Fried Clams

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6653
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/25 23:07:03 (permalink)
Not meaning to bash any one particular restaurant but the No-Name has a very bad reputation with folks in the wholesale seafood business and also with local chefs. Their standards are not up to par and none of my friends in the Boston seafood biz eat there. Seems to be strictly for tourists who want a cheap meal.

Anyplace in Ipswich or Essex has awesome fried clams. I gave up on Kelly's on Revere Beach years ago.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/26 10:27:30 (permalink)
Actually--i like the NoName's chowda---of course i first went there years ago when they hadnt expanded and become so well know to everyone in the world---my dad and i would get chowda to go and sit out on the peir to eat it so alot of my attachment is sentimentalo--iwill still do it when im in town to remember Dad--but the rest of the menu is available in SO MANY places out there that are really better. There are lots of small hole in wall local places that really do seafood well all over that area--i remember one in particular out in the burbs--on Rte 1 by Foxboro---the Redwing---killer Fishermans Platter and clams!!!!---it can get busy --if it is--sit at the the bar!
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/21 12:47:32 (permalink)
The season is back!!! Fried clams are a little more expensive than last year, but at least they can be found. Another thread that talks about food costs got me wondering about fried clams. Even at the high prices that we are seeing today, I expect that the food cost for clams is well north of 30%. A local free paper, "Worcester Magazine" has over the years done several cover stories about the best clams in the Worcester Mass area. They are overdue, IMO, to do another, because I think that the rankings have changed. Changed or not, the average clam place here is just as good or better than the average place on the coast, and a lot cheaper.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/21 13:20:42 (permalink)
Here's where I order mine. Dipped in buttermilk and lightly breaded then tossed in the deep frier (with clean oil. . . the only thing I insist on having clean oil for) for a couple minutes. Mmmmm mmmm good.

http://store.wspisp.net/fishermansfleet/Search.bok?no.show.inprogress=1&sredir=1&category=FRESH+SHELLFISH
lobster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/24 19:30:34 (permalink)
In Oregon clams with bellies are non existant unless you do it yourself. I grew up in New Hampshire and clams with bellies were one of my favorite things to eat along with lobster and all other fresh seafood. I found good clams with bellies throughout New Hampshire, Mass. and Maine. One of my favorite places to get them was Durgin Park in Boston. Their portions were (used to be?) monstrous and I could never finish no matter how hard I tried. This was one of the only restauransts that my brothers and I needed a dogy bag at when growing up. Their seafood platter was also outstanding. When I am home visiting my family in New Hampshire every year I make sure to get a pint of clams at the local seafood place. Tthey are always outstanding. Back to Oregon and the west coast. Most clamming here is done for the razor clam which is excellent. However most people prepare them by breading pan frying them after cleaning and removing the bellies (not edible that I know of). Other clams are also dug but are not prepared in the "Ipswitch" style. Last summer I went clamming with friends and we got our limits of the introduced soft shell clam from the east coast. They are the same clams I grew up with back east, except that because they are not often a targeted by diggers, they were large in size and abundant. We can harvest an additional 30 of these soft shell clams in addition to our limit of native clams. Anyways, we got our limit of clams and ate what we could steamed, in a seafood chiopino that night. We still had lots left that I brought home alive in a cooler. I wanted fried clams bad and I found what I wanted for a recipe on the net on chowhounds.com. The secret was to dip the shucked clams into a mixture of condensed milk and egg, and then bread them in a mixture of corn flour and wheat flour, and then frying. The secret is to use corn flour and not corn meal that is coarser and more gritty. I impressed myself and friends I cooked them for even though they had no idea what a whole belly fried clam was all about. I need a whole belly fried clam platter now.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18276
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/24 19:42:57 (permalink)
What, no geoducks?
lobster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/25 18:36:34 (permalink)
No goeducks where I was. I believe they are in deeper water. I have had it before and it was not my favorite bivalve. It has a stronger flavor. I have done well on the soft shells, cockles, manillas, and oysters on my last trips to the coast however. I also have done well on dungenous crabs. MMMMMMM! I love to gather my own food, iIt is so rewarding! Morel season is almost here, and when I harvest some they will go well with some elk steaks from the freezer.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/04/25 19:16:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lobster

No goeducks where I was. I believe they are in deeper water. I have had it before and it was not my favorite bivalve. It has a stronger flavor. I have done well on the soft shells, cockles, manillas, and oysters on my last trips to the coast however. I also have done well on dungenous crabs. MMMMMMM! I love to gather my own food, iIt is so rewarding! Morel season is almost here, and when I harvest some they will go well with some elk steaks from the freezer.

The thing I like about geoducks is how you pronounce the word. Unfortunately, I have no elk this year -- couldn't get out west. I do still have a few whitetails in the freezer, though, as well as grouse, pheasant, rabbit, ducks, geese, doves, squirrels, salmon, steelhead, walleye and some just caught bluegills and crappies.
Mavlily
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/13 07:58:51 (permalink)
We finally made the trip down to Westfair Fish and Chips in Westport, CT yesterday and it was certainly worth the drive from the northwest corner of the state. We had to drive by the area a couple of times before we found it hidden behind another group of stores. It would have been impossible to find if I didn't have the address from this website. My husband and I ordered a small side order of whole belly fried clams and an order of fries which we shared and there was more than enough for the two of us. I also had a cup of their New England clam chowder which was excellent. The clams were just about the best I've ever eaten including those at the Clam Box in Ipswich, MA!! We decided to eat at one of the three tables inside rather than sit in the car and have our golden retriever breathing down our necks looking for a handout. The owner was very pleasant and thanked us for coming which I thought was very nice. We will definitely be returning here soon.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/13 12:00:02 (permalink)
quote:
The thing I like about geoducks is how you pronounce the word. Unfortunately, I have no elk this year -- couldn't get out west. I do still have a few whitetails in the freezer, though, as well as grouse, pheasant, rabbit, ducks, geese, doves, squirrels, salmon, steelhead, walleye and some just caught bluegills and crappies.

Thanks for sharing.

quote:
Posted - 08/05/2004 : 18:37:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just found this today and thought i'd share

Clam Box Fried Clams
Ingredients:
½ cup evaporated milk
¾ cup milk
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
Dash salt and pepper Dash salt and pepper
4 dozen freshly shucked clams
½ cup cake flour
1½ cups yellow cornmeal
Oil for frying
Cooking Instructions:
Combine evaporated and whole milk, egg, vanilla, salt and pepper. Soak clams in liquid, then dredge in combination of cake flour and cornmeal, fluffing them in the flour mix for light but thorough coverage. Shake off excess flour.

Vanilla in a fried clam recipe. That's a new one.

tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/13 15:50:17 (permalink)
GordonW, I never really thought how to make them, but I suppose that it is important. I don't deep fry at home, so all of my clams have been bought ready to eat. In thinking of 4 of my favorite clam places, each makes them a different way. Variety is half the fun! On any given day, I might tell you that the best clams in my area of Massachusetts are at: Clam Box (Ipswich),Harry's (Westborough),Ronnies (Auburn), and Scales (Millbury). There are also a couple of places that my RF friends have told me about off line. I plan to test them this summer! The key, I am told is the wholesale source of clams. I have been told that each of the places mentioned source from the Ipswich Shellfish Company.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/13 22:30:01 (permalink)
I suppose the innards part of a fried clam is pretty much the same all ways around -- clam (depending on the clam variety). It's the coating and frying. Seems a lot of clams are batter dipped and deep fried -- what goes in the batter is the issue. There's a lot of scope for batters. Some are breaded and deep fried -- then it's the breading. My father, who was something of a clam demon, always breaded them -- flour, egg, breading -- and then shallow fried them , like fried chicken. Vanilla is a new twist, maybe something to try.
clamshell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/17 11:21:55 (permalink)
We have been selling fried clams for over fifty years at our drive in. All we use are Canadian clams from Nova Scotia. Alot of people assume all clams come from Mass. or Maine. We do purchase them from Ipswich shellfish though. Some of these breading recipes are a hoot! Never heard of using vanilla. Use beef fat to fry them at 375. the rest of our recipe only has three ingredients kinda simple but they are the best.
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/26 19:25:18 (permalink)
Wonder if anyone can help me out here. I am originally from Mass. and am going back for a visit this summer after 25 years! I love the whole belly fried clams, but I only ever got them from a little drive in, but they tasted good to me! Bringing my husband, who has never had them. We will only be there for a weekend, so looking for the best, closest place to the Springfield area. I'll go to my drive in too, but if anyone knows of another place, please tell me! Thanks.
Chip12414
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/26 21:41:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Woo

I love the whole belly fried clams....looking for the best, closest place to the Springfield area....

The Salmon Run Fish House, 78 Main St., in Lee, MA (about 50 miles from Springfield), offers fresh full bellied fried clams. This is a rather upscale restaurant and the menu prices the fried clam dinner at "Market". I went there for lunch and the price was $18, but that included a wonderful salad, baked potato and grilled vegetable. Be sure to call ahead to verify that fried full-bellied clams are available on the day you want to go. 413-243-3900
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/27 12:04:50 (permalink)
Mrs Os in Lanesborough gets a nice review on this site if you want to go Northwest. Howard's on Rt 9 half way to Worcester also does a good job, but they are best known for lobster rolls. Use Rt 20 instead of Rt 9, and there is a nice seafood place on the Palmer - Brimfield line. I have not eaten their fried clams, but I have seen them being served there. They may be the closest depending on what part of Springfield you are in. Come a little closer to Worcester and there are some other great places mentioned earlier in this thread.
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/27 12:45:55 (permalink)
Prices will be going up-see my post on the Red Tide shutting down NE shellfish beds.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/27 17:56:57 (permalink)
Originally posted by jellybear

I havent had any of these in a long time so I decided to try some the other nite and all I can say is WOW!what have I been missing,They were great!Whats your favorite clam recipie?Do you use flour and cormeal or a commerical bread mixture?Ive got clams right out my backdoor!
[/quote

Anybody know of a good place to get GOOD fried clims in Indiana or Michigan?

I know this maybe a silly question, but many years ago, we were able to get good fried claims at Howard Johnsons in both Indiana and Michigan!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/27 18:14:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451
[

I know this maybe a silly question, but many years ago, we were able to get good fried claims at Howard Johnsons in both Indiana and Michigan!

No you weren't. You were able to get fried clam strips at Howard Johnson's.
Woo
Hamburger
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/28 13:06:38 (permalink)
Thank you Chip and tmiles for your suggestions, I sure appreciate them! I hope there are some available with that Red Tide, DaveM, don't want to have to take out a loan to get them! Since I haven't been there for so long, I don't even remember when clam season is - summer, hopefully? We'll be coming in from Ohio and going to the Springfield area and then up to the Berkshires. Thanks for the info.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7691
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/28 15:27:37 (permalink)
quote:

[[/quote

The day you can get good fried clams in Indiana or Michigan will be the day that I can find good BBQ or Fried Chicken here in New England!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/28 15:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

[[/quote

The day you can get good fried clams in Indiana or Michigan will be the day that I can find good BBQ or Fried Chicken here in New England!

I can't speak for Indiana or Michigan, but there was a place in the Columbus, Ohio area that had excellent fried clams and Massachusetts-style roast beef sandwiches. It lasted just about a year, shutting down last fall.
Woo
Hamburger
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/28 17:18:05 (permalink)
Hey tmiles, do you happen to know the name of the place on the Palmer/Brimfield line? That would be closest. The place in Lee that Chip recommended we could hit on our way back from a day trip to Savoy, that would be nice. Thanks again for the suggestions!
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/28 17:44:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
[

No you weren't. You were able to get fried clam strips at Howard Johnson's.

All right! If we are going to get nick picky on Memorial Day Weekend. I used to get the best frip claim stips,I ever had in Indiana or Michigan, at Howard Johnson in both of thosse states!!!!!
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/31 12:31:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Woo

Hey tmiles, do you happen to know the name of the place on the Palmer/Brimfield line? That would be closest. The place in Lee that Chip recommended we could hit on our way back from a day trip to Savoy, that would be nice. Thanks again for the suggestions!

CJs is actually in Monson Mass. It is right on Rt 20 and it will be on your left as you head east from Springfield. It is very easy to find, and hard to miss due to the nautical theme. I don't have an area code, but the phone is 283-2196. You can find my review in the thread for the best fried clams in New England.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried Clams 2005/05/31 16:52:19 (permalink)
I read in the Globe last week that red tide is expected to be really bad this year - it's starting in Cape Cod Bay, apparently a bad sign, since it normally comes south from the Gulf of Maine.
Woo
Hamburger
RE: Fried Clams 2005/06/05 10:53:05 (permalink)
Thank you tmiles, we will have to go there! One more question, I didn't see a forum for this, but only looked back 3 pages. My husband is also wanting soft shell crabs - any chance on finding a place near where we will be with them on the menu??? Thanking you and anyone else with an answer in advance......
Lynn
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 625
RE: Fried Clams 2005/06/27 17:59:46 (permalink)
I think I have a better understanding of what a whole belly is....so it must taste somewhat like a fried oyster, only sweeter?

Anyone can to advise this landlubber? (I love seafood, and get it whenever I can, especially on the coasts. Just never experienced a whole-belly clam.)
robn55
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Fried Clams 2005/07/03 08:57:56 (permalink)
While I was in Florida recently I found a place to get Ipswich Clams dinner and they were out of this world. The place is called Rosie's Clam Shack, 6657 49th Street, Pinellas Park, FL 33781 (727) 527-6700 The meal was so worth the drive. Hope it helps someone close to the area.
Robin
Mark in VT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Fried Clams 2005/07/03 09:46:01 (permalink)
My folks are from Maine, and I can't pass the Clam Bake on Pine Point without stopping for some awesome Fried Clams. My wife and I are heading that way the first of August. Hope the Red Tide has not completely shut down the clams. I will be glad to pay top dollar to taste those sweet tender clams !
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1