Fried Clams

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/13 18:45:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Those Clams are long dead by the time they hit Ohio.

Sorry jellyroll, but I grew up digging clams. When I buy them here in Ohio I check them to make sure they;re alive. Any that are dead get buried by the fishmonger, not by me.

If you're really intent on being a smartass you'll need to have some rudimentary knowledge to qualify.
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/14 09:25:36 (permalink)
Sorry,I forgot you were a Marine Biologist on top of other things,Tell me more about those Sauger Salmons!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/14 11:16:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Sorry,I forgot you were a Marine Biologist on top of other things,Tell me more about those Sauger Salmons!

Thanks for proving that you can't qualify as a smartass.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/14 11:54:33 (permalink)
You are so welcome Creampuff.
dale8783
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/17 19:54:52 (permalink)
Maybe I missed it. I didn't notice anyone suggesting Bubbling Brook in Westwood, Massachusetts. It is on the corner of High Street and Route 109. Check out the menu at www.bubblingbrook.net. I am originally from the North Shore in Massachusetts (supposedly known for the best tasting seafood). Well, my opinion is the best whole fried clams are on the South Shore in Westwood. Bubbling Brook is an ice cream stand at first glance. Check out the menu and then try the food for yourself. You won't be sorry.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2013
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/18 13:21:17 (permalink)
I couldn't make the Bubbling Brook link work, but I did find the site via Google. It looks like a good place.
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/18 13:26:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by katieoaks

Some Ipswich clammers are wearing new hats, embroidered with a softshell clam and "Clam War 2006". Competition from local seafood distributors is heating up. It is being said that one distributor is looking to freeze 55,000 gallons of clams for inventory when the flats get closed bt red-tide. Remember the Clam Famine of 2005?

Well they were right to worry about clam bed closures. The local paper, this morning, said that due to recent flooding, lots of clam beds will be closed for some time. The Merrimack river fresh water volume is hurting clam beds as far south as Boston. The fresh water, and the nutreants that it carries, makes the red tide grow faster.

I don't know how the frozen clams are, but I did note earlier in this thread that some of the clams last summer were not as good as usual. I don't know if it was a case of a good clam becoming less good when frozen, or just clams that were not as good in the first place.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/18 22:58:40 (permalink)
If we get an inch of rain or more they always close the flats. It has something to due with the bactieria count. The flat closing also is dierctly related to the tides whether it's large run out or not. Most if not all clams {shucked} that are put up for the restaraunt industry are frozen. Last years Red Tide was the first we sufferd since the mid 70's thats in the Ipswich area. I don't know what these clam wars are about mentioned in another thread but I do know this that only a certian number of commericial licences are alloted every year and the diggers are restricted on how much they can dig don't quote me but I think it might be 3 busshles a day {2 tides} they call that racking out. There are many days that you can only dig one tide or a half of tide. Therefore the wholsalers know what they can max out on a given day. When you go to your local grocer or fish monger or restaraunt for that matter if they are advertising Ipswich Clams ask to see the tag. All shellfish has to be taged where they were harvested. Living in the area and knowing a number of diggers I see the abuse that is taken. Good example is that a large grocery store in the Lowell area was advetising Ipswich clams for $2.89lb last year and I asked the attendant behind the counter to see the tag, I was told that it was not store policy. When I stated that it was Law she called her supervisor and was shown the tag. The clams were dug in Maine but distributed by the Ipswich Shelfish Company. So let the buyer beware, there are only so many diggers and only select flats that are open at a given time. The diggers could not supply all the restaraunts that adertise the Ipswich clam. Chow Jim
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/19 11:24:04 (permalink)
Thanks, Jim.

My understanding is that the current closure is due to sewage (and probably other nasty crap) pouring into the bay from the rivers. Thus the bacteria (e coli) count is elevated. I did hear that the Lowell sewage plant was overwhelmed fairly early on in the rain cycle and started pouring untreated sewage into the Merrimac. Sure that others had the same problem. That's typical in any serious rain (although less common than it was some years ago before many systems were improved). On top of that there's God knows added to the flow from surface flooding.

Not sure if elevated sewage provides food for red tide. I think red tide outbreaks are related to warmer than usual water temperatures, but that could be old information from the 70s outbreaks.

So, it's not a good start to the shellfish season in Massachusetts Bay, but it could clear up pretty quickly. Let's hope!
katieoaks
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/19 20:49:23 (permalink)
Yup, Ipswich flats are closed due to Red Tide, which blooms with fresh water increase and takes 6 weeks to cure. There are good clams elsewhere, some I know prefer Maine clams, coming from colder water, especially in the summer. The best you can do is buy the best available and hope the cook knows how to treat the supply differently!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 06:23:49 (permalink)
Katie, please don't raise that flag yet. The flats are closed due to excessive surface water run off and this happens regulary during any given year. Useually it only takes an inch of rain to cause the flats to close for 3 or 4 days at a time. Red Tide is all together different, it is an active algae that is prevalant in the Bay of Funday and Casco Bay about 50 miles off coast and has many contributing factors on an outbreak or bloom as it is called. Although the marine bioligists at Woods Hole are predicting the likely reocurance of a bloom this year it should not be as bad as last year only time will tell. So I repeat the is NO red tide at this time. It may take a week for are flats to reopen but those bi-valves will be as good as ever. Fellow Roadfooders when in the New England area please be sure to sample those suculant crustations from our shores with peace of mind. Chow Jim
Suds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 08:47:58 (permalink)
I work at the Clam Box and have been told by two shelfish distributors there is red tide. Some parts of Maine and some of Cape Cod are open. This means it will be atleast 6 weeks before they open the flats again. It looks to be another long summer.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 11:12:10 (permalink)
OK Suds now you have my hackles up. What are you trying to do have a lazy day at work by scareing off the coustomers. I do my homework and check on the conditions of the flats 3 to 4 times a week. The easyest way is to check for bullitens issued. www.oceanservice.noaa.gov/redtide/ and one more thing just how often dose a utility cook or window jockey get to speak to the distributors? I do repeat there is No Red Tide at this time. Flats are closed due to large ammounts of rain that we have had in the past week and will reopen when fecal bacteria ammounts are in a safe level.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 11:36:31 (permalink)

quote:
Jimeats Posted - 05/20/2006 : 11:12:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flats are closed due to large ammounts of rain that we have had in the past week and will reopen when fecal bacteria ammounts are in a safe level.

there are safe amounts of fecal matter for human consumption ???? ooooooohhhhh god Jimeats you didn't have to mention that. Is that what makes the Ipswich clam so unique ? damn and so close to Woodman's my favorite east coast seafood joint.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 13:07:54 (permalink)
Time to eat a little crow, just came back from having lunch in Ipswich and I was informed that indeed a directive was recieved yesterday, flats closed due to red tide. The news outlets have yet to be notified. Although they are not sure if in fact it's due to large ammounts of recent rain. There is plenty of clam stock on hand at this time, but there will be no native fresh steamers for awhile. Sorry about that, Chow Jim
katieoaks
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 14:07:24 (permalink)
Jim, thanks for your apology; getting "hackled" over red tide is a bit foolish! So Jim did ya stand in line at the Clam Box? Rain creates "brakish water" in the salt water, allowing algea bloom, which "red tide is" Sorry to bring this up, but lobsta, flounda and clams( amongst others) are "bottom feeders and well, do well in chit....Jim have you visited any of the clam aquaculture sites in Plum Island Sound? Hope your cellar is dry! Did they find that drowned guy yet?
Suds
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 16:19:35 (permalink)
Jim I've been a cook at the Clam Box for 30+ years I hope I've risen above utility cook or window jockey by now. I have to know what is going on with the clam flats. I get my info from the dealers and clammers not from slow goverment web site. So I can keep our customers informed. Have a great day. Say hi if you ever stop by.
Dale
katieoaks
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/20 16:32:01 (permalink)
And Jim, you should know it was Suds who was asked specifically to cook for the Sterns and their Roadfood Tour a few weeks ago...Out of all the restaurants they critiqued, only The Clam Box was awarded 100% across the ratings. Suds is also their State Certified Food Safety resident!While not all clams are created equal, the expert knows how to adjust cooking to make them the best and the worst cooks can ruin the best clams!
dale8783
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/21 15:58:08 (permalink)
I checked after I made the post and this forum doesn't allow you to click on the address I listed for Bubbling Brook. If you type in the address you will get access to the menu. From the outside, the place looks like the usual ice cream stand. There are many different flavors of ice cream to choose from. Quite frequently while eating ice cream outside you can smell the fried clams and grilled burgers. Yes, the hot dogs and burgers are good too.
nyclthrm8
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Fried Clams 2006/05/27 18:48:21 (permalink)
a much delayed 'thanks' -- they're still there, still great and still worth a quick trip from brooklyn. i may go this week when i have to work in nassau cty a few days.
quote:
Originally posted by Rustywolf

NYC - Try Bigelow's on Sunrise Highway in Rockville Center. I always thought it was terrific, but it's been years since I've been there. - Rusty
Suds
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/07 14:33:04 (permalink)
The local rumor factory has the Ipswich clam flats opening on Wed. 7/12. Not sure how accurate that is. I do know on 6/29 the red tide count in Ipswich was 48 Essex was 71. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Clams are getting scarce and expensive.
tmiles
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/08 09:54:42 (permalink)
According to the paper, it has not been a good year for clam diggers up here. The good news is that there is a good crop of clams to dig. The bad news is that the beds are closed more than they are open. The same story said that a lot of places that never used frozen clams are using them now.
Suds
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/08 22:45:55 (permalink)
Yes it has been a bad spring for clammers and restaurants alike. Way too much rain then red tide. Good news is the count for clams in Ipswich was 46 on Fri. 7/7. They will retest on Tues.7/11 results will be back on Wed. or Thurs. With luck flats will be opened later this week. As for using frozen clams. I won't cook them. below is a sign we will put out if necessary. If I wont feed it to my Mother I wont feed it to you.

Due to the continuing outbreak of red tide,The only native clams available at this time have been previously frozen. This greatly reduces the quality of the clams, we at the Clam Box will not serve them. Strip clams are still available at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/10 14:22:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by katieoaks

And Jim, you should know it was Suds who was asked specifically to cook for the Sterns and their Roadfood Tour a few weeks ago...Out of all the restaurants they critiqued, only The Clam Box was awarded 100% across the ratings. Suds is also their State Certified Food Safety resident!While not all clams are created equal, the expert knows how to adjust cooking to make them the best and the worst cooks can ruin the best clams!

On my way back from Logan airport, going back home (When I was living in Freeport, ME), I took a detour to take me thru that area of Mass. I was moving to SC, and it was my last few days in Maine.

It was the last week of February, I think the 23rd, and my friend and I stopped at the Clam Box to get a bite to eat.
(one of the few places that was open)
The parking lot was PACKED!
There must have been at least a half hour wait to give our order.
Unfortunately, we had to get going, so I missed out on my chance to get something to eat there, but I swear, the next time I take a detour like that again, I am going to stop in again and WAIT!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/11 05:15:23 (permalink)
Roossey, Don't send fellow Roadfooders there in Febuary because they are closed. They don't open untill sometime in March.
Suds
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/11 05:47:12 (permalink)
Roossey, Don't send fellow Roadfooders there in Febuary because they are closed. They don't open untill sometime in March.
Suds
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/11 05:57:32 (permalink)
We used to open on the first Thursday in March. This year we openend on Feb. 16th.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/11 21:19:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Suds

We used to open on the first Thursday in March. This year we openend on Feb. 16th.

See?
I wasn't joshing anyone.....
And it was cold as hell also!
Snowed on the way back to Maine.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/12 06:47:36 (permalink)
Time to eat some more crow, gee I hate it when the feathers get stuck in my teeth. I was indisposed in Febuary and unaware that the Clam Box had reopened early this year, in the past it was always March. I just didn't want to have someone traveling any distance and looking for a good meal to be dissapointed when they get there. Now that said, anybody got any good Crow recipes out there? Chow Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/12 08:02:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Time to eat some more crow, gee I hate it when the feathers get stuck in my teeth. I was indisposed in Febuary and unaware that the Clam Box had reopened early this year, in the past it was always March. I just didn't want to have someone traveling any distance and looking for a good meal to be dissapointed when they get there. Now that said, anybody got any good Crow recipes out there? Chow Jim

I do have one really good one if you are seriously interested.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1