General Chu's Chicken

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13503
2003/04/23 17:35:24 (permalink)

General Chu's Chicken

I am sure it just me, but I judge most Chinese restaurants by their "General Chu's" chicken which is spelled different in other Chinese restaurants. Most of the time when I get it, it is bland, fried with lotsa dough and not very tasty.

The "Mandarin House" in Knoxville has my favorite. It has huge pieces of chicken fried in light batter with a neat sweet flavor and lotsa pieces of whole little red peppers that are toxic. I always remove them. I accidentally ate one and it took me quite a while to recover.

It seems that the Chinese buffet has gone bonkers in Knoxville as they grow exponentially daily. Most of them are the same and I have tried them all. Maybe they are all owned by the same company as their menu is very similar and only a few miles apart.

It seems that the bargain you get comes with a coronary, but the Mandarin House is different.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

8 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/23 17:43:52 (permalink)
    Having so many chinese places as we do here, I've seen every variation of that dish, General Tsao's, General Tso's, General's Chicken, and even a mall place called General Tom's that specialized in the sweet spicy, batter fried dish. While General Tom's makes a pretty good rendition, the best is down the street from me at China Garden, theirs is more spicy than sweet, and very crunchy.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/23 17:55:02 (permalink)
    The crunchier, the better.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/24 19:49:21 (permalink)
    Paul I agree Mandarin House is good have you tried Giant Panda in old Copelands location? I also like the places that have Mongolian BBQ .
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/25 18:24:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bumper

Paul I agree Mandarin House is good have you tried Giant Panda in old Copelands location? I also like the places that have Mongolian BBQ .

I tried the "Giant Panda". Save your money. I went there and on a scale of 1-10, I gave them a solid 1. They do not have their act together and they will fold soon. As they occupied "Copelands", they will have a high rent. They need to be in a low rent area. They served me food that was not acceptable under any circumstances and really tried to rationalize their way out of it. They gave me a free meal, which I did not eat and left what was served on the plate. They asked that I please come back. I was nice and said "see you next time" which I will not. Wave bye to this establishment.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/25 19:02:10 (permalink)
    When I am in an unfamiliar place craving Chinese food I usually try and trust PF Changs. It has nothing on SF and NYC Chinese food, but it certainly isn't bad. They have a decent General ***** Chicken.

BTW, PF Changs is one of the few stocks in my portfolio that has put food on my table in more than one way.
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/04/25 20:32:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review Paul I will steer clear of that place. P F Chang's in just over the hill from that panda place I will give a try !
    ali b
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/05/07 11:18:41 (permalink)
    even though i never saw it spelt like that, i still love it. is there such a thing as a really hot one?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: General Chu's Chicken 2003/05/07 12:06:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ali b

even though i never saw it spelt like that, i still love it. is there such a thing as a really hot one?

Believe it or not, I looked it up and there are about four different ways to spell it. I don't know the general and it may depend on what part of China you are in and how it will affect the spelling.

Mandarin House in Knoxville has the Best General Tso-Chu-Tsao-Soo chicken I have ever had. Most places use one source of chicken and add different sauces to make a specific dish.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1