The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 4:18 PM (permalink)
Owners of portable or automobile GPS units will be excited to know we just released support for POI (Points of Interest) files with all the Roadfood restaurants we reviewed on the site. Once installed, you will be alerted whenever you come within a certain proximity of a terrific Roadfood meal. Check your owners guidebook to see if they support the feature (many of the newer ones do), and then download the appropriate files.

Roadfood Insider Subscribers can access these files on the “Map” section of the web site. Everyone else can demo a limited version of the feature by clicking on one of the links:

Download Garmin POI:
http://www.roadfood.com/xml/RoadfoodGarminPOI.csv

Download .GPX POI:
http://www.roadfood.com/xml/DownloadGPX.aspx

Download .CSV POI:
http://www.roadfood.com/xml/RoadfoodPOI.csv

If you are not sure which file to use, then try importing with the ".GPX" file. It is usually supported (or easily convertible) by many of the popular brands.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
    RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 4:33 PM (permalink)
    I hope it works with my new Magellan I received for Christmas.

Michael Stern

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 6:53 PM (permalink)
      Stephen;

I've been using the POIs with a Garmin we brought with us to Oregon, and it's awesome. Only problem I've encountered that the voice inside the GPS pronounced Nick's Coney Island as "Nick's Coney Iceland."

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
        RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 7:30 PM (permalink)
        GPS units with Text To Speech (like yours) can really botch up some pronunciations. Still, the technology truly amazes me.

Sundancer7

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 7:52 PM (permalink)
          GPS technology really amazes me. I had one on my boat and it would get me back to my dock in total fog. I did not have radar so I still had to be on alert for other traffic in fog. I came in one morning with a total fogged in condition. It was very hairy as I could not see s---. I was amazed when I arrived looking directly at my lift only a few feet away. Total relief and amazement.

Stephen, great job on this upgrade . It will be fun driving down interstate or whatever and hearing a prompt from the unit advising a safe U turn.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Drewmcdan1

• Total Posts: 42
            RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/2/07 10:11 PM (permalink)
            Stephen,

Thanks. Unfortunately, my OEM GPS from Honda won't allow an import like this. [code][/code] I was able to use the CSV file to import into two mapping programs that I use, Streets and Trips and Delorme's Street Atlas 2007 plus. The Street Atlas program can also import the GPX file into Street Atlas program, but requires a little more work, but may be worth the work, as I can add it as a draw layer over the Maps. I've got a project to work on. This will be useful when I'm traveling to check out somewhere new to eat in the area I'm traveling. Thanks!

For others looking to import the CSV file: The first field is longitude, the second field is latitude, and the third is the Name. The reason I'm mentioning this, is the two map programs above, the latitude is displayed first, and longitude is displayed second as options. If you don't reverse them, you'll be displaying your roadfood POIs in the Indian Ocean.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Sat, 02/3/07 11:46 AM (permalink)
              Seems awesome. This might be a deciding factor to get me to spring for a GPS.

vmarinoRoad

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Mon, 02/5/07 2:29 PM (permalink)
                Stephen,

When trying to download the POI files, I noticed that the Garmin
                and CSV file are both named RoadfoodPOI.CSV. Are they the same files?

Vince

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Mon, 02/5/07 5:11 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by vmarinoRoad

Stephen,

When trying to download the POI files, I noticed that the Garmin
                  and CSV file are both named RoadfoodPOI.CSV. Are they the same files?

Vince
                  They are the same files.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                    RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Mon, 02/5/07 7:24 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.comSeems awesome. This might be a deciding factor to get me to spring for a GPS.
                    You might consider renting one. Often, the costs of rental are eaten when you decide to buy one by the merchant. I know this is true at Gander Mountain stores.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                      RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Tue, 02/6/07 7:27 AM (permalink)

I love my Garmin C330. It really is a miracle device. I have downloaded the file for my GPS and I am reading a boatload of restaurants listed. Can I hook up my GPS by way of the USB port and will things go properly? I'm dumber than I look. What is my next move?

I live in fear of technology, as it loves to befuddle me. I have finally bought a Sandisk card reader for my digital camera, yet I can't send pictures to Mom. I have a variety of programs for this camera that will not let me do things without an 'error report'.
                      Very shortly, you can expect to hear from me as to how can I transfer pictures to this site. I know -that-topic has been covered before, so I will try to find out what to do before I start whining.

===GPS units with Text To Speech (like yours) can really botch up some pronunciations. Still, the technology truly amazes me.===

I use the British voice for my GPS. I call it Emma Peel.... She sounds so civilized and if there is a mispronunciation, it is only due to the fact that we are separated by a common language. British or not, she sure knows where all the pizza places are. I live in Connecticut but I can drive directly to a White Castle in Wisconsin. That address is listed....

mark

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                        RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Tue, 02/6/07 7:39 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Drewmcdan1

Stephen,

I was able to use the CSV file to import into two mapping programs that I use, Streets and Trips and Delorme's Street Atlas 2007 plus.

Drew, would you mind providing a little more information on how to use this with Delorme's Street Atlas? I cannot figure out how to import the csv. Thanks.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                          RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 02/7/07 8:52 PM (permalink)
                          I've got a fairly new Garmin, but I'm not sure how to download the info into my GPS unit. Can anyone help me?

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                            RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 02/7/07 9:13 PM (permalink)
                            You might want to check out the forums at gpspassion.com they cover poi loading as well as many other topics for GPS users. A great resource both for the GPS novice and experienced user.

quote:
                            Originally posted by rbpalmer

I've got a fairly new Garmin, but I'm not sure how to download the info into my GPS unit. Can anyone help me?

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                              RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/8/07 8:46 AM (permalink)
                              Thanks. I will.

Big Ugly Mich

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/8/07 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by C Turner JoyDrew, would you mind providing a little more information on how to use this with Delorme's Street Atlas? I cannot figure out how to import the csv. Thanks.
                                You should be able to import it to an SD card and use that in your GPS system. Admittedly, I'm just guessing. I'm exploring using GPS software in a Palm Pilot, with minimal success.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                  RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/9/07 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                  Hello,

I answered you over on the gpspassion forum but in case you look here first. You need the poiloader free software from Garmin. Here's the link.
                                  http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

Charlie

quote:
                                  Originally posted by rbpalmer

Thanks. I will.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                    RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Fri, 02/9/07 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                    Can anyone tell me if I can download one of these on a 2006 Mercedes-Benz
                                    factory in-dash nav system?

Drewmcdan1

• Total Posts: 42
                                      RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Sat, 02/10/07 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Drew, would you mind providing a little more information on how to use this with Delorme's Street Atlas? I cannot figure out how to import the csv. Thanks.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was away from the PC that has the Delorme software on it. I don’t use Delorme as my primary mapping software (I use Streets and Trips) so I’m not familiar with all of the bells and whistles. I use it primarily to plot vacations by merging GPS data from their Blue Logger GPS, with their picture taking utility and creating a map of sites visited.

To Import a Database (from the Delorme Street Atlas 2007 help file with comments)
                                      Use the following steps to import a database into the current Map File.
                                      1. Click the XData tab to open the XData dialog area. Any dataset(s) included in the current Map File display(s) under Available Datasets.
                                      Note: A check mark in a check box indicates that the dataset is being displayed on the map. Clear the check box to hide the dataset's symbols on the map.
                                      2. Click Import to open the Import Wizard.
                                      3. On the Select Data Source screen, click Data Source to locate and select the desired file from the Open dialog box and then click Next.
                                      Note: If your file is not available in the directory as expected, you may need to change the file type in the Files of Type drop-down list.
                                      4. If your data source is a .csv or .txt file, complete this step. If not, proceed to step 5.
                                      The Select Schema screen displays. Verify how the data displays in the columns. If it is not displaying correctly, under Schema Type, select the option which separates your data into the appropriate columns. If your first row is not a header row, clear the First Row is Header check box. Click Next. The Assign Field Types screen displays

*****Follow the directions in my previous post for the schema. There is no header info in the CSV file provided.

Notes:
                                      • Select Other under Schema Type to use a non-standard file schema definition. You can then select any combination of Tab, Space, Comma, and Other. If you select Other under Delimiter, type the character(s) that separate your data in the text entry box.
                                      • The First Row is Header check box is selected by default. The program attempts to automatically assign field names based on the data in the first row.
                                      5. Select which column you want to display as a label on the map using the available radio buttons.
                                      Note: You can clear a selection to have no label displayed on the map.
                                      6. Click the Assignment header for each column and select the appropriate field option from the shortcut menu. The Status text box indicates how your data will be geoplaced on the map.
                                      7. Select how you want to locate your field information (street address or ZIP/Postal Code).
                                      Note: The available Locate By options are based on which fields have been assigned to the columns.
                                      8. Click Next. The Select Data Symbol screen displays.
                                      9. Under Match Status, click Lat/Lon, Street Name, Area, or ZIP/Postal Center and then select the unique symbol and text properties you want to display for each match status. Assigning different symbols/text to your records based on match status shows a visual representation on the map of which records in your dataset were geoplaced exactly, only by street name, only by area, or only by ZIP/Postal Center.
                                      OR
                                      Under Match Status, select the Use the same symbol/text for all categories check box to identify all of your records on the map using the same symbol (without taking match status into consideration).
                                      Note: Click Edit to use XSym to create a new symbol or edit an existing symbol. For more information, see topics listed under Custom Symbols in the Draw section of this Help file.
                                      10. Click Next. The Data Options screen displays.
                                      11. Type the desired name for the dataset along with any additional identifying comments. The date and time of creation are automatically recorded.
                                      12. Click Finish. A progress bar displays with the status of matched records. When the import process is complete, the dialog box automatically closes, the dataset name displays in the Available Datasets list, and the symbol you chose displays on the map for every record which was geolocated.
                                      Note: Datasets have .dds extensions and are saved to C:\DeLorme Docs\Datasets by default.

Big Ugly Mich

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Sat, 02/10/07 6:44 PM (permalink)
                                        One thing I've used, since I'm too cheap thrifty to buy a full size GPS, is Yahoo Maps, at http://maps.yahoo.com What I'll get is the option to choose all houses of worship, department stores, bars, etc. and restaurants along the way, which has come in handy many times.

DeeRaymond

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/15/07 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

<snip>....
                                          For others looking to import the CSV file: The first field is longitude, the second field is latitude, and the third is the Name. The reason I'm mentioning this, is the two map programs above, the latitude is displayed first, and longitude is displayed second as options. If you don't reverse them, you'll be displaying your roadfood POIs in the Indian Ocean.

Hmmm....how would I go about reversing the latitude and longitude so that I could import it into Street Atlas?

Thanks,

Dee in FL

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/15/07 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by DeeRaymond

quote:

<snip>....

Hmmm....how would I go about reversing the latitude and longitude so that I could import it into Street Atlas?

Thanks,

Dee in FL
                                            I can do this pretty easily. Let me code something together.

naragonl

• Total Posts: 2
                                              RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/15/07 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                              Hi,
                                              Just a question on the number of restaurants within the GPS data file.
                                              The OP (original poster) said:
                                              Owners of portable or automobile GPS units will be excited to know we just released support for POI (Points of Interest) files with all the Roadfood restaurants we reviewed on the site.

Just a for instance I can not find Rutt's Hut in New jersey or several other hot dog places. Hence my question, Is this a partial listing of Roadfood restaurants that will be updated periodically or should I be seeing ALL.

Please don't take this as anything but greatful for the data in the file. Thanks to those involved.

naragonl

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/15/07 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Geeze, I should have read closer, I only downloaded the demo version, so I guess I answered my own ?

RTFM

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                                                  RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 02/15/07 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  [brSorry for not responding sooner, but I was away from the PC that has the Delorme software on it. <snip>

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

sandisue

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 03/21/07 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                                    does the voice tell you when u r near a place???? how do you know??? sandi

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 03/21/07 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by sandisue

does the voice tell you when u r near a place???? how do you know??? sandi
                                                      It depends on the GPS, but all of the will alert you visually.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                                        • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
                                                        RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 03/21/07 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        Do you have information about which OEM systems will accommodate this? Lexus LX (05)? Honda Pilot (03)?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Wed, 03/21/07 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Hillbilly

Do you have information about which OEM systems will accommodate this? Lexus LX (05)? Honda Pilot (03)?
                                                          I am not sure, but find out which POI format it supports, and then you can use GPS Babel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/) to convert our files to the one you need.

Feel free to play with our samples.

buffetbuster

RE: GPS – Roadfood.com Points of Interest Thu, 03/22/07 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                                            I just received my Garmin Nuvi 350 earlier in the week. This morning, we had a successful download of the Roadfood Points of Interest....it was surprisingly very easy. I can't wait to try it out on the road!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com