Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice

Author
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
2008/01/03 09:59:37 (permalink)

Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice

I live in NJ and I am surrounded by small, really good and large variety of Pizza places. I have the chains (Pizza Hut, Dominos) and never order from them. They used to be OK as a pizza substitute but I wouldn't choose one of them over a good pizzeria made pie. Here is my question: My son is getting to the age where after school or with friends he can make himself something to eat, and he keeps asking about frozen pizza. He would like a couple on hand to throw in when friends are over. I have no experience with frozen pre-made pizza and there are a lot of choices. Reading the boxes give no insight to compare. I could use some recommendations, and comparisons. I should just jump in buy one and start comparing, but I though this forum is the place for sound advice. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I had an idea to just freeze the pizzeria slices, but there never seems to be any leftovers to freeze. How does that happen?

27 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 10:22:40 (permalink)
    Your best bet is to order a few pizzas of the smallest size from your favorite place and request them to be undercooked. If you tell them they're for freezing and reheating they'll know what to do. After cooling, put them in freezer bags (I use ZipLocks) and suck the excess air out with a straw. Reheat in a hot oven 450-500 until the right color. I do this with my home-made pies often and they are still better than anything that comes frozen in a box. pb
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 10:44:24 (permalink)
    Porkbeaks is right, however let me throw this in.... We just discovered a frozen pizza my whole family loves (and my family is uber picky).. Freschetta Ristorante style with salami and pesto.. baked on my pizza stone...OMG.. it doesn't get any better than that. Even better, I got a deal on 3 of em for 5 dollars. It might sound impossible to most hardcore roadfooders, but trust me on this one..I'm hard to please pizza-wise... and this is unbelieveably tasty! I got mine at Grocery Outlet, but I hear they are available in the 3-pak at Sam's Club. (the ONLY time you'll hear me tell anyone to go to Sam's Club.) P.S., I like a little more cheese on top, so I grate on a little gouda.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 11:49:52 (permalink)
    I'm fortunate also with many good pizza options in my area.
    I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's in your area but if you do their frozen selection is very good, for a frozen pizza that is.
    Package states that it's imported from Italy if that means anything. I tryed one,at about 3 bucks each I found it to be convient and a good value.
    I keep one on hand for when the urge strikes me and am too lazy to go out for one.
    I found that the better pizza shops don't deliver nor do they have to.
    Chow Jim
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 12:32:36 (permalink)
    A few times we have gotten Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza from Costco and it was tolerable, maybe even a little better than tolerable. I seem to recall it won some sort of published taste test, but I don't remember where I heard or read this.

http://www.homeruninn.com/frozen/

PS: Jennifer 4, where and what is "Grocery Outlet"? Never heard of it and I'm always on the lookout for new places to buy food. Thanks.
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 13:02:08 (permalink)
    Well,I'm not as fortunate as you folks, pizza wise. Living here in southern N.M.ranching country, we're 70 roundtrip miles from a a pizza place(Pizza hut) as well as a grocery store. We have two freezers we work from and a bit of ingenuity comes in handy. We purchase frozen thin crust pizzas, "ready made" to heat and eat.. When in the mood for pizza, here's the plan. Put the pizza stone in the oven and bring up to temp. During or prior, prep the additional toppings we wish to add. Usually goes about like this: shaved fresh onion,garlic, bell pepper, black and/or gr. olives, anchovies, sundried tomatoes, sliced fresh jalapenos,parmesan cheese,red pepper flakes, a little extra sauce if really needed,and other items. NO, we do not add ALL these but we use those we're in the mood for while considering what we have on hand.
    tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 13:14:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Porkbeaks is right, however let me throw this in.... We just discovered a frozen pizza my whole family loves (and my family is uber picky).. Freschetta Ristorante style with salami and pesto.. baked on my pizza stone...OMG.. it doesn't get any better than that. Even better, I got a deal on 3 of em for 5 dollars. It might sound impossible to most hardcore roadfooders, but trust me on this one..I'm hard to please pizza-wise... and this is unbelieveably tasty! I got mine at Grocery Outlet, but I hear they are available in the 3-pak at Sam's Club. (the ONLY time you'll hear me tell anyone to go to Sam's Club.) P.S., I like a little more cheese on top, so I grate on a little gouda.

I see that Freschetta Ristorante is another Schwan company. Seems like they make all the frozen pizza sold in stores.
    http://www.theschwanfoodcompany.com/brands.cfm
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 13:54:11 (permalink)
    You might try asking one of your local favorites if they could make up some pies (unbaked) for you to freeze.

When I lived in Salem, MA I can't remember thename of the place, but they offered their pies frozen, so you cold take them home and bake them when YOU wanted them.

It was a great service, the hours I worked, I was getting off work and there was NOTHING open, so I could come home and throw one of those pies in the hotbox and 15-20 minutes later, hot local pie.
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 14:01:41 (permalink)
    This past Christmas, my husband and I were starving for something that wasn't sugar cookies and fudge. The only place open was the gas station, so we got a Tombstone pizza and took it home and threw it in the oven. This could be sugar-buzz-crash-hunger talking, but it was actually a really good pizza. I was expecting something on the order of gooey cardboard, but it was quite edible. We have any number of really excellent local pizza places in town, so I'm very picky about my pizza. Granted, the crust was nothing too special, and we did put some extra cheese on top, but the sauce was good, not sweet at all, and had some chunks of actual tomato in it. I'd still choose Bazbeaux or Eh Formaggio! over Tombstone any day, but for a frozen pizza--not bad, not bad at all.
    angeltearsmc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 14:45:35 (permalink)
    Freschetta's (or maybe it's DiGiorno's?) whole wheat rising-crust cheese pizza is really good, IMHO.

For an individual one, I really like Lean Cuisine's traditional-style cheese pizza. Not too shabby for something you throw in the microwave!
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 14:52:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

A few times we have gotten Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza from Costco and it was tolerable, maybe even a little better than tolerable. I seem to recall it won some sort of published taste test, but I don't remember where I heard or read this.

http://www.homeruninn.com/frozen/

PS: Jennifer 4, where and what is "Grocery Outlet"? Never heard of it and I'm always on the lookout for new places to buy food. Thanks.

Grocery Outlets are a chain of stores in California that sell "bargain" groceries.. a mix of overstock, test marketing, and brands normally sold in other parts of the country or overseas. They have produce, frozen, bakery items, canned goods, and non-food items, just no fresh meat. They have some pretty good deals on bread, deli, and frozen items... some things are in stock constantly and some things you have to snap up before they're gone..The best deal I've gotten was on the Freschetta brand boboli type bread shell...2 pak for 99 cents.. they also sold the pepperoni and sauce to go with it ..also 99 cents.. Not every single thing is a great deal, but 99 percent of it is cheaper than in the large grocery stores.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 16:23:40 (permalink)
    <<Grocery Outlets are a chain of stores in California that sell "bargain" groceries>>

Oh, OK, thanks. For some reason I thought you were in New Jersey, but I guess I was still thinking of the first post in this thread. Thanks anyway. --Ken
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 16:45:32 (permalink)
    Here is an historical treatise on frozen pizza and the issues involved in creating a crust that doesn't taste like cardboard.

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/2005/3/2005_3_12.shtml

DiGiorno rising crust pizza is probably the top rated frozen pizza if you go by RateItAll.com. Without a functioning kitchen right now we have been sampling all kinds of frozen pizzas. They are about the least messy thing to eat without having to do extensive cleanup. But I can't wait to get back to making my own.

Back in 1962 I worked for a pizza shop that had a trailer with a large pizza oven. We worked auto races in and around Indianapolis. On a hot summer afternoon no one bought pizzas during the race but as the fans came streaming out of the track at the end they all wanted a take home pizza. So we made them up in advance ready to serve and sold them as fast as we could. What we didn't sell was going to be thrown out so I took them home and stuck them in our freezer. Turned out reheated pizza back then wasn't all that bad.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 17:35:42 (permalink)
    I'll vote for Freschetta. I think the crust & sauce is better than DiGiorno.

Another thought is the Boboli pizza crust & the kids can make their own, with fresh ingredients.

I have also found a frozen ball of pizza dough in the freezer section of Kroger, Meijer, etc., near the frozen bread & yeast roll dough. It is surprisingly good. Sorry, cannot recall the brand name.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 17:39:38 (permalink)
    Oh for heavens sakes, they are children, they don’t care. Get what ever is on sale 3 for whatever.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 17:48:03 (permalink)
    I live at least 50 miles from a non-chain pizza restaurant.
    During the lean and in between times it's Tombstone - I get the plain cheese and if I want extra toppings I go for it. But usually all I want to top the cheese is good seasonings, olive oil and basil with black pepper and red pepper flakes when it comes out of the oven.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 18:31:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Oh for heavens sakes, they are children, they don’t care. Get what ever is on sale 3 for whatever.

You are right.

Kids will eat just about any kind of pizza.

My kids ate a lot of pizza rolls.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/03 19:57:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

You are right.

Confession Time:

Hi, my name is CajunKing, I like Red Baron classic crust 4 meat pizza, and totinos pizza rolls

stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 00:05:48 (permalink)
    I have to agree, teenage boys can put away a LOT of pizza, they aren't going to care what kind it is. Tombstone tastes ok & is usually on sale. They're made not far from here.

When I buy it, I get Home Run Inn, it's plum tomato with cheese. I then sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes. YUM.

I used to like DiGiorno Spinach Garlic Mushroom, but then discovered they used hydrogenated oil. Can't do that anymore.
    JakerDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 08:27:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

You are right.

This is true, but I have selfish reasons also. He and I have late nights watching movie's so I'll benefit from him making pizza also. I would like one that doesn't taste like bad cheese covered cardboard, but again I really have no experiance with them. I have written down your suggestions and will try a few. Thanks.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 08:44:10 (permalink)
    In our locale- Red Baron rising crust pizzas are available- we buy the 4 cheese variety. They tend to go on sale about every other month. We add our own toppings- a drizzle of olive oil,some oregano, a little hamburger meat,onions, maybe some sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, sliced tomatoes and of course, some extra cheese- not too bad in a pinch!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 08:57:12 (permalink)
    JakerDog,
    You might want to try that old New Jersey classic, Tree Tavern Pizza. All the major New Jersey supermarket chains carry it.

Budget brands of frozen pizza have cheapened their formulas so many times I don't buy them anymore. A manufacturer in Flushing, Queens still makes a line of frozen pizzas with real cheese. They sell under their own name and private label for many supermarkets.
    http://www.betzios.com/ourproducts.html
    http://www.betzios.com/privatelabelproducts.html
    Jennifer_4
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 14:20:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ken8038

<<Grocery Outlets are a chain of stores in California that sell "bargain" groceries>>

Oh, OK, thanks. For some reason I thought you were in New Jersey, but I guess I was still thinking of the first post in this thread. Thanks anyway. --Ken

Ken, If I were in New Jersey, I could get decent hot dogs and Italian food.. as well as being that much closer to real pizza...
    Sadly I'm here in Cali..where real pizza seems to be an impossible dream
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/04 15:53:18 (permalink)
    DiGiorno frozen pizza is good, make sure they are microwavable.
    Or, look for pizza in the individual like a rectangular cut sicilian style to micro quickly. Read the box, make sure its microwaveable or get him used to eating pizza rolls.

I don't know how old your child is, but the tween kids in my house are not allowed to turn on the oven nor the toaster oven when an adult is not home. If an adult is home, DiGiorno frozen is great in the oven.

I make my own pizza every Wed, they have enough leftovers for Thurs and Fri in the fridge.

adm22
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/05 22:32:54 (permalink)
    There is a local brand of frozen Pizza in the Quad Cities IA/Il, not sold anywhere outside the metro QC. It is called Mama Boso and all the pizzas are handmade. when buying them I go through all of them in the freezer, since some will have retareded crusts that have been flipped over the side of the cardboard!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/05 22:52:26 (permalink)
    I find Freschetta among the worst of frozen pizzas, right in line with Tonys.. Actually the vast majority in the freezer section are in the running for being #1 worst. Tombstone used to be my favorite, but they screwed up the sauce that really used to make the pizza. Then before that, I used to favor Red Baron, but if the toppings became any thinner, you'd see the pizza screen before you even bake it. My advice would be sample a few, and learn the art of doctoring them up. (Adding fine chopped onions, green pepper, pepperoni, sausage, cheese or whatever your tastes prefer). In the long run, you'd be better off making your own and freezing them, or giving your kid a prepaid card to one of the local pizza joints.
    With the above said, I'll spend a buck on one of Jenos Party Pizzas. Good for one. Flakey crust that will trash your oven and rack, but for the money you cant really go wrong. (One of those you get what you pay for deals).. That and it only takes like 8 minutes to cook..

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/06 08:09:29 (permalink)
    DiGiorno Ultimate is fairly new.. and pretty good for frozen. Supposedly imported italian cheeses, a new thin style rising type crust, it is better than much of the pizza I can get in Richmond... and certainly much better than what I can get out here 15 miles from the nearest traffic light...

However at about 8 bucks a pie, I usually feed the kids something cheaper
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Frozen Pre-Made Pizza Advice 2008/01/13 10:15:51 (permalink)
    Here's a tip...check the ingredients on the box...if there is sugar in the sauce....stay away..that's what ruins any pizza...for starters.
    leethebard
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1