The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sat, 12/20/03 5:36 PM (permalink)
Am I the only one who gets sick of dining in upscale restaurants and being offered garlic mashed potatoes? You can't fool me into thinking something is "fancy" just because you put garlic in it and hand me a big bill. I would think they could be a bit more creative. Just another pet peeve of mine.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
    RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 12:33 AM (permalink)
    I think garlic mashed potatoes are one of those annoying food trends that showed up in another thread.

I think garlic is great on pasta but doesn't suit potatoes very well.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
      RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 2:36 AM (permalink)
      And they always have peels and lumps of uncooked potato in them...I guess to make it more "homey". We never ate potato peels in my home...my mom considered them hog food.

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
        RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 4:55 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by EliseT

And they always have peels and lumps of uncooked potato in them...I guess to make it more "homey". We never ate potato peels in my home...my mom considered them hog food.

I actually happen to like well-mashed garlic potatoes with the skin still on (all those vitamins!).

Personally, I roast the garlic in their skins wrapped in baking foil in plenty of olive oil, then squeeze them out (they would've turned into a paste when done) into the potatoes, add salt, pepper and a bit of dried basil, then mash til smooth.

YUM!!!

Another favourite of mine is pesto mashed potatoes which go really REALLY well with any fish dish that requires a potato side as a carb. Blame it all on Delia Smith

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
          RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 9:15 AM (permalink)
          I like mashed potatoes with garlic as long as the garlic has been cooked first. Too many places just put in some of that minced guck from a jar. This can result in some horrible social interactions.
          Elise is really on to mention no peels in mashed potatoes. It is a sign of lazyness to not peel your spuds. All nutritious stuff is lost in the water that you pour down the drain anyway. Same goes for places that serve french fries with the skin. Lazy[|)] The skin serves as a holder for the fat from the frying.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 10:32 AM (permalink)
            I believe the bits of skins are left on to provide evidence that the potato is real and not instant.
            I like the baked skins as served as an appetizer with cheese bacon and some sour cream.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
              RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Sun, 12/21/03 2:27 PM (permalink)
              Now that's a whole different story! Of course, deep-fry anything and it's gonna be good!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6228
                RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 12/22/03 1:15 AM (permalink)
                Oh, come on, all of you chefs (and wannabe chefs out there)......put your thinking caps on. Garlic mashed, lobster mashed, crab mashed, yes, even blueberry mashed, I think I've seen them all. Never order them. Always ask if these nasty critters COME with the meal....no,....I'll have the rice or the cole slaw. Give it up. Puhleese. NO MORE GARLIC MASHED!

Make us a killer pommes Darphin that we'll be drooling for... then get really decadent and throw a lot of WILD mushrooms in there and make us want to come back for the next meal, or just maybe the accompaniament....or a wonderful potato gratin laced with loads of cream and gruyere, to accompany that lamb shank braised in carmelized onions, garlic and red wine. Let us not disgrace the noble potato any more with merely adding garlic and looking like NOBLE and INVENTIVE chefs!

lleechef, getting off her soap box now but glad she did not have to eat garlic mashed. We had "Bushie Beans". Doesn't get much better.

Someone sound the horn and wake those chefs, aka numbskulls up!!!!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                  RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 12/22/03 1:50 AM (permalink)
                  I was talked into trying garlic mashed potatoes two summers ago, in Mt. Peasant, S.C. (across the Cooper River from Charleston). I could not possibly eat this version and sent it back for something else.

It was, as someone here observed, raw, minced garlic dumped straight from a jar into the mashed potatoes. And far too much garlic at that. This mess was so inedible I thought the place a fraud and would never go back. I wish I could recall the name.

I did what I do in such a situation; I politely told the management the dish wasn't fit to eat.

Good mashed potatoes need no help. Good mashed potatoes in a restaurant, freshly made, is so rare now that discerning folks don't want them messed with.

Free the mashed potatoes!

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                    RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 12/22/03 8:36 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Jellybeans
                    I actually happen to like well-mashed garlic potatoes with the skin still on (all those vitamins!).

I second Jellybeans' sentiment, but I too, have grown tired of garlic mashed. I had them once in a restaurant (a well-known steakhouse) and decided, never again. I can make them better at home. And I did. But I've grown weary of the dish, so back to plain ol' butter mashed am I.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                      RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 12/22/03 9:51 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
                      Originally posted by Jellybeans

I second Jellybeans' sentiment, but I too, have grown tired of garlic mashed. I had them once in a restaurant (a well-known steakhouse) and decided, never again. I can make them better at home. And I did. But I've grown weary of the dish, so back to plain ol' butter mashed am I.

If you like butter, try the Jöel Robuchon recipe. It calls for 1 pound of butter to every 2 pounds of potatoes, plus 1/2 to 1 cup of cream. I think this recipe speaks for itself, in volumes.

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
                        RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 12/22/03 10:07 AM (permalink)
                        Here's the recipes I normally use for my perfect mashed potatoes (garlic optional):

Basic mashed potatoes:
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001283.asp

Mashed potatoes with three mustards (to go with meat):
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001299.asp

Aligot (mashed potatoes with garlic and cheese, french-style) and goes with rump steak:
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001152.asp

Mashed potatoes with sage and spring/green/salad onions:
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001054.asp

Fish with Pesto Mash:
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001291.asp

Green Parsley Mash (served with fish):
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001298.asp

*braces herself for a chorus of loud Ewwws and Bleeeeehs*

kittypaw

• Total Posts: 18
                          RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 1:49 PM (permalink)
                          Hm. I posted this in "Chicken Fat Heaven," but I'll post it here again.

I noticed that a steak place called the Strip on E.12th St. in NYC offers mashed potatoes with goose fat. Anyone heard of such a thing? I am very curious, but I don't think they'd give me a takeout portion.

--Valerie in NYC

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                            RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 1:52 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by kittypaw

mashed potatoes with goose fat

Mmmmmm...I'd be down with that !!

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                              RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 2:02 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

I noticed that a steak place called the Strip on E.12th St. in NYC offers mashed potatoes with goose fat. Anyone heard of such a thing? I am very curious, but I don't think they'd give me a takeout portion.

--Valerie in NYC

I haven't tried it at Strip specifically, but a variety of foods served with a side of fat (usually chicken fat, or "schmaltz") is a very common Jewish style of cooking/serving. The foods in question are usually served on the dry side, and the diner can tailor it with a little or lot of fat, depending on personal preference. Sammy's Roumanian Steak House on the Lower East Side of New York is an example of a place that does it extensively.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                                RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

--Valerie in NYC

Mmmmm! That sounds great to me.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                  RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                  Garlic mashed potatoes.....mmmmmm
                                  Pesto mashed potatoes.....mmmmmm
                                  Plain mashed potatoes with butter.....mmmmmm
                                  Skins or no skins.....mmmmm
                                  Mashed potatoes.....mmmmm

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                    RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                    I ALWAYS make my mashed potatoes Duchesse style with butter, heavy whipping cream and a dash of nutmeg, and whip with a hand mixer until they are smooth, but not thin. An added bonus is that we get big hunks of Amish creamery butter here, so it just enhances them all the more. As far as garlic mashed, I'm not crazy about them. Roasted garlic in a baked potato dish is often toothsome, but for good ol mashed, it's just overkill.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6228
                                      RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 4:21 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by clothier

On a related raw garlic note, my wife ordered pasta with a roasted garlic sauce in a local place, and she got pasta with cold olive oil and raw chopped garlic on it.

I can't tell you how fast that got sent back to the kitchen.

I would've done the same! I actually do not HATE the addition of roasted garlic to my potatoes, but NEVER RAW GARLIC!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                        RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Fri, 02/13/04 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by tsores

Garlic mashed potatoes.....mmmmmm
                                        Pesto mashed potatoes.....mmmmmm
                                        Plain mashed potatoes with butter.....mmmmmm
                                        Skins or no skins.....mmmmm
                                        Mashed potatoes.....mmmmm

gotta agree--but like alot of folks----PLEASE--roast the garlic!!! I happen to LIKE the skin left on my potatoes and i dont BOIL em I steam em so i DONT pour out all the nutrition in the skins!! So there!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                          RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 03/1/04 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                          We make ours with skin-on (red preferably), with roasted garlic, with chicken stock instead of milk or cream, and with chopped fresh basil. I make regular old normal mashed too, but you've got to have variety in life, and having said that, I never get tired of garlic....ever.

kittypaw

• Total Posts: 18
                                            RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 03/15/04 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                            Ah! Just went to the Strip Steakhouse on E. 12th St. in NYC. (I have to admit, I was curious because the sign read "Strip.") I'd finished a doctor's appointment and was HUNGRY.

The filet mignon was good, but I was really anticipating tasting the "goose fat mashed potatoes." They arrived as a small cone-like cake, a cross between mashed potatoes and hashed browns.

I think the goosefat was crumbled in the potatoes, but I couldn't see it or taste it specifically. The potatoes were rich but salty. I was disappointed.

OK - on to Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse and the shmaltz! Too bad my friends are either vegitarian lesbians or will only eat organic steak.

-Valerie

Ralph Isbill

• Total Posts: 185
                                              RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 03/15/04 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                              Call me what you will--But--potatoes mashed with plenty of real butter, cream and black pepper--is perfectionAnything you do from there it goes down hill.

Yes and please peel them.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Mon, 03/15/04 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                                Dearfolk,
                                                I've never considered garlic mashed potatoes to be representative of an "upscale" restaurant. Our local non-chain diner, The Grill (some of you will already know it), which is downtown on College Square, offers garlic mashed potatoes (skin on) with gravy as a substitute for fries on any platter. They have far more character than fries any day, although I have to admit that The Grill's fries are mighty good - if you like fries. I'll order mashed anytime, and I might just trot up there and do it right now... y'all getting this boy hungry.
                                                Returningly, Ort. Carlton in Garlic-Potatoed (in one place only that I know of) Athens, Georgia.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                  RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Thu, 10/21/04 9:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  I make a variety of mashed potatoes, but garlic is not one of them. I too am tired of this tired gimmick, like "French Vanilla", etc.

carl reitz

johnnymolson

• Total Posts: 90
                                                    • Location: Brockville, Ontario, XX
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Garlic Mashed Potatoes Thu, 10/21/04 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    I prefer dill and chives in mashed potatoes.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com