Frozen Tamale Source

Author
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
2008/03/31 11:35:43 (permalink)

Frozen Tamale Source

Hi all; in the midwest I grew up on frozen tamales found in just about any supermarket that were rolled in tubes with a "paper skin" wrapping. They were similar to the type found in Chicago that you get from many street vendors. Here in FL i've only been able to find frozen ones under the Goya brand which are more cuban in style. Anyone know where I might find the tamales of my youth?

21 Replies Related Threads

Sgt. Schlitz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/19 14:38:58 (permalink)
    I'm looking for the same thing. Any ideas?
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/19 15:16:12 (permalink)
    There is a thread w/ some good suggestions here somewhere. I would like to try the Goya Cuban kind but those are hard to find here in north Texas.
    Joe
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/19 15:34:37 (permalink)
    http://www.tamale.com/shopping/home.php

The link above is for Pedro's Tamales. I cannot vouch for their products, as I've never tried them.
    Good luck.
    Ron
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/19 17:37:23 (permalink)
    I know it sounds strange, but Target's brand of food has some good, authentic style frozen beef tamales. No diversity of flavor, but my mother and I really liked them. They come wrapped in corn husks and you have to steam them. Found in the frozen food aisle of Targets throughout the country.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/20 10:26:34 (permalink)
    Navy, good suggestion! I wonder if Target sells them everywhere? Hmm, is there a Target everywhere?

Any of the frozen store bought tamales I have tried were pretty good.

Pedro's... They are popular here in Texas. There is usually a line at their booth at the State Fair of Texas. I can't tell much difference between them and the store bought frozen tamales.
    Joe
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/20 11:16:03 (permalink)
    http://texastamale.com/

This place was featured on "Road Tasted"
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/20 11:26:23 (permalink)
    For those who are fortunate enough to have a Trader Joe's nearby, good frozen tamales can be purchased there. They have chicken, green chile/cheese, and I think maybe pork and beef. I've only bought the chicken and chile/cheese and they are good.

And then there are those who may be fortunate as we and have good neighbors from whom we can order homemade tamales which are the real thing and truly delicious. We order them two dozen at a time, about 3 times a year from Maria and hope these neighbors never move as they are dear people who own their tortilla factory here in Columbus, and who couldn't be better neighbors.

Donna
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/22 21:30:19 (permalink)
    Originally posted July, 2006. I haven't made them in about a year (for some reason I seem to make them when it's really.damn.hot outside instead of during the winter like sensible people do) but the basic idea stands:

Forget about ordering them, bite the bullet and make them. After many years of feeling I was simply not up to it, I learned that it's not hard, just time-consuming. I made my first batch about three weeks ago, and they were so good (like, as good as the ones we buy locally during the Christmas season here in west Texas) that I followed them with another batch a week later, and might make more again this weekend. If you can't find husks or masa preparada (not the pre-mixed stuff, but the "kind of like cornmeal" bag) locally, I'm sure mexgrocer.com will help you out.

I roughly followed the directions found here: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Cook_Tamale_Meat.htm

BUT, I spiced my meat differently, and used only pork the first time. (I used "boneless country ribs" with fantastic success.) I cooked the pork with a quartered onion, chilled it and shredded it the next day, and for seasoning;

Seed and remove most of the membranes from about 20-30 red chili peppers (chile japones or chili de arbol- the little bright red ones, about an inch and a half long and very hot - best to use gloves while you're deseeding!) and saute in about 1/4c of oil until the scent rises. Blend with a bit of broth or water until smooth - about 1/2 or 2/3c of broth, maybe. Pour over the shredded meat and warm through. This was irresistible - bright and hot on the tongue, quickly mellowing to a completely painless finish. By the time I reached for a drink after sampling the spice had cooled on my tongue. But of course, be your own judge. (My kids dumped sour cream on their tamales, deciding they were too spicy.)

I used lard in my masa and probably always will, but I'm sure shortening would work alright. Oh, and a friend told me to use a folded bath towel as a cover for my pot while steaming, that it'd let out just enough steam.

They were addictive, and a lot of fun to make, honestly.

We had quite a bit of leftover meat, which I froze and mixed with some shredded chicken in the next batch. Both batches were good - next time I'll try some sort of beef, but the seasoning will definitely remain the same.

The only real trick was keeping the masa at a good working consistency - it was extremely dry here the 2nd time I made them, and I had to periodically add a bit more broth to the mix to keep it workable. Next time I might mix a bit of the chili liquid in the masa for color, but I'm not sure. Oh, and don't spread the masa too thich - which is, granted, easier said than done, but it's also easier done than I thought it'd be!
    gwilliams99
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/26 20:22:49 (permalink)
    Big Kahuna,
    I have a feeling that the tamales you remember from your youth were not like Mexican tamales.
    You might find this website of interest http://www.tamaletrail.com/

The primary difference is a lot of the Chicago style tamales are made from corn meal rather than masa. They are also simmered in spiced water/broth rather than being steamed like the Mexican tamales.

The tamale trail website is a good place to start if you want to learn more about Delta style tamales.

Regards.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/06/27 20:05:27 (permalink)
    I totally recommend tamales from Leona's from Chimayo, New Mexico (right next to the famous shrine). Local red and green chile available. This is "the" place.

http://www.leonasrestaurante.com/products.htm
    http://www.leonasrestaurante.com/tortillas.htm

They also sell and ship chiles ( red & green), salsa, ristras, sopapilla mix, biscochito mix, blue corn posole, blue corn popcorn, atole, chicos, whatever NM foods.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/07/25 10:23:52 (permalink)
    GW99...thanks for the website. I think you'e right. I also saw this on Asphalt Road-Alton Brown. the texture i remeber was that the outside was firm and the inside was kinda gummy. But you could tell that they were mass produced and not hand rolled. Again Mahalo everyone for the tips. BKK
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/07/25 10:40:29 (permalink)
    You might also check out Delicious Tamales here in San Antonio,they might ship tamales, and there are acouple of others,like Rudy's Tamales.Don't know how much they charge to ship though.
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2008/08/30 09:21:10 (permalink)
    Good call Holly - they are at[url='http://www.delicioustamales.com/store/pages.php?pageid=6']Delicious Tamales[/url]. I've never ordered them, but they seem to pack them right - foam box and ice packs. I get them locally regularly, as there is a location not far from work. Highly recommended and as the name says, delicious. All hand mane, all year. Good luck trying to get some around Christmas, that's high tamale time in Texas!

I'll travel from Bandera into San Antonio to get 'em if I run out.
    raindovewmn41
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Frozen Tamale Source 2009/03/18 20:15:17 (permalink)
    Big Kahuna Kooks

Hi all; in the midwest I grew up on frozen tamales found in just about any supermarket that were rolled in tubes with a "paper skin" wrapping. They were similar to the type found in Chicago that you get from many street vendors. Here in FL i've only been able to find frozen ones under the Goya brand which are more cuban in style. Anyone know where I might find the tamales of my youth?

arts has a tamale that sounds very much like this
    raindovewmn41
    Junior Burger
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/03/18 20:17:31 (permalink)
    Sgt. Schlitz

I'm looking for the same thing. Any ideas?

try arts tamales
    raindovewmn41
    Junior Burger
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/03/18 20:21:20 (permalink)
    arts tamaleshttp://artstamales.com/
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/12/03 13:00:43 (permalink)
    I finally found the ones I was looking for...they are Supreme from Chicago. You can buy them in 10 paks frozen. I found them at a FTL hot dog eaterie Hot Dog Heaven on Sunrise. THey sell them frozen by the bag. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. bkk
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/12/03 17:57:03 (permalink)
    Big Kahuna Kooks, I know you said you've found them, and "these aren't tamales (droids) you are looking for"...but Trader Joe's has really good ones:
    http://heateatreview.com/...-cheese-chile-tamales/

EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/12/03 18:00:40 (permalink)
    Oops....I guess you don't have them:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76912491068

Apparently this is the closest one.

Maybe dogmeat can bring you back some.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/12/04 08:48:06 (permalink)
    Eating; Yeah we don't have Trader Joes in this neck of the woods. Every year my sister in law sends us a bag of Trader Joe stuff from CA. By the way these tamales are not the fat succulent ones normally found in stores o9r specialty shops...these are the type found in Chicago that are sold by street vendors. Gourmet they aint...just a blast from my past.
    bkk
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Frozen Tamale Source 2009/12/04 09:36:54 (permalink)
    http://www.lacrawfish.com/

Order Zwolle Tamales from here. i haven't ordered from there yet but have eaten many Zwolle's Tamales from when my mom lived in Shreveport LA. These are un-sauced frozen tamales but some of the best I ever had. this site also sells Nacidoches Meat Pies which are also excellent.

I remember eating canned tamales when i was a kid, maybe Old El Paso but i can't find them any more. they were probably terrible but id like to try them again.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1