The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gas Station chicken

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
Gas Station chicken Fri, 07/30/04 5:48 PM (permalink)
Some of the best fried chicken in my community comes from gas stations! Our Coastal Mart has fantastic not-too-greasy fried chix, greens, peach cobbler, etc. It's a real bargain too.

Now...my favorite fried chicken comes from the Great Valu grocery store in Orange VA, but the C-Mart comes in a close second.

Does anyone else concur about these funky chicken spots?

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
    RE: Gas Station chicken Sat, 07/31/04 7:26 AM (permalink)
    Route 11: I'm just a little bit south of you, in Powhatan. As long as you get it right out of the cooker (not after it's been sitting under the hot lamps for awhile) the 8 piece fried chicken special from Food Lion for $5.99 ain't bad.

Frank

TIPPY LEE

• Total Posts: 135
      RE: Gas Station chicken Sat, 07/31/04 11:33 AM (permalink)
      Route 11, hands down, some of the best fried chicken in my area,IMHO of course, comes from the Food City deli. Not greasy, crispy skin, and juicy meat...You know, it's getting close to lunchtime. I better go get some right now!!...In the hills of wet, rainy, Eastern Kentucky..Tom B.

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
        RE: Gas Station chicken Sat, 07/31/04 12:32 PM (permalink)
        In the late eighties, I practicaly lived off the fried chicken at a gas station in Atlanta, on the corner of Boulevard and Ralph McGill, that had excellent fried chicken.
        They also served fried potato wedges which were also very good.
        It's been quite a few years since I've been there, and I don't know if they still serve the chicken, or not.
        Good stuff, though.

B

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
          RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 11:17 AM (permalink)
          I love the potato wedges that you can buy at the gas station-convenience stores. They have the coating on them like the fried chicken and they are a special treat whenever you can find them.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
            RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 11:26 AM (permalink)
            Around my part of Florida there are several gas stations that sell "Chester's Fried Chicken" (I suppose that is supposed to be some sort of gas station branding?), and it is quite good. I also enjoy the supermarket version found at Publix, though they seem to be getting more and more expensive.

Steve

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
              RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 11:46 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by stevekoe

I also enjoy the supermarket version found at Publix, though they seem to be getting more and more expensive.

You're right on both counts Steve; I think Publix chicken is great; and I also seem to recall that it was about a dollar cheaper last year for a box of 8 pieces. But it's worth it to me to have a nice little splurge every now and then for something that's at least tasty. Have you tried their lemon pepper rotisserie chicken? It's pretty good too. Goes well sliced up for sandwiches and chicken salad.

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 12:08 PM (permalink)
                In CT in the late 80's and early 90's there was Chucky's. Really good fried chicken and awesome Jo-Jo's (huge seasoned potato wedges). They also had pretty good mac and cheese. Best part was they were open 24hrs. If you were out after last call it was the only place in town to get hot food (other than microwave stuff). I don't know if they are still around.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                  RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 12:41 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by fcbaldwin

Route 11: I'm just a little bit south of you, in Powhatan. As long as you get it right out of the cooker (not after it's been sitting under the hot lamps for awhile) the 8 piece fried chicken special from Food Lion for $5.99 ain't bad.

Frank

Nope, that's not bad at all.
                  My grandparents used to live off 522 in Orange County. I remember seeing the signs for Powhatan. Never been there, though.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                    RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 12:54 PM (permalink)
                    We have a Chester's chicken in our area except we call it Ms. Mary's chicken. She's a little old black lady that has been the only one I've ever known to cook the chicken(and tater wedges), even when the gas station changed hands. It's only served about 10:30a to 2p on the weekdays so I miss it most of the time. I really like the light coating.

As far as the tater wedges, I've done those at home. They're really easy and are a great snack.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                      RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 1:07 PM (permalink)
                      Rusty, What type of coating do you use on your tater wedges. I've had trouble getting coating to stick to my potatoes. Also, do you fry them or bake them
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Rusty246

We have a Chester's chicken in our area except we call it Ms. Mary's chicken. She's a little old black lady that has been the only one I've ever known to cook the chicken(and tater wedges), even when the gas station changed hands. It's only served about 10:30a to 2p on the weekdays so I miss it most of the time. I really like the light coating.

As far as the tater wedges, I've done those at home. They're really easy and are a great snack.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                        RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 08/2/04 1:14 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by emsmom

Rusty, What type of coating do you use on your tater wedges. I've had trouble getting coating to stick to my potatoes. Also, do you fry them or bake them?
                        quote:

Real easy emsmom. I dip my quarters in an egg wash, then in seasoned flour! Deep fry in hot oil, that's it! When browned to your liking move to paper towels add a little salt if needed. I find it's best not to use the biggest potatoes you can buy because your quarters would be huge. I use a medium size baker. I sure you know this though. Give it a try, I've never had a problem!

The Travelin Man

RE: Gas Station chicken Tue, 08/3/04 12:16 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Real easy emsmom. I dip my quarters in an egg wash, then in seasoned flour! Deep fry in hot oil, that's it! When browned to your liking move to paper towels add a little salt if needed. I find it's best not to use the biggest potatoes you can buy because your quarters would be huge. I use a medium size baker. I sure you know this though. Give it a try, I've never had a problem!

I don't know what you use to season your flour, or if you are open to suggestions, but I like to kick mine up a little with Old Bay -- but, then I like to kick almost anything up with Old Bay -- scrambled eggs, french fries, soup stock, etc. I use it darn near more than salt!

The Travelin Man

RE: Gas Station chicken Tue, 08/3/04 12:19 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
                            Originally posted by stevekoe

I also enjoy the supermarket version found at Publix, though they seem to be getting more and more expensive.

You're right on both counts Steve; I think Publix chicken is great; and I also seem to recall that it was about a dollar cheaper last year for a box of 8 pieces. But it's worth it to me to have a nice little splurge every now and then for something that's at least tasty. Have you tried their lemon pepper rotisserie chicken? It's pretty good too. Goes well sliced up for sandwiches and chicken salad.

Kristi -- I am not sure if the station reaches your west coast locale, but Orlando radio personality, Jim Philips, has been extolling the virtues of the Publix Lemon Pepper chicken for a year or so now. Seems like it might be a little healthier than the fried stuff, but the fried is sooooooo good.

Steve

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                              RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 10/25/04 6:00 PM (permalink)

Hola!

There is a large, truck stop type chain down south called Dodge's Store. I have seen them in both Mississippi and Arkansas. Open 24 hours with excellent chicken all the time

Senor

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 10/25/04 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                living in Tampa,I can certainly join in the praise for PUBLIX fried and lemon-pepper chickens,a good pair of products....they also make very good 'sub' sandwiches(all Boars Head upon request)....I have never seen gas station chicken but I don't get out much,I look forward to giving it a shot,any near Tampa?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 10/25/04 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                  I cant say I ever seen fried chicken in a gas station around here (West Michigan)... About all they serve here is microwave burritos, not so fresh wrapped sandwichs, and hot dogs on a roller grill... Though I wish they did!

Ok, had to add this in... Now that I think about it, I did see a Shell station that sells Fried chicken... I used to have an account near it (Boston Square area), but the bird always looked dried out to me so I never tried any... I personally remember thinking that it was soomething like Banquet Fried Chicken, since I never saw a fryer there (Limited space)..

cleveland66

• Total Posts: 129
                                    RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 10/25/04 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

There is a large, truck stop type chain down south called Dodge's Store. I have seen them in both Mississippi and Arkansas. Open 24 hours with excellent chicken all the time

Senor

I go to Dodge's everytime I go to Graceland (once a year, maybe). There's one about a mile away from the mansion itself, and you're right, the chicken is pretty damned good.

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
                                      RE: Gas Station chicken Mon, 10/25/04 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                      I hate to say it, because I am not a huge fan, but our Walmart has 8 pieces for $3.99 and it's darn tasty too.

Hapslappy

• Total Posts: 5
                                        RE: Gas Station chicken Tue, 10/26/04 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                        If you're ever traveling up or down the east coast on Rt. 13 through the Eastern Shore of Virginia and have a taste for fried chicken, Tammy's and Johnny's in Melfa, VA is THE place to stop. Their home made biscuits and hush puppies are delicious, too.

It's a locally owned little place and is a well known popular spot for miles north and south.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com