Fruit on the street

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/05/31 14:20:31 (permalink)

Fruit on the street

Walking in Manhattan today I realized how common it is to have mobile "fruit stands" on the corner, many in midtown or where office workers congregate. They are usually now run by men from India who sem to take pride in their product of fresh fruit that most people buy to take home. The guy nearest my home in Greenwich Village lovingly spritzes his fruit every few minutes to keep it fresh. I also realized that, while they may have nuts,they don't sell vegetables or other foods. I know Baltimore has this tradition but I wondered about other cities?

5 Replies Related Threads

Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Fruit on the street 2007/05/31 22:47:06 (permalink)
    Funny you brought this up, we were in Philadelphia this past weekend and found a fruit stand down the block from the Liberty Bell. I got a fairly large fresh fruit salad and a large whole banana for only three dollars. They also sold smoothies but I didn't buy one. (Regular sodas too.) The woman was Asian and very pleasant, and everything looked and tasted very high-quality and fresh.

You mentioned Baltimore, is there a stand near Camden Yards? I haven't seen one but would happily patronize it if I did.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Fruit on the street 2007/06/01 00:32:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comment. In Baltimore I think the fruit vendors were called "Arabers" . Every year at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, they have a few who sell watermelon and also citrus fruit (organge? lemon?) with a peppermint stick to suck out the juices.

In NYC however, these fruit carts do not sell fruit salads or juices or smoothies. They are basically just frech whole fruits (mangoes, berries, melons, apples, oranges, apricots, etc.) same as in the grocery store. The vendor stands next to the piles of fruit and sells it by the pound.
    Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Fruit on the street 2007/06/02 21:49:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like an easy way to eat healthy -- pick some up to take home without having to go to the grocery store!

The vendor in Philadelphia was selling fresh fruit, fruit salad, and smoothies from a cart, like hot dog vendors use. I would LOVE to see this idea catch on in DC.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5418
    RE: Fruit on the street 2007/06/03 09:04:07 (permalink)
    The fresh fruit ready to eat is very popular in Mexico. I'd love to see that catch on here in the States.

MikeS.
    Fajuea
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Fruit on the street 2007/06/03 17:19:20 (permalink)
    Try looking in California. There seems to be a few in pretty much every city here.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1