Frisch's Big Boy

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Christa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/09/10 16:18:35 (permalink)

Frisch's Big Boy

Anyone know where one of these places is loacted?? They used to be in Florida, but not anymore. I miss those Big Boy hamburgers.

50 Replies Related Threads

prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/10 17:41:06 (permalink)
    Give me a Big Boy over a Primanti's anyday.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/10 17:52:31 (permalink)
    Yeah, there used to be one across from where the Florida Mall is now. Are these the same as Bob's Big Boy?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/10 18:52:49 (permalink)
    .....and there are a bunch of Big Boys in and around Raleigh, N.C.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/10 23:29:13 (permalink)
    OK,everybodys entitled to an opinion,heres mine.I have listened to this garbage for 6 months now.Can we please stop the "Mommy Mommy this thread is in the wrong forum" business? If a moderator is on the ball,with the less than 100 posts a day (my estimate)on the entire forum,he doesnt need toadies to tell him that a thread or post is mislocated.As stated above,if its a simple matter to move a post or thread,then so be it.I myself am not convinced that it is such a simple matter,but I dont have access to moderator powers or documentation.

One thing I am sure of,is that there is way too much bandwidth being wasted on this useless bickering.And I will admit that by posting this,I am probably enabling more useless bickering,and for that I apologize in advance,but I just get fed up.Let the moderators moderate.Let the rest of us post our Roadfood messages.Let the un-deputized vigilantes who feel its their responsibility to police the boards chill out.Lets get back to the basics.

hey,I always liked Frisch's Big Boy.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/11 02:31:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Christa

Anyone know where one of these places is loacted?? They used to be in Florida, but not anymore. I miss those Big Boy hamburgers.

Christa:

Most Frisch's Big Boy restaurants are located in southwest Ohio. There are some in Indiana as well as Columbus and Chillicothe.

Frisch's has their own web site at http://www.frischs.com.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18259
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/11 12:36:50 (permalink)
    quote:

There are Big Boy Restaurants in California, Nevada, Arizona, North Dakota, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida and Hawaii. In Florida, Big Boys are located in Altamonte Springs and Sanford.

Bob's Big Boy was the original. In other areas the Big Boy franchises are under different names. In Michigan, for instance, it's Elias Big Boy. In Ohio it is Frisch's Big Boy. When they had them in West Virginia, and in portions of Ohio, they were Shoney's Big Boy
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/11 14:37:46 (permalink)
    I don't think they were as big in New England as in some other parts of the country, but in parts of New England they were Abdow's Big Boy (which is a pretty good mouthful in itself). All long gone...

In college we'd order the cheapest item that came with the salad and soup bar, and fill up on the wallpaper paste, I mean potato soup. You could only take a cup at a time, because any more cooled and solidified before you could finish it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15180
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/11 14:46:56 (permalink)

Add to Michael Hoffman's regional names... JB's seemed to be the InterMountain States owner of the trademark. JB's BigBoys are still quite active in many cities in Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Montana.

We have a new..about a year old now-- Frisch's Big Boy in Clarksville Indiana. It is much larger than the previous buildings I have seen for that chain.
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/11 22:17:05 (permalink)
    There is a Frisch's Big Boy in Nicholasville, KY. There is also one up the road in Lexington, KY, and to quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, "That is a tasty burger!"
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 00:27:57 (permalink)
    Our Frisch's BB (lawrenceburg, indiana) is our oldest fast food chain in the county.

started out as the old drive in style, then went to a sitin/ drive in, then in the late 70's the closed the drive in portion and just did sit in, and now they have expanded their size and made a much bigger sit in/drive thru place.

Our Lion's club goes there every tuesday night after our meeting for hot fudge cake and coffee.

soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 02:26:34 (permalink)
    quote:

There were Frisch's in Florida? Where? Location?

Frisch's tartar sauce is different from other Big Boy's. Great stuff! {all about the dill pickles~~}!

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 14:06:07 (permalink)
    In Central NY, we had TJ's Big Boy. I worked there. My first food service experience. As TJ's was being bought by Elias, manager turned in butt-heads and the whole ship went sinking. It becasme a nightmare of a place to work at.

Today, there are no big boy restaurants anywhere in NY state, except for some big boy "express" type places at some rest stops along the NYS Thru-way.

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 16:38:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

Frisch's tartar sauce is different from other Big Boy's. Great stuff! {all about the dill pickles~~}!

Back in the 60's & 70's, and up into the 80's, Frisch's created an alliance with the Quality Inn Motel folks who were rapidly expanding along with the completion of the Interstate Highway system. As part of the deal, Frisch's announced an aggresive program to build new Frisch's Big Boy units throughout the southeast along major Interstate arteries, and particularly in conjunction with the construction of new Quality Inn hotels/motels.
    Previous posters were correct in that there were many different Big Boy licensees in various geographic locations around the country. Frisch's were always concentrated in Cincinnati, Dayton and the SW Ohio area. So this was their 1st big move to break out of their traditional marketing area. So for awhile you could find them in Florida and along I-75, etc, etc. Problem was that a number of other restaurant chains (i.e., Shoney's, Denny's, etc) were attempting the same strategy and in the end there was very little to diffrentiate Frisch's "family dining" offereings from any of the other players. So just like Nickerson Farms, Dutch Pantry and many others who tried to hitch their growth strategy to the Interstate Hwy expansion, in the end there became way too much competition and not enough demand to sustain all those units.
    I believe Frisch's sold their Florida units to a Lexington, KY outift called Jerry's (which also then owned Long John Silver's), but they too eventually faded away and I think most/all of the Jerry's are gone now except maybe a few in central Kentucky.
    So, if you want a Frisch's Big Boy, or a Brawny Lad, or a Buddy Boy (all traditional Frisch's sandwich offerings), you'll just have to hit the road for Southern Ohio or Northern/Central Kentucky. (There may be more to the Frisch's expansion story so if any RF-ers can add more feel free to have at it.)

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 19:10:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

Back in the 60's & 70's, and up into the 80's, Frisch's created an alliance with the Quality Inn Motel folks who were rapidly expanding along with the completion of the Interstate Highway system. As part of the deal, Frisch's announced an aggresive program to build new Frisch's Big Boy units throughout the southeast along major Interstate arteries, and particularly in conjunction with the construction of new Quality Inn hotels/motels.
    Previous posters were correct in that there were many different Big Boy licensees in various geographic locations around the country. Frisch's were always concentrated in Cincinnati, Dayton and the SW Ohio area. So this was their 1st big move to break out of their traditional marketing area. So for awhile you could find them in Florida and along I-75, etc, etc. Problem was that a number of other restaurant chains (i.e., Shoney's, Denny's, etc) were attempting the same strategy and in the end there was very little to diffrentiate Frisch's "family dining" offereings from any of the other players. So just like Nickerson Farms, Dutch Pantry and many others who tried to hitch their growth strategy to the Interstate Hwy expansion, in the end there became way too much competition and not enough demand to sustain all those units.
    I believe Frisch's sold their Florida units to a Lexington, KY outift called Jerry's (which also then owned Long John Silver's), but they too eventually faded away and I think most/all of the Jerry's are gone now except maybe a few in central Kentucky.
    So, if you want a Frisch's Big Boy, or a Brawny Lad, or a Buddy Boy (all traditional Frisch's sandwich offerings), you'll just have to hit the road for Southern Ohio or Northern/Central Kentucky. (There may be more to the Frisch's expansion story so if any RF-ers can add more feel free to have at it.)

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

Wow, I never knew Frisch's were outside the Cincinnati area/ region. Thanks for the info!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/12 23:38:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

There are Big Boy Restaurants in California, Nevada, Arizona, North Dakota, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Florida and Hawaii. In Florida, Big Boys are located in Altamonte Springs and Sanford.

Bob's Big Boy was the original. In other areas the Big Boy franchises are under different names. In Michigan, for instance, it's Elias Big Boy. In Ohio it is Frisch's Big Boy. When they had them in West Virginia, and in portions of Ohio, they were Shoney's Big Boy

In Chicago area it was Topp's Big Boy, My favorite was the Slim Jim Sandwich
    Rowsdower98
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/13 14:53:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by QFan

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

There's still a Jerry's or two around Bowling Green, KY on the Bluegrass Parkway. Jerrry's was owned by a company called Jerrico who not only gave us, as you said, Long John Silver's, but Fazoli's as well.
    andyh40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2006/09/13 15:50:33 (permalink)
    We have a Frisch's in Springfield Ohio (although I no longer live there). Everytime I'm in town, I make a beeline for it! The Big Boy sandwich, IMO, is the greatest there is, and I love their onion rings. They also made a superb Chef salad with special Thousand Island dressing that had `chopped eggs!
    IndyRick
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/08 18:15:19 (permalink)
    There are two Frisch's in Anderson, Indiana. The one downtown has real character, I love that place. There's nothing like a Brawny Lad!!!

And there's one in Indianapolis, on 96th street, just west of I-69. There may be more in Indy, but that's the only one I'm aware of.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/08 19:05:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:

quote:

In Chicago area it was Topp's Big Boy, My favorite was the Slim Jim Sandwich
    In the Chicago area where i lived it was Marc's Big Boy, not Topp's.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/08 19:11:05 (permalink)
    I believe it is Shoney's in Knoxville and my entire family has lunch there every Sunday after church. The buffet works for the family and they are very child friendly.

That works for us as we have two grandchildren with ages 4 and 6. Boys are boys!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/08 20:26:53 (permalink)
    Years ago in Memphis (60's-70') it was Shoney's Big Boy.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/09 12:58:11 (permalink)
    Just an extra note, Frisch's had a sort of side franchise going at one time. A number of their restaurants in northern Ohio were actually owned by a gentleman named Milt Bennett, who ran them under the Frisch name, but were really not Frisch's.
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/09 12:59:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Add to Michael Hoffman's regional names... JB's seemed to be the InterMountain States owner of the trademark. JB's BigBoys are still quite active in many cities in Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Montana.

We have a new..about a year old now-- Frisch's Big Boy in Clarksville Indiana. It is much larger than the previous buildings I have seen for that chain.

Back in the 70's some of the Montana Big Boys were named Bud's Big Boy.
    FlippyTheRed
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/09 13:30:16 (permalink)
    I'd kill for a Frisch's hot fudge cake right now.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/09 13:32:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FlippyTheRed

I'd kill for a Frisch's hot fudge cake right now.

Their strawberry pie use to be super. I have no idea about it now.

Also the Big Boy was also very good.

Paul E. Smith
    KNoxville, TN
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/09 20:32:54 (permalink)
    Back when I was a kid, the Frisch's in Hartwell/Cincy was a true drive-in where you could order outside in your car and they would bring it to you. Liked the Big Boy's and the Buddy Boy's. Really enjoyed that. My friends and I could be fools outside rather than taking our act inside. White Castle was another place for loading up on late night calories. Miss it.
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/02/10 17:02:58 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

They are in Kentucky too !
    correctinfo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/05/10 09:35:17 (permalink)
    The Name Big Boy is owned by Frisch's. They are based in Cincinnati. I don't know for certain but I believe Bob's Big Boy has to pay Frisch's for the right to use the name Big Boy. The Big Boy Sandwich Frisch's makes is different that those using other restaurant names. Frisch's uses their own tartar sauce.
    cd348
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Frisch's Big Boy 2007/05/15 16:14:10 (permalink)
    There were Frisch's in Louisville when I was growing up. I used to love going to Frisch's and Bob Colglazier's Ranch House. I can't remember the correct spelling for Colglazier; but, their food was really good. They were a great change of pace from White Castle's burgers which were my main source of nourishment in those days.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1