Fried Chicken Recipe

Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
2003/04/08 15:29:01 (permalink)

Fried Chicken Recipe

Does anyone have any good fried chicken recipes they wish to share? Pan fried would be the best for my kitchen situation.

16 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 17:00:24 (permalink)
    Here is how I do it:
    1: I use White Lilly flour
    2: I mix flour, ground pepper, soul food seasoning, salt, garlic and ground red pepper altogether. I sort of experiment with what I like. A pinch of this a lot of that and a whole lot of this.
    3: I mix a couple of eggs together along with mile to dip the chicken in. I did the chicken in the egg/milk mixture.
    4: I put the flour/mixture of spices in a Walmart bag/anybag/paper bag and put the chicken in a few pieces at a time and insure that it is coated well.
    5: I use a huge cast iron pan and I fill it half full of peanut oil. I use peanut oil cause it can endure a hotter temp without smoking and setting off your smoke alarm. I tried it with some other oils, my alarm went off, fire department came and I got a lecture.
    6: I put the chicken in and let it brown on one side and then turn it. Generally it takes less cooking time on the second side. I like to cook it at 375. It is a judgement thing. I like it brown and cripsy. I put it on a towel and let it drain.
    7: Drain the oil with the exception of a few (100cc) of oil, leave all the crispys in, add some flour and milk and get ready for some killer gravy.

I realize that this is a little complicated, but if you want good chicken, you gotta put some effort in it. Quite frankly it is cheaper and quicker to buy it if you can find it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 19:22:54 (permalink)
    My Fried Chicken:
    1 chicken, cut up
    3 c. buttermilk or plain milk
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    salt/pepper/paprika
    mix of vegetable shortening & Crisco oil for depth of 1 1/2 inches in pan

Soak chicken in buttermilk or milk for an hour. Mix flour and seasonings in brown paper bag. Drain chicken and put in bag and shake it up until each piece is coated well with flour. Heat shortening and oil in large skillet until pretty hot (I don't use a thermometer, but it should sizzle and pop when you sprinkle a little flour in it.) Add chicken pieces. Cook and turn with tongs until evenly browned. Turn down heat a little and cover. Cook about 15 minutes, or until juices run clear. Drain on crumpled newspaper. Let sit a few minutes, or eat cold.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 20:01:09 (permalink)
    It sounds good, except I was always advised to turn only once. When it was brown one side, I was advised to turn it and let it brown on the other, then pull it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 20:26:11 (permalink)
    Last week I tried the Alton Brown recipe from Food TV

1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    2 cups low fat buttermilk
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Flour, for dredging
    Vegetable shortening, for frying

Place chicken pieces into a plastic container and cover with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
    Melt enough shortening (over low heat) to come just 1/8-inch up the side of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or heavy fry pan. Once shortening liquefies raise heat to 325 degrees F. Do not allow oil to go over 325 degrees F.

Drain chicken in a colander. Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Liberally season chicken with this mixture. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

Place chicken skin side down into the pan. Put thighs in the center, and breast and legs around the edge of the pan. The oil should come half way up the pan. Cook chicken until golden brown on each side, approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side. More importantly, the internal temperature should be right around 180 degrees. (Be careful to monitor shortening temperature every few minutes.)

Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan. Don't drain by setting chicken directly on paper towels or brown paper bags. If you need to hold the chicken before serving, cover loosely with foil but avoid holding in a warm oven, especially if it?s a gas oven.

Everyone said It was very good ... And the left overs went real fast at work the next day
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 21:32:45 (permalink)
    I have been advised to try to let the chicken marinate in buttermilk or other substances for a specified time before frying. I have tried it and for the life of me, I cannot tell a difference. Even thought it sounds good, is there a scientific reason why it is better?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/08 23:37:43 (permalink)
    Response to Paul in Knoxville-the bird is marinated in dairy products for 2 reasons. 1)it draws out unwanted flavours specially when using cultured products like yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk 2)it adds moisture and plumps it up keeping it moist for all applications.

My favourite for frying happened when preparing for a canoe trip. It works well in any arena.

Soak chicken(I like thighs as they are cheap and tasty) in a dairy product for at least 1 hour. Mix together 1 part flour, 1 part italian seasoned bread crumbs, and 1 part chic pea flour. Do the shake and bake thang with bird parts and drop in peanut oil smokin hot till crisp. We had Kentucky chicken in the bush, much to the pleasure of the 20 high school students on the trip whom thought they were having kraft dinner. Mango chutney goes well.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/09 08:11:41 (permalink)
    Mr. rumbelly:

I have never used chick pea flour. What does it do. I suppose it is the crust, but why it instead of wheat flour?
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/09 13:51:17 (permalink)
    Mr. Sundancer

Chic pea flour does indeed make things crisp. Its most common use is in the East Indian fritters called Pakoras. Sort of an Indian tempura. Or also fritters called bajis. You make a batter with the chic pea flour and dip any veg in, fry in hot oil till crisp. Sweet onions are killer. Thats when I started mixing it with the crumbs and regular flour and came out with great results for meat and fish.

Cheers
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/09 14:05:15 (permalink)
    Mr. rumbelly, do you add spices to your chick pea flour

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/11 10:10:16 (permalink)
    Mr. Sundancer

I usually add a bit of curry, cumin or Tony Chacheres seasoning depending on what profile I'm looking for in the final product.
    Try-
    1/2 cup chic pea flour
    3 Tbsp reg flour
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    twist of the pepper mill to suit
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    Mix this all up and add;
    1 Tbsp veg oil
    2 Tbsp water at room temp.

Mix till you get a consitency like fish batter. Obtain a large sweet texas or vidalia onion, peel and slice as for onion rings. Dip in the above mixture and deep fry in peanut oil. Mango chutney on the side, these rarely make it past the kitchen door. Suggested beverage a decent reisling or gewurtztraminer.

Sincerely,
    Rumbelly
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/11 20:49:42 (permalink)
    Mr. rumbelly, I will try your recipe tomorrow. I will be cleaning up my boat and I have a cooker on my dock. while I am doing that, my new chicken recipe will be going. I cannot wait.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    GaGal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/20 13:40:15 (permalink)
    Two things needed for good fried chicken - cast iron chicken fryer and lard! You can't beat the combination, even though you can't medically eat it very often. Cook it done; but cook it quickly. It won't absorb the lard as easily that way. I do soak it in buttermilk overnight(or at least an hour or so) - drain it well and put flour, salt & pepper in a paper sack and throw your chicken in and shake it well to coat. Put it on a drainer for a little bit to dry out some and put it in the bag again if you want it heavily coated. Cook at 350 degrees in the skillet, turning to brown. Drain it and serve it hot! Simple and easy.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/20 18:41:53 (permalink)
    I am not sure that what goes around, comes around, but recently when I have been in Louisiana, which has been quite often, I have seen several restaurants advertsing that they cook, fish, shrimp and chicken in LARD, ????. I could not help it but I tried it and sure enough, the taste was outstanding. What I am afraid of is blood sludge. I cannot afford to occulde at my age. Taste or no Taste? Life or no life?, Do you wanna go outta here tasting good or live a little longer?

Personal questions!!!

I have done all that I have talked about. I use to weight 245 and now I am at 209. I am 61 and I personally want to see more of my grandchildren. I am trying hard, but believe me. It is difficult.

I think I will remain on my L & L diet. What is L & L?????????????

Glad you wanted to know. It is liquor and lettuce. Lettuce by itself ain't so good, but with a little liquor, it ain't important anymore.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/24 11:39:16 (permalink)
    My approach to fried chicken isn't terribly different from what has been posted. I would simply emphasize that the two essential ingredients (besides chicken, flour, and seasoning) are buttermilk and pork fat.

Soak chicken (with skin on) in buttermilk for a half hour or so.

Season White Lily flour with salt, Lawry's garlic salt with parsley, freshly ground black pepper, poultry seasoning, and Hungarian paprika.

Heat cast iron skillet and add lard or bacon grease. Sometimes when I don't have enough bacon grease on hand, I'll mix the grease with vegetable oil.

Roll chicken in seasoned flour and fry until done. HINT: SAVE some of the seasoned flour. Once the chicken is done, remove it and keep it warm in the oven. Pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of the grease in the skillet, and add a couple of tablespoons of the seasoned flour. Stir until the flour is browned, then add milk or cream and stir over medium-low until the gravy is thickened to your liking. Adjust seasoning. I always serve the gravy over rice, but my wife insists on biscuits.

Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/24 11:59:47 (permalink)
    Sauceman:

I like the way you do gravy and chicken gravy is my favorite. I like it over rice, bisquits, frenXXX(liberty fries) and even over the chicken.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Chicken Recipe 2003/04/25 18:19:10 (permalink)
    In an effort to "kick it up a notch" and plagarize a certain well known chef, I am about to put on a batch of fried chicken that will raise a sweat. I am going to add some Cholula to my batter and add some ground hot peppers to the already breaded/battered chicken that has been soaked in buttermilk for several hours.

I have thought about using lard instead of traditional oil. My recent travels to rural Louisiana has shown me that some of the cajun areas are now using lard and in fact advertising that they do so.

The last time I was there which was a month ago, I tried lard fried fish. No comparison with any other oil regarding taste, but the blood sludge will get you pretty quick. You probably will need an arterial roter rooter PDQ. Nothing like a angioplasty for week-end recreation.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1