Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fried Clams

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 13, messages 1 to 30 of 361
jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
Fried Clams Thu, 03/11/04 9:48 AM (permalink)
I havent had any of these in a long time so I decided to try some the other nite and all I can say is WOW!what have I been missing,They were great!Whats your favorite clam recipie?Do you use flour and cormeal or a commerical bread mixture?Ive got clams right out my backdoor!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Fried Clams Thu, 03/11/04 12:29 PM (permalink)
    The first time I was served real whole fried clams in a real Clam Shack, I thought "What the &%@#&&??" For me a fried clam will always be the memory of Howard Johnson's Fried Tendersweet Clam Roll. Boy those were great.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
      RE: Fried Clams Thu, 03/11/04 1:25 PM (permalink)
      Do you mean clam strips or real fried clams - with bellies?, said with a distainful sniff that only a New England yankee can master.

I am not the NE yankee, I have just heard it said more than once.

Cakes

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
        RE: Fried Clams Thu, 03/11/04 2:52 PM (permalink)
        If they ain't Ipswich they ain't fried clams.

lizardqueen1

• Total Posts: 34
          RE: Fried Clams Thu, 03/11/04 3:11 PM (permalink)
          The Clam Box in Ipswich just opened this past weekend - they have the best fried clams anywhere in my opinion.

pfarmer241

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 6:24 AM (permalink)
            Have been to the Clam Box in Ipswich and they are the best. As I am from NE, there is no other place to get fried clams. I live in FL (34 yrs) and the restaurants import the clams from NE, just no the same.

Peggy Farmer
            Englewood, FL

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 7:21 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

If they ain't Ipswich they ain't fried clams.

Truer words were never spoken!!!!Clams stips aren't clams. Since i am no longer living on the coast if i get a craving for fried clams--I order scallops!!!

Cakes

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 7:49 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by pfarmer241

Have been to the Clam Box in Ipswich and they are the best. As I am from NE, there is no other place to get fried clams. I live in FL (34 yrs) and the restaurants import the clams from NE, just no the same.

Peggy Farmer
                Englewood, FL

Peggy,

Have you tried the ones at Barnacle Bill's in Sarasota?

Cakes

pfarmer241

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 11:16 AM (permalink)
                  Cakes - no I haven't - address please!!! Am always looking for a good restaurant in the Englewood/Sarasota area.

Peggy

Salty

• Total Posts: 17
                    RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 11:20 AM (permalink)
                    Kelly's on Revere Beach, just north of Boston - best fried clams I've ever had!!! These are the real, full belly ones that just melt in your mouth. I used to go in the summers when I was growing up. I went back a few years ago. The clams were as good as I remembered, but the prices had shot up.

pfarmer241

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 11:36 AM (permalink)
                      Ok Ok Ok - stop - my mouth is watering - can't stand it!! Will be in NH on the 27th of March - will have to make a trip to MA - will be flying into Portland, ME - don't mind driving to get the best fried clams.

Peggy

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                        RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 12:47 PM (permalink)
                        We go to Cape Cod every year , we go to Cooke's in Orleans every year for thier fried clams , then to Emack and Bolio's for ice cream.

Cakes

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 1:17 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

Cakes - no I haven't - address please!!! Am always looking for a good restaurant in the Englewood/Sarasota area.

Peggy

http://www.barnaclebillsseafood.com/

They have 3 locations, the original at Beneva and Webber, there is one downtown and one up by the airport on 41 where the Golden Budda used to be.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6204
                            RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 1:54 PM (permalink)
                            Kelly's on Revere Beach can't hold a candle to The Clam Box in Ipswich or Woodman's in Essex. They serve clams that were dug the night before and are fresh. Kelly's serves 2-day old clams and while they're also good, lack that fresh sea taste.

pfarmer241

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 2:07 PM (permalink)
                              Thanks for the website for Barnacle Bill's, Cakes - use to go to the Golden Budda - Will definitely try Barnacle Bill's. There use to be a Barnacle Bill's in Englewood - have been there and it is not that great. Thanks again.

Peggy

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                One of my family's rituals as soon as the water got warm enough in Delaware was to head out to Indian River Bay and rake up a bunch of clams. My father was the clam guy -- he'd cook them fried, deviled, stewed, chowdered, and whatever else they couldn't run away from. It's like the people who ice down their sweet corn between the garden and the boiling pot of water in kitchen, to keep the corn at it's peak during the trip -- he'd take a clam knife in his pocket while out raking clams and have a few on the hoof (on the halfshell, whatever) out in the water. Fried clams were the mid-Atlantic hardshells; pristine fresh opened; flour, egg, breadcrumbs, fried; the whole clam. Clams strips were a foreign concept to my family.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                  Add McIntyres in Rowley to that North Shore List of good clam stands.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                    RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Thanks for the website for Barnacle Bill's, Cakes - use to go to the Golden Budda - Will definitely try Barnacle Bill's. There use to be a Barnacle Bill's in Englewood - have been there and it is not that great. Thanks again.

Peggy

When in Daytona, steer clear of that one too, in my opinion of course.

Cakes

RE: Fried Clams Fri, 03/12/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

Peggy

When in Daytona, steer clear of that one too, in my opinion of course.

I wasn't talking about a Barnacle Bill's in Daytona.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                        RE: Fried Clams Sat, 03/13/04 12:13 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by lleechef

Kelly's on Revere Beach can't hold a candle to The Clam Box in Ipswich or Woodman's in Essex.

Woodman's has been coasting on its reputation for quite literally YEARS, and their clams are no longer worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. Kelly's at this point is actually better than Woodman's, although of course neither of them can hold a candle to the Clam Box.

pepperoni pete

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: Fried Clams Mon, 06/28/04 1:25 PM (permalink)

I returned to my birthplace this weekend. I don't get up to Boston too often but when I do I always have to treat myself to fried clams washed with some Ballantine Ale. Well, I found the ale at a Stop and Shop but when I drove toward Revere Beach and looked for Angie's Clam Shack, it was gone. Went by the Beach and was disappointedly shocked to see all the food stands gone, and I didn't remember that Kelly's served the fried clam. I thought that Kelly's only had roast beef sandwiches but your forum confirmed they served the fried clam. I talked to an old Revere resident later who said he worked at Kelly's in his younger days and said he didn't remember them serving them. I went up to Glouster later in the day on Friday not remembering that nearby Ipswich and Essex had clam treats. I guess I should have done some reseach before I departed on the trip. I am seriously considering going down to the wharf in DC and buying some clams to fry up. I know they won't compare.

allbookedup@tbscc.com

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: Fried Clams Fri, 07/16/04 5:47 AM (permalink)
                                            Re: lizardlover1

I've been to the Clam Box many times and, while I agree that their fried clams are very good, I would like to suggest that you try them at "Ellen's" restaurant on the wharf at Rockport, MA. They are not particularly generous with the clams and perhaps a bit on the pricy side, but I've never tasted better. Being as close to Ipswich as they are I assume that they probably serve Ipswich clams and presume that is part of the reason that they are so good (but there is something about their breading and/or frying technique that makes them a cut above - in my humble opinion). I'm one of those odd individuals who doesn't much care whether his clams are steamed or fried as long as they are good, and Ipswich clams are certainly among the best (however they are cooked).

Changing the subject (but still in terms of clams), does anybody know of any restaurants along the I-90 corridor between Buffalo and Boston which serve the whole New England (soft-shell, long-neck) clams in either form (steamed or fried)? We travel eastward from Erie, PA on a regular basis and used to stop at the Weathervane restaurant in East Greenbush, NY (near Albany) for our first taste of genuine New England seafood. While the quality was never as good as what one can find near the coast it was, at least, an acceptable 'teaser' for those who were (are) desperate for fresh seafood. We will be making the trek again in mid-September and would like to hear about any places along the way. We like our lobsters, too, but those are available almost everywhere (including near home), so, in this case, it's all about the clams!

Stonewall

• Total Posts: 7
                                              RE: Fried Clams Sun, 07/25/04 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                              The best clams that I've ever eaten were at The Clam Shack, Wells, ME. As one poster said , order the clams with the Bellies, and he's right on the money. The clams we get around my home state of VA and other surrounding states, are like rubber. Take it from me, if you have an opportunity of going to New England, order clams w/bellies, and you won't be dissapointed.

daveritzdog

• Total Posts: 44
                                                RE: Fried Clams Tue, 07/27/04 10:31 PM (permalink)
                                                There are many good fried clams to be had on the Connecticut shoreline as well! Just as good as in Cape Cod, Boston, or Maine! I'm sure that they are listed on previous threads, so check them out! No need to go all the way up north and east to get a decent order of fried belly clams!

tiki

RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/5/04 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just found this today and thought i'd share

Clam Box Fried Clams
                                                  Ingredients:
                                                  ½ cup evaporated milk
                                                  ¾ cup milk
                                                  1 egg
                                                  ½ teaspoon vanilla
                                                  Dash salt and pepper Dash salt and pepper
                                                  4 dozen freshly shucked clams
                                                  ½ cup cake flour
                                                  1½ cups yellow cornmeal
                                                  Oil for frying
                                                  Cooking Instructions:
                                                  Combine evaporated and whole milk, egg, vanilla, salt and pepper. Soak clams in liquid, then dredge in combination of cake flour and cornmeal, fluffing them in the flour mix for light but thorough coverage. Shake off excess flour.

Fry at 365-375 degrees until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Do not crowd clams in oil. Drain on paper towels, salt to taste, and serve immediately with french fries, onion rings and coles
                                                  Additional Comments:
                                                  from the Clam Box of Ipswich, Mass.

i beleive you will find a source for the clams in the forum--Clams-with bellies---that Lleechef posted.

Copper Top

• Total Posts: 9
                                                    RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/26/04 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    tiki, Gourmet mag. mentioned that they use lard (Clam Box claimed was the secret) for deep frying.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                                      RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/26/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      Good luck trying to make that recipe for at least the next month: the Massachusetts clam flats have been wiped out by weather and algae, and clams are at a premium. So much of one, in fact, that the Clam Box this week isn't even serving whole clams at all!

tiki

• Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                        RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/26/04 2:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Copper Top

tiki, Gourmet mag. mentioned that they use lard (Clam Box claimed was the secret) for deep frying.

Sounds good to me!!!

tiki

• Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                          RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/26/04 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Good luck trying to make that recipe for at least the next month: the Massachusetts clam flats have been wiped out by weather and algae, and clams are at a premium. So much of one, in fact, that the Clam Box this week isn't even serving whole clams at all!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                            • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                            RE: Fried Clams Thu, 08/26/04 3:06 PM (permalink)
                                                            Cakes:

Since I couldn't seem to reply to your post above I will say here that I realize you weren't talking about the Barnacle Bill's in Daytona. Peggy said the one in Engelwood wasn't that great, I was simply saying nor was the one in Daytona. I don't believe I was the one confused.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 13, messages 1 to 30 of 361

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com