Gas grills on sale

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
2012/03/16 20:50:59 (permalink)

Gas grills on sale

Springtime is when bbq grills and patio furniture go on sale...

I don't work for or have any interest in ANY of the brand names I've mentioned...I'm just saying it how it is...so don't even think of flagging this as spam, because it ain't...

For a long time I was a grilling purest: open flames from downfall oak on my ranch, with a tripod cowboy type grill suspended over the live flames (not coals)...and the fire pit is unprotected outdoors...so I couldn't grill when it was really windy up here in the mtns for fear of starting a wildland fire...

The problem is that once the winter rain & snow starts, it was "Game Over" until the wood and firepit dried out in mid springtime...

But when I went back to work on the railroad, there was one of them new fangled gas grills behind the locomotive shop...and I *had* to learn to use it because on the RR crew we all took turns cooking burgers...

And one of the local motels also had a gas grill in back for folks to use...it didn't quite work the same as the one at the RR yard, but I adapted...

I don't remember what brands these 2 are...

Last June I saw an ad in my local shopping flyer about a sale on gas grills, and I started to compare grill sq inch area and btu ratings, and other features...and for just over $150 I bought a Grill Zone gas grill...

It needed "some assembly" but I was able to wrangle all the screws into the correct holes, usually on the first try...

I've been using this thing ever since then, often 3 to 5 days a week, even in winter (between the rain showers and snow flurries)

A few days ago I got another flyer from the same hardware store (True Value) and see that the same dollars will buy even a larger Grill Zone model...more grill surface area and more burners...

No matter what brand grill is your favorite, springtime is when gas grills, and patio furniture goes on sale...

Yes, the Webers still command a rather high price, and that might be just what you want...but I find the low priced Grill Zone to do everything I want...

I no longer have to wait months before I can grill once winter sets in...as long as I have 30+ minutes of no precipitation, I can at least grill up something...

Is there room for improvement with my grill...???

Yes...the plastic hand tightened gas line connector is a PITA...it can leak propane if not snugged in completely...

Also the bottom pan of the firebox is a PITA to line with foil...maybe this is easier to do with a more expensive brand name grill...

The 2 wheels are light weight...

I also look at this thing and say to myself: if that bottom pan was just a bit lower you could broil steaks on the underside of the flame tubes...I guess nobody thought of that...so when the nice weather returns I'm going to explore how I can modify this contraption to broil steaks...

If you asked me 2 years ago if I'd want to get a gas grill, I would've answered with a firm "no"... but now I use it as often as I can, weather permitting...

The sad news is that it's been nothing but solid rain all day, and the snow level will drop below my elevation...so I might have to cook my grub indoors...if I still remember how...

PS...I'm so hooked on this thing I have 3 small 20# propane tanks dedicated to my gas grill...lest I run out of gas halfway through a cooking session...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/03/17 01:48:28

13 Replies Related Threads

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/16 23:21:35 (permalink)
    speaking of grills we usually use a large charcoal barrel type , but a few years ago bought a  small lodge grill- great for smaller & more frequent grilling. A gas grill is always something I have resisited as well , but think I am wavering a bit . 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/16 23:36:27 (permalink)
    I use a ceramic infrared grill using LP that puts out about 800 degrees. Chars steaks and chops just like a high dollar steakhouse.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10100
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/17 00:05:52 (permalink)
    I've used the same gas grill since 1973!
    It's almost 40 years old!!!
    It's a Kenmore built by Arkla that I bought second-hand for $50.00!
    I've rebuilt the guts in it several times but it still has the original Cooking Grates and Cast Aluminum housing!
    It's a grill in front with an oven in the back that gets indirect heat from the grill section and with the ability to rotis a 20# Turkey or Ham or cook and smoke other cuts of meat. It has 2 flip up doors. One for the grill and 0ne for the oven.
    When I go to that Big Smokehouse in the sky, that puppy's going with me!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/17 00:17:07 (permalink)
    If you ever need parts for an older grill, here's the best source:
    http://www.clagrills.com/
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/17 01:40:16 (permalink)
    Could you please put me in your will for the Kenmore grill...???

Just in case...

Just in case you don't go to heaven...you won't be needing additional heat down there in hell...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/17 03:57:13 (permalink)
    BackRhodes
    Could you please put me in your will for the Kenmore grill...???
    Just in case...
    Just in case you don't go to heaven...you won't be needing additional heat down there in hell...

No doubt where I'll be going. I'll be catering my Heavenly Ribs, Turkeys and Hams for all the Angels and Archangels!!
    If you make it, look me up!
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/18 03:46:35 (permalink)
    What if the Angels don't eat pork...???

I'll be easy to find...

I'll be serving Tri-Tip, chicken, corn on the cob, Angel food cake, and chocolate chip ice cream...

Just in case you don't make it, I'll fix you a plate To Go, but I don't think you should wait long to eat the ice cream...it melts fast down there...but you're used to that down there in AZ, right...???  

heh  heh 
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/18 10:43:34 (permalink)
    I'm anti-purist. Gassers are great, says this Big Green Egg user.

If you're having trouble getting your gasser hot enough to really do a great steak, try a set of grill grates. I haven't tried them myself, but reviews are that they work as advertised.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7767
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/18 16:29:32 (permalink)
    Webers are priced right.

Price some of the brands that I sold:

Lynx
    Firemagic
    Twin Eagles
    Solaire

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/18 16:54:35 (permalink)
    BackRhodes
    What if the Angels don't eat pork...???
    I'll be easy to find...
    I'll be serving Tri-Tip, chicken, corn on the cob, Angel food cake, and chocolate chip ice cream...
    Just in case you don't make it, I'll fix you a plate To Go, but I don't think you should wait long to eat the ice cream...it melts fast down there...but you're used to that down there in AZ, right...???  
    heh  heh 

Just read that in AZ, according to the AZ Board of Embalmers, 65% of us get Cremated. The novel thing is the Crematory Operators don't even need to turn the gas on in the Summertime. Mother Nature takes care of it!
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/19 22:02:28 (permalink)
    Spontanious compustion due to high levels of blood alcohol...???

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/20 00:58:15 (permalink)
    BackRhodes
    Spontanious compustion due to high levels of blood alcohol...???

Since Geritol contains 12% Alcohol, that's a very real possibility!!!!!
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Gas grills on sale 2012/03/20 22:14:28 (permalink)
    Perhaos you shouldn't get too close to flames, lest you become flambeau...

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1