Helpful ReplyGLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE

Page: << < ..21222324 Showing page 24 of 24
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/26 07:55:07 (permalink)
Man, I didn't like any of the food from Beacon Light Tea Room.  That was the big disappointment of the weekend. 

Oh, and I'm Batman!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/26 23:30:28 (permalink)
"The crunkest fish in town."   Maybe it's best we don't know what this means.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18887
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/27 07:39:33 (permalink)
Crunkest? Here y'all go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunk
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/27 08:32:54 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Crunkest? Here y'all go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunk

"the term crunk can be traced back to 1972 in the Dr. Seuss book Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!."

So it all has to do with Dr Seuss?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18887
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/27 11:23:39 (permalink)
Might as well blame it on him. He's dead so he can't argue about it.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/28 19:29:26 (permalink)

Saturday February 18

Our first stop in the morning was Silke's Old World Breads about an hour or so from Nashville. Most of the rest of the crew joined us including Bushie, Mayor Al and his lovely bride Janet, Will Work 4 Q and Louis.

This was certainly the highlight of the weekend in Nashville. An old school German Bakery with not only a variety of Pastries and Breads but also German Style breakfast meats and wursts.

I actually got something healthy for everyone to share

The apple oat square. Since we were all sharing I got something else after we all sat down (I don't remember what) to ensure that there was no duplication 
Not only that but the coffee at the bakery was from Nashville's own Bongo Java Roasting company- truly an added bonus

Next we wen to Knockum Hill BBQ in Herndon KY about a half hour's drive.

A couple of pigs welcomed us at the entrance and Travelin Man decided to warm up to them.

Well, he really warmed up to Mr. Piggy! " />

our pre-ordered pork chops were ready to go

here's one of them

Chi Town Diner ordered four for himself!

The chops were as tender as pot roast - well, it actually tasted like pot roast, it really didn't have much smoke flavor

I don't remember much about the ribs so I guess they weren't that memorable- I don't remember them being bad, just nothing special

Same with the burgoo-

Your choice of sauce 

Sad to say, I don't remember anything about this pie- It could be butterscotch or buttermilk but I honestly don't remember

The owner was straight out of "central casting" he had that classic "mile a minute" Kentucky twang. TTM appropriately compared him to a carnival barker.

We returned to Nashville to pick up Buffetbuster who decided to get some extra sleep. 

Bolton's was our first intended stop for some hot chicken, unfortunately we never got to eat here, I'm not going to go into specifics but if anyone else wants to explain, please feel free to do so.

Our next stop was Sylvan Park 
one of the premier meat n three's in Nashville.

Even TTM gets a break every once in a while.

Someone started their meal with Chocolate Pie

I began my meal with some nice fresh corn bread

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal of country fried steak. The sides were particularly good. Clockwise the sides are squash casserole, corn pudding and green beans.

I had a bite of this chess pie, my only regret is that I didn't get a slice of my own. I've never been a big fan of chess pie, in fact I've all but given up on it- this is truly the best Chess Pie I've ever had.

And here is one of Sylvan Park's cheery and sunny employees. 

I would say that other than Silke's, Sylvan Park was the other highlight in Nashville.

Our last stop of the afternoon was Ellston Place Soda Shop

Looking down as you enter the restaurant.

The interior just has that old fashioned classic soda fountain atmosphere.

When I last visited 7 years ago, I didn't care much for the food at all, with the exception of one thing- dessert.
It stuck in my memory all of these years and it was available today

It may not look like much but this is EVERYTHING that lemon ice box pie should be. It was just as good as I remembered. 

For the highlight evening event, I carpooled with Paul and Iwannago

To the famous Loveless Cafe

As we entered, the place was packed. Poverty Pete did the right thing by making reservations well in advance.

The rest of the crew including Ralph Melton and his lovely bride, Icecreamchick as well as Michael Hoffman and Lleechef were all there.

Dinner was served family style and included  biscuits with their famous preserves, Catfish, Fried Chicken and Country ham as well as Greens,  Hash Brown Casserole and Mac n Cheese

Here is my plate of Fried Chicken, Greens and Mac N Cheese- again. everything was ok but there was nothing mind blowing about the meal. I did enjoy the country ham, unfortunately I didn't get any photos. I didn't have any catfish.

As I walked around the restaurant I observed the viewing area where you can observe the biscuits being made

Just as we were leaving, plates of desserts landed right in front of Cajun King. 

Unfortunately I didn't get to try any.

I'll conclude tomorrow with Sunday's brunch as well as the final excerpt of my trip report.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/03/28 21:01:25
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/28 20:08:44 (permalink)
I was not feeling very well that day I joined you at Knockum Hill, but even I didn't think the meat tasted as good as I'd had in the past.  The ribs tasted exactly like the pork chop, which ought to tell you something; I also thought they were a bit too dry.

As for their sides, I could have told you to stay away.  The sides are not their strength at all; there is absolutely nothing to recommend on that front.

I've had a decent barbecue sandwich at Knockum Hill, but it is what I call "Tennessee Mild" barbecue.  I'm more accustomed to the harsher barbecue flavors 100 miles north of Knockum.

post edited by Louis - 2012/03/28 20:10:12
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/03/29 18:34:29 (permalink)
Sunday February 19

We all gathered for a buffet brunch at Ellendales in Nashville.
Not regional or roadfood- the buffet offered both breakfast and lunch options
The highlight in my opinion being the omelet bar

Mine included tomato, roasted red pepper, mushrooms, capers, andouille sausage and fontina cheese.

See my trip report for the "Farewell" chapter.
Page: << < ..21222324 Showing page 24 of 24
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1