Fried Pie Stands

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ImTootsie2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2003/05/10 09:45:31 (permalink)

Fried Pie Stands

Are any of these still around? Growing up, there were lots in the midwest area & I think the south. Little mom & pop places & they were really good!

47 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/07/31 19:24:11 (permalink)
    Mama's Fried pies---Wagoner Oklahoma----good too!! I beliiver they've got one or two other locations and planning more--and there really is a Mama and it really is her recipe that she made for the family for years
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/07/31 19:48:51 (permalink)
    Several times last year while watching an ARCA stock car race on tv I saw a car sponsored by Miss Audrey's Fried Pies.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/07/31 20:09:01 (permalink)
    Boy, I didn't know anyone still made fried pies. I haven't had one since leaving Texas in the mid-1950s.
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/07/31 22:00:21 (permalink)
    Are these similar to the fried pies put out by Hostess and Dolly Madison that are in every convenience store in the midwest? I've never had the real thing but I'm sure they are much better.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/08/05 08:12:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by topferment

Are these similar to the fried pies put out by Hostess and Dolly Madison that are in every convenience store in the midwest? I've never had the real thing but I'm sure they are much better.

Similar---but deffinatly not the same!---Good fried pies are a real treat with acrust the would be good if there was NO filling and not drenched in that god aweful aluminum foil tasting "Glaze" that Hostess and most donut shops use---when will they just leave my PLAIN donut alone!!!!???
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13500
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/08/05 08:54:55 (permalink)
    The Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge Tennessee makes the best fried aaple pies I have ever had. They serve them hot, the crust is a beautiful brown and it is filled with the wonderful tasty cinnaman apples. I always get a scoop of vanilla on top and let it melt because the pie is so hot. Their coffee is great also.

This is the best stop in the Smokies as it also has a separate: winery, bakery, gift shop, candy shop and two restaurants. Great view of the Pigeon River, Mt. LeConte and the apple Orchards.

It is located almost across from the Five Oaks Mall which is a very beautiful and huge mall.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/08/05 11:39:18 (permalink)
    When in the south, I try to eat as much fried pie as possible. The best I had was at Angelo's BBQ in Ft. Worth. It was made by a Ft. Worth bakery called (I believe) Thelma Lu. Even though it was packaged, the crust was still warm and soft.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/08/06 13:24:05 (permalink)
    New Orleans has a local brand of fried pies (and other tasty treats as well) known as Hubigs. They come in a sealed paper wrapper (crispy, butcher like white paper, not plastic) and are usually restocked on shelves alot of not daily, so they are generally fresh. I happen to like the lemon, but there are myriad flavors to tickle your palate. They are like a billion calories each, but they are really good. They don't have a website (hell, they might not even have a computer) but if you hit google and search on Hubig you can read lots of comments from crazed, rabid seekers of the pinnacle of commercially made fried pies. They also make a great custard pie that is sold whole or by the slice.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2003/08/06 23:28:36 (permalink)
    Feltner's Whattaburger here in Russellville carries them, but I've never been motivated to try one (flashbacks to McDonald's icky fruit pies). But if they're a Southern institution, I must.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/02/18 07:37:44 (permalink)
    Just what is a Fried Pie? Is it like a fried dough that you would get at a Fair that is filled with apple or something else? I love my fried foods but you southerners fry everything, not a bad thing though. If you could deep fry a pizza then life would be compleate. Chow Jim
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/02/18 09:26:22 (permalink)

Jim,
    Think of a filled pastry that looks like an unglazed Hostess "Foldover Pie". Half-Moon shaped by folding a round piecrust. As Tiki said some time ago that's what they look like, but thats where the comparison ends.
    In some places they might be called a Turnover, but Pie-Crust not "Crousent"(sp) crust. Usually a fruit filling, but I have enjoyed coconut-cream and chocolate also.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6829
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/02/18 15:56:48 (permalink)
    My mother makes the best fried pies on the planet! She sends me out (as a kid) to go pick blackberries which are full of THORNS AND BEES. AND IT'S SCORCHING HOT! She incorporates them into the best delicay. Flaky pastry folded over with blackberries and sugar, folded over and fried. Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/03/16 14:18:59 (permalink)
    A great little bakery in Muskegon, Mich., called "Ryke's" at 1788 Terrace, off Laketon Avenue (231) 726-2253, offers "lunchbox pies" every day.

These are pie pastries filled with apples, blueberries or cherries, folded over, baked perfectly and sprinkled with crunchy crystals of sugar.

Melts in your mouth perfection.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/03/16 15:06:43 (permalink)
    I posted this before but Wal-Mart grocery sells them.Apple or cherry.Almost exactly like what Mac's used to sell.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/05/06 00:49:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Just what is a Fried Pie? Is it like a fried dough that you would get at a Fair that is filled with apple or something else? I love my fried foods but you southerners fry everything, not a bad thing though. If you could deep fry a pizza then life would be compleate. Chow Jim

Your life has just become complete. Somewhere out there this fair season, someone is (someones?) selling fried pizza. I believe on the ever present stick but that could just be a "what are the odds" moment I'm having? More than likely it will show up at bigger shows and state fairs. That's where all the fun and innovative food goes or debut's in the concession biz. If it's a hit it may be the new hot lick! I'll see if I can find a route.
    theburgerguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/05/18 15:00:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

New Orleans has a local brand of fried pies (and other tasty treats as well) known as Hubigs. They come in a sealed paper wrapper (crispy, butcher like white paper, not plastic) and are usually restocked on shelves alot of not daily, so they are generally fresh. I happen to like the lemon, but there are myriad flavors to tickle your palate. They are like a billion calories each, but they are really good. They don't have a website (hell, they might not even have a computer) but if you hit google and search on Hubig you can read lots of comments from crazed, rabid seekers of the pinnacle of commercially made fried pies. They also make a great custard pie that is sold whole or by the slice.

Hubig's finally got a website. It says they'll have online pie ordering soon. No telling how long they've been saying that!

http://www.hubigs.com

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2006/05/29 14:39:14 (permalink)
    There is a place on th south side of US-58 between Lovers Leap and the parkway that used to make great fried apple pies. The last time I had one was after they had discovered that one rolled out canned biscuit made the perfect crust. Needless to say, I haven't been back.
    Countrygirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/11/30 01:02:22 (permalink)
    My family,which is in the hills of N.C. have been frying apple pies for over 20 years. I started about 3 years ago here, and I just can't keep up with the demand! Does anyone out there know a faster way? I have tried differant crimpers but they only get stuck in the dough! What a mess! I heard about a lady who had a crimper that worked by an aircompressor. She had a pedal she pushed with her foot to lower the crimper. I can't find anything anywhere about this. Sure would help a wore out country girl and free up some time for other activities!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/11/30 08:48:41 (permalink)
    Originally posted by tiki

Mama's Fried pies---Wagoner Oklahoma----good too!! I beliiver they've got one or two other locations and planning more--and there really is a Mama and it really is her recipe that she made for the family for years

Tiki... where is Mama's Fried Pies located in Wagoner?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/11/30 15:44:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BR

Originally posted by tiki

Tiki... where is Mama's Fried Pies located in Wagoner?

Sorry BR--but i think they have closed down--it was located right on 69 on the north side of town---east side of the road---but last time i went through i didnt notice it.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/12/02 09:15:08 (permalink)

Sorry BR--but i think they have closed down--it was located right on 69 on the north side of town---east side of the road---but last time i went through i didnt notice it.

That's too bad.... I love fried Pie's. There was one called "Original Fried Pie's" that opened in Broken Arrow a couple years ago but didn't make it past the first year.
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/12/02 09:44:44 (permalink)
    Countrygirl, Where do you sell your fried pies. I am always looking for them when in Western N.C.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Fried Pie Stands 2008/12/03 22:55:00 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I have three leads / pieces of information for y'all.
    1) The Varsity in Atlanta and Athens, Georgia sells a mighty lot of their fried pies. I think they make apple and peach and that's it.
    2) There used to be a commercial fried pie bakery in Centreville, Tennessee, about 50 miles west of Nashville on Highway 100... way out past The Loveless. I don't remember the name, but it's posted on another thread similar to this one. I think they're still in business.
    3) B & G Fried Pies from Winston-Salem, N. C. may also still be in business. Gad, their chocolate and coconut and raisin were some mighty fine pieing, lemme tell y'all.
    Country Girl, I hope you get an answer soon... your hands sound tired.
    Somewhat Crustily, Ort. Carlton in Multi-Flavored Athens, Georgia.
    dcwatts
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2008/12/23 22:22:42 (permalink)

This past summer I visited Lane Packing Company in Fort Valley Georgia and had the absolute best fried peach pie I've ever tasted. The crust was yellow and buttery tasting, as if shortened with butter-flavored Crisco or something; and the filling was great. Because of the high volume of visitors there in season, the kitchen was operating continuously to turn these babies out, hence the pies were always fresh from the fryer. The peach ice cream was, frankly, disappointing; but these warm, flakey, buttery, peachy pockets of bliss were worth the trip!
    mimicooks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2009/01/13 14:47:41 (permalink)
    I've eaten the fried pies from Mama's in Wagoner, Oklahoma, and while they aren't bad, they aren't like my mother used to make. The Wagoner pie filling tastes like canned pie filling to me, although it may not be. My mother used to buy dried apples, peaches, apricots, etc. and cook them until tender to use for her pie filling. She also used an electric skillet to fry the pies because she could keep the heat even. You have to cook them just the right amount of time on each side so as not to burn them but to make sure that the crust is done all the way through. Then, she would sprinkle the crusty hot pies with a little bit of cinnamon/sugar. Yum!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2009/01/13 16:51:45 (permalink)
    Lordy, I love fried apple pies - nothing like ' em! Just out of the skillet, nice and hot and greasy, with a great homemade crust. This thread sure is bringing back some wonderful childhood memories. Back in the ' 60s, when we'd drive down to North Carolina to visit relatives, my aunt in Winston-Salem made the best fried pies I've ever tasted. Homemade crust ( probably lard ), and delicious apple filling; boy, do I miss those. I just ordered some fried apple pies from a little outfit near Nashville called Mrs. Armstrong's Fried Pies ( they can be ordered thru their website ), and I anticipate delivery by the end of the week. I'll be sure to let y'all know whether they're worth ordering or not.  
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2009/01/13 16:58:08 (permalink)
    Ort. - you'll be glad to know that the last time I was in North Carolina ( back in Sept. ), the B & G fried pies could still be found in the local Food Lion. I've had a few, and they're pretty good for store-bought pies.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2009/01/19 01:30:01 (permalink)
    Well, I got my fried apple pies from Mrs. Armstrong a couple of days ago, and I'm happy to say that they're pretty good. Not quite like my Aunt Ruby's down in NC, of course, but definitely worth the money. I found that by putting one in a pre-heated oven ( about 375 degrees ) for 4 or 5 minutes, they come out nice and hot with a slightly crispy crust. An enjoyable taste of the mid-south, IMO.
    deb andersen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Fried Pie Stands 2009/05/31 05:45:26 (permalink)
    Fried Apple Pies are available in Waynesville North Carolina!  I make them and sell them at some local convenience stores, The RiverRock Grill, and I also sell them frozen by the dozen so you can fry as many as you like whenever you want one! They are called "Mama Moody's Fried Pies.  MamaMoody was my grandmother who fed me my very first fried pie and I have been told that mine are even better than hers!  Imagine That!  If you are interested in buying a dozen frozen, you can email me at: williemoandersen@yahoo.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1