Fried Twinkies

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
2003/04/26 19:07:17 (permalink)

Fried Twinkies

We were racing today at Bristol NHRA. I observed something I had never seen before and it was deep fried Twinkies. Due to my age and diet, I did not try them, but I observed several people buying them and enjoying them. Sorta looked good to me. I was curious but did not partake. Anybody know what they are like?

Incidentally, Stephen, I could not spell "chekc" here. Did I miss something?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

37 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/26 19:39:35 (permalink)
    I had them at the fair last year...don't get me wrong, I love sweets and I love deep fried stuff...but...BLEH it was just too...sugary, greasy, uck !
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/26 19:46:53 (permalink)
    Jennifer: thanks for the thought. I did not buy one although they did smell good. I am on this old age diet and all I can have is liquor and lettuce. Lettuce ain't so good, but enough liquor and you do not care.

I sorta thought that the twinkies would be as you described and I had a hard time believeing that they could be good, but I found them fascinating.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/26 19:51:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Jennifer: thanks for the thought. I did not buy one although they did smell good. I am on this old age diet and all I can have is liquor and lettuce. Lettuce ain't so good, but enough liquor and you do not care.

I sorta thought that the twinkies would be as you described and I had a hard time believeing that they could be good, but I found them fascinating.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, we also tried the deep fried Snickers Bar last year..that too was rather icky as well...the only hot desserts I like are fruit pies and cobblers...(hot cocoa doesn't count).. But I had to try em..cause they were..well.. FRIED.. although I must admit that I like funnel cakes..but for some reason it works..
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/26 19:57:06 (permalink)
    Jennifer:, they had the fried funnel cakes at the races also and they were sprinkled with powdered sugar. I was a good boy and did not sample most of the things that were offered. They have great food courts at the NHRA races. The race today at Bristol had around 100,000 people and they see the opportunity to merchandise. The had North Carolina BBQ which I did not try, but it appeared to have vinegar. The it was everything you could imagine. I did not see any fried snickers though!! The only thing I had was a BBQ dry pretzel with salt and a large Diet Coke. It was not that good, but filling.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, tN
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/26 21:52:27 (permalink)
    I have heard deep fried Oreos were good. Anyone brave enough to try those?
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/27 01:38:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

I have heard deep fried Oreos were good. Anyone brave enough to try those?

In spite of my bad experience with the twinkies and Snickers, I'll try the oreos as soon as they make it over here.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/27 01:41:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Jennifer:, they had the fried funnel cakes at the races also and they were sprinkled with powdered sugar. I was a good boy and did not sample most of the things that were offered. They have great food courts at the NHRA races. The race today at Bristol had around 100,000 people and they see the opportunity to merchandise. The had North Carolina BBQ which I did not try, but it appeared to have vinegar. The it was everything you could imagine. I did not see any fried snickers though!! The only thing I had was a BBQ dry pretzel with salt and a large Diet Coke. It was not that good, but filling.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, tN

My condolences on the old age diet! But remember, my cousin the health nut died of liver cancer at age 36, my father who worked hard and lived right died of bone cancer at age 57, my mother who believed in everything in moderation died of lung cancer at age 57... Sample the yummy things in life, you won't be around forever, and who would wanna?
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/27 03:44:34 (permalink)
    You have to be careful with the deep fried Snickers bars. The nougat is like napalm...
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/27 09:21:54 (permalink)
    Is there anything you cannot put in a deep frier?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/27 09:31:51 (permalink)
    It is not healthy to put your hand in the fryer

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/28 07:56:35 (permalink)
    There was a booth at our State Fair this year selling deep fried twinkies. I purchased one and took one bite and was not impressed. Not to my taste. A little too greasy and the creme in the middle kind of takes on a new life !

I would like to try the deep fried snickers bar, but only because I love snickers so much. I might be disappointed by the battered and deep fried ones !

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/28 12:29:15 (permalink)
    I work at the local Community College which serves fried twinkies in the cafeteria. The cook told me he can never keep up with them. Yuk...those young and unspoiled stomachs.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/28 15:52:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

There was a booth at our State Fair this year selling deep fried twinkies. I purchased one and took one bite and was not impressed. Not to my taste. A little too greasy and the creme in the middle kind of takes on a new life !

I would like to try the deep fried snickers bar, but only because I love snickers so much. I might be disappointed by the battered and deep fried ones !

scbuzz,
    the kindest thing you can do to a Snickers is freeze it...YUM!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/28 16:03:03 (permalink)
    Jennifer, I AGREE !!

I love snickers straight from the fridge or freezer !

Actually the more I think about a fried snickers, the more I realize that I don't want to ruin a perfectly good snickers bar !!! " />
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/04/28 17:25:18 (permalink)
    Keep in mind folks, these tastey, and potentially deadly snacks were created in Scotland, in the wee hours, by people with way too much to drink, and too many available deep friers at hand. I expect they do taste good....in the wee hours, when you're way too .....

For god's sake they batter and deep fry pizza there!
    elvislives
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/02 16:44:31 (permalink)
    Hey all - just found this site yesterday - this is my first post!

I've had deep fried Oreos at the Columbia County Fair in Upstate NY - and they're GREAT. Frying them melts the cream filling all the way and even melts the chocolate cookie a bit so you get this delicious gooey melty chocolate burst when you bite into them.

In New York City we have a new chain (2 shops) called A Salt and Battery. They're an English fish and chips joint and they specialize in deep frying 3 candy bars - Mars Bars, Cadbury Eggs, and an English candy bar called Toffee Crisp. They're all very good - but the deep fried toffee crisp (much like a Nestles Crunch) is my fav. They are so good right out of the fryer - I know this sounds weird - but very similar to chocolate chip cookies hot out of the oven.

one last note to Sundancer7/Paul... funny you should make the hand-fry comment, I have a friend who worked at a fast food joint who swears that he and they other kids working there would actually dip their hands in batter and then stick them in the deep fryer. He said it was cool - you're hand would barely get warm but the outside would fry perfectly and then they would then eat the fried dough off their hands - crazy kids!
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/02 17:58:43 (permalink)
    A favorite college treat we would make was Snickers or those Lindt balls wrapped in Pillbury Crescent Roll dough (the kind in a can) and baked.

And since we're on the subject, thought you might like to see a crazy recipe for Twinkie Pie: http://www.recipesource.com/baked-goods/desserts/pies/06/rec0637.html

I love that word. Twinkie! Twinkie!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/02 22:38:20 (permalink)
    On a local station here in B'more they do a segement every morning called "coffee with" were they go to a local breakfast spot & talk to the locals etc. This morning the guy doing the piece talked the ladies running the place into deep frying a twinkie & then he spied a package of the new Ho Hos with caramel & deep fried that. They said the twinkies were OK but the Ho Hos were really pretty good if a bit messy.
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/03 21:41:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

On a local station here in B'more they do a segement every morning called "coffee with" were they go to a local breakfast spot & talk to the locals etc. This morning the guy doing the piece talked the ladies running the place into deep frying a twinkie & then he spied a package of the new Ho Hos with caramel & deep fried that. They said the twinkies were OK but the Ho Hos were really pretty good if a bit messy.

HoHo's with caramel??????? (going into a drooling Homer fit)
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/03 22:13:09 (permalink)
    Yeah they are called ho ho caramelo's or something like that saw them again today in the supermarket. Haven't had any yet. My sugar has been too out of control to bring a whole box into the house & haven't seen them sold individually yet.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/08 07:46:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by elvislives

Hey all - just found this site yesterday - this is my first post!

I've had deep fried Oreos at the Columbia County Fair in Upstate NY - and they're GREAT. Frying them melts the cream filling all the way and even melts the chocolate cookie a bit so you get this delicious gooey melty chocolate burst when you bite into them.

In New York City we have a new chain (2 shops) called A Salt and Battery. They're an English fish and chips joint and they specialize in deep frying 3 candy bars - Mars Bars, Cadbury Eggs, and an English candy bar called Toffee Crisp. They're all very good - but the deep fried toffee crisp (much like a Nestles Crunch) is my fav. They are so good right out of the fryer - I know this sounds weird - but very similar to chocolate chip cookies hot out of the oven.

one last note to Sundancer7/Paul... funny you should make the hand-fry comment, I have a friend who worked at a fast food joint who swears that he and they other kids working there would actually dip their hands in batter and then stick them in the deep fryer. He said it was cool - you're hand would barely get warm but the outside would fry perfectly and then they would then eat the fried dough off their hands - crazy kids!

It is beyond my imagination that someone would dip their hand into the batter and then into the fire

People do crazy things and it makes you wonder what they were smoking. Perhaps they should do a disclaimer.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/08 11:00:16 (permalink)
    Hey, at least that is better than sticking your finger into jagermeister and then lighting it and then putting your finger in you mouth to put out the fire before the alcohol burns off !!!

HMMM, wonder how I would know about that !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/08 20:08:46 (permalink)
    [:D
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

Hey, at least that is better than sticking your finger into jagermeister and then lighting it and then putting your finger in you mouth to put out the fire before the alcohol burns off !!!

HMMM, wonder how I would know about that !!!

scbuzz: I was sorta wondering about that myself, however I remeber in my college days, I remember the guys that would use a cigarette lighter after a night of bean consumptin. Close to a 4th of July celebration and you better get close to a bomb shelter.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/08 21:56:42 (permalink)
    The pyrotechnics of food. Sambuca with the 3 coffee beans, lightem drinkem. Deglaze the roasting pan with brandy, keep the beard short!! Matches keep going out when lighting the BBQ, boooom!! What a dangerous lifestyle.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/22 02:40:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

Is there anything you cannot put in a deep frier?

M&Ms fall through the wires. OK, I am making fried twinkies for my boyfriend's birthday. If you are so inclined, here is a recipe I found in the LA Times:

THE CHIPSHOP"S FRIED TWINKIE

1 cup flour
    1 tablespoon malt vinegar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    12 ounces water

Mix batter until it is the consistency of custard. Cool twinkie in refrigerator, then roll first in flour, then in batter. Drop twinkie in industrial fryer for 90 seconds until golden brown. Top with powdered sugar.

They serve is with a berry coulis, but I think that's gilding the lily. The malt vinegar makes me sqeamish, but these people batter and deep fry sausages and eat them on a stick. If I can't trust them, who can I trust?

PS. As for lighting body parts on fire, I have you all beat, but some things a lady just does not tell.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/05/26 00:27:17 (permalink)
    FOLLOW UP: I made the fried twinkies tonite. It was fascinating to play with, and the first bite was great. But the second bite was not so good and by the third bite you are seriously grossed out. I was afraid to leave out the malt vinegar in case the chemistry would be off, but EWWWW, you could really taste it. I never thought something could be too greay or sweet for me, but I am beaten. Pass the tofu and brown rice.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/06/07 18:59:08 (permalink)
    I saw that the State Fair here will have them, and the experience junkie in me wants to try them, but the rational side remembers what fried food does to me and reminds me that I have a phobia about Port-a-Johns shared by 10,000 people. So I guess I'm going to have to pass...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/06/07 19:57:41 (permalink)
    There are times that nothing beats the super sweet quality taste of a Twinkie. Fried right is superior. I have tried it several times and not all gets it right.

I ain't sure what right is, but some are super and some are NAPALM!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3967
    RE: Fried Twinkies 2003/08/01 12:34:45 (permalink)
    I went to the Ventura County Fair yesterday and couldn't resist the fried oreos. The comments from my party were very good. I thought it was neat that they were soft, almost like you had dipped them in milk. They were served on a plate with podered sugar and chocolate sauce drizzled on them. I'm a convert.....yum!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1