G.D. Ritzy's

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2007/11/18 15:44:57 (permalink)
Ritzy's were an excellent concept. The original stores in Columbus were very good for about 2 yrs then the quality went rapidly downhill. As usually happens in the franchise world, they expanded too quickly and were lax in quality control. They were a direct Steak and Shake rippoff but excellent. Steak and Shake has continually gone downhill for years and isn't even worth a stop anymore. It all comes down to mis-management.
R1LH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/21 11:21:28 (permalink)
I worked for G.D. Ritzy's while attending college at Ohio State. I also helped open new franchises as an hourly employee. It was a great experience, and I met some incredible people.

Daddy-O's was a concept started by another former Ritzy's executive, named Richard Einhorn. Although Mr. Einhorn was formerly associated with Ritzy's, the double drive thru concept was comparable to Rally's, or Checker's restaurants.

I now work at a restaurant just minutes from the site of the original G.D. Ritzy's in Upper Arlington, Ohio.

I always hear very positive comments from those who remember Ritzy's here in Columbus.
R1LH
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/21 11:26:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swillard

I loved GD Ritzys. I loved their burgers but they had the best shoestring fries anywhere. THe closest thing we have now is Steak N Shake. However, an ice cream/chocolate store near my work in New Albany, OH carries Ritzy's ice cream (same logo used on the ritzys.com site).

I heard they were going to be opening them again, I would love to see them back in Columbus.
R1LH
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/21 11:28:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swillard

I loved GD Ritzys. I loved their burgers but they had the best shoestring fries anywhere. THe closest thing we have now is Steak N Shake. However, an ice cream/chocolate store near my work in New Albany, OH carries Ritzy's ice cream (same logo used on the ritzys.com site).

I heard they were going to be opening them again, I would love to see them back in Columbus.

Another restaurant in Upper Arlington, near the Kingsdale Shopping Center sells Ritzy's ice cream.
R1LH
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/21 11:34:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:
Originally posted by Rowsdower98

Update, again!
I went to Ritzy's in Owensboro this weekend, and it was exactly how I remember it, great burgers, thin cut fries, art deco decor, awesome ice cream. Took a car load of friends and they all agreed it was worth the 125 mile back road drive. The staff was friendly and seemed to be quite impressed that I drove all that way just to eat at their place. They even still had the Ritzy's logo on all their cups and tray liners. The menu was exactly how I remembered it as well, right down to peanut butter and jelly and steamed vegetables. I will definitely be going back again, maybe to the ones in Evansville though, for the sake of variety and a quicker trip.

Excellent! Glad to hear that this touchstone to your childhood didn't disappoint. I tried something like this at Godfather's Pizza this year on vacation and it was just okay. My son liked it, but my wife and daughter actively hated it.
R1LH
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/21 11:38:49 (permalink)
Living in Columbus, Ohio, it's hard to miss the unique archetecture of the original free standing restaurants. They are all fondly remembered here by those who appreciated the food and ice cream.
quote:
Originally posted by Rowsdower98

Update, again!
I went to Ritzy's in Owensboro this weekend, and it was exactly how I remember it, great burgers, thin cut fries, art deco decor, awesome ice cream. Took a car load of friends and they all agreed it was worth the 125 mile back road drive. The staff was friendly and seemed to be quite impressed that I drove all that way just to eat at their place. They even still had the Ritzy's logo on all their cups and tray liners. The menu was exactly how I remembered it as well, right down to peanut butter and jelly and steamed vegetables. I will definitely be going back again, maybe to the ones in Evansville though, for the sake of variety and a quicker trip.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/02/22 08:09:53 (permalink)
Every time I've visited Evansville, Indiana's G.D. Ritzy's since it opened there on Green River Road in late 1983, I've enjoyed all the items, but I can rarely manage to leave there without swallowing a scoop of their Philadelphia Style Vanilla ice cream. Its flavor is closer to that of vanilla-eggnog. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I read once that this was the flavor that was used when ice cream was first introduced in America when it was served at the White House in 1803. A knowledgeable food scholar could verify that one way or the other.
OHTraveler
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/04/11 06:54:27 (permalink)
What are the names of the places that carry Ritzy's ice cream in New Albany and at Kingsdale? I live in Columbus and would love to find them.
Billdolfski
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/05/11 19:19:37 (permalink)
I knew that most of them had gone out of business, but I'm surprised to see that only six are left.

It's excellent for fast food, wonder why they all failed? I grew up in Huntington and suspect that the fact that the Ritzy's there is across the street from a hospital might help keep it alive. That place gets a crazy lunch rush.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/05/12 00:12:54 (permalink)
I'm kind of shocked they failed too. The food was good. Maybe they can come back. Are the remaining ones no longer franchises?

Andrea
startrooper00
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2008/05/13 20:21:51 (permalink)
They are trying to make a comeback but its very slow... The six remaining in Ky, In and Wv are all franchisees. There are now two open in Texas and they are company owned and they are not franchising.

www.ritzys.com
Whosyer12
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2010/06/26 09:52:13 (permalink)
I too, love Ritzy's and will go out of my way to eat at the Evansville locations when passing thru. Anyone know what that clear brown stuff is in the little bottles on each table? I put it on everything--it is indescribably deelish!  Maybe a vinegar of some sort?   I sent an email to Ritzy's corporate asking about it but never heard back--so maybe it's not in the new restaurants.

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2010/06/26 23:00:08 (permalink)
Whosyer12, all I know is that they call it Cincinnati sauce.  It's definitely different, but it doesn't taste like any Cincinnati chili sauce I've ever had.  But yeah, I could douse that stuff not only on the hot dogs, but any other sandwich they offer.

columbusjeff
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2010/10/20 21:58:10 (permalink)
There's one Ritzys in Columbus, OH 200 E. Campus View Blvd. Cols. North of I-270 just east of RT 23 (High Street)
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2010/10/21 10:13:19 (permalink)
columbusjeff

There's one Ritzys in Columbus, OH 200 E. Campus View Blvd. Cols. North of I-270 just east of RT 23 (High Street)

Is this right?  Did it just open because I hae been up there several times and never seen one.
shocktech
Junior Burger
RE: G.D. Ritzy's 2010/12/30 11:47:50 (permalink)
I'm sort of a GD Ritzy's expert and here is a little info about the Evansville, IN restaurants.  In my youth I worked at all 3 of the locations.

All 3 locations are imo better than the newer "Ritzy's" locations like the ones in Owensbor, KY.  I wont even eat at those because I'm disappointed usually.

I think that the GM for the GD Ritzys in Evansville is the main reason that it has sustained its quality. Anybody that ever worked there will probably call him a few names BUT..they wont deny his commitment to maintaining the quality of service that his stores provide. I still see him on site working in the stores pretty frequently.  My fear is that when he retires the stores will go downhill.

I dont know how much the Evansville locations match the newer ones; but by looking at an online menu I can say for sure that the food doesnt look the same. Different buns, meat, etc.

I know that the Evansville stores used to get their meat from a local butcher shop. Cant verify that they still do but I always felt like its why their burgers had a great taste. Never frozen, always fresh, local ground beef.  Normal fast food places get their meat from BPI (Beef Products Inc.) and if you want to be turned off just go their website and listen to them try and convince you that their "meat block" is appropriate food for humans. Notice that not one of their customers lets them list their name ANYWHERE. 

I know for a long time the ice cream was actually made in the West Side store. Not sure if it still is but I remember going over to pick up ice cream and seeing the machine and the ingredients. It was pretty clear why their ice cream was superb.
Their food really is exceptional for "fast food" and it does cost a dollar or two more than other fast food joints but its well worth it.

If you are in evansville and pass a GD Ritzys its worth the stop. Make sure you dont miss out on the ice cream.  It's all good but to me, the vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan cashew, and Oreo ice cream steal the show.  Dense, rich, creamy, fattening ice cream.  This is no baskin robbins junk.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1