Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ

Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
2010/06/28 23:10:35 (permalink)

Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ

UPDATE (12/18/10):  I am starting a new thread here to post reviews of Roadfood-worthy places in the Phoenix area.

ORIGINAL 6/28/10 POST:  Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ
A certain individual from the Keystone State asked me to be on the lookout for Roadfood worthy places in the Phoenix area.  I do believe that I have found one.

I first spotted Fritzi's on Google maps when I was looking for a hotel location in Goodyear, AZ.  I checked the website and was not impressed, so I knew this place had potential.

Fritzi's is located in an out-building in front of Sam's Club.  It is very modern and clean looking - both bad signs for barbecue joints. 

Upon opening the door, I was overwhelmed by the smell of hickory and by the impressive menu on the chalkboard.  There are also several autographed photos of Phoenix pro athletes on the wall, and a chef from another restaurant, still in uniform, was sitting down to eat. I knew I made a good choice.

Bobbi chose the open face pork sandwich with mixed greens and sweet potato casserole as her sides.  She really enjoyed her pork and the sweet potatoes.  She said the pork was extremely well pulled, with no identifiable fat or gristle.  She chose to bypass the slaw that was offered on her sandwich.

I ordered the brisket sandwich and was warned that the brisket was pulled.  Not believing that brisket could be pulled, that cemented the deal.  I had the slaw and mac & cheese for my sides. 

My brisket was indeed pulled, and also quite tasty and juicy, too.  The sauce differed from the sauce on the pork and had a bit of kick.  I really liked the slaw.  It was different from any other slaw I have had, we think Fritzi may use buttermilk, but no one would tell the secret.  The mac & cheese was above average.  Serving sizes were on the large side, too.

The staff of the restaurant was very friendly, we had three different people stop by to chat.  Fritzi came by with her grandson (and his bowl of pork) to talk.  I later caught her feeding him.  With that look on his face, you know it is excellent barbecue.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2010/12/18 15:37:27

5 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ 2010/06/29 06:20:03 (permalink)
    I looked at the website before finishing your report, and like you, thought...'Oh Well', I can pass on this one.  Then I checked your report and am impressed with the food this place puts out.  Thanks for uncovering the "Real Story".
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ 2010/06/30 02:02:40 (permalink)
    Looks like you're finding your way around the West Valley just fine.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ 2010/06/30 11:02:08 (permalink)
    Frankly I don't agree with sauce on Brisket, but if it works, all the better.
    Decent size sides, 8 oz. some joints cheap you out with 4 oz. cups
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10495
    Re:Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ 2010/06/30 11:12:38 (permalink)
    JRPfeff-
    This does look like quite a find.  It would have been hard for me to pass up hot links.  And seeing another chef, in uniform, sure would give you confidence you found the right place.  Thanks for the report!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2767
    Re:Fritzi's Heart & Soul BBQ 2010/07/01 00:19:28 (permalink)
    chewingthefat,

I do not care for most barbecue sauces on brisket, but Fritzi's sauce worked for me.

Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1