The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Gastonia, NC

bingeCT

• Total Posts: 2
Gastonia, NC Thu, 05/15/03 7:14 PM (permalink)
We're stopping here for one night. Any comparisons/recommendations for BBQ places or fish camps? Thanks!

Mikey1

RE: Gastonia, NC Sat, 05/17/03 9:10 PM (permalink)
    There are 2 different places in Shelby (closeby) that are mentioned in Bob Garner's excellent book North Carolina Barbecue that might make it worth a side trip--Bridges Barbecue Lodge (closed Mon and Tues) and Alston Bridges Barbecue (closed Sun and Mon)--the latter is now 3rd generation (ask them about their "magic fork")--the former is supposed to be one of the cleanest places anywhere. If you visit either or both places, please post your experience afterward--I intend to hit both of them in the fall.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
      RE: Gastonia, NC Sun, 05/18/03 7:55 PM (permalink)
      I've never been, But I found this ...http://www.hollyeats.com/TwinTops.htm

Big George

• Total Posts: 12
        RE: Gastonia, NC Wed, 05/21/03 3:00 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by bingeCT

We're stopping here for one night. Any comparisons/recommendations for BBQ places or fish camps? Thanks!
        [ For one meal in Gastonia, go to River Rat. Great rest and big menu/quote]

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
          RE: Gastonia, NC Fri, 08/29/03 2:45 AM (permalink)
          Shelby, N.C. is a barbeque destination as it has two first- rate wood burner's of long-standing reputation.

Last spring, en route home from Charleston, I made my first visit to Shelby for dinner at Bridges Barbecue Lodge. I thought that if I had a light dinner around 5, I could drive into town to the other celebrated pit, Alston Bridges Barbecue (no relation), and have their bbq pork sandwich with the requisite slaw and hush puppies.

A light dinner was not to be. I wound up ordering a full bbq pork dinner, had a second order of hush puppies, and then two que sandwiches, loaded with their delicious dip. Bridges Barbecue Lodge has superlative que--slowly cooked over hardwood coals--and their hush puppies are right up there with the best.

The engaging owner, daughter of the founder, told me 40 pork shoulders had been pit roasted for that Saturday's business and would be gone by early evening. I like the couple who own Bridges Barbecue Lodge and can enthusiastically recommend their place to any lover of authentic barbeque. Coming from I 85, the business is on the U.S. 74 Bypass (at the eastern end of Shelby) just across the highway from the Cleveland Mall.

In his book, North Carolina: Flavored by Time, Bob Garner raves about both establishments.

I want to visit Shelby again soon, and will probably do so on an October trip from Kentucky to Charleston (not a bad detour from I 26). I may stay overnight so I can dine at Alston Bridges Barbecue AND reprise my terrific meal at Bridges Barbecue Lodge. Alston Bridges Barbecue is now run by son Kent's 3 grown children. There's a nice photo of the family in Bob Garner's first book.

JimInKy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com