The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!)

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 2:01 AM (permalink)
I stoppedin there the other night to get some of the famous Chicago Mix and some of the Macadamia CaramelCrisp. The staff was really helpful and they give out free samples before you buy. They were really cool about me taking pics of the place:

The menu at Garrett. For me, a small size is just right.

Nice rendition of a bucket of popcorn.

Outside the shop near the corner of 34th Street and 7th Avenue (close to Madison Square Garden).

Bosom Buddies: the cheese corn and CaramelCrisp side by side before mixing. It really is an addictive mix of cheesy, salty and sweet that just tastes right.

CaramelCrisp with Cashews next to CaramelCrisp with Pecans.

And my personal favorite, CaramelCrisp with Macadamias. Buttery, salty, somewhat sweet with a nice undertone of not quite burnt caramel. If it was legal to marry this popcorn, I'd invite you all to the wedding!

My Chicago Mix, staged in a bowl, ready for its close-up.

A close-up shot of the Macadamia CaramelCrisp.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
    RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 3:36 AM (permalink)
    Wow...I didn't know Garrett's had opened in NYC. I love the stuff - even if it is a little expensive.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
      RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 5:13 AM (permalink)
      What IS expensive?

buffetbuster

RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 7:41 AM (permalink)
        billyboy-
        Great pics! I'm not much of a popcorn eater myself, but Garrett's is fantastic!

I am a little surprised that you were able to take photos inside, since you would never be able to do it in Chicago. I have seen them make people get off of their cell phones while standing in the usual long line, for fear they were taking photos inside the shop!

TFitz

• Total Posts: 63
          RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 11:59 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by leethebard

What IS expensive?

Expensive is $25 for a 1 pound bucket of cheese popcorn. It is the best cheese popcorn I've had since I was a kid. In Baltimore there was a store on Saratoga St. that made cheese popcorn that burst in your mouth and this is as close to that as I have found.

The Travelin Man

RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 12:36 PM (permalink)
            quote:

What IS expensive?

I always hate when people try to keep things a secret, but the first picture is a shot of the menu board and sample sizes of the containers.

quote:
            Originally posted by buffetbuster

billyboy-
            I am a little surprised that you were able to take photos inside, since you would never be able to do it in Chicago. I have seen them make people get off of their cell phones while standing in the usual long line, for fear they were taking photos inside the shop!

Hmmm.....I wasn't even trying to be rebelious!

But, if you wait for it in my current trip report thread, I do get yelled at - literally yelled at - for taking a picture at a restaurant. Tune in next time....

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
              RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 1:37 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by TFitz

quote:

What IS expensive?

Expensive is $25 for a 1 pound bucket of cheese popcorn. It is the best cheese popcorn I've had since I was a kid. In Baltimore there was a store on Saratoga St. that made cheese popcorn that burst in your mouth and this is as close to that as I have found.

Did the store close? I can get to baltamore. I miss popcorn shops in the mall. Not the best but I'd make due with the flavors. I recently burned out my popcorn popper.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 4:08 PM (permalink)
                BB, I had my camera out after I had already ordered and asked if they would be okay with me taking pics. I've found a "bit" of sorts that helps smooth the way when I want to snap some pics. I tell them that I'm taking photos for my friends who don't live in the city and can't believe that there is such a place here (insert RF destination here: PB & Co., Pommes Frites, Rice To Riches. etc...) While it is true, I don't mention the posting them on RF part. Most people are pretty cool about it and some of the places I go to seem to get a fair number of tourists, so they're used to it. They really get hostile in Chicago if you take pics there? Wow!
                quote:
                Originally posted by buffetbuster

billyboy-
                Great pics! I'm not much of a popcorn eater myself, but Garrett's is fantastic!

buffetbuster

RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 4:47 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by The Travelin Man

But, if you wait for it in my current trip report thread, I do get yelled at - literally yelled at - for taking a picture at a restaurant. Tune in next time....

Oh, I can't wait.....this is going to be good!!! I hope you have a long, healthy rant coming!

billyboy-
                  Nuts on Clark, another popcorn place in Chicago is the same way. In his review that used to be here on Roadfood, I believe Michael Stern mentioned getting yelled at by the staff for taking photos. There must be something about making popcorn that makes people tightly wound!

JBarry713

• Total Posts: 243
                    RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 4:51 PM (permalink)
                    I've been to the one in Chicago on Michigan Ave. - great stuff, best popcorn I've had.

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                      RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 9:03 PM (permalink)
                      Garrett's was purchased a couple of years ago by CarmelCrisp. Before the sale, the workers always made sure that the corn was measured to the exact ounce, which was part of the reason for the long lines there.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Mon, 02/11/08 11:13 PM (permalink)
                        Just a note about that sale - CaramelCrisp was formed with the intent to purchase Garrett. They were not another candied popcorn maker. The purchasers/CaramelCrisp are real estate developers. They apparently want to aggressively expand. We thought the CaramelCrisp we sampled last year in NYC was good, but inferior to the Chicago product.

The Travelin Man

RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Tue, 02/12/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                          Bruce/Sue - If there is a discernible difference in quality between Michigan Avenue and NYC, do you think this is attributed to less quality control over the expanding product, or some other factor?

Also, when you say rapidly expanding, is this a pretense to the Garrett's in Chicago one day becoming like the original Starbucks in Pike Market - with their own unique product offering so as to encourage destination shopping?

I am aware that you may have no more knowledge of the situation other than what you posted, but I am curious. Honestly, with all the time I spend in NYC, I had no idea that Garrett's was there. But, if there is any group of people outside of Chicago willing to pay a premium for the brand that is Garrett's - it would be New Yorkers!

Sundancer7

RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Fri, 10/31/08 3:47 PM (permalink)
                            I have seen people lined up to buy the popcorn in Chicago. I have always been concerned about buying cold or cool popcorn. I do not like it that way. It seems that folks there do not have a problem with it. I understand that they buy the corn that has a high water content and thus yields a better product.

Still, I do not want col popcorn. Only hot with lotsa butter.

I have never bought their product though. It must be very good as so many folks wait in line to purchase it.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                              RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Sun, 11/2/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
                              Their product ia kinda addictive; but at the same time either you love it or hate it. They opened a store on Randolph St. a year or so ago and the tenants of the building fought the store lease , as they claimed they did not want to smell Garrets popcorn all day long!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                RE: Garrett's Popcorn shop NYC (with pics!) Sun, 11/2/08 12:10 PM (permalink)
                                If there's a higher profit margin item than popcorn, please let me know....

Ellen says that you are allowed to take pictures of your own food order. So, is this correct? I've never tried to take pictures in a restaurant...don't need to because I'm too lazy to learn how to get them on a website. Anyway I have a personal photo advisor, John A to do that type of work for me

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com