The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fried Clams

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 13, messages 211 to 240 of 361
HenryYee

• Total Posts: 5
RE: Fried Clams Tue, 07/10/07 4:24 PM (permalink)
Went to the Clam Box Sunday. Got a large box of large bellied fried clams.
They were excellent.

selandirv

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: Fried Clams Sun, 07/22/07 12:46 PM (permalink)
    Ever since we moved from Ct. to North Carolina we make a special trip north each Sept. to Kennebunkport, Me. for the best fried clams and lobster in all NE. The Clam Shack at the bridge is just that - nothing else. They are literally right out of the water because you are standing on top of the pier and sitting on boxes and benches with your clam roll or pint and hope the gulls chase some other sloppy eater. Parking for only 3 or 4 cars is a challenge but worth it. The lobster is up the road on Rt. 9 N in Cape Porpoise at Nunan's which serves dinner only. Got to get there by 5:30 or wait. Lobsters of all sizes, pickle chips and potato chip bag are the orderof the day. Steamers do not allow you to have anything else unless someone shares them with you and blueberry pie (the real Maine kind). Non lobster eaters have some choices, too, but let's pity them.

mushroomman

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Fried Clams Wed, 08/8/07 1:32 PM (permalink)
      Does anyone know a good place for fried clams in New Jersey? Legal seafood is the only place I can think of

OilCan

• Total Posts: 19
        RE: Fried Clams Wed, 08/8/07 1:45 PM (permalink)
        The Clam Box in Quincy does a good job with their freid clams.

In fact, now that you mention it I need a fix soon.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
          RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/9/07 3:23 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by tmiles

I stopped at West Boylston Seafood, Rt 12 West Boylston Mass 508 853 3655, last night. Even though they have put up a new building it is a classic retail/wholesale shop with a counter service restaurant in part of the building. For 7.99, I got a whole belly clam roll, fries and slaw. It was a good deal on a good meal.

It has been over a year since I last posted about this place....time flies!!I stopped here again 2 nights ago. They were out of whole clams, so I got the strips. A clam roll w slaw and LOTS of fries was 6.99. Once again, it was a good deal on a good meal. Closed Mondays.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
            RE: Fried Clams Mon, 08/13/07 10:39 AM (permalink)
            How are the Ipswich clams this year. I'll be on Cape Ann next weekend, and am looking forward to the Clam Box. Was there last year and they were on the small side - still good, but not outstanding. Will probably also hit the Sea Swirl in Mystic on the way up.

Thanks, Doug

douginvirginia

RE: Fried Clams Mon, 08/27/07 7:43 AM (permalink)
              missed the sea swirl in mystic, but am glad to report the Ipswich clam season must be good. the Clam Box was just awesome. big bellies were available, but we just ordered regular and they were very plump. just the right combo of sweet and salty.

Lafinwithu1953

• Total Posts: 17
                RE: Fried Clams Fri, 09/7/07 11:52 PM (permalink)
                Speaking of fried clams, Bob's Clam Shack in Kittery ME is really good, and so is Brown's between Hampton NH and Salisbury Beach, Mass... I also love Johnson's in New Durham NH, on Rte. 11, headed toward Lake Winnepausakee... They don't get any better!

Also if your in Rochester NH or that area, Windjammers and Jimmy Jones Locker both serve the yummy bellied bad boys, and both places are excellent!

If you are in the Haverhill MA area, Larry's Clam Bar is really good too on 125...

Newicks in Portsmouth NH used to be really good also, located on the Spaulding Turkpike (Rte 16), and just over the bridge, but have gone down hill the past few years.... So much so, that I heard they are going out of business, which is a shock to those in the area, because people come from near and far to eat there when they are in the area...

Darn... Wouldn't you know it... I'm now living down here in Durham NC, and can't find one single place that serves fried clams... I really miss living in NH, and being able to indulge whenever the mood strikes me!

Linda

buffetbuster

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 11/2/07 12:56 PM (permalink)
                  One of the writers for my hometown newspaper visited the Cape Ann area in search of the best fried clams. According to the story, they thought Essex Seafood had the best. Here is the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07294/826581-46.stm

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                    RE: Fried Clams Fri, 11/2/07 2:19 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by buffetbuster

One of the writers for my hometown newspaper visited the Cape Ann area in search of the best fried clams. According to the story, they thought Essex Seafood had the best. Here is the article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07294/826581-46.stm

Well one of my secrets is now out. Yes it's probably one of the best, quality and portion. The owner Dan Lane has been known to dig a tide or two for these crustations.
                    Some of you racing fans may know of him also. He dose that opened wheeled cart type, I understand he's pretty competitive also. Chow Jim

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                      RE: Fried Clams Mon, 11/26/07 8:32 PM (permalink)
                      The Clam Shack in Kennebunk, Maine has really good clams as does Mikes in Wells, ME.

In the Ipswich / Essex area....I prefer JTF's.

tmiles

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 02/1/08 10:49 AM (permalink)
                        Local rumors aside, Ronnies in Auburn Mass has a sign that says they will open 19 March. The clammers will be happy, as they are one of the biggest customers for Ipswich Shellfish Company. They also provide a lot of jobs for nice teenage girls. I remember reading in the paper about how proud they are of Ronnies alumni. The lady who runs the ice cream end has a talent for finding hard working friendly teens.

Jimeats

RE: Fried Clams Sun, 02/3/08 7:04 AM (permalink)
                          I drove by The Clam Box in Ipswich yesterday and the sign on the door there
                          stated that they will open Feb. 14th. Much earlier than in years past, it use to always open sometime in late March. Chow Jim

Hagrid

• Total Posts: 5
                            RE: Fried Clams Tue, 02/19/08 5:21 AM (permalink)
                            The Clam Box in Ipswich is great, but try the fried clams at the Park Lunch in Newburyport. You wont be disappointed.

not the phantom gourmet

• Total Posts: 14
                              RE: Fried Clams Wed, 02/20/08 6:20 PM (permalink)
                              Woodmans of Essex,hands down best fried clams,also the best onion rings.Honorable mention to the Clam Box,Farnhams and Kelly`s in Revere.

FredSox49

• Total Posts: 9
                                RE: Fried Clams Thu, 04/10/08 9:38 PM (permalink)
                                If you're in south Florida, try the clam bellies at Tark's in Dania Beach, just south of the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Int. Airport on US 1. Sean breads each order before throwing them in the fryer; they're neither frozen nor pre-breaded. Have the curly fries and a beer and you're in heaven.

Jimeats

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 05/9/08 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                  FYI--- Apparently there is a red tide outbreak, So.Maine and The N.H. area.
                                  According to some predictions it MAY become a very large problem with many affected areas.
                                  So anyone needing a clam or other shellfish fix I suggest you do it now.
                                  Chow Jim

douginvirginia

RE: Fried Clams Sat, 05/10/08 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Jimeats

FYI--- Apparently there is a red tide outbreak, So.Maine and The N.H. area.
                                    According to some predictions it MAY become a very large problem with many affected areas.
                                    So anyone needing a clam or other shellfish fix I suggest you do it now.
                                    Chow Jim

Jim, very sorry to hear this. I think there's mention of red tide a few years back, earlier in this thread. Are there certain times of the year when it's more likely to occur?

Jimeats

RE: Fried Clams Sun, 05/11/08 9:06 AM (permalink)
                                      It's an alge that is prevelant in the ocean year round. The shifting currents bring it to the shore area where it does it's most harm infecting shellfish.
                                      Unfortunatly this usualy happens during the spring and summer months when the supply is most needed. Chow Jim

tmiles

RE: Fried Clams Mon, 05/12/08 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                        I saw the news story too The problem seems earlier this year. I've had fried clams twice in the last month and they were great. I didn't plan on them being my last for the season.

Jimeats

RE: Fried Clams Sat, 05/17/08 8:38 AM (permalink)
                                          Unfortunatley it has spread, they closed the flats along the NE section of the state. This won't affect fried clams for the time being, but will soon.
                                          Local steamers are out though. Chow Jim

Suds

RE: Fried Clams Sat, 05/17/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                            Northern Maine and parts of Cape Cod are open. Hope this doesn't spread and is over soon. I have heard the count in the clams in Ipswich isn't that high.

cwjudyjr

• Total Posts: 126
                                              RE: Fried Clams Sat, 05/17/08 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Suds

Northern Maine and parts of Cape Cod are open. Hope this doesn't spread and is over soon. I have heard the count in the clams in Ipswich isn't that high.

We are planning a trip to York Beach and Kennebunkport the last week of June and the first week of July. From these posts I assume this is the affected area, is that correct?

Conrad

Suds

RE: Fried Clams Sat, 05/17/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                With any luck this will be over by then.

Chip12414

• Total Posts: 8
                                                  RE: Fried Clams Fri, 06/13/08 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                  Amazingly, full bellied fried clams can be had Yanni's III Restaurant just north of the Village of Athens, NY, on Route 385 (about 25 miles south of Albany) on the Hudson River. http://www.yannisrestaurants.com/images/Yanni_s_III_Menu_Summer_08_Final_pg3.pdf

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                                    RE: Fried Clams Fri, 06/13/08 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                    That's one of the things I miss most about living in or, near the North East. Fried clams. Double yummo!

Jimeats

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 06/13/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                                      Looks like we here in New England will soon be missing our Fried Clams also.
                                                      The closeings have spread recently from Canada {some parts} down to areas in Long Island sound. They closed the Boston Harbor areas yesterday.
                                                      Unfotunatley it's not only steamers but scollops, mussels, oysters, sea clams and so on.
                                                      This DOSE NOT affect lobsters or fin fish. Still plenty to eat for those of you traveling to the area. Chow Jim

tmiles

• Location: Millbury, MA
                                                        RE: Fried Clams Mon, 06/16/08 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                                        Jim, I've had fried clams a few times, recently, that were not as good as usual. I didn't ask, but I wonder if they were frozen. A place that I go to does buy frozen clams when he can not get fresh, but always from the same supplier. He says that the secret is to buy clams that were fresh (as in date) when they were frozen, and not clams that were frozen just because they were about to go bad. Hopefully a good supply of nice clams were caught and frozen before the beds closed.

• Total Posts: 222
                                                          • Location: Norridgewock, ME
                                                          RE: Fried Clams Mon, 06/16/08 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                                          I had a pretty good plate of fried clams at the Rockport Cafe yesterday, but the place was slammed and the waitresses were busy with the first of the 'summer complaints', so I didn't ask where they came from.

cwjudyjr

• Total Posts: 126
                                                            • Location: Centreville, MD
                                                            RE: Fried Clams Mon, 06/23/08 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            What is the status of clams in the Portsouth NH to Portland ME area? Are they available or is the problem noted a few months ago still an issue?

Thanks!

Conrad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 13, messages 211 to 240 of 361

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com