Gene & Jude's in Illinois

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
guspas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/08 18:38:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
Originally posted by guspas

you should try M and H grill in winetka. 966 greenbay rd. one of those places that have been there for 30 years.... unfortunatly it will be closing soon. Best fries that you will ever have
Gus-better than your fries??? I find that hard to believe. If they are better than yours, those must be some really tasty fries!

Buddy

for some reason my reply didn't show up.

Anyway..yea those fries were outstanding and i have my theory on why. Our fries do come close though but not quite as good.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2941
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/10 11:29:49 (permalink)
Caught the REO concert in Rosemont last night and did the Gene & Jude's thing at 12:15am. S-Th, open til 1am, line was only about 6 ahead, double dog with fries was $2.35. A great deal, an even better tatse!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/12 11:55:12 (permalink)
Gus - your fries are pretty darn good. I was up your way yesterday and stopped by your place, Mustard's Last Stand and Hackney's on Harms. Quite a Roadfood day! At your place - Wiener and still Champion - I had a Merkt's Cheddar Dog, 1 Dipping Dog with Garlic Aioli and a Regular Fries and a small drink. Tom was running the ship and everything came out hot and great tasting. Your fries are among the best, anywhere and everytime! I was at Gene & Jude's just 11 hours earlier so their taste was still with me. At Mustard's, I had a smaller order as storage space was becoming limited. I had the Jumbo Vienna Dog - Chicago Style, a small fry and a small drink. At $6.54, a little pricey. I was surprised that "Everything" includes Ketchup and more surprised to get a cold dog and poorly steamed bun. On the first bite, the bun broke into pieces making it a difficult process. The fries seemded to be a McDonalds clone and were just fair. Coming on the heals of my Weiner and still Champion visit, a huge letdown.
guspas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/16 21:39:12 (permalink)
CTD

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the fries. I just don't understand why so many places go with the frozen fries when the fresh cut taste sooo much better. I would of recommended the Argentine garlic and herb though. By far, the best dipping sauce that we have.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/17 09:41:28 (permalink)
I missed that on the list until I was seated and enjoying my food. That will definately be my next pick. I brought a menu home and the boys were making their picks so it looks like the next trip, we'll have a few more mouths to increase the sampling pool! See ya next time.
cakyrias
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Gene & Jude's in Illinois 2007/05/19 22:21:51 (permalink)
I've been going to Gene & Jude's for 45 years and still love 'em, though now I have to drive 35 miles one-way. The parking lot and line inside are filled with a cross-section of middle America, from children on their bicycles to adults on their motorcycles, from guys in suits to guys from the nearby factories, from classic cars to junkers. There's almost nobody pretentious or high-falutin', just plain neighborhood folks of all ages. Also, it attracts cops from at least six jurisdictions that I'm aware of.

The secret to their fries is twice cooking. As folks have said, they're fresh cut then dropped into the oil within minutes and lightly browned. Next the basket is lifted out of the oil and hung to cool for a few minutes. Then plunged back into the oil for final browning. This double-fried approach makes a huge difference in the taste and texture.

Using the skin-on Vienna dogs makes a difference too. The skins allow the dogs to be steamed and held for a while without getting water-logged and ballooning up like they would if they'd been boiled.

Gene & Jude's hours are 11am to 1am on weeknights and till 2am on Fridays and Saturdays. (Although, don't be ridiculous and walk in at 2 minutes to 2 and expect to get fed.) The person who said they were closed may have gone by during the two weeks in January that they close down every year.

While I was waiting in a long line one day, a typical occurrence, I heard an interesting story about Gene & Jude's. I don't know if it's true, but it sure makes a great story. Apparently, this hot dog stand had been in the city (Chicago) and the original owner lost it in a poker game. The winner, who hadn't been particularly interested in the hot dog business, moved it to the suburbs and made a ton of money. According to my informant, once the capital equipment is paid off, i.e., the three double fryers, three steam tables, two pop fountains, some industrial refrigerators and a cash register, the rest is just employee costs and profit. He shared that none of the equipment is really terribly expensive and it lasts forever.

The extremely simple menu also keeps the overhead costs down. Even the tamales are there because they can share steam table heat with the dogs and buns.

Anyone know where in Addison they're going to be setting up their new shop?
drg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The "Ranch" 2009/04/09 22:34:12 (permalink)

I use to go to the Ranch daily for many years.  60's thru late 80's.   We use to go there daily for lunch when we went to Green school (Devon & Sacremento). Isabelle was the original owner, she was the best!  We would sit in the back on small stools and watch Bozo Circus.  She sometimes charges us a Quarter, but most of the time free.  When she became ill, Lippy bought it.  After that Mr. Kim and his wife.  The best was a char broiled Romainian.  There was a Kosher fast food joint there for a  while.  Last time I drove by, it was vacant.  Lippy had a hot stand in the Bingo Hall on Western by Pratt or Lunt. 
post edited by drg - 2009/04/09 22:35:45
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1