Fried Chicken

Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
2004/10/11 22:09:14 (permalink)

Fried Chicken

My wife and I stopped in Tunica Mississippi for a meal at The Blue and White. One meal lead to 3 in five days and I must say that I've never had better fried chicken. Now there might be better somewhere that I've not yet tried, so what are the recommendations? I realize the folly of any questions as to who has the best so my question is only what's your favorite?

11 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 00:43:38 (permalink)
    My thoughts on the "Blue and White"
    Pogo and Sauceman: I had the opportunity to stop at the Blue and White. I got there at 10:30AM and their buffet wa not ready until 11:00AM. I waited and had some coffee while reading the memobilia on the wall which was very entertaining. Apparently the place had been there since 1937. One of the cooks or maybe the only cook has been there for 37 years.

I waited until they brought the hot chicken out before I hit the buffet. It was among the best I had ever had. I also had the turnip greens which were highly spiced and a very nice hint of hot peppers and pork. The macaroni and cheese was super as it was heaped with cheese on top and it was also slightly spiced. The green beans were truly southern and the fried green tomatoes made me return to the buffet for seconds. The bread pudding was good but just a little too much cinnamon for me. Homemade rolls and cornbread hit the spot. I sure did blow the Atkins thing but what the heck, there is always next week.

They also had salmon patties and country fried steak on the buffet as well as tiny carrots and peas. I did not try any of it as I was too engrossed with the fried chicken.

I spent the rest of the day at the Gold Strike where blackjack paid for the entire trip.

If you are in the Tunica area, the Sundancer will highly recommend the Blue and White. It is under new ownership and it is very apparent that the new owners liked what was there before. I had never been there before but if it was any better, I would not know how. My guess is the restaurant still has the same staff.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 06:45:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

so my question is only what's your favorite?

i have to say that my favorite place to eat fried chicken has got to be the Loveless Cafe outside of Nashville! Great chicken--awesome biscuits and gravy,great sides and as nice a ride in the country to get there as one could ask for---besides that --you never know who youll run into there! Like you say---there may be better chicken but its my favorite!
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 08:46:10 (permalink)
    or, you might want to try this-

Maryland Fried Chicken

2 slightly beaten eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 1/3 cips fine cracker crumbs
    1 teaspoon Old Bay
    chicken
    3-4 tablespoons shortening

Combine egg and 1/2 cup of the milk. Mix cracker crumbs Old Bay
    and a dash of pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then roll
    in crumbs. In heavy skillet, heat shortening and brown chicken
    pieces, turning with tongs. Add remaining 2 cups of milk to skillet.
    Cover tightly and simmer for 35 minutes; uncover and cook about 10
    minutes or until chicken is done and tender. From pan drippings, make
    cream gravy.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 09:40:47 (permalink)
    The best I ever has was Gus's Fried Chicken in Mason, TN.

http://www.newgomemphis.com/goplay/dining/050201/a2gus.htm

The food came out and I thought it was burned. It has a very dark texture. In the end there wasn't a molocule of chicken meat on the bones ... I wish I had ordered twice as much.

danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 13:07:18 (permalink)
    I've had great fried chicken in Atlanta, Kansas City and even on the outskirts of Chicago. But one place I really enjoyed was just outside Charlottesville, Va., near Thomas Jefferson's estate. This was back in 1992, and we stopped for fried chicken after the tour. The name of the restaurant escapes me. Does anyone know a great fried chicken place near Monticello that I might be thinking of?
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 14:00:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

I've had great fried chicken in Atlanta, Kansas City and even on the outskirts of Chicago. But one place I really enjoyed was just outside Charlottesville, Va., near Thomas Jefferson's estate. This was back in 1992, and we stopped for fried chicken after the tour. The name of the restaurant escapes me. Does anyone know a great fried chicken place near Monticello that I might be thinking of?

I believe you are talking about Michie Tavern. It's been mentioned recently around these threads.

Frank
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/10/12 16:08:06 (permalink)
    Michie might have been the place, although a check of the website doesn't jog my memory. I guess you can forget a lot in 12 years. I'll definitely try Michie if I'm ever back in the area. Thanks.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/11/02 16:47:32 (permalink)
    I thought Indiana and Illinois was the fried chicken circuit, yet see no poists from anyone in that area so maybe I was wrong.

carl reitz
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/11/02 17:52:04 (permalink)
    Carl,

I think there's a fair amount of fried chicken discussion elsewhere in these threads, with representation from mid-country and other regions. Check the Chicken forum under the "Lunch & Dinner" heading .

Frank
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/11/02 18:18:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Carl,

I think there's a fair amount of fried chicken discussion elsewhere in these threads, with representation from mid-country and other regions. Check the Chicken forum under the "Lunch & Dinner" heading .

Frank

There will be probably be fried chicken discussion on many other threads hearafter.

It will be discussed on what is the best and where the best is at?????????

Who will know as it is a matter of taste???????

Perhaps this thread will deliver?

In the Sundancers opinion, this will be discovered with the best taste. Perhaps this will be discovered by the opinion of the posters.

In the Sundancers opinion, I like salt, pepper, dipped in flour, Tennessee seasoning and fried in Canola.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Fried Chicken 2004/11/08 17:27:24 (permalink)
    If ever on I-10 passing Lafayette, LA, get off on University exit and go south 3 miles to Laura's on the left. Soul food and fried chicken that will make you cry it's sooo gooood!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1