Frito-Lay round corn chips from the early 60's--did not catch on

Author
doompatrol
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/08/25 13:24:52 (permalink)

Frito-Lay round corn chips from the early 60's--did not catch on

I can't remember the name of these. We were living in Houston in the early 60's and I remember these round corn chips coming out. I'm pretty sure they were from Frito-Lay and they were hyping the novelty of them being round and coin-like. That's I why I seem to recall them having a name like PESOS or CENTAVOS, but I see nothing online.  I recall them being about Silver Dollar or half-dollar size.

I can literally picture myself at Chuck Wagon (apparently the actual name of those places was Chuc Wagun) eating a bag of them with my hot dog. I don't think they lasted long and maybe they were just testing them in that region.

post edited by doompatrol - 2013/08/25 23:45:33

2 Replies Related Threads

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Frito-Lay round corn chips from the early 60's--did not catch on 2013/08/27 16:13:45 (permalink)
    According to the US Patent Office, on Wednesday, September 27, 1961, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for PESOS by Frito-Lay North America, Inc., PLANO, TX 75024. The USPTO PESOS trademark serial number was 72128732. The current federal status of this trademark filing is CANCELLED - SECTION 8. The description provided to the USPTO for PESOS is Snack Foods-Namely, Corn Chips.  I have no recollection of these snacks, although I do remember the King Size Fritos of the later 60's and early 70's, which were squarer and thinner than the regular Frito.  Unlike the regular Fritos, which came in the familiar orange bag, the King Size Fritos we had came in a blue can.  King Size Fritos have been revived in recent years as a limited-time item, although I don't think they are currently offered.

Nice to see the picture of the Chuc Wagun.  We would visit our Texas cousins in the summer and would go to the CW for a Wheel Burger.  I remember you paid by dropping your money in a box at the order window and your change would drop out.  That always impressed me as a kid.  The smaller burger was called a Hub and the hot dog was called a Spoke.  Good times.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/08/27 16:32:23
    doompatrol
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Frito-Lay round corn chips from the early 60's--did not catch on 2013/08/27 17:13:31 (permalink)
    Woo-hoo! Thank you! I may have ever only eaten one bag, but I sure remembered it. Just looking at that B&W photo transports me back in time...

I should have searched with Frito-Lay and PESOS!! I kept searching for Frito-Lay and round corn chips, etc. I see a couple of legal things turn up now when I actually use PESOS in the search. I asked on the Frito-Lay website, too. Would love to see the logo or a photo of a bag or ad.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1