Fried Clams

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Author
HenryYee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/14 10:55:52 (permalink)
Suds, any info on the fresh clams? Was thinking of stopping by this weekend.
Suds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/14 13:02:40 (permalink)
We will have fresh clams this weekend.(wont serve frozen). They will be from Cape Cod.
HenryYee
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/17 11:24:08 (permalink)
Went to the clam box yesterday. Excellent Big belly clams. Thanx Suds.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/17 13:27:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HenryYee

Went to the clam box yesterday. Excellent Big belly clams. Thanx Suds.

Henry,

we ate your restaurant last night and the food has greatly improved.
http://www.planet99.com/chicagoland/restaurants/3555.html

CSD
HenryYee
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/17 15:49:48 (permalink)
Sorry CSD,
not my restaurant.
But glad u had a good meal.

Henry
Suds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Fried Clams 2006/07/18 09:59:44 (permalink)
Great news! Today area N7 In Ipswich opened for clamming. Thats the back of the beach. The rest of Ipswich is scheduled to open on Friday. Lets hope for no rain.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1984
RE: Fried Clams 2006/08/14 15:50:35 (permalink)
Since Suds posted the good news, I have had excellent fried clams (but not at his place), and last night had some very good steamers. The steamers were fresh, for sure. The fried clams could have been frozen for all I know, but if they were, somebody really knows how to freeze clams. There is no real rain in sight. I hope that the beds remain open.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Fried Clams 2006/08/15 07:42:52 (permalink)
Anyone know the hours at the Clam Box? I'm driving from Virginia to Maine next Tuesday - staying the night in the area. I want to make sure I get to the Mecca I've been drooling over for years.

Thanks, Doug
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Fried Clams 2006/08/15 08:11:25 (permalink)
I don't get to that side of town often, but I am going to say 11am to 8pm you will be safe in that window of time. Chow Jim
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Fried Clams 2006/08/20 16:47:07 (permalink)
At the suggestion of fhoran and other Roadfooders we had lunch at the Bubbling Brook in Westwood today. Great recommendation.

I'll start by saying that I'm not a North Shore snob when it comes to clams, in fact I was raised to believe that while fried clams may have been invented on the North Shore, they were perfected on the Cape. May be because with a grandfather with a serious heart condition the lard the North Shore places were then famous for using was forbidden and I never got the taste for it (until later in life).

The clam roll was as large as it should be. Grilled roll flattened out with enough clams that more than half had to be eaten before you could attempt to pick it up. Clams themselves were on the small side (could be the current market) but tender and sweet. Batter was light and crispy. The Wife had the scallop roll which was similarly mounded with medium sized sweet scallops fried to a cripy medium brown. We split an order of onion rings which were very good. Large thin rings with the same light batter cooked blonde with browning spots. Not super crispy, but the onion inside was cooked tender, sweet and juicy. Clams were definitely a step up from one experience at the Red Wing, although Red Wing does do oysters (and serve beer).

The place itself is worth a visit for nostalgia buffs. Made me think of what HoJo's probably was like in the 20s or 30s. Classic New England ice cream stand with a take out window and small service dining area. Teenaged girls handled the service well (this is a seasonal operation) and the place was spotless. Sandwiches and burgers looked real and old-fashioned and they had a meatloaf special. Ice cream was flying out of the place and the fudge, butterscotch (or maybe it was caramel) and marshmallow toppings looked real.

Great clams for away from the coast and a really cute spot. We'll be back.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5076
RE: Fried Clams 2006/08/20 17:39:42 (permalink)
Oh, how I envy you lucky guys living on the Atlantic coast. I have been living in Dallas for over 35 years and there ain't no such thing as fried (or fresh) clams here.
On a rare trip to NY a few years ago, I ate clams at least once a day. One time I ate 3 dozen littlenecks in one sitting.
cwjudyjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Fried Clams 2006/09/23 15:12:18 (permalink)
I'm new to this forum. Anyone know where to find whole-belly fried clams on the Delmarva peninsula or around the Chesapeake Bay?

I came to love fried clams in Maine almost 40 years ago, and can only find them at Legal Seafood in Washington DC, which is 1.5 hours from me. Even then as good as they are, they are not the same as Capt Simeons in Kittery ME or El's in York Beach, ME.

Thanks!

Conrad
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Fried Clams 2006/09/23 16:22:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

At the suggestion of fhoran and other Roadfooders we had lunch at the Bubbling Brook in Westwood today. Great recommendation.

Ashphalt, didn't see this post when you first wrote it. Glad you liked Bubbling Brook. Unfortunately it closes from Oct to April but is booming in the summer. My only complaint is that they have a separate window for hard ice cream and softserve, which means lots of waiting in line if you have two kids who want different kinds.

Also, some years back in this thread, someone asked if eating clam strips (no bellies) was a "sin". Well, as an amateur theologian of some repute, I feel qualified to answer that question. Many of you have read my scholarly articles including one on proper wine etiquette at religious celebrations titled "Should One Serve a Drunken Turkey at Christmas" or my wine review "Manishevitz - Wine or Fuel Stabilizer?" With those credentials, I feel able to answer the question. The answer is "Yes".

Also, Lleechef, it is very disturbing to hear that Woodman's has declined. Not been there in years but used to love it. I like Kelly's Clams - not as good as Clam Box but very good. Fred
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Fried Clams 2006/09/23 16:46:38 (permalink)
I have to say that the Howard Johnson's french fried clam dinner was one of my all time favorites. It was delicious and always one of two dinners that I used to purchase from them years back. The other is the HoJo Burger and fries with a Black Raspberry Ice Cream soda. I also loved the Howard Johnson's mustard!
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Fried Clams 2006/10/08 18:46:58 (permalink)
Was visiting Salem MA with the family today looking at all the witch related tourist attractions, then drove up to Woodman's where I hadn't been for a number of years. Lleechef was right, not what I remember it to be. Okay fried clams, cold french fries with no salt and very greasy onion rings (needed a mop). Very busy however for middle of a Sunday afternoon. Fred
Arcayne
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Fried Clams 2007/01/18 03:53:49 (permalink)
Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME is one of the best places for fried clams that I've found. It also shares space with a Ben and Jerry's scoop shop, which just makes it perfection.

I also love to get fried clams at a little grab stand called the Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT. Grab a clam roll and a chocolate shake, go sit on the picnic tables by the water, and it's a happy meal.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Fried Clams 2007/01/18 07:27:30 (permalink)
I live in an area famous for the bi-valve and I have to say the Sea Swirl in Mystic was very good. I would even put them up against any clam shack here in Ipswich or Essex. It is take out only, eat in the rough so to speak, but on a nice day very enjoyable. I also love that breakfast spot close by Kitchen Little. Arcayne welcome to Roadfood. Chow Jim
dale8783
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Fried Clams 2007/02/20 19:15:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lizardqueen1

The Clam Box in Ipswich just opened this past weekend - they have the best fried clams anywhere in my opinion.

I am originally from The North Shore and have found the best fried clams (my opinion-I prefer whole belly clams) are from The South Shore. If you haven't tried Bubbling Brook in Westwood (corner of High Street and Route 109) then you haven't had the best fried clams. Check out the menu at www.bubblingbrook.net. The only problem with this place is it's only open mid March until Columbus Day. They serve hot dogs, hamburgers, cheeseburgers and other cooked food. A lot of people think this place is only an ice cream stand.
dale8783
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2007/02/20 19:28:06 (permalink)
quote:

I'll start by saying that I'm not a North Shore snob when it comes to clams, in fact I was raised to believe that while fried clams may have been invented on the North Shore, they were perfected on the Cape. May be because with a grandfather with a serious heart condition the lard the North Shore places were then famous for using was forbidden and I never got the taste for it (until later in life).

The clam roll was as large as it should be. Grilled roll flattened out with enough clams that more than half had to be eaten before you could attempt to pick it up. Clams themselves were on the small side (could be the current market) but tender and sweet. Batter was light and crispy. The Wife had the scallop roll which was similarly mounded with medium sized sweet scallops fried to a cripy medium brown. We split an order of onion rings which were very good. Large thin rings with the same light batter cooked blonde with browning spots. Not super crispy, but the onion inside was cooked tender, sweet and juicy. Clams were definitely a step up from one experience at the Red Wing, although Red Wing does do oysters (and serve beer).

The place itself is worth a visit for nostalgia buffs. Made me think of what HoJo's probably was like in the 20s or 30s. Classic New England ice cream stand with a take out window and small service dining area. Teenaged girls handled the service well (this is a seasonal operation) and the place was spotless. Sandwiches and burgers looked real and old-fashioned and they had a meatloaf special. Ice cream was flying out of the place and the fudge, butterscotch (or maybe it was caramel) and marshmallow toppings looked real.

The Red Wing served the absolute worst fried clams I have ever eaten in my life. I tried them twice there. The restaurant sit-down service was extremely slow...to the point of the food being stone cold. Do you know anyone who enjoys eating cold clams? Forget asking them to heat them up. Burnt! 2nd attempt to get clams there I tried ordering them TO GO. Big mistake! You have to go to The Bar, a little aisle to stand in while you wait for your order. It's either that or sit at the bar with the people who are there to drink. Glorified bar...that's all it is. When I want clams I certainly don't care about alcohol. Bubbling Brook in Westwood MA (corner of high st and rt 109-check out www.bubblingbrook.net) is consistently the winner in my book for fried clams. It's always been good. Frequently go back there later in the day for ice cream.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
RE: Fried Clams 2007/02/20 20:48:15 (permalink)
gee, dale8783, so far each of your five posts has been about some place called Bubbling Brook. One might get the idea that you are one of the owners, employees or flacks for Bubbling Brook.
katieoaks
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Fried Clams 2007/02/27 20:38:06 (permalink)
Al, McIntyres in Rowley closed numerous year ago; the site is becoming a bank..
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Add McIntyres in Rowley to that North Shore List of good clam stands.
dale8783
Junior Burger
RE: Fried Clams 2007/03/06 20:05:50 (permalink)
I heard a rumor yesterday about Bubbling Brook in Westwood MA. The rumor is...Bubbling Brook has been sold, will not be opening this season (would have opened middle of this month) and (this is the absolute worst part) will become a Dunkin Donuts. Excuse me but how many Dunkin Donuts do you need every quarter mile????? What a sell-out and waste! Soooo sad! I guess there will be no more fried clams for me. This is the end of a family tradition for many people. How much coffee can people drink? It seems people can't get enough of Dunkin Donuts. A lot of people I know don't understand it either. They have been looking forward to another season of Bubbling Brook. A lot of people are going to be disappointed. There is no other decent seafood place in the area. This is what happens when people think since they work hard they deserve to buy coffee at places like Dunkin Donuts. You get too many of those places. When will it end? You have them on every corner. You have them in foodstores. They even put cupholders in the shopping carts. Hasn't this gone too far. Remember when they were just a donut place you went to for a treat (you know, something you had on a holiday or on a Sunday). Now people go there every day. I know people who stop there 2, 3 even 4 times a day. That's a minimum of $5 a day and that's not even for food. Pretty soon every place is going to get torn down and replaced by a Dunkin Donuts. Reverse progress.

i]Originally posted by dale8783

quote:

The Red Wing served the absolute worst fried clams I have ever eaten in my life. I tried them twice there. The restaurant sit-down service was extremely slow...to the point of the food being stone cold. Do you know anyone who enjoys eating cold clams? Forget asking them to heat them up. Burnt! 2nd attempt to get clams there I tried ordering them TO GO. Big mistake! You have to go to The Bar, a little aisle to stand in while you wait for your order. It's either that or sit at the bar with the people who are there to drink. Glorified bar...that's all it is. When I want clams I certainly don't care about alcohol. Bubbling Brook in Westwood MA (corner of high st and rt 109-check out www.bubblingbrook.net) is consistently the winner in my book for fried clams. It's always been good. Frequently go back there later in the day for ice cream.
davetoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Fried Clams 2007/03/14 17:10:00 (permalink)
Please tell me it ain't so!!!!
Is this for real???
Your making this up, right?
nyclthrm8
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Fried Clams 2007/03/28 18:52:42 (permalink)
Tis the season, or nearly so. Any suggestions for great fried clams alnog the Ct. coast route? If it's any help, i LOVE sea swirl's in mystic, just wondering about good alternatives. And i was also quite disappionted with the highly touted JP Farnham's in Essex, finding the batter too 'dry' and bland, if that makes sense. OK so slay me now... heresey!
phlmaestro2000
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Fried Clams 2007/03/28 19:26:06 (permalink)
I visited a friend in CT over the weekend and made it to both Denmo's in Southbury and Johnny Ads in Old Saybrook.
Now I had only one or two previous fried whole clams experiences before this trip, so I'm no connoisseur, but in spite of Johnny Ad's great reputation, I actually enjoyed the Denmo's clams more. Both the breading and tenderness of the clams were great.
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Fried Clams 2007/05/05 21:44:11 (permalink)
Last week (and also last summer), we took a trip to the Berkshires and had the best whole belly fried clams at a place in Lee, Ma. called The Salmon Run Fish House. A big plate of the clams, baked potato, salad and bread, all of it really fantastic, for $19.95. I took a picture but not sure how to download it here. But for anyone going to that area, I would heartily recommend this place. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.townoflee.com/Business_Pages/SalmonRun/index.htm
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1984
RE: Fried Clams 2007/05/07 13:05:42 (permalink)
That looks like a great suggestion! We get out there a few times a year, so we will be sure to give them a try! I'll try to remember to download the coupons before we go. I've had fried clams a few times this season, so far, and none were special enough to post about. I'm glad that you found a great place!!!
Todd
juleebella
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: Fried Clams 2007/05/07 14:22:10 (permalink)
I haven't read all the posts, but the best clams I've ever had were at Farnham's in Essex, McIntyre's were great too as were The Clam Box, but there's just something about Farnham's - I highly recommend it, and wish I was there instead of here in Marietta, GA right now.
Jo-mel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Fried Clams 2007/05/11 23:51:06 (permalink)
I happen to come across this forum when I googled 'fried clams' and just wanted to give my thoughts.

Presently I live in NJ but was Boston born and raised and I swear that I was weaned from milk to Fried Clams. There is nothing like a good whole Ipswich Fried Clam! I've had fried clams all up and down the NE coast and when I was in a restaurant, everyone had lobster but me, -----I had my beloved Fried Clams.

Imagine my sorrow when I married New Jersey and found not ONE here! That was along time ago and the Jersey Shore DOES have them now, but in those early days I went clamless. One time, in a restaurant that had a good seafood menu, I asked about fried clams and the waiter said that he was sure the chef could make some fried clams for me. I was delighted and waited in anticipation and the waiter proudly served my plate ----- with fried cherrystones!!! I had a hard time holding my sorrow! They were good, BUT NOT fried clams as we all know them! What a disappointment!

Just typing this makes me want to take a trip up north --- just far enough to indulge myself.

Meanwhile it is nice to read all the posts written by people who know the real thing. Real fried clams -- not the HoJo strips or frozen thingies.
Woo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Fried Clams 2007/05/13 00:21:13 (permalink)
Well tmiles, you are the one who gave me the suggestion to try that place in Palmer a couple of summers ago - it was good, but I like the Salmon Run even better. You try it and let me know what you think someday. Lynn
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1