Frying Temp?

Author
Brian Briggs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2012/05/27 08:41:25 (permalink)

Frying Temp?

Well I bought a commercial fryer to cook my BBQ Eggrolls (brisket or pulled pork, coleslaw and bbq sauce). So far I have been making them in advance, freezing, vacuum sealing and back to the freezer. Then I cook them for 4 1/2 minutes at 350. There seems to be a little grease inside of them. Would cooking at 375 fix the problem?

I plan to add fresh cut fries (not sure if they will be straight or ribbon cut yet). Any suggestions on fresh fries? What temp to cook them?

What is the best temp to fry at?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

10 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 08:57:14 (permalink)
    Well from your description of what your frying the fat is coming from the filling, and to be expected.  The time depends on the thickness of the rolls, impossible to tell you a time.  350f is a good temp for filled egg roll wrappers, but the time seems very long to me.  Many questions, like whats the size of your fryer and its recovery time, how large a load are you putting in the fryer.  Start by making sure your fryer is at temp and make sure you use a small load in the basket, pull one after 2 min, 3 min, etc.  You need to test until you find the proper load size for your fryer and the temp you've selected.
    If you still think its from the fryer oil fill some wrappers with only veg, like bean sprouts and see what the results are.
    There must be 10,000 or more hits on doing fresh fries, so do a bit of searching, and testing on your own with your equipment too many variables to just pop out an answer
    post edited by RodBangkok - 2012/05/27 09:10:33
    Brian Briggs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 09:13:14 (permalink)
    It's a Pitco Frialator. The tag inside is hard to read but it looks like it is a 35lb, 90,000 btu. I have been doin 4-6 at a time is all and my temp is staying steady (have not had a need to do more than that).
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 09:22:46 (permalink)
    Then with that capacity on your fryer I'd look at the fat content of the fillings, most likely what your putting in the wrappers in rendering out and causing the excess fat.  Try a veg only filling when you have time, that will also help you narrow it down, but I'd bet your filling has a high fat content.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 10:48:27 (permalink)
    If your cooking your brisket and pork until fall apart tender there shouldn't be a lot of fat left in it. Are you sure it's fat or is the deep frying process, thawing and heat thinning the juice from the Cole Slaw, and your BBQ sauce. Try building a few with nothing but meat, nothing else not even sauce and deep fry them. Build some with meat and sauce did you get the appearance of fat inside? Break it down to one step at a time to find your problem. If so you know what your problem is.

If your not holding them (in the freezer) for a long time, I wouldn't bother with the vacuum sealing.

On your fresh cut fries there are a ton of excellent post here on RF on that topic, you may have to sift through them but there reply's from guys that are currently selling them from trailers and trucks that answered in step by step how to's.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 11:14:33 (permalink)
    I know with a traditional egg roll one of reasons it would pick up grease inside is because it is not wrapped tight.

You can try to thicken up or drain the coleslaw as much as you can (if that does not compromise the flavor) or go a little lighter on the sauce in the roll. Get the tightest wrap you can.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 11:24:04 (permalink)
    375. to just under 400. is a must to krisp up outer shell quicker and stop the grease from soaking up. make sure fryers are at temp (use a candy therm or infared thermometer). thats why frys get greasy ie lower temps 'boil' the product rather than krisp. everything is precooked so youre just frying the wrap so it shouldnt take long.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 22:40:19 (permalink)
    What kind of oil are you using? Peanut oil should work best.
    Brian Briggs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/27 23:49:11 (permalink)
    I forget , I know it is not peanut oil with the scare of the allergies. I bought "fry oil" from Restaurant Depot.
    kirkharrod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/29 10:15:30 (permalink)
    A few things about egg rolls ( I sell a lot of egg rolls):

-ALL the liquid must be removed from the filling or it will cause holes in the wrapper and you will get grease in.  Chinese restaurants have centrifuges to spin out liquid.  You can try a salad spinner

-Refrigerate your par-cooked egg rolls, don't freeze.

-Obviously, they must be wrapped tightly with no leaks.

If your egg roll has no liquid and is wrapped correctly, you can even put the egg roll in the fryer at a too low oil temperature and as the temp comes up, it will not take up grease. 
    If you have the oil too hot (over 400*), you will burn the wrapper.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Frying Temp? 2012/05/29 14:12:29 (permalink)
    Not all fry oils can take a higher temp. Some will burn out quicker at higher temps. Most of the stuff we cooked last year did fine at 350 with Melfry but never tried eggrolls.

Be sure to check your internal temp of the cooked eggrolls - be food safe.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1