G & M Crabcakes for dinner!

Author
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
2006/03/09 21:29:32 (permalink)

G & M Crabcakes for dinner!

Just wanted to share, especially with the Roadfooders who met at G & M in April 2004, that I had a G & M crabcake for dinner tonight.

Not knowing when I'd be able to get to the actual restaurant, I took the plunge and ordered them online; they arrived the very next day (via FedEx no less) and we had them for dinner tonight. The crabcakes arrive "raw," that is, uncooked, so you do have to pop them into the oven to cook them. They were most assuredly delicious, though, and still just as large! I had leftovers at the restaurant, but this time ate the whole crabcake, along with the cole slaw and seasoned fries I served with them. [:P] And yes, I was thinking of Roadfood whilst dining. BTW, as part of the ordering process, you're asked where you heard of G & M Restaurant, and naturally I said, "via roadfood.com!"

22 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/03/09 21:42:33 (permalink)

Fond Memories of the great Food, and the great Company that day. Thanks for bringing both thoughts back to me.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/02 15:53:43 (permalink)
    You know I hate to say this but I really dislike G&M's crabcakes.
    I don't know what the fuss is about with G&M and their crabcakes.

The ones I had today for lunch had mixed in with the crab, a mass of congealed filler that reminded me of soggy cornmush. Truly dissappointing.

I've had better ones, by far, especially here in NW Baltimore County at a family run Crabhouse called Reter's in Reisterstown.

Consider me underwhelmed in Baltimore.......
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/02 16:06:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

You know I hate to say this but I really dislike G&M's crabcakes.
    I don't know what the fuss is about with G&M and their crabcakes.

The ones I had today for lunch had mixed in with the crab, a mass of congealed filler that reminded me of soggy cornmush. Truly dissappointing.

I've had better ones, by far, especially here in NW Baltimore County at a family run Crabhouse called Reter's in Reisterstown.

Consider me underwhelmed in Baltimore.......

Are you sure that you were not served meatloaf?
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/05 23:52:32 (permalink)
    Yes there is some filler that is hard to describe, but there are also lots of big lumps of crabmeat just as tasty as can be.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 10:55:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Yes there is some filler that is hard to describe, but there are also lots of big lumps of crabmeat just as tasty as can be.

Signman,
    That's the problem for me, because I can get better cakes, with just as much meat (without eating around that hard to describe mush).
    A cake where you can actually taste the meat and the binder (difference there is the cake is not 1/2 filler) and spices, at a number of local mom & pop crabhouses.

For the uninitiated, maybe it's a close facsimile, but for the prices they charge I can do much better at CJ's or Reter's.

Have you tried any of the cakes up at The Cracked Pot in Towson? I've heard them advertise a "pounder" plus crabcake but haven't made it over there. Actually I never seem to make it past Andy Nelson's for the Best Q in Bawlmor, Hon!
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 13:03:41 (permalink)
    I like G&M pretty well, but they are definitely NOT the best crabcakes around. That honor would go to Faidley's in Lexington Market. But I don't get up there much because there really isn't anyplace to sit.

We occasionally order G&M for takeout. The cakes are pretty reasonably priced for what you get.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 14:30:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

I like G&M pretty well, but they are definitely NOT the best crabcakes around. That honor would go to Faidley's in Lexington Market. But I don't get up there much because there really isn't anyplace to sit.

We occasionally order G&M for takeout. The cakes are pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

So joanie,
    if you could get Faidley quality anytime by just driving a few blocks, to you, would G&M's be inferior and a disappointment based on the comparison?

That's kind of how I feel about G&Ms cakes. I'm down there all the time as my wife works at BWI and I keep telling myself, maybe just this one time they'll be better, but I always come away disappointed in the cakes and myself for getting hornswaggled by the rationalization.
    ged
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 15:06:59 (permalink)
    Does the Cracked Pot in Towson serve steamed crabs? I went to a GREAT place in Towson for steamed crabs and all the trimmings about 8 years ago and have not been able to remember the name.
    signman
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 15:24:47 (permalink)
    If it was in a small strip shopping center with a Giant grocery store alongside, it was the Crack Pot.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 16:33:25 (permalink)
    Beer, I wouldn't call G&M a "disappointment"...I just don't consider them the best crabcakes around. Faidley's is walking distance from where I work, but I don't love going to Lexington Market (you end up smelling like grease all day long!) and it is cost prohibitive to eat there on a regular basis. If the G&M facility sold Faidley's crabcakes, it would be just about perfect!

Incidentally -- and a bit off-topic -- my favorite way to eat crab is just pure lumps in butter (Norfolk style). To me, that is manna from the gods!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/06 18:05:44 (permalink)
    Once, about 20 years ago, we found ourselves in Norfolk at lunch time and realy lucked out in finding a storefront restaurant in the old downtown area that served "Crab Norfolk". The place smelled of leaking gas, it was rundown and not the cleanest place we've ever seen, but the CRAB NORFOLK was delicious, as was the delight in watching the expert behind the counter shuck oysters - of which we ate a dozen each. We made notes to find the place the next time we drove south, but it was gone - a victim of urban renewal. To this day we have never again found CRAB NORFOLK on a menu anyplace. We've tried making it at home - it seems elegantly simple- but have never been able to duplicate what we had on that lucky day years ago.

Anyone got a CRAB NORFOLK recipe?

And, we love the crabcakes at G&M. We also loved the crabcakes at the now gone Jetty and also gone Angler's in Kent Island. They were both very different from G&M, but the very tops of their kind.

Cheers, John
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 12:10:18 (permalink)
    John, they have crab norfolk on the menu at the Crab Shanty in Ellicott City. Hubby and I eat there a few times a year, and I always order this. And I savor every bite. Very expensive, but worth it!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 12:34:13 (permalink)

Is there a difference between Crab Norfolk and Crab Imperial? I used to enjoy Crab Imperial at a seafood place between Williamsburg and Norfolk...name escapes me right now, but the rich flavor of the Crab and Scallops in the 'Imperial' lives well in my memory.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 13:27:07 (permalink)
    Crab norfolk and crab imperial are vastly different. Crab imperial is mayonnaise based, and crab norfolk is typically vinegar based, though in my version of crab norfolk I use beer instead of vinegar. I'm not a fan of crab imperial, but love crab norfolk. Here's what I do, but everything is to taste:

1 lb. lump crabmeat
    2 tsp beer/vinegar
    Old Bay seasoning to taste
    Salt to taste
    Black pepper to taste
    1/4 stick butter

De-shell the crabmeat in a bowl, then pour in the beer or vinegar (hint: beer is much better), then mix in the remaining ingredients with the exception of the butter in the bowl. Add the Old Bay, salt and pepper to your taste - add them in little amounts until it tastes right to you.

Add the mix to a baking dish or cake pan and spread evenly. Use a knife to shave the butter onto the top of the crab mix. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees, then cover your baking dish with aluminum foil. Punch a few holes in the foil to let the steam out.

Put the dish into the oven for about 15 minutes with the aluminum foil on, then take the foil off and cook for about another 5 minutes or so until the top of the crabmeat is lightly browned.

You will now have seafood nirvana. Good luck getting it to the dinner table. When I make this dish, it never seems to make it to the table without getting scavenged by all in the house.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 13:28:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roadrash

Crab norfolk and crab imperial are vastly different. Crab imperial is mayonnaise based, and crab norfolk is typically vinegar based, though in my version of crab norfolk I use beer instead of vinegar. I'm not a fan of crab imperial, but love crab norfolk. Here's what I do, but everything is to taste:

1 lb. lump crabmeat
    2 tsp beer/vinegar
    Old Bay seasoning to taste
    Salt to taste
    Black pepper to taste
    1/4 stick butter

De-shell the crabmeat in a bowl, then pour in the beer or vinegar (hint: beer is much better), then mix in the remaining ingredients with the exception of the butter in the bowl. Add the Old Bay, salt and pepper to your taste - add them in little amounts until it tastes right to you.

Add the mix to a baking dish or cake pan and spread evenly. Use a knife to shave the butter onto the top of the crab mix. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, then cover your baking dish with aluminum foil. Punch a few holes in the foil to let the steam out.

Put the dish into the oven for about 15 minutes with the aluminum foil on, then take the foil off and cook for about another 5 minutes or so until the top of the crabmeat is lightly browned.

You will now have seafood nirvana. Good luck getting it to the dinner table. When I make this dish, it never seems to make it to the table without getting scavenged by all in the house.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 14:48:23 (permalink)
    nm
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 22:10:06 (permalink)
    Thanks very much ,Roadrash, for the recipe- we'll try it soon .

Joanie: Is Ellicott City somewhere along Cheaspeake Bay? Please give me directions.

Cheers, John
    signman
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/07 22:37:04 (permalink)
    John, Ellicott City is a suburb of Baltimore. You'll find it by going west on US Route 40 towards Frederick. Crab Shanty is on the left, maybe a mile past Route 29. www.crabshanty.com
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/08 00:14:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Thanks very much ,Roadrash, for the recipe- we'll try it soon .

Joanie: Is Ellicott City somewhere along Cheaspeake Bay? Please give me directions.

Cheers, John
    You're quite welcome. Enjoy!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/08 09:55:44 (permalink)
    Just found my Crab Norfolk recipe; it is a little different than one posted.

1 stick butter
    1 pound jumbo lump crab meat (use fresh and not pasteurized. It makes a world of difference)
    1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
    In a 10" non-stick skillet, heat butter until mostly melted. Add the crabmeat; heat over medium-high heat until the crabmeat begins to brown, stirring very gently making sure not to break up the lumps. Drizzle with vinegar and serve immediately in individual heated serving dishes while still sizzling.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/08 18:19:07 (permalink)
    Guess I'll have to cook up Crab Norfolk twice in the same week- but you dont have to cry for me (just for my bank account).

cheers, John
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    RE: G & M Crabcakes for dinner! 2006/06/13 16:36:33 (permalink)
    Interesting that crab Norfolk has vinegar in it...when I've had it at the Crab Shanty, I only notice butter, not vinegar. But maybe it's in there and I just didn't notice. All I know is that it's really rich and really yummy. I've always thought that most seafood is best with just butter. Lots of breading, filler, mayo takes away from the experience. (fried clams might be an exception)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1