LockedGary, Indiana was first with Pizza

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2006/12/29 11:37:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy
Says who?

Anyway for sure in all the midwest.

Until you remember Pizzeria Uno, on the corner of Wabash and Ohio in Beautiful Downtown Chicago. They've been serving Chicago Style Pizza (like a deep dish, only there's more good stuff than crust. Can you imagine John Travolta struttin' down the street eating a slice of Chicago Style? That's why disco died so quickly, and good riddance!) since 1946, and were serving their inferior (to Chicago Style), New York Style thin stuff long before that. That may not be the first, either, just the first I can give you off the top of my head
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2006/12/29 22:40:53 (permalink)
Would someone please tell me how to make this Polish Pizza.

Mike
msamhunter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2006/12/31 07:48:40 (permalink)
Don't know how I found this site, but it was some very interesting reading with regards to pizza and Gary. I remember Flamingos Pizza back when they had the Glen Park location. Surprisingly I was never a fan of it. Now the two other pizza places unique to the area are Miller Pizza Station (the best) and Pizzeria Uno's (not the chain establishment) both on Lake Street in Miller. Miller Pizza is right on the north end and Uno's is right before you hit lake street beach. Uno's has been around since the 40's if I'm not mistaken in the same little white house it's always been in.

And for the one who asked if going to miller is safe, for the most part yes, you have half million dollar homes over there where flamingos is located.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2006/12/31 15:52:37 (permalink)
Hi,

Miller Pizza is the only one left, that I know of on or near Lake St. in Miller section of Gary. Miller is still a high crime area, and I don't know if it has regrown and will work for this area. Many burnt out and boarded up homes, not many new ones, yes some new and large one, but still not a safe area, I am told. I have driven in this area, and don't know that I would want to move in yet. With this all, they have many great people living in this area.

Mike of Valparaiso
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/05 20:44:30 (permalink)
Hi,

It is not just me. Today in talking with someone who I did not know. We started talking of Pizza, and they said the best ever, of the past, came from Gary, Indiana. Most old timers in the Midwest know this is the case. I love sometimes, living in the past.

Mike
msamhunter
Junior Burger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/06 15:17:51 (permalink)
Granted Miller has a higher crime rate than when I lived there, but it is still a very nice area. They tore down the old Duneland Terrace Projects and converted the area into a mixed income neighborhood. It's actually very nice. Uno's Pizza is still on South Lake Street right before you hit the lake and Flamingos Pizza is next to Wells Street beach. There also used to be a Miller Pizza in Midtown but I figure it's closed down by now. The only bad thing associated with Miller is that it's a part of Gary which scares a lot of people. Believe it or not, the majority of Gary isn't bad, a lot of nice homes there which is why Miller Beach homes aren't as pricey as Odgen Dunes even though OD has a very shallow part of the lake. There are some very nice homes for sale in Miller as well as some 250K condos that they are trying to push right on Montgomery before Lake Shore Drive
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/06 17:47:47 (permalink)
msamhunter,

Last time you said, Uno's Pizza was on Lake Street, now you say it by Wells Street Beach, and that is some distance from Lake Street, East some way. I can't find it. Flamingo's Pizza is near the Beach Cafe, but it is not like the old one was. If you have a address for Uno's Pizza, please send it along.
Gary, like many other city's has had many problems. I was born and raised there, and left around 35 years ago, and moved to Valparaiso, for the better schools for my, now grown children, but get into Gary often, and would like to try Uno's Pizza. Do they have a set down place, or only to go? There was a Pizza place, many years ago, by the Lake, on the north end of Lake Street, on the west side of the street, could this be it?
You know Gary, how is this? Did you or Do you now, live in Gary?
I went to Emerson High, on the East side of Gary, on 7th. Ave. and Car. St.
Did you ever have the Great Flamingo's Pizza, at the Gary location, on West 5th. Ave. and Washington St.?

Mike
msamhunter
Junior Burger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/06 18:15:21 (permalink)
Oops it's Ono's (720 North Lake Street), never said it was by wells street beach, it is on north lake street right before lake street beach. It's a little hole in the wall, used to buy penny candy there. As far for me, Graduated from Lew Wallace, spent first two years of high school at Wirt. Born and raised in Miller on Birch Place. My family still lives in Gary. I remember as a kid I used to just walk and explore the whole city (not a smart thing to do) but nothing ever happened bad. For the most part, people are still friendly, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

msamhunter,

Last time you said, Uno's Pizza was on Lake Street, now you say it by Wells Street Beach, and that is some distance from Lake Street, East some way. I can't find it. Flamingo's Pizza is near the Beach Cafe, but it is not like the old one was. If you have a address for Uno's Pizza, please send it along.
Gary, like many other city's has had many problems. I was born and raised there, and left around 35 years ago, and moved to Valparaiso, for the better schools for my, now grown children, but get into Gary often, and would like to try Uno's Pizza. Do they have a set down place, or only to go? There was a Pizza place, many years ago, by the Lake, on the north end of Lake Street, on the west side of the street, could this be it?
You know Gary, how is this? Did you or Do you now, live in Gary?
I went to Emerson High, on the East side of Gary, on 7th. Ave. and Car. St.
Did you ever have the Great Flamingo's Pizza, at the Gary location, on West 5th. Ave. and Washington St.?

Mike
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/06 18:43:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dholkYou've said before that the first American pizza started in Gary, Indiana. This must have been before 1905, when Lombardi's started in New York.
Is this the family that gave my favorite football team a coach named Vincent Thomas, who was an offensive coordinator for the New York Giants in the fifties, and coached at St. Catherine's High School in New York before that. I'm working on a book.
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90The peasants of Naples, Italy, who lived mostly off of bread and little else, were the first to add tomatoes to their focaccia bread rounds.
I'm told that Italians make pizza sauce out of everything from A to Z (Anchovy paste to Zucchini). I wonder why that didn't make it to the states?
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/06 23:49:12 (permalink)
I used to work in Michigan City, commuting there from Chicago, so I passed through Gary many times. Never stopped there to try pizza, however. I will say that from what I can tell, Miller - "Miller Beach" as the real estate ads call it - is not a bad area. People actually buy vacation homes on the beach there, though I can't imagine why someone would want a beach home near all those steel mills and oil refineries. I guess it's a lot cheaper than Michiana or Beverly Shores.

One thing worth knowing about Gary, before claiming it had the first pizza in America, is how new this town is. I'm not even sure there was a "Gary" before about 1906. That was around the time the first steel mills were built there, and a company town called Gary was built to house the workers. I don't doubt that 30 years after that there were good pizza places in town, but realistically, it's unlikely there were any restaurants there at all in the first decade of the 20th century.
msamhunter
Junior Burger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/07 07:18:29 (permalink)
Miller is approx 5 miles from USX which is to the west and 5 miles from Bethlehem steel which is to the east. It is nice land, actually Indiana Dunes actually begins in Gary. Don't have an oil refinery, that's in Whiting. The city did just celebrate its 100 year anniversary last year, so it's not old. Founded in 1906 by U S Steel Corp and officially had folks moving in in 1909. Miller itself is rumored to be just a tad bit older than Gary proper but was annexed in 1919 or 1921 depending on the historian you ask.
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

I used to work in Michigan City, commuting there from Chicago, so I passed through Gary many times. Never stopped there to try pizza, however. I will say that from what I can tell, Miller - "Miller Beach" as the real estate ads call it - is not a bad area. People actually buy vacation homes on the beach there, though I can't imagine why someone would want a beach home near all those steel mills and oil refineries. I guess it's a lot cheaper than Michiana or Beverly Shores.

One thing worth knowing about Gary, before claiming it had the first pizza in America, is how new this town is. I'm not even sure there was a "Gary" before about 1906. That was around the time the first steel mills were built there, and a company town called Gary was built to house the workers. I don't doubt that 30 years after that there were good pizza places in town, but realistically, it's unlikely there were any restaurants there at all in the first decade of the 20th century.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/07 11:05:19 (permalink)
To all,

Great to go back to the old times of Gary, a once great city, with still some great people. Sosmeday it will make a comeback, when they get control of the crime.

Mike
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/08 10:31:29 (permalink)
To all,

Do you remember the old Gary, Indiana of the past. The city was over 250,000 people and is now down to under 100,000. We had the best Pizza around, several great places. Which one did you like best, and why? Where was it?

Mike
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/11 08:46:13 (permalink)
To all,

Remember, Gary, Indiana was first with the best Pizza ever, and now gone. Bring back the past.
What ever happened to the good old days?

Mike
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Gary, Indiana was first with Pizza 2007/01/11 09:32:29 (permalink)
Is there such a thing as a benign troll? -pb
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1