Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/27 18:11:20 (permalink)
I think next week the Fried Pie Lady (Junior Burger) will be making killer Funnel Cakes. While I'm here I always thought Funnel Cakes should be long and shaped like a Lincoln Log. Lincoln Logs god that shows you how old I am. If they had that shape you could just pick one up and eat it instead of breaking off chunks. Trying to think of something different in case no one knows what a Lincoln Log is.LOL

Just did a search they still make them, but now they are expensive geez.

holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/27 20:21:36 (permalink)
Gold medal is a good mix. I'm thinking it's to thin and maybe your flipping it to soon. You'll figure it out.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/27 21:31:58 (permalink)
Gold Medal has a new mold to make funnel cake "swirls""sticks" or they could easily be called "Fun-L-Logs"

http://www.youtube.com/embed/oce4lGf96jQ?rel=0
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/27 21:47:31
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2022
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/27 22:00:15 (permalink)
You just need to play around with the batter. Only you will know when it's right.
If you have lots of "chaff"...then your batter is too thin.

I do beer battered onion rings, and can have the same issue, batter too thin, or too thick no good. Have to adjust flour/liquid every batch to get it just right. After a while you will know when it's "right"
This picture is after about 150 hand dipped rings.....notice very little chaff.

Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/28 11:50:15 (permalink)
Yeah, I see that! Okay, so my batter needs to be thicker. That's going to make it more challenging to pour, I think. And thanks for the support, y'all! I won't give up. This can't be that difficult! Kids with MP3s in one ear and a cell phone on the other manage to do this all summer! I did think about those "log" things but decided that I would see how these went over first. And I didn't sell that many of them, which was disheartening anyway. I was very busy last week but it was all fried pies. 
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/28 12:12:21 (permalink)
Fried Pie Lady,
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but here goes.

I don't bake normally bake, but have used pie crust from the store to make a Mexican pie or two and they were a big hit with friends.
Can I use a store bought  pie shell and cut it in half fill it with smoked pork add a little sauce fold and crimp and bake it?

Or would I be better off putting the pie shell into a small foil pan, (like pot pie)  and then add the goodies with a crust over the top? If this ends up being a ton of work I'll only do it once we are very busy as is. LOL

Is anyone doing this?
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/29 00:47:26 (permalink)
Well, I always use homemade pie crust, which I roll out then cut into a 7" circle (I use the lid of a plastic pitcher - it's easy to hold and sharp enough). I fill mine with homemade pie filling and then fry it in peanut oil. If I were to bake them, I'd likely do the same thing. So let's see. If I were using store-bought pie shells, I'd still have to roll them out and cut them smaller, so I'd probably use the same top of a pitcher or something similar. Then you could either use an empanada press, like I do (here's one at Amazon: ) and put the filling in the center then bake it or use tart pans. Honestly, it's easier to use the press. Put a little egg wash around the edges before you crimp it in order to seal it.

I wanted to work on my recipes (particularly my dough recipe) so when I first started out I was a lunch wagon at a local plant and I put a bunch of things in the pies - bbq beef, chicken-bacon-ranch, meatballs in marinara, taco meat and cheese and, in the mornings, scrambled eggs and cheese. They went over very well and I think they'd be good for you too. I now only use fruit filling because that's what sold best. You could keep them warm in a small oven.

To be honest, the hardest part for you would likely be the dough. After all, you'd be buying something that's already made into a 9" circle and you're having to re-roll it and re-cut it into something smaller. My dough is special because I fry them and you can't use just pre-made dough or it falls apart in the oil. You have to have some kind of protein (like evap. milk or buttermilk or egg-and-vinegar) to bind with the flour. But if you're baking them you should be able to just use regular pie crust.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/05/29 01:08:06 (permalink)
Goya is a local company based a few miles away (so the entire line is carried here) and they make ready to go frozen empanada discs that can be baked or fried. Don't know if they are available everywhere...

http://www.goya.com/engli...ry/Frozen-Foods/Discos
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/29 01:09:32
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/01 20:34:35 (permalink)
Yippee!  I did it! I made the perfect funnel cake without any "crunchies" or having it fall apart or anything and it tasted wonderful! I know funnel cakes were easy for everyone else and that it seems like a silly thing to celebrate but it was a major issue for me and I'm thrilled that I solved it. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's advice and help.
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/01 20:42:53 (permalink)
Cool. The directions on the Gold Medal bags are way off as far as how much water to use. I can't believe they haven't figured that out.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 01:08:37 (permalink)
Fried Pie Lady Yippee!  I did it! I made the perfect funnel cake without any "crunchies" or having it fall apart or anything and it tasted wonderful! I know funnel cakes were easy for everyone else and that it seems like a silly thing to celebrate but it was a major issue for me and I'm thrilled that I solved it. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's advice and help.

Good for you. Now you can teach someone else if you have employees to do it the right way. The funny thing about that is anyone you share your newly gained knowledge with will not appreciate the time, trials and tribulation you went through to earn and learn. I try to teach about smoking meat and all anyone wants to know is "how many hours at what temp"? But there is much more to it than that. 
Good luck
jack
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 10:20:06 (permalink)
I understand what you mean, Jack. Most of us on this site have a passion for what we do - and it shows. Why else would we essentially hang around after work to help the others? LOL! And although I don't have employees, I've worked in other positions where I tried to get people to be enthusiastic and understand the chemistry, history, techniques and/or efficiency of various tasks but they had no interest. They just wanted to do their job with the minimal effort required and goof off. Frustrating. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 10:24:51 (permalink)
Excellent Fried Pie Lady!

Don't feel bad. I can't (or won't) make pancakes very well. I have to turn on the charm...when I am in the mood for them

I have a fried pie question. Can you fry a pie with a cream base...without expecting big trouble?
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 10:48:47 (permalink)
CCinNJ
I have a fried pie question. Can you fry a pie with a cream base...without expecting big trouble?

Why shouldn't you be able to fry a pie with a cream base?  The fried fruit pies have a thickened liquid juice center with the fruit.  I don't see much difference in the liquidity (that has to be a word) of the fillings.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 11:34:39 (permalink)
I hope it's possible. I would love to try it. I notice (through research not experience) that many recipes call for a fruit or a fruit paired with cream cheese. A few establishments carry cream pies...but many don't. I just wonder if there are any techniques to a cream pie vs. a fruit only pie....before I decide to get to gettin'.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 13:56:07 (permalink)
Here is a recipe for a Chocolate Fried Pie where, in the review below it, Becky from Georgia added a tablespoon of cream cheese to the chocolate mixture:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1813,147180-250192,00.html
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 14:06:42 (permalink)
Here is also an interesting comment on Facebook, if you are on Facebook. (I am not.)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-want-to-eat-Deep-Fried-Sugar-Cream-Pie-at-the-Indiana-State-Fair/123698027660329
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 14:25:08 (permalink)
I would love the sugar pie version as a traditional fried pie. I found this and it looks like the vendor battered an existing cream pie and fried....or tried.

http://www.winchesternews...c116d37fc404748070.txt

The only experience I have is with the commercial versions where the filling seems like a pudding base. I want luscious luxurious creamy ...without any danger or disaster. Lol
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/03 14:27:06
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 14:37:38 (permalink)
Well, you can always try a sample some day when you feel adventerous!  The worst you can do is come up with something inedible, as long as you are careful and don't splatter grease all over yourself when you put the future fried pie in the hot oil.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 14:45:25 (permalink)
I have a recipe for liquid cheesecake that might work really well (it's not pudding but has a texture that is close enough with the luscious and luxurious texture). I don't like pie crusts...so I guess it is worth a shot in a fried pie. If all else fails...I can fill cannoli shells.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 16:41:50 (permalink)
Here you go!  Now all you have to do is get their recipe!
http://www.theoriginalfriedpieshop.com/index.html

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/03 17:25:04 (permalink)
Since 1893! Haven't made it anywhere close to NJ. For a $25,000 fee someone would do well with a shop like that here.

Those pies look good...

http://m.holmfamilycookbo...fb_sig_network=fw#2313

http://blogs.dallasobserv...inal_fried_pie_sho.php

Buttermilk crust. Hmmm...

I know vodka is a crust trick...but I don't know about frying. I hear sirens in the distance when I think about that.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/03 17:40:48
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/04 11:58:15 (permalink)
Sorry I wasn't able to respond right away to your question, CCinNJ. A big storm knocked out our internet. Anyway, the answer to your question is a bit complex. If you try to fill a fried pie with a filling containing both eggs and milk, as in a traditional homemade pudding, the filling will "break" or curdle. It'll still taste okay but visually it's pretty nasty. The fried sugar cream pies don't have eggs. If you want to have a pudding fried pie, you might be able to use commercial pudding (something that has chemical stabilizers in it). I've tried selling apricot cream cheese fried pies and they were okay but again the consistency suffered. I sell chocolate fried pies but the recipe is butter, cocoa and powdered sugar, melted and mixed well, with milk and vanilla then mixed in. It gets rave reviews. Because of the butter, it's very thin when it's hot but it thickens as it cools.

I don't use commercial pudding. In fact, the only commercial filling I use is cherry and that only because I can't find good sour cherries. Nevertheless, I drive 120 miles every other month just to pick up the best cherry filling I can find. Since I live in a sparsely populated area and my only advertisement is word-of-mouth, every single pie that I sell has to be really good. For every person who buys a pie and thinks it's wonderful, they may tell 2 or 3 people. But every person who gets a blah or icky pie - they'll tell everyone they know. That's one of the reasons why I was stressing about the funnel cakes. If they're not perfect at an event, it's no big thing but if I try to sell them to my neighbors, they'll tell a bunch of people that they're not worth buying.

So - the secret to a fried pie crust is that you have to have a protein binder to keep it from falling apart when it's put in the hot oil. (Good bakers are chemists without a degree. LOL!) You can use buttermilk, egg-and-vinegar or evaporated milk (which is what I use). If you're baking the pies, it doesn't matter. I worked for about three months to get a fried pie dough recipe that 1) was really tasty - important because most of the volume of the pie is the dough so it better taste good, 2) would hold together from the first bite to the last so people could walk around an event eating it from a bag and 3) be light and flaky.

The pie isn't in the oil long enough to cook the filling, just the dough. So if the cheesecake filling you're thinking of needs to be cooked, you might have to make adjustments. And 6Star is right - you won't know until you give it a shot. Anyway, I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to PM me if you have any others. And, of course, I'll be checking out this thread too.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/04 12:14:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the help Fried Pie Lady! It's so nice to have a resident pie expert here!! I can count on one hand the times in my life I made any pie (not pizza) by myself and have a digit or two left over. I smiled my way through baking classes.

I will go find the recipe for the liquid cheesecake and see what you think.

Hope you are ok after the storm.
lornaschinske
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/04 12:29:57 (permalink)
just curious (or what David calls "a dumb question)...  I used to make fried mozzarella cheese sticks. I froze the cheese before breading and frying. The heat from the hot oil was enough to thaw and slightly melt the cheese with out it "blowing out" and leaving a hollow tube of crust. Different thicknesses of cheese make a difference in the thawed consistency. So my dumb question is....  Why can't you freeze the cream cheese filling, shape the dough around the frozen filling and fry? Either a "round" shape if the hot oil thaws a flat version too fast or a flat version if the round shape is still frozen.
post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/06/04 12:32:16
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/04 12:40:23 (permalink)
Here's a link with the recipe and a pic of the liquid cheesecake. It's a very popular item at Momofuku Milk Bar. in NYC. It would make a great filling for cannoli and makes an outstanding dip...if all else is a no-go.

http://www.tastingtable.c...2/No_forks_allowed.htm
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/04 12:41:28
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/05 00:27:58 (permalink)
Hmmm... Well, I'm not sure. As I said, I've made apricot cheesecake fried pies but they never sold very well, despite being really yummy. Still, I'm not proud. I sell what people want to buy. As far as just making a cheesecake fried pie, I don't see why you couldn't do just what you wrote - freeze or chill the cheesecake and wrap a fried pie crust around it. As soon as it's out of the oil and cooled enough, put it in the fridge to firm up the inevitable melting of the cheesecake. Would you like me to try this and let you know or would you rather do it?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/05 00:46:38 (permalink)
I am thinking of experiment with a cherry pie filling drained or a maraschino base kicked up with a little Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper syrup and a little bit of spice to keep it from being so sweet. Maybe in an empanada disc. If that works without major disaster (knock on wood)...on to the cheesecake pie experiment and a homemade crust.
Fried Pie Lady
Junior Burger
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/06 10:58:43 (permalink)
Let me know how that turns out! Sounds interesting.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Funnel cake difficulties - please give me advice! 2012/06/06 11:19:21 (permalink)
I will make them for my card game...this weekend. I can get some feedback from a group of ladies who grew up here and never had a fried pie...but for the commercial variety. I just have to find a balance to the sweet since I am taking out almond extract and lemon juice and replacing it with some syrup (I want to be careful about making them too juicy as well.)

I will post pics of the pies...good bad or ugly! Fingers crossed.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1