GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES

Author
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2006/08/09 11:47:55 (permalink)

GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES

We don't get a whole lot of seafood here in the midwest, but back when I was a kid here in Southern Indiana, there was a place on Old Hwy 50 in Washington, Indiana, called Jim's Hot Fish Stand. It was all carry-out, no dining, but they always had a line. Jim served mainly Hot Fish and burgers. The hot fish were big chunks of Cod with cornmeal breading. Jim fried them up in an iron skillet, took them out and let them cool in another pan, and when you ordered, he would take the already fried piece of cod and place it in a hot skillet for only about a minute, then put it on a bun with whatever condiments were wanted. There have been many different copy restaurants of this sandwich along highway 50 from Loogootee to Vincennes, but today if you want a great hot fish sandwich, the best is at the "STOP AND SEA" ON HWY 50 in Montgomery, Indiana, which is run by Glen. Better get there before 11am or after 2pm because the lunch crowd and the carryouts may cause you to wait awhile. Are there any other restaurants that serve this type of great Cod Fish sandwich?

23 Replies Related Threads

Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/10 16:20:05 (permalink)
    I lived in Washington in '74/75, and there was a great place for carryout cod sandwiches that had huge lines for lunch too. Don't recall the name, but it was north of 50 and west of downtown in an area called "Boxtown," called that because there was a boxcar factory there, and quite a few houses in the neighborhood made outta boxcars.
    wadeb51
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/11 12:54:28 (permalink)
    It is funny to see this posted cause I just finished an article in today's Nashville paper about the best places to get a hot fish sandwich in Nashville. Nashville's hot chicken has gotten some notice over in the chicken forum, but I haven't seen anything about hot fish til now. The Nashville version is two whiting fillets in seasoned corn meal on white bread, with sweet raw onion, sour pickles, yellow mustard and hot sauce. Man, I can just imagine the crunchy goodness right now! Too bad I am at work, lol. The fish sandwich is common all throughout the South, with catfish sometimes showing up in place of whiting. Do you see it in other parts of the country much?
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/11 14:51:20 (permalink)
    captain_keevin
    Junior Burger
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/16 17:12:25 (permalink)
    Hey Gizmolito--
    I'll see if I can find out the name of the restaurant that you referred to in "Boxtown". Jim's grandson, (of Jim's Hot Fish) had a place in Vincennes for a year or two, but I believe it's gone, now. There was also a fish place way out on 7th Street in Vincennes, near Gregg Park at one time. I believe Jim, himself, may have had a place on 2nd Street in Vincennes, for awhile. I believe though the Hot Fish Sandwiches at "Stop and Sea" may be superior to them all. I think it's my favorite sandwich!
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/16 21:12:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by captain_keevin

Hey Gizmolito--
    I'll see if I can find out the name of the restaurant that you referred to in "Boxtown". Jim's grandson, (of Jim's Hot Fish) had a place in Vincennes for a year or two, but I believe it's gone, now. There was also a fish place way out on 7th Street in Vincennes, near Gregg Park at one time. I believe Jim, himself, may have had a place on 2nd Street in Vincennes, for awhile. I believe though the Hot Fish Sandwiches at "Stop and Sea" may be superior to them all. I think it's my favorite sandwich!

Thanks, buddy! After being gone from your area for 30+ years, I now go down to Vincennes for work related area meetings once a month. I'll be changing my route and stopping at STOP AND SEA on the way back for sure!

Not fish related, but for those ALL DAY meetings, what places for lunch are good in Vincennes? None of the fellow sheep will venture an opinion beyond the chains.
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/19 19:49:38 (permalink)
    Go to Pittsburgh around Lent. Nuff said.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/20 19:08:38 (permalink)
    I worked around Nashville and our business was located on Church St. There were several places around that area that sold hot fish. They were all very good and very hot.

As I recall, they all served white fish.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/21 16:41:11 (permalink)
    I agree about Pittsburgh, and wasn't even there at Lent. I had no less than five great, gigantic fish sandwiches while there, all three times the size of the bun.
    captain_keevin
    Junior Burger
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/22 13:12:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gizmolito

quote:
    Originally posted by captain_keevin

Hey Gizmolito--

Thanks, buddy! After being gone from your area for 30+ years, I now go down to Vincennes for work related area meetings once a month. I'll be changing my route and stopping at STOP AND SEA on the way back for sure!

Not fish related, but for those ALL DAY meetings, what places for lunch are good in Vincennes? None of the fellow sheep will venture an opinion beyond the chains.

Seem like "Old Vincennes" has mostly the chains, anymore, but the "White Kitchen" out on 6th Street is the oldest restaurant in town, and they serve good wide range of sandwiches and plate lunches.
    Peafections, downtown on Main street is also a good lite fare (kind of a Chick Place) with great desserts. There is a place in middle of the block between 1st and 2nd on Main Street, that has good sandwiches, soups and desserts.
    Also Montana Mike's (a Chain) out on Willow Street is decent.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/24 12:16:25 (permalink)
    I wish Poverty would post on this thread as he is a Nashvillian and he knows about hot fish sandwiches.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2301
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/24 18:31:07 (permalink)
    I hadn't seen that article until just now, but it happens that just yesterday,I had the fish sandwich at "Poe Boy's Food For the Soul" on
    Dickerson Pike. It isn't fast food. You order the fish and the owner,
    this wonderfully friendly woman, seasons it, and drops it in the fryer.
    When she asks how you want it, just say yes to everything. Everything includes raw onion, pickles, hot sauce, and LOTS of mustard, on white bread. It's a classic Nashville soul food joint, not far from Prince's.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/24 18:37:10 (permalink)
    Poverty, hot fish sandwiches must be particular to Nashville as I have not seen them in Knoxville, Chattanooga or Memphis.

I started a business in Nashville in 1976 and there were several there then and they still seem to thrive. I do not know the answer to that but I enjoyed them then and I am sure I would enjoy them now. They are simple but very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/08/31 22:16:11 (permalink)
    Yes Peafections is good so is Montana Mike's, but the little old corner stores that sure BPT'S are the best thing in Vincennes (Except my aunt and uncle of cours)
    The Lady
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/09/04 22:28:46 (permalink)
    In NYC you can get some good fried fish sammies at fish markets.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/09/04 22:33:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

In NYC you can get some good fried fish sammies at fish markets.

Where? Details, please!
    RVlifestyle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/11/07 15:30:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LegalLady

Yes Peafections is good so is Montana Mike's, but the little old corner stores that sure BPT'S are the best thing in Vincennes (Except my aunt and uncle of cours)
    The Lady

Man, are you making me hungry for a taste from home.
    BPT from McCoy's
    The Lunch menu at Dot's
    and Bobe's Pizza on 6th or Main. (I'll take either having been away for so long)

Or maybe a quick run over to Bridgeport to eat at Grays......
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/11/08 07:09:33 (permalink)
    Get those hot breaded cod fish sandwiches while you can. The new fishing regulations comming into efect in 07 are going to severly restrict the number of days at sea for our commercial fishing fleet. Since 2002 the number of days at sea went from 88 to 53, and now in 07 down to 24. This new regulation from NOAA is called framework 42, and is going to have a severe impact on the industry overall. My guess is the prices of cod and flounder will skyrocket. The goverment hopefully will also reduce the number of imports allowed to support those trying to stay in the business, but I don't see that happening. Chow Jim
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2006/11/10 11:20:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Get those hot breaded cod fish sandwiches while you can. The new fishing regulations comming into efect in 07 are going to severly restrict the number of days at sea for our commercial fishing fleet. Since 2002 the number of days at sea went from 88 to 53, and now in 07 down to 24. This new regulation from NOAA is called framework 42, and is going to have a severe impact on the industry overall. My guess is the prices of cod and flounder will skyrocket. The goverment hopefully will also reduce the number of imports allowed to support those trying to stay in the business, but I don't see that happening. Chow Jim

Jim, hadn't heard about new fishing regs from NOAA. If folks are interested, there's a nice documentary about the recent history of catch limits and personal stories of some Massachusetts fishermen coming out on some Public TV stations early next year (it's already been on RI PBS). It's called "A Fish Story." http://www.afishstory.com/
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2007/01/10 21:33:03 (permalink)
    Bolton's in Nashville makes great hot fish and hot chicken and hot pork chop. I had never had the pork chop tha tway - bone and all between two pieces of melt in your mouth fresh soft white bread smothered in mustard. Scared me the first time but then I fell in love with it.

Carolyn's also makes a good hot fish sandwich.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2007/01/14 13:05:59 (permalink)
    For you folks planning on doing the Roadfood thing in Nashville in April, they are planning a stop at a great hot fish sandwich place. That is one of the things that Nashville is known for.

I was buying the sandwich there 30 years ago and they are still going strong.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    kbohusa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2013/08/24 23:20:41 (permalink)
    Gizmolito

I lived in Washington in '74/75, and there was a great place for carryout cod sandwiches that had huge lines for lunch too. Don't recall the name, but it was north of 50 and west of downtown in an area called "Boxtown," called that because there was a boxcar factory there, and quite a few houses in the neighborhood made outta boxcars.

I think the place you are talking about was called Heinie's Hot Fish.   The owner was Mary Hinkle and it's closed now.  I found an article about a place in Evansville called Gator's Hot Fish that has her recipe.  It was a great little place and I'll always remember it for the short period of time that I lived in Washington. 

post edited by kbohusa - 2013/08/24 23:22:18
    kbohusa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2013/08/25 09:47:42 (permalink)
    I think the place in Washington was called Heinie's Hot Fish.  It was a little house or garage converted into a carryout.  Mary Hinkle was the owner and it's closed now, but there is a place in Evansville called Gator's Hot Fish House that uses her recipe!  Thanks.
    sandrew834
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:GREAT BREADED HOT FISH SANDWICHES 2013/08/26 08:55:23 (permalink)
    I love fish sandwiches and these look fantastic, well except for the tartar sauce. I'm with you on the Miracle Whip ban, but I think it should extend to pickle relish too! The cornmeal crust looks great! I also couldn't get the breading to stick without dipping the fish in beaten egg first. I'd try them again.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1