Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed

Author
foodgrrrl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2013/04/09 16:07:12 (permalink)

Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed

Hi ~ newbie here, so big apologies if my questions have been asked a bajillion times already. 

Anyway ~ calling around for quotes.  Bolt won't give a quote on gen liab until my biz is up and running as I don't have specific answers to their questions. They did quote comm auto at $1700/year.  If the cart is staying at a fixed location (what I'm working on getting) do I need comm auto? Really hoping I don't have to move cart daily.  If there are any vendors in southern AZ (Cochise Cty) - please tell me who you use and what does a ballpark gen liab premium run (no frying or grilling on cart)? I don't want to start this biz until I have some idea how much everything is going to cost to get it running.

Next question:  should my first cart have 2 or 3 burners? Thinking 2 won't be enough for the extra stuff that needs keeping warm.  Would you recommend I just sell hot dogs w/plenty of options to go on them, or hot dogs + 1 to 2 types of sausages?  My experience consists of 2 months working a hot dog cart for a friend, and as I'm hoping to score a location that gets 200+ customers in a 2 hour timeframe I need to be able to put up the food quickly (and on my own).

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this....
Helga

9 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/09 20:20:51 (permalink)
    Gen liability should only be based off of sales, give them an estimate of $35,000
    What other information are they requesting?
    I pay $300 yr for $1million, shop around, it can cost twice that.
    For cart insurance, try FLIPROGRAM There are several people here that use it.
     I was going to switch last month, but my agent matched the price.
    Commercial auto is up to you. BUT, if you get in an accident while pulling your weenie wagon, you will not be covered.
    $1700 seems very steep unless you have a bad driving record along with bad credit.
    foodgrrrl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/11 15:03:42 (permalink)
    Thank you chefbuba!  I'll look into that site for insurance.
    No bad driving record and no bad credit....no idea why so high (they said they'll need a business plan to give a quote on gen.liab).
    Found out I can leave my cart at the location - yippee:-).
    Cart shopping this weekend - that should be interesting. 
    Cheers!
    post edited by foodgrrrl - 2013/04/11 15:05:13
    chefbuba
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/11 15:43:59 (permalink)
    They don't need a business plan to quote you for gl, go somewhere else.
    You probably did not sound serious enough and they blew you off.
    I have had many commercial insurance policy's and never been asked to see a business plan.
    I was paying around $750 yr for full coverage on a $40k truck while I had commercial auto.
    foodgrrrl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/11 16:38:23 (permalink)
    I agree - and I'll shop around.

Hey - on another subject - if I can post a link here to a Craigslist ad, will you give me your professional opinion on a cart?  ok - looks like it posted.

now the link is gone....trying again
    phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bfs/3634123128.html

post edited by foodgrrrl - 2013/04/11 16:40:59
    chefbuba
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/11 21:34:23 (permalink)
    foodgrrrl

I agree - and I'll shop around.

Hey - on another subject - if I can post a link here to a Craigslist ad, will you give me your professional opinion on a cart?  ok - looks like it posted.

now the link is gone....trying again
    phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bfs/3634123128.html

Here you go
    I'm not a dogger, but I'm sure someone will chime in with their opinion.
    post edited by chefbuba - 2013/04/11 21:37:17
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/11 22:54:01 (permalink)
    I only see one sink on that cart.

MOst HDs are going to ask for a 3bay sink for dishes and seperate hand sink.  Check into that before you buy.  

Go into your local inspection department (could be city, county, or state depending on where you live) and ask for what they expect to see.

IN my city the size of the cart (width-length-height) were very strict and did not necessarily fit most cart dimensions i found.  Look into that.

Put some thought into what exactly you plan to serve and HOW you plan to do that.  look to see if the cart has what you need.  No two of us do the EXACT same thing, you need to find a balance between what you want and how you can accomplish it.

I am also in agreement with Bubba in terms of insurance.  progressive also offers you car and business.  I use them for auto and Peerless for business.  

josh
    foodgrrrl
    Junior Burger
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/12 12:37:04 (permalink)
    Great advice Josh ~ thank you.
    I did send pics of that cart to my local HD guy ~ he says add a splashguard next to the sink and, as long as it gets up to proper temps, he doesn't foresee any problems passing it.
    I have Progressive for personal auto ~ just checked w/them, no go on gen liab. Will research more.
    Cheers!

hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/12 20:40:49 (permalink)
    With progressive i had to speak to their commercial department.

I have a separate policy for the car i pull my cart with as it wouldn't have been qualified otherwise.  Commercial is more pricy, but it is smart to have.  I do remember someone telling me they had a commercial policy for the business end of a food truck so i assumed they did...  Peerless i pay 500 a year for 1 mil in coverage.

josh
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Gen Liability/commercial auto & # of burners needed 2013/04/16 23:39:21 (permalink)
    i use flip... greatest thing ever....  $299 a year, can't beat it, print your own certs, and additionals at no extra charge,    NO BRAINER,  Get liability for your cart too for an extra 50$ a year.. PA-SHAW !!!!   and that includes inland marine too at no extra charge. Thank you very much lol
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1