Helpful ReplyGLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
Fire Safety Admin
2011/12/29 12:52:10
After much study and a lot of emailing of members, it looks like the GLEE CLUB will desend on Nashville, TN for the President's Day Weekend to resume it's annual get-together. Details are still being resolved, but the stops will include Knock'em Hill BBQ for the famous porkchop (and other great BBQ), and the Sunday Brunch at Ellendales.  Main meetings will be Saturday afternoon & evening and Sunday Brunch. That would leave Friday evening open, Saturday breakfast and any time after noon Sunday for individuals to branch out into the Tennessee heartland for other good stuff.  If you have not attended a Glee Club session, we hope you will plan on joining us for a real interesting time. We tend to be a bit more casual than some of the sessions held by other groups here on RF.  Jan and I will be in town all day Saturday and head home Sunday afternoon.  We hope any and all members who can, will join us for some renewal of the friendships we've built over the years.
Motel choices and Povetry Pete's suggested dining schedule will be posted soon. Start making plans for a nice weekend in the Volunteer State !
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/29 13:07:47
My flight is already booked as is cousin Johnny's.  Looking forward to seeing everybody already!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/29 13:12:05
This will be the culmination of a 12 day trip around the Mid and Deep South for me. I'll be flying in/out of Birmingham Alabama  (an easy 2 1/2 hour drive from Nashville)  after the first leg of my trip in New Orleans
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/29 22:04:53
Looking forward to this get together. We always enjoy the fellowship...and some great food too.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/29 22:20:23
I just might come to this--at least the Knockum Hill portion.  Maybe the rest.  Let me see what kind of obstacles I'm faced with and see if I can work around them.  I'll make a decision closer to the day of the festivities.  Surely it won't snow around these parts of the country this late in February--but then it snowed on us in South Carolina two years ago.

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 00:39:34
IM IN - Dad now lives in Lebanon WOO HOO PARTY TIME

Rotiers Anyone??

post edited by CajunKing - 2011/12/30 00:40:51
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 07:03:42
I am glad the group will meet in Nashville and Roz and Sundancer will be there.  Looking forward to seeing the usual group and anyone else that joins in.
We gotta include a hot chicken and hot fish stop and I am sure that Poverty will know just  the right place to stop.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 08:25:23
Looks like we might have quite a group going this time.  It will be wonderful to see old friends again.

CK-
You and me (and anyone else who wants to go) at Rotier's.  Done!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 08:51:49
This is going to be great- I'm really looking forward to this. My trip begins on February 7 in New Orleans- I then fly to birmingham on the 10th and will make my way around Mississippi, Memphis, and Arkansas before joining everyone in Nashville.

As I previously told Buffetbuster I want to try a pimento cheese sandwich somewhere- after that I'll just simply go with the flow.
Big_g
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 09:01:52
On the calander and will talk to "she who must be obyed" for a weekend kitchen pass.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 09:39:26
Hmmmmm ...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 11:30:49
I'm in and looking forward to this long weekend...dieters beware!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 11:37:10
OK. lleechef and I are in.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 11:48:41
Michael Hoffman

Considering all the camera's will be in full force that weekend you're going to have to do alot of "ducking"
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 11:50:12
ChiTownDiner

I'm in and looking forward to this long weekend...dieters beware!

I'm getting that out of the way - NOW!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 12:03:09
wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

Considering all the camera's will be in full force that weekend you're going to have to do alot of "ducking"

Just consider me a mallard.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 12:20:25
Michael Hoffman

Fantastic!!!

will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 13:31:17
I'd love to come up for it.  Not a long drive from Birmingham.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 13:40:26
will_work_4_bbq-
I hope that you do come up and join us Lynn.  You would fit right in with the group.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 13:51:46
MH  Wear your Uncle Sam Suit..It makes a great disguise! 
  We'll be posting some of the options, and the main meal stops over the next couple of weeks.. I too hope to find some of the 'Hot Chicken' this trip. Knock'em Hill BBQ is about an hour out of Nashville near Ft Campbell, just off I-24. Most of the other places we are considering are within the Metro-Nashville area.  Pov.Pete's on the road this week, but he is getting a list of possible stops together, they will be posted soon.

We hope to hear from several RF folks in Tennessee soon. Susan from Memphis, The Bobs from Jackson, Dr Sauceman from over east, and Pogophile and many others???? This could be a dandy meeting with a great mix of Old-timers and New folks to really bring back the spirit of the Meet-and-Eat !
post edited by mayor al - 2011/12/30 13:54:08
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 13:58:34
Al-
I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but will we be expected to be in our traditional tropical uniform for Saturday night's dinner?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 14:01:34
buffetbuster

Al-
I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but will we be expected to be in our traditional tropical uniform for Saturday night's dinner?

I now have a brand new wardrobe of "tropical attire"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 14:33:47
Tropical uniform?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 14:47:13
Michael,
Somewhere along the way, several members of the Glee Club started wearing Hawaiian Shirts to "the Dinner Session" of the weekend gatherings. Many of us do that, even if the meeting is in a 'Non-Tropical' Location.  The dress is optional, so feel free to wear your usual bow-tie and tank-top.  If you have one, feel free to don the uniform for the dinner meeting.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 14:49:42
A curmudgeon in a Hawaiian shirt? The world would come to an end.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 15:01:49
mayor al

Michael,
Somewhere along the way, several members of the Glee Club started wearing Hawaiian Shirts to "the Dinner Session" of the weekend gatherings. Many of us do that, even if the meeting is in a 'Non-Tropical' Location.  The dress is optional, so feel free to wear your usual bow-tie and tank-top.  If you have one, feel free to don the uniform for the dinner meeting.

If I recall, the trend somehow began with Bushie.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 15:04:58
Can Bushie be coaxed to Nashville?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 15:09:35
Michael Hoffman

I'm hoping we can coax some of the original  Glee Club folks including  Bushie and Tiki

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 15:16:44
wanderingjew

Michael Hoffman

I'm hoping we can coax some of the original  Glee Club folks including  Bushie and Tiki

That would be terrific.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 19:44:40
Al, I think it is about time that we brought out some of the original pics from about ten years ago starting in Nashville and working our way forward.  I think the largest Glee Club meeting was in Owensboro at the Moonlight with better than 30????

All have been very good and some even better.  I am certainly looking forward to meeting all of our friends and certainly the new arrivals of Michael Hoffman and Lleechef.  I have never met either of them but somehow I feel like old friends and both are famous.  I really wish Stephen Rushmore would join us.  I guess Mr. Sterns joining us would be too much to expect????

This has the opportunity of being our best and I am certain that Poverty Pete will guide us to Nashville's best and most unusual which I hope includes what Nashville is famous for is hot chicken and hot fish.

The count is growing to the most famous Roadfood gathering ever.  I hope we can all stay at the same hotel.  That would be even more fun.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 19:54:26
I would love to join you guys, but it is family vacation week and we are already booked.  Perhaps you guys can also come to NOLA for the Roadfood fest in March?
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/30 19:54:51
Yes, what are the recommended hotels?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 07:56:50
This group started in February of 2004.  For those of you that are interested I have attached a link to the thread of January of 2005.  I believe I have attended each of them.  This thread was about our trip to Memphis and Lexington, TN.  Some have come and gone but the originals are still alive and eating.  This thread starts on page one of five and the pics are on page four.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/West-Tennessee-Glee-Club-Reunion-m120892.aspx
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 12:32:44
There are a cluster of moderate-priced Motels not far from the airport. I'll post a list of possibles shortly.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 12:47:35
I'll likely stay close to downtown- Where ever Priceline takes me! 
If I recall the airport isn't too far from town at all.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 15:45:45
I'm really looking forward to this.  More to see old/new friends than for the food!  Last time I saw this many Roadfooders was the first meet n' greet in Rancho Cucamonga.  Can't wait to see everybody in Nashville with the curmudgeon in tow.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 17:37:59
Lleechef, if it tickles yer fancy, you could leave your curmudgeon at home and rent one here in Nashville
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 17:52:47
Poverty Pete

Lleechef, if it tickles yer fancy, you could leave your curmudgeon at home and rent one here in Nashville

Hmmmmmm......I never thought about that!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 21:20:16
This has the opportunity to be one of the most interesting meets ever.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 21:22:05
Al,

If you do include Knockum Hill BBQ on the itinerary, remember their hours: 9-5 on Friday and 9 to 3 (or whenever they run out of food) on Saturdays.  If you are going to go there, I would suggest Friday.

I'll be interested to see what some of the stops in Nashville will be.  I just might be able to get away to make this.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2011/12/31 22:48:22
I recall this thread from several years ago.  I huge pork chop???  I do not know if I could do that but maybe???

I am in for this

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Knockum-Hill-in-Herndon-Ky-m231429.aspx
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 02:01:23
wanderingjew

If you hit the Lottery, be sure to stay at the Gaylord/Opryland Hotel. If you don't hit it, be sure to go see it while you're there. It's a mile or so from the Airport. Too bad you won't be there for Christmas. It's fantastic!
http://www.gaylordhotels.com/opryland-home.html
And catch a show at The Grand Ole Opry right next door:
http://www.opry.com/index.html
Don't forget to get your Goo Goo Clusters!
http://www.googoo.com/
And your Martha White Flour while you're there:
http://www.marthawhite.com/

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/01/01 02:24:38
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 07:57:33
Sheesch, Foodie, You sound like my Mom giving me a 'do list' for our Summer trips !  Where is "Don't forget your mittons!!" (or, in my World, "Don't forget to take your pills!!" )

BTW, The Stuckey's in Indiana and Illinois both claim they can no long get Goo-Goo Clusters ! They have always been our source for those treats. (The Pecan version are much better than the Peanut version!)   Thanks for posting the GooGoo Clusters Website. It seems that Cracker Barrel and Tractor Supply both keep them in stock !!

post edited by mayor al - 2012/01/01 08:05:21
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 09:45:43
Poverty Pete

If she rents one she'll have to use her own credit card.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 15:23:03
wanderingjew

I am not sure how priceline works.  I looked at their website and went through the serioes of options.  I wanted a 4 star hotel either at downtown or around Opryland and I bid $50.00.  I doubt if I would get that but if you don't go , you don't get.  I was afraid to proceed because they wanted my credit card #.  So I stopped.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 15:54:41
mayor al

Sheesch, Foodie, You sound like my Mom giving me a 'do list' for our Summer trips !  Where is "Don't forget your mittons!!" (or, in my World, "Don't forget to take your pills!!" )

BTW, The Stuckey's in Indiana and Illinois both claim they can no long get Goo-Goo Clusters ! They have always been our source for those treats. (The Pecan version are much better than the Peanut version!)   Thanks for posting the GooGoo Clusters Website. It seems that Cracker Barrel and Tractor Supply both keep them in stock !!

Goo Goo just went thru a reorganization recently. Seems they lost their way for a while. Hopefully, they have their act together again.
Just don't want our RF brethren to miss out on all the wonderful stuff Nashville has to offer. One of my favorite towns!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 16:01:36
A friend of mine had a meeting at the Opryland Hotel in eqrly November when they were putting up their Christmas decorations.  It was beautiful but they had the Goo Goo Clusters there for 0.75 and as Al suggested, I got the pecan one.  Outstanding.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 18:35:59
Sundancer7

wanderingjew

I am not sure how priceline works.  I looked at their website and went through the serioes of options.  I wanted a 4 star hotel either at downtown or around Opryland and I bid $50.00.  I doubt if I would get that but if you don't go , you don't get.  I was afraid to proceed because they wanted my credit card #.  So I stopped.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul- 

They do take your credit card. You can pay the additional $5 insurance fee per day if an unforseeable event occurs (such as weather or illness) . However if you ask for a 4 star hotel they won't short change you and give you a 1, 2 or 3 star. If your bid is rejected then your credit card is not charged but you have to wait a full 24 hours before you can bid again unless you change the star rating or location or both.
Poverty Pete
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 18:51:52
Al, I'm not sure I'll recognize Lisa after all this time. Do you have a photo from the first glee club meeting, that might jar my memory?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 18:57:47
WJ:  thanks for your advice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/01 21:19:59
Poverty Pete,
  Yeah the famous photo of the first RF Meeting on Superbowl Sunday of 2004 in Rancho Cucamonga, CA does indeed still exist.
Out of respect for the Matronly Lady in the photo I will not post it unless she, or the Curmedgeon request that I do.
Here's one with a different dance partner...but safer than the one you requested.
Yeah that was at the 2004 SoCal gathering, before we learned to sing!

BTW PP be careful what you wish for, both parties are know to be armed when they travel.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 00:56:21
Sundancer7
wanderingjew

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

They request a credit card primarily to keep "Window Shoppers" to a minimum. If you give them a card the assumption is that you are at least partially serious about renting a room.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 08:14:01
The test shows up after I post it, but other than that, every time I check Roadfood the last post that shows up is one from WJ to Sundancer explaining how Priceline works regarding credit cards, and it says it wsas posted two minutes ago.

Three tests deleted. Maybe we can work this out somehow. Be Patient.
post edited by mayor al - 2012/01/02 13:43:06
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 08:58:59
WJ:  I went through the priceline hoops.  I read that when you request a specific quality and a price, enter your credit card, once you do that, they charge you??  I do not think they would accept my bid as I bid $50.00 for a four star.  I backed off when I read that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 09:10:44
Sundancer7

WJ:  I went through the priceline hoops.  I read that when you request a specific quality and a price, enter your credit card, once you do that, they charge you??  I do not think they would accept my bid as I bid $50.00 for a four star.  I backed off when I read that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul,

They will only charge you IF your bid is accepted- in that case you will have a 4 star hotel to stay at in Nashville
but keep in mind once they charge your card you are committed whether you stay or not (unless you pay the $5 insurance fee and cancel for applicable reasons ie illness, catastrophic weather event, loss of job)
They will NOT charge you if your bid is rejected, however you will have to wait 24 hours before you can bid again.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 16:14:33
While it is true that lleechef did get a new Ruger for Christmas, she will not be carrying, nor will I, in Nashville.

By the way Al, matronly? You can be thankful she won't be carrying once she's read that.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/01/02 16:20:09
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 17:14:36
Michael:  Al's definition of mature and dignified sounds pretty good for me.  No need to pack for that.

It will be really great to meet another two roadfood folks that I have never met but it seems that I have known them for a long time.

http://www.definitions.net/definition/matronly

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/02 20:28:03
I'll try to come up with a more formal list, but at the moment, I think the cities best chicken is coming out of 400 degrees, and I have long thought that the best fish is to be found at East Side. We can get a good pimiento cheese at either Merridee's or possibly Henpeck, and I have a secret burger and hot dog joint, ttat I'm not yet willing to divulge.  I'also have a legal moonshiner in mind, a German pastry shop, A Mexican popcicle store that I know Meriton just LOVES, and an Asian noodle shop that doesn't belong anywhere within 1000 miles of Nashville.  I'm open for suggestions.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/03 06:00:28
Pete,
    That sounds like a great bunch of options !  I like the idea of a visit to Knock'em Hill BBQ, but am concerned that the ride out and back on Saturday might really cut into the 'mutiple stop' list your building. What do you think?  How far out of town is Martins BBQ (time-wise)?
Will a Pancake Breakfast relatively early Saturday morning be "overkill" to the 'Sampling convoy' that same morning?
post edited by mayor al - 2012/01/03 06:02:08
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:GLEE CLUB MEET & EAT, FEB. 18&19. NASHVILLE 2012/01/03 21:20:49
The ride out to Knockum Hill is about a 1 to 1 1/4 an hour from Nashville.  They also can close in the middle of a Saturday afternoon (as Poverty Pete and I discovered a few years ago).  If you're going to go there, I'd go on a Friday or not at all.  There's too many places to eat in Nashville.  And believe me, once you've tried to eat one of Knockum Hill's pork chops, it's doubtful you'd have room for anything else.  My suggestion: go on a Friday (maybe for lunch) or not at all.

post edited by Louis - 2012/01/03 21:22:21
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12