GMO Sweet Corn

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2033
2008/09/08 12:33:26 (permalink)

GMO Sweet Corn

Monsanto changed corn growing over the last 30 years or so. (I'm talking field corn here, the kind they feed to cows and use to make ethanol) First they commercialized Roundup (tm) a new class of weed killer. Then they invented corn that was not hurt by Roundup, and then corn that resisted earworms. In theory it is cheaper to grow corn now, but the expensive seed lets Monsanto shareholders share in the farmer's gain. That said, GMO seed is very popular.

Compared to field corn, sweet corn is a small market, so it took longer for the GMO biz to target sweet corn. A few years ago, you had some ear worms in your corn, or you sprayed. Today, you have another option..........you can plant a sweet corn that is poison to earworms, but which is still fine for people to eat.

I don't spray, so I have some ears with worms. The wormy ears get put aside, and are saved for the sheep. That situation is changing. I have had people ASK for ears with worms. They theorize that wormy ears are non GMO corn. What is next????? A GMO corn designed to ATTRACT ear worms?????

20 Replies Related Threads

Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/11 19:15:08 (permalink)
    Frankenfood - it's everywhere...the scariest part is never knowing if you're eating it or not...
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/11 19:34:15 (permalink)
    I love GMO and hate it as well. The GMO I hate is Genetically Modified Organisms. The GMO I love is God Made Only. Sooner or later Monsanto will figure out their arms are too short to box with God. I just hope it is not too late for the human race.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/11 19:55:19 (permalink)
    One of my grandmothers wouldn't eat sweet corn if at least some of the ears didn't have worms. Her theory was if it wasn't good enough for the worms she didn't want any either.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 00:33:01 (permalink)
    What do you do? pick the worms off, yuck. if i was shucking corne and found 1 worm, that sucker would be in the cack yard for the birs and squirelz!
    Did she just eat the boiled worms for extra bonus protine! Again Yuck!
    britt
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 01:15:16 (permalink)
    Hybrids designed for resistance is one thing (developed by cross pollination of several varieties). But that Frankenfood (GM) has to go. Good example today is to look at how many people are going back to heirloom tomatoes. With all these new modified veggies and animals, it may look good, but when it comes to taste is another thing.. That, and not knowing what these new cellular (DNA) structures can do to us. They're still decades off from knowing the facts, and I don't want any part of being the governments guinea pig.
    I don't need the worm, but if it's there, so be it. Mother Nature putting her stamp of approval on the product.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 03:14:19 (permalink)
    Tmiles is a "real" farmer..
    And I think that we should listen to what he has to say.!!!!
    I am sure most of us, including me, have no real clue as to what he is saying, but if he posted it, I think it is significant.
    tmiles
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 10:28:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brittneal

What do you do? pick the worms off, yuck. if i was shucking corne and found 1 worm, that sucker would be in the cack yard for the birs and squirelz!
    Did she just eat the boiled worms for extra bonus protine! Again Yuck!
    britt

When I was a kid, we used to joke that you paid for the corn, but the meat was free" />" /> Jokes aside, just peel the corn and throw the worms away........then eat around or cut off the worm eaten part. It is not yuck at all, but lots of people feel that way.. There are 2 types of worms here in Massachusetts (plus subtypes, but this is not an entomoligy lesson). The "borers" overwinter in old stalks. Crop rotation keeps them at bay. The "earworm" moths migrate up from the south each summer and arrive later, just in time to damage the "main" crop. They are the ones that you find at the tip of the ear. Those in the know don't worry about them. Just cut off the tip, and cook as usual. Most people hate them. When I farmed full time I sprayed for the earworms every few days. mostly with Lannate (tm), a potentially dangerous, professional use only, pesticide. Lannate, when used as directed, is useful and safe.

Now that I farm part time, I don't spray. I let my professional pesticide license lapse,years ago, and I don't plan to renew it. My early corn was worm free, but my mid season and later sweet corn has at least one worm in most ears.
    tmiles
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 10:39:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Hybrids designed for resistance is one thing (developed by cross pollination of several varieties). But that Frankenfood (GM) has to go. Good example today is to look at how many people are going back to heirloom tomatoes..........

A lot of so called "heirlooms" are not." /> Modern hybrids such as "Conestoga", "Grandmas Pick", and "Fooler" are designed to "look" like heirlooms, but are, in fact, modern hybrids. Heirlooms are hard to grow, and a lot of my plants, this year, didn't produce any saleable fruit. After a slow start, my modern hybrids produced nicely. At farmers markets, I find buyers ask about heirlooms, but they BUY good looking hybrids. Maybe I should try some of the modern "look alikes" next year.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1858
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 11:06:20 (permalink)
    If we're going to be honest with ourselves, all corn is a GMO. It has been selectively crossbred for traits since the native americans started selectively planting it. The initial plant modern corn came from looked nothing like modern corn, heirlooms included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

From the natural state of what it once was, to everything grown today, it's GM-ed to be unrecognizeable.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. I think people just differentiate the speed at which it is happenening now, and the resistance modifications that happen a 1000 times faster than farmers were already doing.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 12:08:56 (permalink)
    When I was a kid we used to play ball in summer next to a huge growht of field corn. Boy that stuff was good eaten cold right off the stalk while hiding in the field.

Years later I introduced my Goody-Two-Shoes () wife to the joys of stealing and consuming on the spot ears of field corn. It's even better than cooked sweet corn. The stealing makes it all the sweeter.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1858
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 12:12:15 (permalink)
    There was a fielc across from out house that rotated between popcorn and soybeans year to year. The popcorn years we'd walk the file after harvest and pick up stray ears off the ground, shell them off the ear, and we would litterally fill up 5 gal drywall buckets full of popcorn. 2-3 of those on popcorn years. Man that was hard on your thumb. But gowing up we ate as much free popcorn as we wanted.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 12:19:16 (permalink)
    That free corn, popped or not, is always going to be the best.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/12 12:24:29 (permalink)
    Toad, We bought a corn shucker at an old farm auction for a couple of bucks and would glean the field corn leavings after the huge picking machines would 'skip thru' the fields near us. We filled a couple of trash cans with those ears, then let the kids crank the hand shucker that stripped the corn off the cob. At the time we had some chickens and that fed them most of the winter. This was back in the 80's...I have no idea what we did with that shucker in the moves since.

Re- The wormy Sweet Corn. A lot of the u-pick corn we got this season from a neighbor had some worms in it. He was disabled by a work injury early in the season and did not spray or treat the corn as he usually does. We shucked the ears in groups of sixty to a hundred ears, taking the time to cut off the wormy ends when they showed up. We are enjoying the results of our preservation of that wonderful corn now and have about 25 packages to carry us into the fall.
    tmiles
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/15 16:15:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WarToad

If we're going to be honest with ourselves, all corn is a GMO. It has been selectively crossbred for traits since the native americans started selectively planting it. The initial plant modern corn came from looked nothing like modern corn, heirlooms included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

From the natural state of what it once was, to everything grown today, it's GM-ed to be unrecognizeable.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. I think people just differentiate the speed at which it is happenening now, and the resistance modifications that happen a 1000 times faster than farmers were already doing.

You are only partly right. Natural hybrids have been around from the beginning of life on earth,and man has been helping it along for 1000s of years, but GMO pushes the process. In the case of the subject sweet corn and the way it kills worms, it was done by splicing a gene from Bacillus thuringgenis into the corn gene. Bt has long been used as a spray, but actually growing it in the corn is fairly new. www.rogersadvantage.com/products/corn_Bugsout.asp

But....back to the orig subj, it was interesting to me that educated people would look for worms, just to be sure that the corn is not GMOed
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/15 16:59:30 (permalink)
    Since the worms are vegetarians, are the worms edible? I will bet Zimern would try them.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: GMO Sweet Corn 2008/09/16 19:13:08 (permalink)
    To paraphrase an old Bob Dylan song (Maggie's Farm). I aint gonna buy from Monsanto's farm no more! That is, if I had a choice, but I don't because Monsanto and friends have made sure that GMO corn is stealth corn that cannot be labeled as such in the marketplace by law.

GMO may be convenient for farmers, but it does turn the marketplace on its head. Consumer demand should be the driving force behind all markets, but when huge corporations conspire with paid politicians to intentionally blind consumers, it is no longer a fair marketplace. It is no marketplace at all, fair or not. It is corporate tyranny at its worst.

To get the idea, imagine if the scam artists in NYC with their counterfeit goods were protected by law instead of pursued by law.The $10 Rolex sold on a blanket would be declared a real Rolex by law because it says Rolex and looks like a Rolex. The real Rolex company would have no right to complain and neither would the consumer. By corrupt law it would be declared a real Rolex because it looks identical.

You better believe we are all living on Maggie's farm these days. The question is, do you want to live on Maggie's farm or not?
    dgracie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:GMO Sweet Corn 2010/02/09 11:33:30 (permalink)
    The problem with GMOs is that Monsanto and others have patented their "organisms."  Then they have convinced the FDA that their patented organisms are the "same" as natural ones. 

They can't have it both ways.  If an organism is truly elgible for a patent, the public needs to know whether the food they buy is from one of these.  If they are the "same" as natural ones, then no patent is warranted and farmers should be able to save their seed. 

Let's write our congressmen about this.  I already have.
    post edited by dgracie - 2010/02/09 11:44:26
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:GMO Sweet Corn 2010/02/09 12:53:44 (permalink)

"Let's write our congressmen about this.  I already have."

To my friend from the Jayhawk State----

I am pretty sure my Congressman...and his entire staff,  cannot read. They seem to get all the information they use 'orally' ! Considering I live in the 9th District in the Hoosier State, which produces A LOT of AG, and especially CORN-AG crops, The loud voices here that seem to have the attention of that Congressman and his staff are those of the corporate giants that control crop production.

We pluck the worms off our Sweet Corn from our garden and do the best we can not to get runover each harvest season by the 12 row corn pickers traveling down our "8 row wide country road".
    AliceWert
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:GMO Sweet Corn 2011/04/14 01:11:05 (permalink)
    I don’t really like GMO (genetically modified organism) food. We use it now, and its fine, but what’s going to be after 20 years or after 40? We don’t even know, and we can’t assume anything. Some times GMO helps like with Africa, to get more food, but THAT GMO is not healthy!! Insects don’t like GMO, how could we? That means they found something dangerous. I’m against that. We should try to stop, till we knew exactly what Genetically Modified Organisms are.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:GMO Sweet Corn 2011/04/14 05:53:27 (permalink)
    Bring it on.  I love the idea of GMO food.  I'm not a superstitious luddite.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1