Fried calamari

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
2004/12/30 16:31:47 (permalink)

Fried calamari

Brew City in Worcester, Mass was serving fried calameri on their Christmas party buffet. It was the best that I have had in a long time. I might go back and buy it off the menu. A lot of us were sort of "stripping" the buffet by doing the calamari and not much else. They didn't seem to mind because they kept putting more out. I like the rings more than the tenticals (sp?)

47 Replies Related Threads

Andoo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Fried calamari 2004/12/30 17:25:22 (permalink)
    Hey tmiles, here in Monterey, CA. on the other end of the country from you, fried calamari is a specialty because of all the Italians. My Christmas morning breakfast has been squid and fried eggs for years. There was a place a few years ago that had a signature dish called the "Scott Burger". It was a cheeseburger with two slabs of fried suid and tarter sauce on it. It was my buddy DinoS's favorite dish. He still laments it's demise. We also have a place on Fishermans Wharf that has the rings and tentacles sauteed in olive oil, dry white wine, garlic, and a little squid ink to turn it a little black, that is out of this world. Try getting some tentacles and blanching them in boiling water for a few minutes, than cooling them, marinating them in red wine vinegar, oil, onions, garlic and chives. There's no better better dish with a few beers
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Fried calamari 2004/12/30 22:19:53 (permalink)
    I've had calamari on the east coast, and in California, as well as the midwest, it's one of my favorite foods, seems to be sold as an appetizer in most places. I had it as an entree at a place near San Fran that was served in a hunk, like a steak, not breaded rings.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7022
    RE: Fried calamari 2004/12/31 03:17:55 (permalink)
    Oh fried calamari! Lord, send me back to Hanover St. in Boston's North End, plop me at one of the 10 tables at Mangia Calamari (The Daily Catch)and just look at Mr. Lee, the chef that's been there for 20 years .......and instantly the most delicious plate of fried calamari appears in front of you. Lots of lemon..........the best fried calamari I have EVER EATEN!

Then there are the calamari meatballs, the squid ink linguine, the stuffed calamari on linguine, the calamari marinara.........unquestionably my favorite restaurant in Boston!!!!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Fried calamari 2004/12/31 04:22:07 (permalink)

Here is one place where I have to differ from all of my friends. Calamari is Fishbait. It is very good Fishbait. It is unfit for human consumption . End of story.
    NYCTransplant
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Fried calamari 2004/12/31 08:05:02 (permalink)
    " />FISHBAIT????" />

I will agree that "rubber band" calamari is unfit, even for fish. However, when cooked correctly, so it is tender and moist with a good fried coating, there is not much better in the way of comfort food.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/01 18:58:23 (permalink)
    Andoo, when I was out that way years ago, I had sauted squid and eggs for breakfast at that little place on the commercial wharf. It was the best ever. I get it fried often but always think of that one place.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/01 19:42:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Here is one place where I have to differ from all of my friends. Calamari is Fishbait. It is very good Fishbait. It is unfit for human consumption . End of story.

Recon you can call me Grouper then.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/01 21:19:05 (permalink)

No personal attacks intended with my comment. Live Squid is referred to as the Candy Bait for taking Yellowtail and Tuna off the Pacific Coast. Frozen Squid is a poor second, but still outperforms most other forms of natural or artifical baits used for those species.
    It has been my unfortuneate experience that ALL Squid I have ever tried in various Asian cities and on the left coast has been of the rubberband variety. What a terrible waste of batter and oil to prepare something that tastes and feels like it should be served at GoodYear Tire Centers. I will be happy to alter that concept if I ever have Squid served that fits some of the descriptions above. SO far, my version stands!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/02 01:31:02 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, with all due respect, you must NOT pass judgement on the lowly and mostly unloved squid until you've tried it at The Daily Catch!
    www.dailycatch.com
    This is not an endorsement for The Daily Catch.....well.....maybe just a LITTLE endorsement.......heck, I even took The Big Guy there and he LOVED,LOVED,LOVED it. If I had only enough time to eat ONE meal in Boston, I would go there. Hands down, my favorite restaurant in Beantown!!!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/02 16:50:14 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor and I say this with all due respect since
    I met you at the Maryland crab fest.
    But.
    I have eaten calamari all around our world
    and when cooked properly and fresh it is sweet
    and succulent and tasty. It must be fresh and
    coated properly and cooked no more than a minute
    or two in hot oil.
    And yes it does make great bait for catching
    fish.
    Keep on looking for the good stuff.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/02 18:25:16 (permalink)
    There was a guy here in Monterey that had a breakfast/lunch joint called 'Snack & Yack' that made the best fried squid ever. He only used Monterey Bay squid (1/8" thick - not those thick steaks from Mexico!) and he pounded it (absolutely necessary!) with his secret blend of flour and spices and then deep fried it for a minute or two. Fantastic.

Unfortunately most of the local restaurants seem to have lost the cooking techniques that were common 25 years ago.

Nobody locally would waste Monterey Bay squid by using it as fish bait. There's not enough to go around for the PEOPLE that want to eat it!

Dino
    Andoo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/03 12:20:09 (permalink)
    RC51Mike, If you had it on the commercial wharf, (as opposed to the tourist) you ate at either the Sand Bar, or Joe's Boat Hoist (now LuLu's). Both are pretty good and draw a little more of a locals crowd. I have to agree with DinoS. The local squid is far superior to the thicker Mexican variety. The local is hard to get now. Ten years ago you could just go down and get a five gallon bucket for almost nothing. The main cost associated with it then was the price of the beer you drank while cleaning that much.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 15:42:40 (permalink)
    I hate to be a total weenie regarding squid - have eaten it a few times, if I don't think about what it, is, certainly don't find taste offensive, somewhat similar to clams. But I just CAN'T get past the fact that it is a squid!!!! Yet, I'll happily eat a hot dog, the contents of which are far more foul than the squid, which, from my understanding, eats a fairly nice seafood diet.....go figure. And octopus? The way I saw it presented in Greece (or prepared on "Iron Chef" in the most vile episode of them all) makes me unable to even consider comsuming.....
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 16:12:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I have to agree, BUT I have never tried it, can't get up the nerve to. I eat alot of things people shudder at but I just can't do the calamari thing. Must have watched to much Jaques Cousteau growing up. I love grouper though!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 16:46:38 (permalink)
    and in this corner,wearing the calamari colored shorts is IIeechef,in the opposite corner,we have,wearing fishermans gear,the legendary 'Al-The'Mayor'.......10 rounds,loser eats calamari,unless IIeechef loses,then she has to go fishiing with the mayor where she must fish or cut bait
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 16:58:29 (permalink)
    I have only had properly prepared squid in one place... and that place was razed to the ground this past year! dangit!
    bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 17:31:41 (permalink)
    Hey, Leelee chef, I recently went to the daily catch for the first time. Indeed, the food was good. I had pasta with white clam sauce which was very very good. but the ambience leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't mind poor ambience(plastic wine cups, clanging pots being washed a few feet from me) if the price reflected it...i.e. was lower, but the prices were high...i think a glass of wine was like eight dollars, and the quality was poor,and out of a plastic cup. just my opinion. also, for those prices, they could have given me a bit more pasta, i mean pasta is cheap and i really wasn't filled up.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 21:37:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garykg6

and in this corner,wearing the calamari colored shorts is IIeechef,in the opposite corner,we have,wearing fishermans gear,the legendary 'Al-The'Mayor'.......10 rounds,loser eats calamari,unless IIeechef loses,then she has to go fishiing with the mayor where she must fish or cut bait

How did you know I was wearing the calamari colored shorts? What?? I will go one on one with Al The Mayor......10 rounds. I hope I lose so I can eat all the calamari before he and McDuff get to it!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/04 21:47:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bethgrd

Hey, Leelee chef, I recently went to the daily catch for the first time. Indeed, the food was good. I had pasta with white clam sauce which was very very good. but the ambience leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't mind poor ambience(plastic wine cups, clanging pots being washed a few feet from me) if the price reflected it...i.e. was lower, but the prices were high...i think a glass of wine was like eight dollars, and the quality was poor,and out of a plastic cup. just my opinion. also, for those prices, they could have given me a bit more pasta, i mean pasta is cheap and i really wasn't filled up.

OH! I NEVER said that the ambiance was classy!! They serve the dinners in the saute pans that they cooked them in. I personally have never been able to finish a dinner at The Daily Catch. I have never been served wine in a plastic cup. And yeah, you are seated next to the kitchen but maybe because the chef is a dear friend of mine, makes me endeared to this place. We chat back and forth while he cooks my calamari, cooks my pasta, then comes to the table and has a glass of wine with us.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/05 13:43:05 (permalink)
    For years I made calamari steaks, cutting them into strips, Italian breadcrumbs and panfrying them. I always said it was calamri and the kids loved it. Finally one day my oldest aske what kind of animal a "calamari" was. When I explained, I saw a very strange look on his face, but the kids by then loved calamari so much they kept eating it!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/05 13:47:50 (permalink)
    My grandson loved calamari -- until the first night he had to clean all the squid for a special at the restaurant where he was working.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/05 13:59:42 (permalink)
    I usually eat it only at a bar as a snack.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/08 02:04:33 (permalink)
    Love salt and pepper squid at Vietnamese restaurants. Also loved calimari salads when intoduced to them in San Fransisco a few years ago
    Seriousfoody
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/10 11:57:14 (permalink)
    Fishbait is a little strong but I might also have a similar adjective for liver! Calamari if not prepared correctly can be like chewing erasers. Again its all in the time it takes to cook it. The same could be said for lobster if over cooked. I have had outstanding grilled squid at Portugese restaurants also, almost butter tender!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/10 12:05:14 (permalink)
    The daily catch is good, but if you are a dear personal friend of a chef anywhere, your experience is certainly going to be better than someone in off the street.

Some of the best fried calamari I have been enjoying has been at a korean place that does it. Quickly fried in panko, it is some of the biggest, plumpest and tender calamari I have tasted.

You either have to cook squid very quickly or for a long time, anything in the middle will cause it to be rubbery. I personally like the tentacles. The bands can be good, but if I am served just a plate of those, I almost am sure that the place used pre-fried frozen jobs.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/10 20:01:11 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, there really is a chain restaurant that serves great Italian food, and fantastic calamari. Carrabba's Italian Grill.

http://www.carrabbas.com/

The only reason I would even bring this up is because they possibly serve the best fried calamari I've ever had.

ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/10 20:25:52 (permalink)
    I'm 1/2 Italian, so I've had some fried calamari in my day. But the absolute best restaurant calamari I've ever had is a recent discovery. The name of the place is (I'm not making this up) Rocco's Calamari on 64th Street and Fort hamilton Parkway in Brooklyn NY. Calamari is obvioulsy thier specialty, but they have other Italian specialties as well. There's a huge open air grocery store right across the street, so parking in next to impossible unless you know they have a small lot in back (there's no sign). Prices are very reasonble. ---Ken
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/11 09:58:06 (permalink)
    Bushie,

I agree, the calamari at Carrabas is pretty good. But as in all of the Outback owned restauarants I find the food to be tremendously salty. sometimes I can take it, other times it really is too much.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Fried calamari 2005/01/11 12:17:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

My grandson loved calamari -- until the first night he had to clean all the squid for a special at the restaurant where he was working.

When I ordered calamari in a local Greek owned restaurant, I asked the waitress if it was fresh, she rolled her eyes, and said yes. I asked because the last place I had calamari, it arrived all uniform in size, like so many breaded gaskets, which was what it tasted like. It was ground squid pooted into a tube form, cut like rubber bands, breaded and frozen, simply awful.

Back in the Greek owned restaurant, I shared my fresh calamari with my then seven year old daughter, who absolutely loved it. The next time we went there I made the mistake of asking her if she wanted the fried squid again....

It was six years before she had it again.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1