Garlic Bread

Author
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2003/06/24 01:44:47 (permalink)

Garlic Bread

I'd be interested in all advice and recipes the Roadfooders can offer on how to make perfect garlic bread. What I make is good - very good, even, but lacks the sublime perfection that I have tasted in a handful of restaurants. True bliss must be out there, and maybe some of you have touched on it - please share. The following is what I do, and it's better than what 9 out of 10 restaurants serve:

one loaf of sesame-crusted semolina bread (or any high quality Italian bread)

one stick unsalted butter

one Tbs olive oil

four fat cloves garlic, crushed

several turns freshly ground black pepper

a pinch of salt

a pinch of crushed red pepper

a pinch of oregano

a pinch of basil

carefully split loaf in half lengthwise using a serrated knife, making sure the halves are of equal thickness

place butter stick and olive oil in a small saucepan and begin melting over very low heat

add garlic and seasonings

let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes (the oil ought to keep the butter from browning)

using a pastry brush, brush garlic mixture evenly over both halves of bread

bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 12 minutes, or until as golden and crispy as you prefer

I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you how best to enjoy garlic bread, but I crave it most with homemade baked spaghetti & meatballs covered in mozzarella, and bubbling hot from the oven.

6 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 06:41:39 (permalink)
    I fell in love with a casual acquaintance's garlic bread and pestered her incessantly until I discovered her trick. Melt the butter and garlic in a large baking/casserole dish in the oven at 350 to 400. When melted and sizzling, place the split bread loaves into the pan and return it to the oven. The oven toasts the crust of the bread while the tops deep-fry in the butter.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 12:51:55 (permalink)
    Elise, that sounds like a great preparation, will try it soon. Curious though, since you actually used the term "deep-fry" exactly how high ought the butter to be in the baking dish? And is there much left over, or does it all soak into the bread? Not that leftover garlic butter would be a problem, you could always spoon it over the garlic bread or the pasta you've cooked, but I'd like to know what to expect so I know if I am doing it correctly. Would you recommend the same one stick of butter (1/4 lb) that I currently use for a long split loaf of Italian bread?
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 13:43:16 (permalink)
    I enjoy picking up a loaf of sourdough bread, slicing it in two thin halves, then lathering it up with a butter/garlic mixture (heavy on the garlic - of course). I then slap it on my grill at 400 degrees for a minute, lather another coat of garlic/butter and grill again until it turns brown. The final product is a toasty, smokey bread with a crunchy shell and soft interior.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 14:53:53 (permalink)
    Elsie - That is also a great way to roast potatoes. Melt the butter with either fresh garlic or a bunch of garlic salt (my choice), quarter potatoes and bake, tossing occasionally.

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 19:35:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

Elise, that sounds like a great preparation, will try it soon. Curious though, since you actually used the term "deep-fry" exactly how high ought the butter to be in the baking dish? And is there much left over, or does it all soak into the bread? Not that leftover garlic butter would be a problem, you could always spoon it over the garlic bread or the pasta you've cooked, but I'd like to know what to expect so I know if I am doing it correctly. Would you recommend the same one stick of butter (1/4 lb) that I currently use for a long split loaf of Italian bread?

I use 1 1/2 cubes butter for 1 loaf bread. After it's done, you sop up any remaining butter with the bread by sliding it around in the pan.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Garlic Bread 2003/06/24 19:37:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Elsie - That is also a great way to roast potatoes. Melt the butter with either fresh garlic or a bunch of garlic salt (my choice), quarter potatoes and bake, tossing occasionally.

The English call them Roasties. I boil the a little bit first and add a little olive oil to the butter to keep it from burning. I would be afraid garlic would burn cooking at 400 degrees for so long, so I haven't tried it with garlic yet.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1