the years of crop insecticide spraying got the catalpa worms as it got so much wildlife.

And, Bushie, thanks for your reply. I couldn't imagine someone growing up in Springfield, MO, and now living in Texas not being familiar with bream and crappie. And, also, Bushie, I think you should definitely take PeanutMan up on his offer to join him on a fishing trip to that spring fed river. Sounds like that would be some great fishing.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/25 12:47:21 (permalink)
    just moved here to Oklahoma and our Catalpas have those worms---their gone now but they were thick as theives a while back---will have to try that next time i see them--thanks for then info
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/26 19:51:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Bushie,
    The river is spring fed not a drop of mud in it and the Rio Grande pearch are as big as a bass! You will never want to leave!

Sounds like Heaven, PM. I'll definitely be contacting you.

quote:

And, Bushie, thanks for your reply. I couldn't imagine someone growing up in Springfield, MO, and now living in Texas not being familiar with bream and crappie.

Liketoeat, I'm laughing about what you must have thought (that IDIOT Bushie...). Thanks for not expressing for what surely was on your mind!

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/26 21:15:12 (permalink)
    Hi, Bushie. Will admit I didn't know quite what to think but was giving you benefit of the doubt. Although surprising, thought with your Springfield upbringing you all there might be like they are in so much of the Ozarks -where it seems there is nothing but trout and trout fishing- so thought maybe you were beam and crappie denied/deprived as a youth. Although know northeast Texas fishing is a lot like fishing around here, I don't know what kind of fishing goes on down in your part of the state. Thought you might be one of those what we call around here "fancy city fishermen" with their rods & reels, fly fishing equipment, etc. again going after the trout, and so had never, even if you had bream and crappie in those parts, paid any attention to us cane pole fishermen and the fish we go after. Glad to later read it was just a terminology misunderstanding on your part. Better that than a "forgetful fit", with which I now so often seem to be afflicted. Hope you can soon join PeanutMan for what sounds like will be a great fishing trip.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/26 22:07:18 (permalink)
    Like to and Bushie,

You can count the number of times that I have freshwater fished on one hand and hold a rib anf a beer while you do it. Since moving to the Midwest I have gone with a couple of my sons to do some catfishing in some farm ponds locally. I did quite a bit of ocean fishing in Baja while living out west, so my tackle box was loaded with ocean size gear.
    The boys took great sport at making fun of my "city-slicker" gear the first time we went out so I decided to stooge them a bit.... They baited up and put their rods in the holders they had driven into the ground and proceeded to doze off... I hung a 16 oz. deepwater jig - in neon pink-- on the end of my 80lb test line and hung four or five chicken livers on the gaff-sized hooks on the jig. Then after strapping on a rod holder belt, I let that sucker fly on a long cast. I hollered something loud and nasty just before the jig hit the water. The splash it made would have swamped a canoe if there had been one. Both boys yelled that I must have hooked a monster cat....
    I played that empty jig like I was pulling in a tourney winner for sure.. then suddenly let it go slack. Even today they love to tell their friends how their Dad hooked that Huge Catfish and almost got it to shore befor it slipped the hook. They don't laugh at my heavy tackle now..... but I do!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/26 23:27:03 (permalink)
    quote:

those what we call around here "fancy city fishermen" with their rods & reels, fly fishing equipment, etc. again going after the trout, and so had never, even if you had bream and crappie in those parts, paid any attention to us cane pole fishermen and the fish we go after.

hey now--dont knock that fly rod stuff till ya try it---my dad has been catching bass and crappie with that fancy city fly stuff for years and its fun----a two lb crappie on a lightweight fly rod is a kick---and let me tell a 7 lb bass on one is incredible! and ya know--they seem to taste as good no matter how catch em!!!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/27 09:07:24 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, loved the tale of your catfish fishing expedition with your sons. Your mentioning the chicken liver catfish bait reminds me of the rather heated discussions one used to (not so much now) hear around here as to the best catfish bait (we've never really gone catfish fishing as such; tho might occasionally luckily catch one when brean or crappie fishing). Your chicken livers have always rated high as well as some "commercial" catfish baits, but the most frequently agreed on best catfish bait was (and hope this description is not offensive to anyone) "Kill and clean a chicken and throw its guts up on top of a backyard shed; when they get 'ripe' to the point that your wife is ready to run you off the property, take them down and head out for guaranteed catfish catch". Never tried it, and guess it would be difficult to do now, for I don't know anyone, even out in the country, who still raises chickens. Maybe still possible if lived in a poultry raising/processing area. I'll never forget when in college taking tour of the original Swanson's TV Dinner (fried chicken) plant. Those chickens came in live and went out cooked, packaged, and frozen (along with mashed potatoes and peas & carrorts). Back to subject of fishing. Are any of you plagued with gars when fishing? Not so bad around here now but back years ago they were really a pest.
    And, tiki, agree with you that no matter how caught, good fish are good. However, at this stage in life, think I'd better stick with my pole fishing. Fear I'd be a hazard to everyone and everything on the creek if I was to attempt casting or fly fishing.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Catfish Breakfast 2003/08/27 09:10:08 (permalink)
    Funny story, Mr. Mayor! You definitely have the rigging for catching those big cats!

Liketoeat, depending on the lake, we have a great choice down here. Largemouths, crappie, whites, stripers, all kinds of cats, Guadalupe bass (smallmouths), and of course, perch and bluegill. No walleye or pike, of course. They tried stocking trout in a couple of the rivers, but they don't do well here. I'm not a carp fisherman, but there are PLENTY of those, along with gar and gaspergoo.

I honestly don't get out fishing that much anymore, but there was a time you couldn't keep me off the lake (I'm surprised my wife stayed with me all those years ). This thread has made me think of all the wonderful times...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1