The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fried Clam and Oyster

ernest_fl

• Total Posts: 12
Fried Clam and Oyster Sun, 06/25/06 9:24 PM (permalink)
I grew up on the Pacific Coast just above the Columbia River, on a farm in the small town of Long Beach, Washington. Long Beach is situated on a peninsula and the clamming and crabbing used to be fabulous, also fishing. Those were the days when razor clams were big and plentiful. In season we would have razor clams as fritters, chowder, and fried. I never grew tired of them. We also gathered oysters – both the Japanese-seed type and the native oysters – from the sloughs around Willapa Bay. We had oysters raw out of the shell, in cocktails, also fried, roasted, steamed and stew. Fried oyster sandwiches were another favorite. We also had eggs and oysters, also oysters with steak.

Didn't usually put anything but salt and pepper on the fried clams or oyster sandwiches, and made with Mama's home-baked white bread. Now I am retired on the Atlantic coast and can't get razor clams anymore. Can't eat raw oysters anymore either. Too bad.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Fried Clam and Oyster Mon, 06/26/06 6:05 AM (permalink)
    I see razor clams at times in an asian market up here in the Boston area. So you might want to check your area. Chow Jim

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com