Helpful ReplyGLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 24
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 21:37:11 (permalink)
Wonderful reports from old friends, a few friends i have not met yet. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and its offshoots. thanks to all who have written. Congrats to BB and WJ for well deserved recognition for their trip reports.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/20 23:47:22 (permalink)
I'm Baaaaaaack!

AND I DID BUFFETBUSTER PROUD (my sugar level not so much, but CTD & BB will be proud)

So

After trying to choke down "The Best Burger in Nashville" I ate the onion rings and another diet coke and listened to the honky tonk band. The lead singer said "If you came in here to hear Carrie Underpants or Taylor "Shi*s" then you all need to get the hell outta here cause you WONT find that crap in here." and he was right, 50's & 60's rockabilly & honky tonk music.

I wish there was a way to post video I created two clips of different songs. The guy looked like a 1953 George Jones, and sounded like Ol Hank.

Ok I left Robert's Western World and thought to myself "self let's get a cab back to the car?"  Self said "But it's only 3 blocks?"  I said "self it's 3 blocks UPHILL.... TAXI!!"
It was the best $3.20 I spent that day.

I was starting to get the beginnings of what would become another headache from hell.  I decided that since it was only 2:15 I had plenty of time to drive to Dad's take a short nap with some advil and then head back to the Loveless.

It worked perfectly, I got back to dad's took a short nap and then headed to the Loveless.  I had gotten basic directions from pogophiles earlier and instead of printing off directions I figured I could find it, my navigation system and I DO NOT LIKE NASHVILLE roads.  One direction the road is onething, the other direction it is called something else, if it is a state highway then not only is it "bob's turnpike east" but also TN 251 and 3 other roads also and the damn sign onlys says something totally different.

I THANK my human navigation systems (my wife and pogophiles) they got me there a little late ok A LOT late but, food was still flowing and the serious discussions just beginnning.

I thought the toast to RickF was good it reminded me of those we have lost this past year.  "Salute" to them all, may you rest in peace.

The award ceremony was nice, Buffetbuster was prancing around holding up the I'm number 1 sign, until we reminded him that he actually tied for second. 
In all honesty, both WJ and BB well deserve their awards, their trip reports are not only food related but area related too an that makes it fun for me to read the reports.  (I am not going to divulge which of the award recipients umm...... left his award on the table as we left)

Here are my pictures:
Dinner (ham, hash brown casserole, catfish, greens and mac 7 cheese)

The wait staff said "Don't eat that cold catfish, and Baboom a plate with fresh hot catfish, and then hot biscuits and then more HBC and then some more biscuits.  I was stuffed.

here is the gang, and let me begin by saying:

It was great to finally meet Ralph & Lori, Michael Hoffman and his blushing bride Lisa, Lin (Will work for bbq) and Pogophiles wife too.

The rest of you..... It was good seeing you all too.  I did miss cousin Johnny and hope that you are feeling MUCH better.  I also missed bushie somewhere??

Ralph & Lori Melton

The Travelling Man & Lori (Ralph you better watch him!! oh wait she is not 16 and serving him.  Lori will be ok) I love you brother

Soon to be Doctor Roz

The Mayor and his wonderful wife Janet (why she puts up with us I will never know)

Will Work For BBQ

Wandering Jew          Mrs Pogophile (Ellen)                                             Bushie

Poverty Pete     (PP called in sick)

Now I am missing myself ( I would break my camera), CTD (he took most of the people pictures while I caught up on eating), BB (who knows where he was hiding or maybe he was taking biscuit pictures during this time, and the Curmudgeon and his bride ( I thought he threatened us with death by fast food with we showed his face)

So I am glad others took thir pictures so I can see them.

MH - It was really good to meet you, maybe i can get up to Columbus this summer and Gahanna Grill or over to Waldo for some bologna.

As the main gaggle of glee clubbers left, I thought to myself (we talk alot myself and me)

"SELF - EVERYONE IS LEAVING AND WE HAVENT HAD DESSERT YET??
WAITRESS!!!!!!!!!!"  She brought the menu and told me their selections it was decided that WE MUST order:

Banananananana Puddin

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Key Lime Pie

and even though I ordered 3 berry cobbler, she came back and said they were out of 3 berry cobbler  " />" />" />
but they did have fresh blackberry cobbler coming straight from the oven.

enough spoons were brought and those that remained sampled the dessert course.

No more chocolate fudge pie

No more BANNANANANNA PUDDIN

According to me he top dessset was the Bananana Puddin, followed by the cobbler, thenthe fudge pie, then key lime pie

Loveless Neon

I followed CTD back to the airport exit and then back to Lebanon for me, when I got home my headache from hell had returned and the lights were like someone driving a nail throughmy left eye.

I had a note for Dad to wake me up so I could make the Sunday Brunch, but he had other plans for us that day.  His college roommate who he had not seen in 40+ years was passing through and wanted to stop by for lunch.

So that's what we did, an authentic mexican buffet that was out of this world.
They had a great time it was good to see him smile.

So I missed my chance to say "GOOD BYE" to you all. it was great to see & meet you all. I am hoping that 2013 in the Gulf Shores is a possibility.

One last note:  I went south to AVOID this stuff

post edited by mayor al - 2012/02/21 00:32:52
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 00:03:38 (permalink)
My last night in TN what would buffetbuster do??

I had ribs dinner at home with my dad and his wife, but was hankering for dessert.  it was almost 8:00pm and like the other night I was in a rush to make it back to the Sunset Family Restaurant before they closed.

It was 7:58pm as I pulled in to the almost empty parking lot, not a good sign, but there were people inside so that is a good sign.  As I walked to the door the owner/manager was walking to lock it.

She smiled and welcomed me inside, i was about to say i will take it togo when she asked how many in the party?  WOO HOO!!!

She showed me to a section that had just been cleaned and got some looks from some of the servers.  My server came up and I said "I'm only here for desssert"
"you don't want dinner?"  "nope just ate but needed some bananana puddin"

I placed my order and thought i could hear the kitchen crew cheer when I only got dessert.

I was still thinking "What would BB do on his last night in town and you know the pie and pudding are good????"

I KNOW!!!!  ORDER THEM ALL!!

Bananana Pudding

Buttermilk Pie

Grandma's Recipe Chocolate Pie

You all rememebr the picture of my dad with the look of "I cant believe I ate the whole thing"  imagine that look now.

except he was home playing frontierville 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18254
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:26:46 (permalink)
Don, I would really enjoy meeting up with you at either the Gahanna Grill or G&R Tavern in Waldo. Maybe you could talk lleechef into at least trying a fried bologna sandwich. She keeps refusing when I try to get her to try one.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:29:15 (permalink)
Nice report and pictures.  Looked like a great time!  

Congrats to BB and WJ.  Well deserved recognition.  WJ what was that food item you were sneaking up on with the camera?

And I must say, MH doesn't look anything like the curmudgeon I thought he would be.....must be the shirt  Lisa and Michael, congratulations on you marriage.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10067
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:34:16 (permalink)
CK-
All three?  That is some quality ordering, my friend!  Both of the pies look really good, but the banana pudding looks to be the best of the lot.  I need to check this place out.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6613
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:35:05 (permalink)
You all can keep your fried bologna (baloney) sandwiches.  I'll take that blackberry cobbler!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 08:46:29 (permalink)
Don, see what I mean?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15175
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 09:02:37 (permalink)
Lisa
  You are not alone.. I find Fried Baloney sandwiches to be a 'Tail-gater's Worst Nightmare' ( eat one before the game and then have to find a Port-A-Can before half-time !!) The name that it earned in our annual Boy Scout Summer Camp (60 years ago) was DONKEY DICK . I found that strangely revolting and have not touched one of those sandwiches since !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 09:15:31 (permalink)
Al:  I am like you and Lisa.  They served them a lot when I was in the Air Force.  The airmen called them Horse C--K sandwiches.  I never ate one after that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 10:01:21 (permalink)
Thank you for the congratulations Mr. Rogo. I am, though, a certified curmudgeon. As someone masquerading as an Italian guy from Pennsylvania you should know that appearances can be deceiving.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/02/21 10:02:47
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:06:25 (permalink)
On Sunday afternoon, I was forced, forced to ride along with the 3 Musketeers (CTD, BB, TTM) to continue depleting the inventories of several local cafes.  We stopped by a little shop named Cupcake Collections, which I realized was just a few doors down from Monell's, where the 1st meeting of the Glee Club was held.  I was thinking about that and wondered if I could find an old picture I was fond of.  So, this morning, I dredged up this shot, for those who are unfamiliar with the history of this group of fine-looking and intelligent people who gather every year.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:
The West Tennessee BBQ Appreciation Society & Glee Club
circa 2005, Lynchburg, TN

This picture was taken during their brief, but quite memorable concert tour through the Southeast, billed as:
Pogo & The Porchdogs

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:16:55 (permalink)
My, my, what a HANDSOME group of Roadfooders!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7666
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:33:10 (permalink)
Bushie

On Sunday afternoon, I was forced, forced to ride along with the 3 Musketeers (CTD, BB, TTM) to continue depleting the inventories of several local cafes.  We stopped by a little shop named Cupcake Collections, which I realized was just a few doors down from Monell's, where the 1st meeting of the Glee Club was held.  I was thinking about that and wondered if I could find an old picture I was fond of.  So, this morning, I dredged up this shot, for those who are unfamiliar with the history of this group of fine-looking and intelligent people who gather every year.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

This picture was taken during their brief, but quite memorable concert tour through the Southeast, billed as:
Pogo & The Porchdogs

I like how Paul is "posing" in this photo!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:49:57 (permalink)
WJ:  I sorta doubt if I was posing.  I suppose that something may have caught my interest.  Maybe the aroma of some nearby libation sorta caught my attention???????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 12:54:58 (permalink)
Paul-
Or considering your love of birding, maybe you spotted a yellow-bellied sapsucker!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:14:59 (permalink)
Bushie

Pogo & The Porchdogs

Yikes!  THAT was a few pounds ago...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:34:17 (permalink)
Those are just cosmetic changes in appearance due to the camera angle, My comic-strip fearing friend !!
Come on some of you Glee-Clubbers who took tons of photos...Get them added to this thread with your comments on the meetings...before we have to start planning the next session !!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7666
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:39:45 (permalink)
mayor al

Those are just cosmetic changes in appearance due to the camera angle, My comic-strip fearing friend !!
Come on some of you Glee-Clubbers who took tons of photos...Get them added to this thread with your comments on the meetings...before we have to start planning the next session !!

I have 10 days of trip reporting to do prior to Nashville- I'm deferring those additional photos to my fellow Roadfooders.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:40:58 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Paul-
Or considering your love of birding, maybe you spotted a yellow-bellied sapsucker!

I am trying to recall but as best as I can remember, it was a mile or more bird.  Perhaps you are not familiar with this species but it is extremely rare in Tennessee.  It is a bird that sinks  his beak in the sand and whistles out his rear and you can hear it for a mile or more" />

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 13:45:36 (permalink)
Paul-
Actually, that is fairly common around here, just not from birds.

Al-
I have lots of photos, but my laptop is being repaired.  I will try and get some up by the end of the week if all goes well.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 14:08:29 (permalink)
OK, To bring back some more of the old memories of the 2004 initial session of the Glee Club. I found a couple to add to Chris's historical file...
Bushie and Paul meet the famous JimInKentucky, the evening before we hit the BBQ tour.

Here Pogophile counsels Jim about asking the waitress out for a drink, while the rest of us are waiting for our Fried Chicken and Okra !!!

Not quite a Roadfood Top Ten list-maker...My Three Sons BBQ

The boys were standing in the room watching us during the visit. I never could figure out who was Larry or Darryl and the other Darryl??? Note that Paul remained standing, not to show respect for the owner...but for health and safety reasons.

Thanks Chris for bringing us here, after the visit to Hayes Smokehouse !
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2293
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 14:33:56 (permalink)
Bushie

Pogo & The Porchdogs

Those with an observant eye will notice only one Hawaiian shirt in the crowd; a sign of things to come..
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:13:07 (permalink)
Darned Bushie.....had to go and start that Hawaiian shirt tradition.  Now since I own one and can basically wear it nowhere, I'll have to keep attending the Glee Club meetings.  Such a sacrifice!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3728
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:39:03 (permalink)
All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:40:28 (permalink)
All traditions have to begin somewhere.  Bushie started it and now many of us have one of those "beautiful shirts???"

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 411
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 15:46:25 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

All kidding aside, and forgiving Poverty Pete's rough health this past weekend, the five guys in that picture from 2004 don't look like they aged a single day since then.

No kidding!  They have not changed one bit!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 16:37:43 (permalink)
will_work_4_bbq

The Travelin Man

Well, Poverty Pete and Bushie now wear long pants.

Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 17:33:42 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Suck up...

will_work_4_bbq

Well, thank you for your very kind words, Lynn.  Dear.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6171
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/02/21 17:35:03 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman, I fully expected you would be attired in an Ascot and perhaps a Safari hat!
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 24
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1