Fried Clam and Oyster

Author
ernest_fl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/06/25 21:24:58 (permalink)

Fried Clam and Oyster

I grew up on the Pacific Coast just above the Columbia River, on a farm in the small town of Long Beach, Washington. Long Beach is situated on a peninsula and the clamming and crabbing used to be fabulous, also fishing. Those were the days when razor clams were big and plentiful. In season we would have razor clams as fritters, chowder, and fried. I never grew tired of them. We also gathered oysters – both the Japanese-seed type and the native oysters – from the sloughs around Willapa Bay. We had oysters raw out of the shell, in cocktails, also fried, roasted, steamed and stew. Fried oyster sandwiches were another favorite. We also had eggs and oysters, also oysters with steak.

Didn't usually put anything but salt and pepper on the fried clams or oyster sandwiches, and made with Mama's home-baked white bread. Now I am retired on the Atlantic coast and can't get razor clams anymore. Can't eat raw oysters anymore either. Too bad.

1 Reply Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Fried Clam and Oyster 2006/06/26 06:05:08 (permalink)
    I see razor clams at times in an asian market up here in the Boston area. So you might want to check your area. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1