Fussy about coffee

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/03/16 10:24:17 (permalink)

Fussy about coffee

Over the years I've gotten fussy about my coffee. I'm talking about when I am out, ordering it.

I refuse Starbucks (I had it in Seattle years ago when it was really good). I loved a small Spanish place near me that sold cafe con leche but they closed last year (after 30 yrs.) due to a huge rent increase. Local delis and coffee carts have take outs, which varies from $.75 to $1.25, and it is really variable.

I have also noticed that many very good restaurants don't have especially good coffee.

I hate the watery coffee, the tasteless coffee, the burnt coffee. In fact I'm running out of places to go.

Help!

7 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15333
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/16 10:37:16 (permalink)
    Coffee and Beer seem to be evolving into 'specialty' products much as Wine has done in recent years. The pattern of small differences in taste, appearance, consistency, and packaging are creating a broad set of choices for the consumer. It is hard for me to judge whether this is the result of refined consumer tastes, or smart marketing by the producers of the various products.

Gone are the days when one would walk into cafe, soda fountain, bar... and ask for Coffee, Coke, or Beer. Today one must use multi-word descriptors to be sure you are served the exact 'sub-set' of the family of items that are now included in the general group of the simple product we once knew.

Tea is another item that is fast approching this sort of complex development.
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/16 10:48:31 (permalink)
    I agree with you Al-The Mayor-Bowen,most of the time when I order coffee in a Starbucks kinda place, its too much drama for a cup of normal regular coffee hahahha.
    I also agree with you NYNM, I can't stand weak piss water coffee,if it can't walk on it's own, its too weak hahahahahaha
    Pamela
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/17 13:57:31 (permalink)
    I have been ordering a "red eye" (coffee with a shot of espresso) which helps a bit.
    bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/17 14:10:39 (permalink)
    weak piss water coffee? That is the sort of experience that I've gotten at Starbucks the past couple times.

They haven't put out the good rich dark stuff the past couple times I've been in...I don't like the other stuff.....think it was a breakfast blend...
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/17 15:53:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bakman_01570

weak piss water coffee? That is the sort of experience that I've gotten at Starbucks the past couple times.

They haven't put out the good rich dark stuff the past couple times I've been in...I don't like the other stuff.....think it was a breakfast blend...

Oh yes Breakfast Blend. I never buy that anywhere (even beans to use at home). I need the caffeine turbo charge in the AM (and maybe the weaker "breakfast" blend in PM).
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1151
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/17 16:05:17 (permalink)
    George Carlin does a bit where he says that the longer your order at a Starbuck's counter is the bigger the A'hole you are. I cannot argue with that logic. I used to go to I-Hop when I craved a good cup. There's a chain in California call the coffee bean and Tea leaf company which has some good quality brew. I envision the suits taking over and heading it down the Starbucks path. Any more I just buy a bag of good beans or a bag of Community coffee and do my own.
    bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Fussy about coffee 2008/03/17 16:13:40 (permalink)
    I'm actually to lazy to grind beans in morning. I tend to use flavored creamers in the morning too. I always brew the coffee for wife and I...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1