Fritatta recipes

Author
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 496
2010/12/19 09:13:35 (permalink)

Fritatta recipes

Hi I have never made a fritatta.  Do you bake them?  What are some of your recipes.  Can they be re-heated?

13 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1453
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 10:53:46 (permalink)
    Just so happens I whipped one up this morning. We did a one pan chicken breast roast recipe last night and had some yellow pepper, shallots, and  chuncks of red potatoes all infused with garlic, rosemary lemon and chicken juices leftover.

I tossed those in a small skillet with butter and browned them a bit. I then scrambled a couple eggs poured it over the top, turned back the heat to low,  grated some extra sharp NY cheddar over it and seasoned with salt and pepper then covered it.

Once the top was mostly congealed I flipped it and cooked for a minute or two to finish. This is a little tricky, if you're not confident of your flipping skills, use an oven proof skillet (no plastic) and broil the top. It should be nicley browned on the bottom but still moist.

I rarely make them from scratch, almost always using leftovers. You can use left over pasta too. They do microwave nicely
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 12:20:39 (permalink)
    Wow Cosmos sounds delicious with the garlicky potatoes!  I know I could not flip without a mess!
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 12:20:43 (permalink)
    I've witnessed some drivers who were very confident of their flipping skills.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8662
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 12:37:16 (permalink)
    Cosmos has it right-leftovers are awesome in a fritatta. Usually anything goes. The only difference from the above recipe is I bake mine in an oven proof skillet-15 minutes or so at 350. Thats how I was taught in cooking school. And I usually use about 4-6 eggs. And yes, it reheats very well in a microwave.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 19:41:12 (permalink)
    I usually finish mine on top of the stove. I turn down the heat real low, sprinkle with cheese, and put the lid on it. I'm a terrible flipper. SO bad that instead of omelets, I make "scrambled eggs with _________" due to bad flipping.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 22:02:10 (permalink)
    I've been making Fritatta's all my life and didn't even know it.  My father always made them on Sunday morning from whatever was in the refrigerator.   And now it has a name. 

My mother used left overs to make soup de jour---- on Monday or Tuesday the bones from Sundays roast would go into the pot which went on the coal burning stove.  Left overs were added every day and, voila, the soup was different every day too.  Soup de jour, mon ami. 

The special tonight is soup de jour followed by the fritatta of the day.

post edited by the ancient mariner - 2010/12/19 22:04:33
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/19 22:55:06 (permalink)
    By definition, a fritatta is an open-faced (unfolded) omelet that originated in Italy - usually round in shape with other ingredients mixed into the eggs. Frittatas can be baked or fried, or half-fried and then baked.
    A lesser-used method to make a frittata is to cook the egg mixture in a pan until the bottom is set and then invert the frittata into another pan to cook the top. Most frattatas are served warm, but there are some - usually in appetizer-sized portions - that are served at room temperature. Fritatta's can contain anythng that is edible! So, scrambled eggs with anything mixed in can be a fritatta if cooked this way. 
    There are tons of recipes all over the Internet for making Fritatta's.
    And then there's the age old question--- Whats the difference between a Fritatta, an Omlet and a Crustless Quiche?
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/12/19 23:07:32
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4565
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/20 08:34:33 (permalink)
    Yep, fritatta means clean out the fridge in my house.  I don't scramble the eggs though.  I just break the yokes and keep lifting and moving, then I put it under the broiler with chunks of cheese added on top.

Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/20 10:37:52 (permalink)
    Instead of flipping, once the frittata is set, I use the plate/flip  method:
    Place a plate large enough to cover the opening of the skillet upside down over the top of the skillet.  Holding the plate firmly to the skillet, invert the skillet and plate in one motion so that the frittata is now cooked side up on the plate.  Then slide the frittata, uncooked side down, from the plate back into the skillet to finish cooking.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/21 13:41:56 (permalink)
    Frittatas are great for people on Atkins or gluten free. I use whatever is in the refrigerator mixed with four or five eggs. Bake in a cast iron skillet about 350 until almost done. Turn on the broiler to finish. This is a go-to when I'm tired, because it is so easy and quick.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2010/12/26 16:40:56 (permalink)
    I make an omlet that I finish under the broiler,a sorta fritatta.
    4 eggs, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper
    2T butter
    2T cream
    fillings_ I make my fillings in a separate pan.  Usually ham sauteed in butter with onions, green peppers, mushrooms.
    Cheese- I like a mixture or colby  & swiss/
    Diced tomato.

Preheat broiler.
    Break eggs into bowl, beat 80 times( I got this from Cooks Illustrated), eggs are just right, not too overbeaten,but whites & yolks well mixed
    Add butter & cream to 8 inch non-stick.skillet,med/high heat. Melt butter in cream,bring to boil.  Add eggs, after 30 seconds,using a heatproof spatula begin gently folding over eggs.  Cook eggs until eggs are wet on top,but not runny.  Place skillet under broiler, to set eggs.  Watch the eggs constantly, remove the pan with the eggs are just set,no longer looking wet.  Add fillings, top with cheese, place back under broiler, broil until chesse is melted.  Remove, fold omlet over onto plate, top with diced tomato.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2011/01/04 14:43:44 (permalink)
    Thompsonjack,
    It's Unamerican to make any recipe that uses Grams, Liters etc.
    However, since Frittata is an Italian word, I guess it's OK in this case. WELCOME TO ROADFOOD! Home of the thick skinned who can take it as well as give it!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Fritatta recipes 2011/01/18 15:58:48 (permalink)
    Fry up 1 giant onion till just about browned, take off heat.
    Fry up some potatoes in oil till soft, remove and drain on paper towels.
    Clean out pan, now add some EVOO and when warm, add 6 beaten eggs.
    When partially cooked, add onion.
    Add potatoes. Top with salt and pepper.
    Slide off pan, fold, onto a plate.
    Microwave about 1 minute till done.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1