Fried calamari

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/12 19:45:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

When I ordered calamari in a local Greek owned restaurant, I asked the waitress if it was fresh, she rolled her eyes, and said yes.

Reminds me of a time when I ordered some "fresh-shucked" oysters in a local restaurant. I should have noticed that "flag", but I was young and foolish then. (Now, I'm just foolish.)

Although their color looked a little "off", I ate one. I immediately called the waitress over to complain that those things were WAY far from being fresh. She argued, "No, Sir, they ARE fresh. I saw them being opened."

Well, there's a difference between "fresh" and "freshly-shucked oysters that have been dead for a week".
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/12 20:28:56 (permalink)
reminded me of a funny:
When i was in cooking school a chef/instructor told a story about how his kids were REALLLY REAllly pICKY EATERS and they'd go out to eat and order calimari~~~ not knowing that it was squid! After they were older ( at this point, teenagers) he finally told them it WAS squid , WHILE they were eating it. Apparantly, one of the girls was so freaked out she cried!!!!!
fuuuuuuny. Calimari, ummmm i love it. ive had it in brew pubs and gourmet restaurants. Greek style calimari is so good. i definitly like it better fried than chilled and marinated....
i have a cookbook called "the international squid cookbook"by issac cronin.....
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Fried calamari 2005/03/06 06:07:18 (permalink)
My wife and I made calamari at home and told the kids it was "California Fish". First time or two they loved it. When we told them what it was, they made faces and noises and I don't think we ever made it again.
LarryR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Fried calamari 2005/04/03 16:36:38 (permalink)
Anyone know the sauce they serve on fried calamari ar Vincent's at Mott and Hester in Little Italy, Manhattan?
txtwister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: Fried calamari 2005/04/03 21:40:34 (permalink)
Here's another odd recommendation for really good fried calimari... The Spaghetti Warehouse chain. Don't know how they do it, because you know it has to be frozen - but it's wonderful. I'd consider buying a deep fryer if I knew the supplier.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Fried calamari 2005/04/19 09:35:47 (permalink)
Another chain with fantastic calamari is Maggiano's. It is always hot, crispy and not tough, mostly small circles with occasional teeny babies. And the portion is huge.
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Fried calamari 2005/04/20 16:57:48 (permalink)
I've had calamari all over the country and, bar none, the absoulute best is at Duke's in Malibu....it's cut into strips rather than rings...and sooooooooo TENDER...not chewy at all...perfect after surfing snack (with a Mai Tai!)
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/14 15:09:38 (permalink)
I love calamari, but I didn't used to.
I'd had yucky chewy stuff when I was young and first experimenting in food beyond mac and cheese and PB&J.
Then I was visiting my sister in Chicago about 4 yrs ago and we went to a restaurant in Greektown (sorry don't remember the name). They cut the calamari very thin, you could almost see through it. Very lightly breaded and very crunchy. I don't remember if they served it with marinara sauce, but I doubt it. Last time we were there they were out. I cried (but the Sambuco made up for it - almost).

Here in Williamsburg VA there is one place that makes very good calamari - Cornerstone Grill. They serve the "tentacles" as you all have been saying. They serve it with a spinach ailio (sp?) type of sauce. One cavet - their service is ...I was about to say "quirky", but no it's just bad. They only reason we go there regularly is because some friend of mine bellydance in the bar once a month.

Another very good place in SE VA for calamari is The Baker's Crust (Richmond and Va Beach). Again, not a marinara sauce and uses all the bits. Apparently they use a little graham cracker in their breading for added crunch and a little sweetness.

Sorry for the long post
Cathy
pappy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/14 21:32:35 (permalink)
When Pappy was still an active firefighter, we used to cook up a nice batch of fried Calamari for the fellas now and then. Personally, I like the tentacles best... We had to drive on into Tarpon Springs where a friend of mine used to get just the freshest and best on the planet for us to buy. We had to clean them ourselves, but it was well worth the little bit of extra effort.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELICIOUS...

Mrs. Pappy

porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/15 13:36:51 (permalink)
Like many of you, my first encounter with calamari was of the rubber band variety and for years I chose to take a pass on them (even when assured that "these are different") until a few years ago on a vacation in Spain. We found a little shack that served drinks and snacks on a Mediterranean beach (topless, I might add) near the town of Fuengirola that served fresh, whole, baby squid that were lightly battered and fried quickly. We devoured batch after batch with only a little salt and a sprinkle of vinegar. Try as I might, I've never been able to locate a source for these little treasures and I've been told by more than a few fishmongers that I probably never will. Lately, I've been making do with those served at Carrabba's which are very tender and good, but not quite the same.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/15 14:19:43 (permalink)
I love 'em but they've been a bit taboo in my family the last couple years... You see, my niece's fetal name was Squidleigh (don't ask) - my mother in particular was hoping she would lose the nickname at birth when she got a REAL name, but no... she's 2+ now and still Squiddy or The Squid most of the time. I asked my sis recently if they were eating calamari again and they are, occasionally - in fact, Squiddy herself has eaten it! But she's still too young to appreciate the irony or to wonder about her parents...
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/15 14:21:14 (permalink)
I live in Florida,but whenever in Monteray Ca we go to Rappa's
at the end of the wharf.
Best calamari I have had anywhere in the country
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried calamari 2005/06/15 14:23:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dctourist

I love 'em but they've been a bit taboo in my family the last couple years... You see, my niece's fetal name was Squidleigh (don't ask) - my mother in particular was hoping she would lose the nickname at birth when she got a REAL name, but no... she's 2+ now and still Squiddy or The Squid most of the time. I asked my sis recently if they were eating calamari again and they are, occasionally - in fact, Squiddy herself has eaten it! But she's still too young to appreciate the irony or to wonder about her parents...

I should add that Squiddy is a most excellent, wide-ranging, and enthusiastic foodie at her young age, a credit to her family.
koloa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Fried calamari 2006/03/23 21:57:58 (permalink)

thats awesome. carrabbas is mine and my wife's favorite restaurant. the calamari ricardo + sauce is awesome, chicken marsala, chicken gratella, and the seafood pasta, all a+. sometimes even the ceasar salad is fresh, cold, and crisp. the chocolate dream is also very good.

quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Believe it or not, there really is a chain restaurant that serves great Italian food, and fantastic calamari. Carrabba's Italian Grill.

http://www.carrabbas.com/

The only reason I would even bring this up is because they possibly serve the best fried calamari I've ever had.

foodfan1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Fried calamari 2006/05/18 14:47:47 (permalink)
The Weathervane with locations in Portland,Maine Rutland,Vermont and Saratoga, NY makes a killer fried calamari.
jamis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Fried calamari 2006/05/19 09:34:21 (permalink)
Harry's Restaurant & Dairy Bar
149 Turnpike Road (Route 9), Westborough, Massachusetts

Excellent seafood (especially the calimari, which my wife gets every time). Very consistant.

They are open very late and actually have a fairly big/varied menu. Definately a 'greasy spoon' type atmosphere.
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Fried calamari 2006/05/19 09:39:13 (permalink)
Welcome to roadfood foodfan1 and jamis...foodfan1..if you like a different twist on calamari...there is a place in Latham...Otis & Oliver's on Rte 7 located in Cocca's motel in the site that used to be Buckshots....they dip it in just a tad of flour and flash fry it..so it's crispy...but not bready etc...then serve it over homemade chunky marinara and throw some cherry pepper rings on top....it's fantastic...and you really get to taste the calamari instead of breading and tarter sauce....though..I do like Weathervane when they have fried smelts!!!
foodfan1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Fried calamari 2007/10/19 03:32:02 (permalink)
hey guys, just thought I'd mention that this past weekend, me and my dad made fried calamari ourselves, and man was it easy.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1