Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa.

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
2011/05/24 17:11:48 (permalink)

Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa.

I had a really  fun eating weekend.  It started off on  Friday for an early lunch at  The Pioneer Pit Beef.  This is  about 15 miles from where  I live and located just off Rolling Hill Road in Catonsville, MD.  Pioneer Pit Beef  serves the very best pit beef in whole area. It is always so tender that it melts in your mough and  you can get it  anyway that you would like.  I ordered my sandwich ,  rare with  Tiger sauce  (a creamy horseradish).  You have your choice of many condiments.  There is no seating  inside, just a  counter and it is "cash only".

It was a lovely day so I took my sandwich and sat at one of the three picnic tables.  When I arrived , there were just a very few people in line  but  while I was eating, I counted a line of at least 40 waiting in line.  No one minds as the line moves so quickly.

Later that afternoon, my son, grandson, and I left for Carlisle, Pa.  My grandson was taking part in a team duels  wrestling tournament starting early the next morning.  After hotel check-in, we  drove into  downtown Carlise and had dinner  at Cafe Bruges.  I  love moules frites so  was really excited to be going to a Belgium restaurant.  The restaurant  was  very busy and loud and noisy (in a fun way) and we went to the bar to look at their beer list and  wait ten minutes for  our table.  I never have seen such a  huge beer list in my life!

Soon we were seated and had a delicious meal.  I chose the moules frites .  The mussels were fantastic; the fries  not quite as good as the ones at the Belgium restaurant  that we go to  at home.  However ,  they were served beautifully in a large paper cone which was sitting in a  spiral metal ware container......really  attractive.

My son ordered steak frites and said that the steak was cooked perfectly and he loved the beet salad that he ordered.  My grandson order cheese croquettes as an appetizer and for his  entree,  a hamburger.  He said that the hamburger was great but he was not happy with the croquettes.  He had expected them to taste like  fried mozzarella sticks.  I noticed that  quite a few people were having hamburgers so they must be excellent there.  

http://www.cafebruges.com/

The next day we were up and out early for the wrestling tournament.  My grandson's  team was finished by  1 PM.  (his team finished in 2nd place.)  We headed home and decided on lunch at this little Chinese restaurant in Littlestown, Pa.  We have passed by this restaurant many times and have never felt like we wanted to eat there.  But a year ago, we noticed that they had a  sign up which  read Chinese and Pacific Cuisine and decided to stop.  The  place  looks very small on the outside and  sort of non de script so we were really surprised when we got inside  and saw that it was quite large and very attractive.

The service was good and the food was just outstanding!  We cannot wait to go back there.  My  grandson ordered  steamed dumplings and for his entree, he chose beef and broccoli.  (He went Chine all the way.)  My son and I had  the Tom Yum  Gong  soup for two.  It was actually enough for four people, served steaming hot and was incredible.  It was spicy hot and  nice sour lemongrass taste.  I loved it. For my entree I  decided on Pad Thai and it was as good as any that I have ever had.  My son had the House special Mei Fun which is another noodle dish and it was excellent.  I don't remember the last time that I had a meal out where every single item ordered was "piping hot" off the  stove. The meal was excellent and the bill , with one  beverage lots of refills)  came to about $30.00.........it was a real bargain and a great find.  We cannot wait to go back.

http://www.empress-garden.com/

4 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    Re:Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa. 2011/05/25 12:12:19 (permalink)
    What fun treasures to find!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa. 2011/05/25 12:52:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nice report Greymo!  That does sound like quite the eating weekend.  Who would have expected to find such good Pan Asian in a little town like that?  Can you believe that in all the years I have been going to the Baltimore area, I have never once had pit beef?  Sounds like my first experience should be at The Pioneer Pit Beef.

Oh, and congratulations to your grandson for his team finishing second. 
    kungpow12
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa. 2011/05/27 14:13:37 (permalink)
    Nice short report.

I will def. be trying Pioneer Pit Beef one weekend soon. I've eaten at Chap's many times and am a fan. But I keep an open mind when it comes to these things and Pioneer sounds good.

Chap's is pretty good and their menu is much larger than Pioneer's from the sounds of it. I usually go for The Raven myself (pit beef, corned beef and smoked turkey on a sub roll with choice of cheese) with Tiger sauce, but my wife keeps it simple and goes for the regular pit beef sandwich.

For reference, Chap's is featured in The Wire in Season 1 when D'Angelo, Stringer, Wee-Bey and Stinkum eat lunch there and talk about The Game right before Stinkum gets got.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1598
    Re:Fun Roadfood weekend in Baltimore and Pa. 2011/05/30 18:15:01 (permalink)
    By coincidence I ate at Chaps for the first time just last weekend on the way back from visiting friends in Virginia. I was somewhat dissapointed. I ordered it medium. It was OK, but a little dry and not as flavorful as I had hoped it would be.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to the French Dip style of hot roast beef and this was different. It certainly wins it's share of awards.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1