Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Garlic powder or garlic salt?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
tusti

• Total Posts: 110
Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 1:31 PM (permalink)
If you didn't have any fresh garlic and wanted to make garlic butter, which would you use, the salt or the powder.....what's the big difference?

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
    Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 2:01 PM (permalink)
    If using salted butter, powder. 

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
      Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 2:21 PM (permalink)
      The big difference is  sodium!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 2:29 PM (permalink)
        Most of our Garlic use is the granulated Garlic in oil ...in a large container from Costco.

Sometimes we may use garlic salt...but seldom the powder.

Lindseyup67

• Total Posts: 175
          Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 2:38 PM (permalink)
          My problem with the garlic salt is that by the time you use enough to get a good garlic taste, you have salt overload! I NEVER use the salt, only the powder!!

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
            Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 5:06 PM (permalink)
            garlic powder; never garlic salt!!!  that's for any/all dishes!!!

as for your question, use garlic powder regardless of whether you are using salted or unsalted butter.  and, only add a pinch of salt if using unsalted.  you want garlic butter not salty butter with a hint of garlic :)

appycamper

• Total Posts: 74
              Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 8:30 PM (permalink)
              tusti

If you didn't have any fresh garlic and wanted to make garlic butter, which would you use, the salt or the powder.....what's the big difference?

definitely powder. as others have said, the garlic salt is just too salty. you can mix the butter with olive oil and a good sea salt and get a really decent spread.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 8:50 PM (permalink)
                I strongly agree with the majority here, POWDER!

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                  Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Thu, 04/22/10 10:04 PM (permalink)
                   I use granulated garlic and granulated onion for most applications at the restaurant. I like the flavor and I don't have to worry about too much salt.
                   I also like to add a little fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese to the spread.

David O.

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                    Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 5:09 AM (permalink)
                    I have to be honest here, if faced with only garlic salt or powder to make garlic bread, I wouldn't make it. That is purely a personal preference though. The nearest I get to not using fresh garlic for things like this is using garlic puree in a tube - that keeps for a few weeks in the fridge after opening and is a decent alternative to fresh.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 8:04 AM (permalink)
                      I use fresh whenever for most everything. Wife started buying garlic salt from Penzies years ago and we do use it on garlic roasted potatoes and to season our steaks before grilling.

Foodosaurus

Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 8:19 AM (permalink)

What is the difference between Granulated and Powder?  I always thought that they were interchangeable.

NEVER GARLIC SALT!

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                          Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 8:35 AM (permalink)
                          Garlic powder has always been in our spice and herb cabinet.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
                            Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 9:07 AM (permalink)
                            MissKitty

I have to be honest here, if faced with only garlic salt or powder to make garlic bread, I wouldn't make it. That is purely a personal preference though. The nearest I get to not using fresh garlic for things like this is using garlic puree in a tube - that keeps for a few weeks in the fridge after opening and is a decent alternative to fresh.

I'm with you, but I use roasted garlic a LOT also.  If you want a milder taste and need something to blend well in a sauce roasted is the best way.  We do ours by slicing the top tips off garlic heads, save these for stock, drizzle with a very small amount of plain olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt.  The heads get wrapped in al foil tight and placed in a low oven for about 2 hrs.  You can then squeeze out the roasted garlic or serve the heads along with apps as a spread.  The roasted is also our choice for garlic butter, blends well gives a more mellowed garlic flavor.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 10:32 AM (permalink)
                              It's either granulated garlic or fresh garlic for us though we recently bought some frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joe's that I keep forgetting to try. There are 20 cubes in a package and each cube is equal to a clove. It's not a TJ brand item but Dorot brand from Israel. I really have to remember to try them.

http://www.dorot.co.il/En...D=36&CategoryID=27

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                                Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                Granulated garlic and garlic powder are just about the same although you don't want to use powder to saute as it burns easily, granulated has an additive to make it pour better

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                  Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                  Another vote for granulated...we don't have garlic salt or powder in the pantry.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9556
                                    Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 9:45 PM (permalink)
                                    I like the milder flavor of roasted garlic but find it to be a pain in the --- to make. Does anyone know of a brand of  prepared roasted Garlic available in the stores? I've never been able to find any.
                                    I also like the milder flavor of Elephant Garlic.
                                    <message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 04/23/10 9:46 PM>

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                      Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 10:20 PM (permalink)
                                      Foodbme

I like the milder flavor of roasted garlic but find it to be a pain in the --- to make. Does anyone know of a brand of  prepared roasted Garlic available in the stores? I've never been able to find any.

McCormick: http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Roasted-Garlic-19-Ounce-Plastic/dp/B001EQ5ELE

carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
                                        Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm with BD65, KL01s & CVdre: Granulated garlic or fresh garlic. In a hurry VS best case scenario
                                        CiaoMeowww 

Foodbme

Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Fri, 04/23/10 11:22 PM (permalink)
                                          6star

Foodbme

McCormick: http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Roasted-Garlic-19-Ounce-Plastic/dp/B001EQ5ELE

Thanx 6 Star, but $14 a pound + shipping is out of my league. And I wouldn't use 2#, 6 ozs. in 2 life times. I'll look for it in the stores. At least I know it exists

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                            Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                            kland01s

It's either granulated garlic or fresh garlic for us though we recently bought some frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joe's that I keep forgetting to try. There are 20 cubes in a package and each cube is equal to a clove. It's not a TJ brand item but Dorot brand from Israel. I really have to remember to try them.

http://www.dorot.co.il/En...D=36&CategoryID=27

I finally got a chance to use the Dorat garlic last night when making roasted potatoes. The little cubes pop out very easily and are very pungent! I plan on using this more often.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                              Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                              Foodosaurus

What is the difference between Granulated and Powder?  I always thought that they were interchangeable.

I believe it's the size of the particles.  Powder is finely ground, the granules are larger, and dried minced garlic has the largest pieces.

For some reason granulated garlic is much harder to find than minced garlic around here.  On occasion I make my own version by running the minced through a grinder.

Incidentally, fresh garlic is another item that's imported from China.  I always check the label for the country of origin.

Brad

MiamiDon

Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                chewingthefat

Granulated garlic and garlic powder are just about the same although you don't want to use powder to saute as it burns easily, granulated has an additive to make it pour better

Not the Flora brand that we use.  "INGREDIENTS: Pure granulated garlic"

Now the Morton Garlic salt is a bit different. (I don't know why we have this).

CONTAINS: SALT, GARLIC, SUGAR, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, CORNSTARCH, NATURAL GARLIC FLAVOR, PARSLEY, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COTTONSEED, SOYBEAN), TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL ONION FLAVOR

Guess what?  We no longer have it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17835
                                                  Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                                  You get garlic that comes with a label?

MiamiDon

Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sure.  Can't make my dry rubs with fresh.

[edited to add the missing word "dry".
                                                    <message edited by MiamiDon on Wed, 04/28/10 11:02 AM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17835
                                                      Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                                      MiamiDon

Sure.  Can't make rubs with fresh.

He said: "Incidentally, fresh garlic is another item that's imported from China.  I always check the label for the country of origin. "

I believe most of my fresh garlic comes from California, but they don't have labels on the bulbs.

Foodbme

Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Tue, 04/27/10 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        MiamiDon

SURE YOU CAN! Just chop it into very fine particles or put it thru a Garlic Press!

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                                          • Location: Surprise, AZ
                                                          Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Wed, 04/28/10 4:27 AM (permalink)
                                                          Foodbme

MiamiDon

SURE YOU CAN! Just chop it into very fine particles or put it thru a Garlic Press!

I don't like to use fresh garlic as a rub for cuts of meat that will be cooking for a long time. It tends to burn and gets an off flavor. Kind of bitter. I find that I do not have that problem with granulated garlic or onion.
                                                           Dry rubs are just that,  DRY.

JMHO

David O.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                                            • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                            Re:Garlic powder or garlic salt? Wed, 04/28/10 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                                            Michael Hoffman

He said: "Incidentally, fresh garlic is another item that's imported from China.  I always check the label for the country of origin. "

I believe most of my fresh garlic comes from California, but they don't have labels on the bulbs.

Neither does the bulk garlic at my grocery store but there are country-of-origin labels on many of the bins and shelves in the produce department.

Brad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com