Fried Clams

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Fried Clams 2005/07/03 11:02:54 (permalink)
Just got back from a trip to Cape Ann...and the Red Tide restrictions there will soon be lifted (they already have been south towards Cape Cod). Had the fried clams at the Clam Box---great batter, nice texture---not gooey, but lacking the sweetness that I've read about. Still, worth it ($21.95 for the clam platter which my wife and I split after a late lunch)--and I'm sure they'll get even better shortly. You can't beat that place for atmosphere!!!! Great lobster at Essex Seafood too! All of the Gloucester stops were gems---Turtle Alley (incredible), Boulevard Ocean (meaty scallops in a wine/tomato sauce) and Caffe Sicilia (the apricot-filled round cookie was especially mind blowing).
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2016
RE: Fried Clams 2005/07/25 15:56:39 (permalink)
Any comments on the fried clam season? Red tide first caused a shortage, and now a surplus of clams. I have a theory...... The fried clams that we got up here in New England were either Maryland clams or frozen clams. They were not as good as usual. Now that the red tide is over, clammers are having a hard time selling their catch at a decent price. I think it is a combination of people who ate some so-so clams and who are in no rush to buy more, and other people who think the red tide is still "here". Demand is way down. For the record, red tide is still in some places, but enough places have opened to keep the clammers busy. Buy some fried clams, or buy some steamers. It is summer and they taste good. The diggers need to make a living. I had a great clam roll last Friday at Scales in Millbury Mass. I didn't get sick. Update, I had more clams today at another well known, locally famous place. I am either losing my taste for fried clams, or they just are not as good. I'll keep trying though....... If you have been getting enough clams this summer, what do you think of them??
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/06 21:07:15 (permalink)
I'll be in Mass a week from now, plan on having lot's of whole belly fried clams, going to try to get to CJ's and on our way to the Berkshires we plan a stop at the Miss Florence Diner on Rt. 9, been there, tmiles? Cannot wait!
Mark in VT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/09 18:20:06 (permalink)
Just got back from Kennybunk, ME.
I was really disappointed with the whole bellies this year.
I ordered a 1/2 Clam, 1/2 Haddock platter at Capt'n Hooks for 22.95.
It contained a dozen clams, a fairly nice piece of haddock and a boat load of french fries !!!!
On the way home we stopped by the Weathervane in Lebenon, NH.
The whole belly clam plate was 22.95, while the 1/2 clam, 1/2 scallop plate was 14.95. Clams were pretty good, but really skimpy.
Hopefully by the time I return to ME, The Clambake, or Kens will have the clams I grew to love !
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/10 10:14:35 (permalink)
I stopped at West Boylston Seafood, Rt 12 West Boylston Mass 508 853 3655, last night. Even though they have put up a new building it is a classic retail/wholesale shop with a counter service restaurant in part of the building. For 7.99, I got a whole belly clam roll, fries and slaw. It was a good deal on a good meal.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/10 10:30:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in VT

Hopefully by the time I return to ME, The Clambake, or Kens will have the clams I grew to love !

Ken's in Skowhegan?
Mark in VT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/10 19:41:57 (permalink)
No, Kens is on Pine Point........
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/10 20:39:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in VT

No, Kens is on Pine Point........

Don't know that one.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/12 23:46:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

Trivia tease...Name this tune:
"Ethel? you wanna eat some clams? (Johnson Howard, Johnson Howard, Johnson Howard)

Billy the Mountain actually said, "Ethel? There's a Howard Johnson! Wanna Eat some CLAMS?" as quoted by the king of independent music himself, Frank Zappa.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Fried Clams 2005/08/12 23:48:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tikiand Mainiac or Down Easter--your both "Yankees"!

What's ironic is, when you consider the etymology of the word "Yankee", that it doesn't apply to us Cheeseheads from Wisconsin, except in the deepest south, to my knowledge.

According to my Funk and Wagnall, English settlers to New York used to rib Dutch settlers because of their affinity for a certain dairy food by calling them "John Cheese". The Dutch gave it back to the English, and in Dutch it came out "Yan Kees".

My only experience with clams was working at Howard Johnson in the eighties during third shift (can you say "Bar time rush?" I got TWO of those on Saturdays, as bars closed later in the city than the burbs for some reason). Liked them fine, but not enough to pay for them. I'd get there early on Fridays and the kitchen staff new to save me my leftover clams.
clamshell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Fried Clams 2005/09/01 15:55:28 (permalink)
hey top...I have been to Kens in Skowhegan many times. Usualy on my sled. Just so we stay on topic....I have been selling just as many gallons of clams this year as in the past. The price topped out at $122.00/gallon. Paid 88.00/gallon for this weekend. I did notice that some gallons were filled with very large clams as soon as they were allowed to resume digging.
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2005/09/29 10:03:59 (permalink)
The Red Tide is over, and the local clam beds are open. Those Maryland clams were just not as good as the Massachusetts, Maine, and Canadian clams. Maybe the best clams come from colder water. I've had fried clams several times over the last two weeks, and they have been great. As clamshell has noted, they have been good sized too. Lots of the Northeast clam places close for the winter in less than a month, so if you want some, come on up. Color season has already started in northern New England.
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Fried Clams 2005/10/09 16:12:28 (permalink)
Almost forgot, tmiles, we did go to Mass. and went to the place you suggested, CJ's in Monson and it was very, very good! My husband had never had whole belly clams before, and he loved them. It was a huge plateful for the price, along with a small salad, baked potato and an ear of fresh corn for about $17. Thanks for the suggestion.
Searcher
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Fried Clams 2005/10/18 07:51:54 (permalink)
Clamshell,
Where did you pay $88 for a gallon of shucked clams? Were they Maine or Maryland clams?
George (Searcher)
Chip12414
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Fried Clams 2005/10/18 22:38:06 (permalink)
Just got back from Boston. Wow...clams are back. Had the "native clam" plate at the Clam Box in Ipswich ($18.25 including fried onion rings). Ahhh...these were not strips, but they were not full belly either. Only after being serve, did I notice in small print "ask for full bellies if you prefer them". The clams I had were small and fresh, but had *very* little clam taste. Really....a major dissappointment at this famous place. I had far better luck at Kelly's on Revere Beach (famous for its roast beef *and* its fried clams). I had their clam roll, and well, fried clams could not possibly be better than these. Nice light batter and full bellied clams that seemed to have real salt water taste. I took a photo, and posted it at http://solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u=4201yK6N5&i=53870

Now...I am going to try and see if I can make this photo appear right here, using the Forum's recommended code... There can never be better friend clams anywhere, and I hope this photo posts.
Aniyah7371
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Fried Clams 2005/12/27 13:45:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nyclthrm8
).
:o) Well thats exactly what i thought.:lol::lol:

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/02 13:40:13 (permalink)
Is that what you paid 18 bucks for?Man,Im sitting on a goldmine!
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/02 14:18:31 (permalink)
im in south fl. between boca and palm beach. where can i get belly clams??? where can i get paella port. style?? HELP
JimS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/12 16:05:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marky

im in south fl. between boca and palm beach. where can i get belly clams??? where can i get paella port. style?? HELP

I came from Ipswich many years ago and so I know and appreciate whole belly clams. There is a restaurant in St. Petersburg, FL, that is fantastic -- and not too expensive: The Casual Clam on 9th Street and 34th Avenue N.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/12 16:21:27 (permalink)

While in college in Salem,MA a generation back I worked for HoJo's for a couple of years. I ate a lot of the clam strips that we served at that time. They are a totally different taste-consistency-and eating experience from the Whole Belly Clams found at some of the places like Woodmans in Essex and the Clam Box in Ipswich and McIntyres in Rowley. Both have their fine points and I won't bad-mouth either, but it really isn't fair to compare them. "Apples to Oranges" is more what they are.
I love the Clams in the Rough- a plate load of Whole-Bellies and Onion Rings.
We have enjoyed some great Clam Chowder and Steamers in Oregon at several places....Mo's in Newport for one. I am really suprised that the New England-style of bread/batter and quick deep fry the whole clam either doesn't work, or hasn't caught on on the Western Coast. They certainly have the clams that could be used????? Anyone know "Why", or "Why Not"??
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/12 18:21:42 (permalink)
Here was where I was at. The spelling ain't so good but it was a wonderful place.

The Sundancer did the clam thing in Ipswitch (SIC) I think a few years a go. It was built like a paper container for clams. I t look so neat that I had to stop. I went in and order a huge amounts of clams the from huge menu they had. I enjoyed them on my way back to Portland, Maine.

I had been over to Gloushershire (beat me up for spelling it wrong) to see the site for the movie "The Perfect Storm" I went to the bar where the portions of the movie was at and had a few beers.

I certainly enjoyed the clams at this colorful place.

Lleechef is aware of the location and she coached me on how to spell it and the name but you know us old folks, we CRS

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
acornlover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/12 18:42:24 (permalink)
Mr. Sundancer, I think you mean "The Clam Box" in Ipswich, Mass, always a long line, I used to love it there back in high school though.
And "The Perfect Storm" was filmed in Gloucester, Mass and they have great food there too.

McIntyres is no longer open, I used to like it there as well.

Ok now that I am craving clams, grrrrr

KB
mediamover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Fried Clams 2006/01/23 16:46:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

The first time I was served real whole fried clams in a real Clam Shack, I thought "What the &%@#&&??" For me a fried clam will always be the memory of Howard Johnson's Fried Tendersweet Clam Roll. Boy those were great.

The buns were almost the best part! I used to LOVE those! Anthony's Seafood in the San Diego area has really good clams, not whole ones though.
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Fried Clams 2006/02/22 13:02:58 (permalink)
Some west coast clams were mentioned like the razor and geoduck but there another favorite that is in the bays but not often seen for sale in markets. This clam is known by a few names including Empire, Blue, Horseneck, and Gaper. They are dug mostly on the mud flats within the bays are usually within a foot or two of the surface. Their necks extent to the surface and retract when disturbed although the body & shell remain in place. They are more choice and full during certain times of the year and the bodies or bellies provide a significant amount of meat. Some individual clams weigh two pounds or more in the shell. Two nice clams will be more than a meal for a hungry eater. Cleaning and preparing when done correctly is well worth the effort. The necks are usually split open and pounded then fried along with the bodies. Twelve clams are the daily limit and Oregon now requires a shellfish harvest license.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Fried Clams 2006/03/13 20:03:25 (permalink)
Drove by the Clam Box last week they are open a sign that spring is almost here in New England. I was on my way for lunch of fried clams elsewhere and noticed that their lot had a few cars, so it couldn't have been much of a wait. Chow Jim
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7032
RE: Fried Clams 2006/03/13 20:22:53 (permalink)
You lucky dogs....er........clams! The Clam Box is already open in Ipswich! And of course Sundancer was right about going to Gloucester.........to The Crow's Nest.
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2006/03/14 10:14:41 (permalink)
Last weekend was beautiful here, so the places that pushed the season did well. I have had excellent clams all winter at several local year around places, but I look forward to the opening of Howard's and Ronnie's over the next couple of weeks. It has not been a bad winter in New England, but spring is always better! It is time for me to get going on planning my spring fried clam mini meet.
lobster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Fried Clams 2006/03/14 19:29:44 (permalink)
Oregon and Washington have soft shell steamer clams in most estuaries. They are considered a non native species and were introduced from the east coast via the oyster industry. In Oregon you can dig an additional 30 soft shell clams, in addition to the bag limmit of the native clams. I went clamming on the Umpqua estuary a couple of years ago and we all got our limmits of soft shells. I ended up frying some of them New England style (dredged in corn and wheat flour after a soak in evaporated milk/water and egg bath). I did this because as you know you can't find them this way on the West coast. I don't think they harvest the soft shells commercially as they are considered inferior to the natives. When I was leaving to go home I stopped for lunch at a seafood place at the marina and I asked why they did not serve wholebelly clams. They had no idea what I was talking about. This is fine with me because I love soft shells steamed, fried and in chowders. More for the people who like to play in the mud.

While in college in Salem,MA a generation back I worked for HoJo's for a couple of years. I ate a lot of the clam strips that we served at that time. They are a totally different taste-consistency-and eating experience from the Whole Belly Clams found at some of the places like Woodmans in Essex and the Clam Box in Ipswich and McIntyres in Rowley. Both have their fine points and I won't bad-mouth either, but it really isn't fair to compare them. "Apples to Oranges" is more what they are.
We have enjoyed some great Clam Chowder and Steamers in Oregon at several places....Mo's in Newport for one. I am really suprised that the New England-style of bread/batter and quick deep fry the whole clam either doesn't work, or hasn't caught on on the Western Coast. They certainly have the clams that could be used????? Anyone know "Why", or "Why Not"??
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Fried Clams 2006/04/05 19:52:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lobster

Oregon and Washington have soft shell steamer clams in most estuaries. They are considered a non native species and were introduced from the east coast via the oyster industry. In Oregon you can dig an additional 30 soft shell clams, in addition to the bag limmit of the native clams. I went clamming on the Umpqua estuary a couple of years ago and we all got our limmits of soft shells. I ended up frying some of them New England style (dredged in corn and wheat flour after a soak in evaporated milk/water and egg bath). I did this because as you know you can't find them this way on the West coast. I don't think they harvest the soft shells commercially as they are considered inferior to the natives. When I was leaving to go home I stopped for lunch at a seafood place at the marina and I asked why they did not serve wholebelly clams. They had no idea what I was talking about. This is fine with me because I love soft shells steamed, fried and in chowders. More for the people who like to play in the mud.

Lobster,
As a fellow Oregonian I think you already know the answer and it's spelled "Razor". The premier frying clam in the PNW is the Razor and this leaves the others in its' wake. Actually, I prefer the Gaper but due to its less glamorous appearance and additional cleaning work involved it is not usually found in the markets. Same goes for the softshells and the nice quahogs which you never see eaten raw here. Pity.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Fried Clams 2006/04/05 20:25:34 (permalink)
Trask and Lobster: Nice writing by both of you. I am not very knowledgeable about clams and the combination of your writings gave me additional knowledge.

I did not know that just a couple of some clams would make a meal. Trask, you provided that knowledge. Also I did not know that they buried so deep and reached their nutrients at the surface. How do they do that?

I will appreciate clams more in the future now. My only experience with clams was at the Clam Shack. They were fried and I thought they were super but I can tell that there is much more. I can't wait until my next experience.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1