Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 387
2010/07/23 15:15:27 (permalink)

Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region

As far as I know, the only genuine frozen custard in the Philadelphia region is served at Zwahlen's.
I just found out that a place called Jake's Frozen Custard is being built in Paoli. Here is their web site: www.jakesfrozencustard.com.
As I indicated, they aren't open yet, but from browsing their web site, it looks promising. The owner grew up in Wisconsin and seems to know a lot about frozen custard. They're also going to serve brats and burgers.
Since I first discovered the difference between real frozen custard and soft serve ice cream a couple years ago, I've been dying for this region to get some more of the former, so I'm very excited about this place!

12 Replies Related Threads

michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2011/03/17 13:15:44 (permalink)
    I've been there.  They call it custard but (based on taste, I haven't seen the ingredients) it's Soft-Serve.  Not the real thing.

The real thing, as I mentioned in another post a while back can be found at Custard and Cakes Creamery on Ridge in Roxborough and Dairyland on Main Street in Manayunk. 
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/24 12:40:01 (permalink)
    Jake's has closed.  Dairyland in Manayunk is also gone.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/24 16:22:18 (permalink)
    Center City is getting a Shake Shack, which serves frozen custard, later this year.

In the mean time, there is still Zwahlen's in the western burbs. Their custard (they call it ice cream; but it's real custard) is outstanding.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/24 17:16:02 (permalink)
    There is a frozen custard place in New Brighton, PA called Hank's.  It's been there as long as I can remember, so at least 55 years.  Their frozen custard is delicious.  In addition to their 20 or so regular flavors, they always have one special.  My parents and I used to hope and pray that it would be black raspberry.....it was SOOOOO good!
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/25 12:21:15 (permalink)
    @Phlmaestro:  Great news about Shake Shack.  I've heard about them and I've even thought about a roadfood roadtrip to NYC.  In addition, to custard, supposedly great burgers and hot dogs.  In NYC they've also got beer and wine but we'll see what happens when they go up against PA liquor laws.
    @Leechef:  300 miles to Butler County for frozen custard is a stretch, even for me.  But if I'm ever in the area, I'll make a point to check it out.  Maybe in connection with a pilgrimage to the first Handels.  20 flavors of custard is exceptional: Usually it's only vanilla, chocolate and one flavor of the day. 

I recently tried Zwahlen's in Oaks, PA (mentioned above).  It was scooped custard (not soft serve custard).  Rich and heavy with a nice vanilla taste.  The flavor that day was butter brickle but I can't stop thinking about black raspberry custard. 

UPDATE: Square Burger is now open for the season in Franklin Square (Center City), similar in concept to Shake Shack, with burgers, dogs and - yes - custard (instead of ice cream, as in prior years).

Shake Shack is scheduled to open at 20th and Samson, near Rittenhouse Square, sometime this summer (possibly June). 
    [url]www.uwishunu.com/2012/03/shake-shack-construction-officially-underway-near-rittenhouse-square-pop-up-corner-park-unveiled-on-site-with-a-living-green-wall-just-in-time-for-spring/[/url]
    post edited by michaelcarraher - 2012/04/25 14:04:07
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/25 17:22:35 (permalink)
    michaelcarraher
    UPDATE: Square Burger is now open for the season in Franklin Square (Center City), similar in concept to Shake Shack, with burgers, dogs and - yes - custard (instead of ice cream, as in prior years).

Wow. That's big news. The burger I had there last summer was so overcooked that I had pretty much written them off as a place for food. But if they're now serving frozen custard, I'll be a regular. It's not a very long walk from where I live.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/26 11:13:50 (permalink)
    michaelcarraher,
    Hank's is in Beaver County, but it's still quite a hike for frozen custard!!
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/29 19:29:49 (permalink)
    michaelcarraher

I went to Square Burger today to try their custard. The menu mentioned a double dip. So I asked if I could have one vanilla and one chocolate in a cone, meaning one scoop of each. But the person behind the counter responded with something about a vanilla-chocolate swirl. At that point, I knew the ice cream was put directly from the machine into the cone, rather than scooped, like good quality real frozen custard. So I asked for vanilla. I will say, however, that it was very dense for soft serve ice cream. It perhaps falls a little short of Ridgefield Ice Cream in Connecticut, but it's head and shoulders above Dairy Queen and other similar places. I'm sure I'll go back there for more when the mood strikes.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2012/04/30 11:31:39
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/04/30 13:34:23 (permalink)
    Interesting.   The only place I've ever had scooped custard was at Zwahlen's (and they had what looked like soft serve machines in back and I assumed they had put soft custard in a container in the freezer while they cleaned the machines).  According to the USDA, the distinction between ice cream and custard is egg yolks - rather than whether it's hard or soft. 
    Most soft serve (like DQ) seems to have lots of air and sugar, lower butterfat content and certainly no evidence of eggs in the recipe. 

The first time I ever had Frozen Custard (years ago) was at the late, lamented Downingtown Farmers' Market and it was soft but definitely egg custardy.  
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/05/12 12:17:34 (permalink)
    Shake Shack update from Mikey Klein in today's Inky:

Sign of impending Shake Shack

Philly's first Shake Shack - the Danny Meyer-owned, New York-based burger, shake and grown-up beverage bar - is now less than two months away at the corner of 20th and Sansom Streets.
    Meyer's people say the opening will be in "early summer," and I believe that something big will be tied to July 4th.
    Meanwhile, the metal sign went up on the facade, replacing that attractive "green wall" that Meyer commissioned to make the construction site less of an eyesore. 
    Also, Meyer is recruiting staff; he had three days of open calls this week.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/05/14 17:26:56 (permalink)
    You beat me to it, Michael. I was just about to post that story!

It's good news and a pleasant surprise as the initial Shake Shack-to-Philly announcement indicated that it would not open until around the end of the year.
    michaelcarraher
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Frozen Custard Coming to Philly Region 2012/05/27 06:27:06 (permalink)
    Shake Shack in Philly will open June 6th.
    http://www.philly.com/phi...g.html?cmpid=138892859

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1