GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE

Author
DOOWOPMAN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/09/25 22:04:20 (permalink)

GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE

In the early 1960’s I frequented a huge fast food place on a corner in Manhattan, New York, of 6th Avenue and 42nd Street (or close by), called “Grant’s”
I have searched for many years for a recipe for their mustard, which was the best that I’ve ever had. The hot dogs were 15 cents each or two for 25 cents. The dogs were similar to what I now get as a Nathan’s “natural casing” hot dog but the mustard was like no other. They left the mustard in a large (5 gallon, I think) crock with a wooden spoon to dispense it. The 12 cent french fries were great as well. Love to hear from anyone with info. Thanks.
Doowopman

19 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1597
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2006/09/27 19:23:43 (permalink)
    I do remember Grant's on trips to The City (that's what we kids in Brooklyn called Manhattan)with my dad, he'd always take me there. Probably around the early 60's also. I remember how great the hot dogs were, but sorry, I don't remember anything about the mustard. I do remember my dad would always get a Piels Beer (didn't they have a big Piels sign out front? I can almost picture it). He wasn't a big beer drinker, but he would always mention how cold and fresh the beer was there.

Thanks for the memories.
    beerbaron
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/10 17:15:58 (permalink)
    Grant's was one of the largest sellers of Piels Beer. That's why it tasted so good there. I walked in one day in 1973 and approached the bar. The bartender immediately drew me a beer-a ten-ounce glass for 35 cents. No words passed. Had a couple more and they really tasted great!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/11 13:47:08 (permalink)
    My recollection of Grant's Cafeteria is that it was on the south side of 42nd Street just west of 7th Avenue, the famous movie theater block. So, it would have had a street address of between 210 and 220 West 42nd Street. Most of those places bought their mustards. Most of those firms that made foodservice mustard for the local restaurants either closed down or were bought out. I doubt the owners of Grant's knew what the formula was themselves. However, sitting in those earthenware crocks changed the flavor profile of the mustard from that of just out of the jar.

A big provider of foodservice mustard was Baker Brands, which manufactured it on East 91st Street in Manhattan in space now occupied by the gourmet shop called The Vinegar Factory. Baker was bought by Gold's;
    http://www.goldshorseradish.com
    One other long time provider with premises still in New York City is A. Bauer's:
    http://www.abauersmustard.com/
    As a kid, I saw hot dog push cart vendors pour mustard out of gallon glass jars into a partition of their carts. But the names on the jars escapes me. Those firms were small businesses and are all out of business, anyway. Much of the foodservice mustard found here today is made by Plochman's, in addition to Gulden's, Gold's and to a smaller extent Bauer's. Gold's also makes the Nathan's Famous in both the original and in a new spicy brown version.

I don't really think you are interested in blending your own mustard. So you may want to try Gold's Deli Mustard in retail packages. It is the closest I have found to what those restaurants put out on the counters. Gold's and Nathan's mustard's are inexpensive; $2.00 a jar; as low as a dollar on sale or in the dollar stores. Both Gold's and A. Bauer's mustards can be bought off their websites.

David_NYC
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/11 23:26:12 (permalink)
    The label of my 16 ounce jar of Gold's Deli Mustard (purchased at Jack's 99 Cent Store down on Herald Square) lists the ingredients as: Select mustard seeds, vinegar, salt, tumeric and spices. So does the label of Nathan's Famous Coney Island Deli Style mustard (also a Gold product). So do the labels of most of the mustards in my regrigerator. Its all in the type of mustard seed they use and the spices used.

Besides Gold's Baker line of food service mustard, Supreme Oil Company sells six different types of food service mustard under their Admiration brand. They are Salad, Deli, Dusseldorf, Dijon, Gold n' Spicy and Prepared mustard with Bran. Unless Grant's did prepare their own mustard, added horeseradish, or were wise guys and blended two or more types of foodservice mustard, I think this list narrows down the possibilities of what they used.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/12 00:17:45 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, Central Market here in Dallas sells Bauer's mustard. I'll have to try it. They also sell, Sabrett mustard and Plochman's too. And of course, BA-TEMPTE as well. I keep all three of those brands in the house so I guess one more brand won't hurt.
    I don't think I've ever seen Gold's deli mustard here but, I do see Gold's horseradish sauce. With beet juice, of course.

One thing about Plochmans, a (plastic) jar is only $1.89 here. Go figure.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/12 06:52:03 (permalink)
    Admiration Deli Mustard is my favorite brown mustard. I like it on beef dogs. It's used at Jimmy Buff's and most places that serve Italian Hot Dogs. It was the brand used by Syd's.

Gold's Dusseldorf mustard is excellent on beef/pork dogs in my opinion. This particular mustard is served at the Galloping Hill Inn, Rutt's Hut and others.

David NYC names Supreme Oil Company as the makers of Admiration Brand. Everything with this label is exceptional. They make mustard, salad dressing, other condiments and various oils that are used by hot dog joints. Buff's uses their soybean oil. Other places that fry with peanut oil use Admiration. Five Guys fries their delicious french fries in this oil. Admiration mayonnaise is far superior to any other brand including Hellmans. It has a unique tangy flavor. I first noticed its quality when eating a cheeseburger from a lunch truck. I knew it was not Hellmans or a common store brand. I found out it was Admiration. I went and bought a small container. You can buy their products at Karis, the food store across the street from and owned by Best Provisions on Jeliff and Avon Ave. in Newark.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/12 09:37:20 (permalink)
    I would love to try some of the "Admiration" products but, I don't think they are available in the Dallas area.
    I'll "Google" them and see. Thanks for the tip, John.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/12 09:50:06 (permalink)
    There was a cafeteria-stle restaurant, Grant's Lunch, on Market Street in Newark, N.J., years ago. Were the two establishments related?

The Bear
    ken8038
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/12 17:56:16 (permalink)
    David NYC and John, thanks for the background info on the various food service mustards. Very interesting. I will have to look for Admiration brand items including their mustard. I was to Karis one time but I really didn't have anyting in partuclar to look for. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Bauer's mustard at retail either, I'll have to look for that too.

PS: I had completely forgotten about this thread and the fact that I had posted on it. ---Ken
    David_NYC
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/13 00:24:45 (permalink)
    Ken,

King Kullen supermarkets out on Long Island and a lot of local meat markets sell 8 oz. jars of Bauer's mustard for about $2.39 in both regular and with horseradish. I have seen gallon foodservice jars in independent supermarkets or Fine Fare supermarkets which have Parade products as their house brand. It goes for about $6 a gallon.

Bauer's was always the mainstay of all the German delis where I grew up. If you went in and ordered a liverwurst sandwich, they would put on a dollop of Bauer's mustard. Heavenly.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/13 01:06:10 (permalink)
    Mmmm. A liverwurst sandwich with mustard. Hopefully on a crispy hard roll. Don't forget the sour pickle. Double yum!
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/13 08:56:14 (permalink)
    Bauer's mustard is the brand used at the Karl Ehmer's hot dog cart in Hillsdale. It is also available for sale inside the store there. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you can get it at Kocher's Meats in Ridgefield Park. Kocher's is an excellent German butcher. Their German franks are the ones served at Karl Ehmer's and sold at between 30 and 40 stores and shops including John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains. Ken, you might check John's since it is fairly close to you. They might have Bauer's. I'm fairly sure that Karis does not.
    ken8038
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/13 09:06:25 (permalink)
    Thanks John. I looked on the Bauer's website and now I recognize it, I have had that brand in the house and I'm pretty sure it was when we went to Kocher's a few years ago. I was not aware that John's carries the same brand German franks as Karl Ehmers, I loved those dogs from the Ehmer's cart. We bought steaks at Johns once just after we moved here, but we didn't think they were any better than what Costco sells for like 1/3 the price, so we haven't been back. Thanks for the info. --Ken
    David_NYC
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/14 22:56:56 (permalink)
    Those little grey cells.....another name came to me, Old Dutch Mustard Co., Inc. They used to manufacture in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn but now manufacture in New Hampshire. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see their line of food service mustards:
    http://pilgrimfoods.net/mustard.htm
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/15 00:02:08 (permalink)
    Y'all might try the [url='http://www.mustardmuseum.com/category/26']Mustard Museum.[/url] "If they don't have it, you don't need it!"
    Rick Flynn
    Natchitoches, LA
    liberté, égalité, écrevisses
    sodawater43
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2007/10/17 21:52:25 (permalink)
    I to remember Grants in Times Square(the old times square not the Disney/mickeymouse Times Square. Grants was the only place in NYC that you could get a pimento cheese sandwich.
    Gothamite
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2009/01/25 18:17:37 (permalink)
    I happened on this thread as a pin balled connection from a conversation I was having with my brother about the old Times Square we used to know back in the 50's and 60's. It was the area then of grind house movies and sleezy street theatre where all manner of oddity could be found.
    Grants was a perfect compliment to that. We were always broke so those cheap hot dogs and fries were always what we went for. The place itself was like something out of Midnight Cowboy that is filled with drifters and street people. Despite that I remember it with a lot of affection as it was always the last stop before we took the E train home to Queens .
     As this is a food site and I suppose as an antidote to nostalgia I have to report that apparently(so my brother tells me) Grants was closed because of the astronomical levels of bacteria in the food which I guess includes the beloved mustard of sainted memory.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2009/01/25 18:38:52 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

I would love to try some of the "Admiration" products but, I don't think they are available in the Dallas area.
    I'll "Google" them and see. Thanks for the tip, John.

I've used Admiration mayo for years! At Rest Depot in jersey its now about 25 dollars a case (4 gallons)
    compared to about 40-45 for Hellmans. John you are right its as good if not better for almost half price!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18445
    RE: GRANT’S HOT DOGS - TIMES SQUARE 2009/01/25 19:19:14 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

And of course, BA-TEMPTE as well.

When the Bexley Kosher Market went out of business several months ago, that ended the availability here of Batampte mustard. Kroger carries Batampe pickles, but they refuse to carry the mustard. Fortunately, I still have two jars that haven't been opened yet.
    By the way, that shutdown also ended the availability of good corned beef, pastrami, salami, chopped liver, chopped herring, hand-sliced lox, kasha varniskes -- well, I'm sure some get the idea.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1