Fried chicken for breakfast.

Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2007/01/22 01:33:12 (permalink)

Fried chicken for breakfast.

Dearfolk,
Any of you out there either eat or have heard of eating fried chicken for breakfast? The Gateway Cafe' here in Athens, Georgia has it on their breakfast menu... you can get it either hot or cold.
Anybody out there seen or heard of this phenomenon elsewhere, or is it centered on this here poultry belt of Northeast Georgia?
I'm just not chicken crazy enough to eat that for breakfast, even if I'm eating lunch for breakfast... unless I'm in the mood for it.
Fowlly Speaking, Ort. Carlton in Fowlweathered Athens, Georgia.

21 Replies Related Threads

Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 363
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 02:28:19 (permalink)
    When I was very young (5 or 6) and my Fathers Mother was still able to run her household..everybody got up and did chores around the farm and then about 6:30 or 7 she would call everybody to the table for breakfast. This woman was used to cooking for thrashing crews...but it was not unusual to find pork chops, sausage patties, eggs, bisquits, ham slices, gravy, jams, pan fried chicken, fried fish if anyone had caught any, pancakes, cracklin cornbread, STRONG coffee, fresh milk and home churned butter. The kitchen smelled soo good and we'd all eat like pigs. Then when we would go home to St.Louis and have toast, and oatmeal for breakfast and I'd ask my Mom for some trout or a pork chop for breakast...she'd just smile and tell me I had to wait for the next trip.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 02:54:57 (permalink)
    I do so love a chicken biscuit (or two) in the morning. Honey dipped is especially appealing though not required to make my day.

I also admit to eating cold leftover chicken with my coffee. No problems as of yet!
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 03:17:46 (permalink)
    I've had fried chicken for breakfast in the same manner as I've had fried rabbit.. with biscuits and gravy...yum! I've also eaten my mother's cold fried chicken dipped in cold gravy...yum again! And how about those chicken and waffles?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 04:54:42 (permalink)
    i've never had it fixed for b'fast but I'v eaten leftovers many times.

MikeS.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 05:34:54 (permalink)
    I've been known to eat anything for breakfast. Fried chicken is good anytime!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 06:49:22 (permalink)
    On our last trip while eating country ham with some red-eye gravy, eggs, grits, and biscuits at The Black and White in Tunica, I casually questioned our waitress when they started serving my favorite fried chicken in the world? "Why honey you can have some for breakfast"! I'm almost counting the days until I can order just that.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 13:24:21 (permalink)
    I had left over fried chicken this afternoon when I got up (yes I said this afternoon, sucks to work until early AM), but the chicken was good!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 17:50:14 (permalink)
    I love Tunica, hope to get back there this year.

MikeS.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 17:58:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing
    I had left over fried chicken this afternoon when I got up (yes I said this afternoon, sucks to work until early AM), but the chicken was good!

Cajun King,
    Because I got used to being an all-night disc jockey, and after that wrote late at night downtown in a weekly newspaper office (no distractions), late hours are an utterly normal thing for me.
    Both the U. Ga, Library and the bars close at 2:00 A. M. (the library Sunday through Thursday; the bars Monday through Saturday), so it's usual for me to arrive home at 2:30 A. M.
    If I go out drinking (usually Friday or Saturday after the library closes: it's open truncated hours those two nights), I wait for the drunks to clear out before heading home... usually 3:00 A. M. or later, depending on the situation (it also gives me an extra hour to be SURE I'm at 0.05% or below, my threshold for driving!).
    I've got at least two friends who close bars seven nights a week (because they work there!). Late hours are common in Athens.
    Upon occasion, being out late makes me want a piece of fried chicken before going home, and all I can scrounge up is chicken fingers or tenders. No self-respecting chicken I ever met had either of those....
    Folks, I appreciate the posts. This is a serious thread, and -- except in the "off topic" areas, I've never authored one that isn't.
    Unfowlingly, Ort. Carlton in Graycloudy Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I usually wake up between 1:00 and 2:00 in the afternoon. I like to read awhile after I get home. Hmmm... I'll bet others of you do likewise.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15241
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 18:28:15 (permalink)

Although I have never had the opportunity to enjoy their products, we have seen reviews on this site for several "CHICKEN AND WAFFLE" Restaurants that specialize in serving those two menu items on a "Combination" breakfast (or lunch or dinner). Roscoe's in Los Angeles comes to mind as does one run by Gladys Knight (of Mo-Town Fame) that I believe has units in NYC and Atlanta. Others???
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 18:50:56 (permalink)
    For me, cold fried chicken is a fine breakfast ... particularly with a side of biscuits and some sausage gravy.
    It's a particularly good breakfast because if I wait til lunch, it's gone.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 18:58:07 (permalink)
    I remember my grandmother cooking big breakfasts such as Big g spoke of earlier in this thread. Breakfasts and lunches were truly the big meals of the days back then when farmers truly did farm and work hard from daybreak to sundown. After lunch a small nap was usually called for before returning to the remaining jobs to be done on the farm. But all those wonderful meals meant for great culinary memories of my GRandmother's cooking.

Donna
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8326
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 19:00:48 (permalink)
    Had some fried chicken legs I made last night for breakfast...kept me full til lunch!!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 19:24:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
    Although I have never had the opportunity to enjoy their products, we have seen reviews on this site for several "CHICKEN AND WAFFLE" Restaurants that specialize in serving those two menu items on a "Combination" breakfast (or lunch or dinner). Roscoe's in Los Angeles comes to mind as does one run by Gladys Knight (of Mo-Town Fame) that I believe has units in NYC and Atlanta. Others???

Mr. Mayor,
    Their website gives the name as Gladys Knight & Ron Winan's Chicken & Waffles, and explains that the combination started at Wells' Restaurant in Harlem in the 1930's.
    Their locations are:
    1) 529 Peachtree St., N/W in downtown Atlanta. A cinch to find.
    2) 7301 Stonecrest Concourse in Lithonia, beside Dillard's in Stonecrest Mall. Right beside I-20.
    3) 860E Capital Centre Blvd. in Largo, MD., next to a Kobe Steakhouse.
    This is another place (among frightfully many!) on my "must try" agenda when I get to Atlanta and have time for a foray. I'll probably opt for the Stonecrest one after an afternon of Conyers-area thrift store shopping; Mamie's Kitchen, though, is a must for breakfast/lunch... the Sterns say so!
    Not Waffling, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Ga.
    Trishkaidekaphobia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/01/22 19:30:13 (permalink)
    I have always associated fried chicken for breakfast with the South after reading about the Finch family having it for breakfast in "To Kill A Mockingbird". Atticus Finch's clients often paid him "in kind" and that day, someone had given him a chicken.
    Ranger Steve
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/08 18:15:31 (permalink)
    Back in '56 we drove out west to visit my Mom's family. She had a sister in southwest Missouri, way out in the middle of nowhere. She raised chickens and goats, and I remember having chicken for almost every meal, and goat's milk to drink. I haven't had chicken for breakfast since, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I never understood the rules for what we can eat and when we can eat it. Where's it written down that chicken is not a breakfast food? What would be so bad about Brown and serve sausages or bacon supper? Cracker Barrel has offers catfish for breakfast, and it's good. I think it's time we break all the food rules anyway.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/08 18:22:27 (permalink)
    there's a place here in albuquerque
    called hometown buffet.
    they always have fried chicken on
    their breakfast hot line.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/09 11:07:05 (permalink)
    Got home this morning looking for something to eat and lo and behold there was a fryer in the fridge.

I didn't have the time I need to let it properly sit in the butter milk before flouring and frying, but the chiken turned out delicious none the less. I am now stuffed and ready for sleep.

Hmmmmm Chicken for breakfast, Ort thanks for the idea!
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/09 11:40:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

there's a place here in albuquerque
    called hometown buffet.
    they always have fried chicken on
    their breakfast hot line.

This thread had me thinking it would be tough to find fried chicken for breakfast up here in New England, but I'd sure like some. Then you mentioned Hometown Buffet, aka Old Country Buffet (and now this thread has to be moved to the chain forum, doesn't it? ). I don't think they have chicken on the breakfast line around here, but if you arrive right at the changeover from breakfast to lunch you can have your eggs and chicken, too.

And yes, sad but true, OCB is about as good a fried chicken as you find in these parts.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/09 11:52:22 (permalink)
    Here in Dallas there is a small- drive in type restaurant that serves waffles and fried chicken- it's the only one I've seen around here- on the corner of Forest and Audelia , I think it's called Momma's Fried Chicken and Waffles? The name says it all. They say it's awfully good- don't know haven't been able to figure out when to go- breakfast or dinner?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Fried chicken for breakfast. 2007/02/10 09:02:26 (permalink)
    Ashphalt, there is a spot on Mass. Ave in the south end thats a chicken and waffle house. Damnd if I can think of the name of it, but I'll get back and post it here. I could never figure out that concept, but the place looks busy when I go by. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1