Fried fish concession trailer

Author
Dyoung
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/06/26 23:45:41 (permalink)

Fried fish concession trailer

My name is David and I am a 32yr old marine corps combat vet. I am stating a concession trailer business and plan on selling fried fish. Limited menu. Fish fries slaw onions and drinks.. What size trailer should I get? My crew consists of two of the hardest working guys in the industry. We can knock out fish orders in minutes.. I welcome any and all advice !

3 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:Fried fish concession trailer 2014/06/27 01:34:48 (permalink)
    First, to you and your crew, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE and Welcome to Roadfood!
    Are youze guys building this yourselves? If so----------------------
    You need to design your trailer from the INSIDE Out not the OUTSIDE In.
    Consult your Health Dept. FIRST to see what the equipment requirements are that they have so you know how much space you need to accommodate it.
    SPECIAL Attention should be given to the Vent Hood  and Sink Requirements. 
    First establish your menu and all the component items that go into support that menu including food components, cooking utensils, condiments, paper products (A big space hog)
    Storage for cleaning supplies?
    Handling oil for Fryers in transit? 
    How many fryers will you need to cook fish?
    How many to cook Fries?
    How big a freezer do you need to keep enough product on hand?
    How big a fridge?
    How large of a prep table to you need to assemble your plates?
    Condiment table inside?
    Making the slaw from scratch or buying bagged? Different equipment and space needs depending on how you do it.
    Buns or no buns? Buns take up storage space. How much space do you need if you use buns?
    What size Propane tanks will you need to support your fryers?
    How much space and Weight will they occupy?
    Do you need a Generator for your Freezers & Fridge?
    How big and how much space does it require? 
    The list goes on & on but I think you get the picture.
    Just like planning a mission - The 6 P's - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
    Decide on EVERYTHING you need equipment & work space wise if all of you are going to be in the trailer at the same time so you're not tripping over each other and falling into the fryer! (Don't laugh, it happens).
    Get exact measurements on EVERYTHING that's going into the trailer and then do an ACCURATE drawing of everything to scale on draft paper in a LOGICAL order that will streamline the efficient work flow to make your service fast and safe.
    Anyone take mechanical drawing in school?
    Once you get a floor plan and work flow diagram, only then are you ready to buy a trailer in a size that will handle your equipment and crew.
    Get the size you need to handle the equipment you'll need.
    AND --- Don't forget to take into account any future plans for expanding your menu.
    Remember, your menu decides your trailer size, not vice versa.
    Do not take a READY - FIRE - AIM approach to buying a trailer and then finding out it's too small or unnecessarily too big for your equipment and what you need to accomplish putting together an efficient operation.
    The other more expensive alternative is to go to a Reputable concession trailer builder, give him your specs and let them design it for you and you can build it yourselves or have them build it for you if you can afford it. 
    Good Luck! Semper Fi!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/27 03:47:02
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Fried fish concession trailer 2014/06/27 19:19:53 (permalink)
    Google Louisville Food Trucking 101. The Grind Burger Kitchen trailer opened a  B&M restaurant and they have a food trucking 101 class for $32. The Courier-Journal gave them a good review for the class. I give them a great review for their FOOD.
    Take Care, Karl
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:Fried fish concession trailer 2014/06/29 00:51:53 (permalink)
    Two builders are Concession Nation www.concessionnation.com in Florida and California Cart Builders, http://www.californiacartbuilder.com/
    Just had a thought!
    There may be some programs to help returning Vets with new business startups.
    Have you looked for any of these?
    EDIT AGAIN!
    http://www.sba.gov/community/blogs/operation-boots-business-introduces-returning-veterans-entrepreneurship
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/shaunso/2012/10/10/five-programs-you-must-know-about-if-youre-a-veteran-entrepreneur/
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/29 01:56:39
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1