Generator Question

Author
cue
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2013/03/28 08:24:14 (permalink)

Generator Question

Spent the last three days researching generators.  I am going to go with a 10000 watt gen.  It is going to be overkill.  Is that nesasarily a bad thing?  Also, I am wanting to go diesel (the truck is diesel, and I will be running biodiesel)  so fuel cost will be lower.  And then I thought, man I could really use a welder too.  So I am thinking of buying a miller bobcat 250 Diesel welder/generator.  And yes I will mount this to the truck (if it fits, I still need to go measure).  Db rating is 80.  Will I be able to route the exhaust and make modifications to make it bearable?  Any thoughts, advice?

cue

7 Replies Related Threads

Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/28 09:31:28 (permalink)
    Have you priced the diesel Bobcat 250 yet? They are very expensive, but they are built like a tank.
    cue
    Hamburger
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/30 00:44:19 (permalink)
    About $8000.00.

Okay I have read every single thread on this website about generators.  Still have questions.

All of my equipment added up is 62 watts or about 7500 watts.  Now add 20-25% to cover surges puts me at about 9400 watts.  Do I really need a 10000 watt generator? or can I get by with something less? How much less?  I do not want to mess with juggling loads (unplug this so I can run the microwave)  It will have a rooftop ac that will prolly run constantly in the summer.  I need to get this figured out before I decide on whether to go gas or diesel.  On that note if you want to chime in.  My truck is diesel and I will be running biodiesel so fuel cost will be fairly low for me.  Depending on how much biodiesel I go through.  I will only have 50-100 gallons a month available to me.  I will also be running 3-4 days a week if that makes any kind of difference.  Also, I most likely will be running primarily off of a generator for a while until I get set up and find some places with shore power.  Would you go with diesel or gas in my situation?

Another question.  If most shore lines are going to limit me to 50 amps and most generators biggest receptacle is also 50 amp.  Is there any need to have a generator capable of providing any more than that?  That would be 6000 watts.  Or do you just plug a 50 amp and any other 30 amps receptacles from the generator to the breaker box.  So for 110 amps you would have 3 different cords from the generator to the breaker.

I guess those of you who have been down this road, In my situation what would you get?  I do have $10000 budgeted for a generator.  But if I can get by for less I would rather.

thanks  cue
    post edited by cue - 2013/03/30 00:47:21
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1996
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/30 10:48:46 (permalink)
    What equipment are you running off of AC besides the 2 prep tables & a/c?  Thats a lot of amps.
    cue
    Hamburger
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/30 14:29:41 (permalink)
    Air Conditioner     16A
    Water Pump         0.9A
    Cash Register       3A?
    Lights                    7A
    Reachin Refer        8.9A
    Sandwich Prep      8.6A
    table
    Reachin Freezer    6.8A
    Slicer                     7A
    Exhaust Fan          4.5A
        Total                62.7 amps

post edited by cue - 2013/03/30 14:31:44
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1996
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/31 01:11:47 (permalink)
    You can drop 17.9 off that demand, slicer,7A???? that's as much as a fridge.
    Light's 7A....for a few fluorescent bulbs? Once they are on, they are on and drawing very little, same with the register. You could turn all these on simultaneously and hear no change in your generator.
    I wouldn't go diesel either. If your burning bio in your truck, and only have 50-100 a month, your going to be buying diesel. Don't know what your paying for it out there, but I pay .30-.40 gal more than gas here, currently $4.09gal.
    I have owned a Honda for years, never has failed me. I used nothing but Hondas in four catering trucks, 12+ hrs a day, some days they ran 20 hrs, very rarely had a problem. Regular oil changes & clean gas. A 10k can be had for around $5grand.

This is from Honda's website....

We calculate your power needs based off a very simple formula.

Appliance with the highest starting wattage
    + Total running wattage for all other appliances
    Total wattage needed
    Why not use the total starting wattage?
    The starting wattage is only required for a few seconds when you first start up an appliance. In most cases, only one item will be started at a time.
    Why is starting wattage different from running wattage for some applications?
    Some appliances require extra power to start up, while others maintain the same power requirements constantly. Items that contain an electric motor require additional power to start, but significantly less power to run once they get going. Examples include a refrigerator, furnace, or AC unit.
    What is the difference between recommended wattage and maximum wattage?
    Recommended wattage assumes you will only start one appliance at a time.
    Maximum wattage is the most wattage you could ever require, based on the appliances you selected. It is based on the total starting wattage.
    For most consumers, recommended wattage is the best number to use.
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 247
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/31 01:44:55 (permalink)
    Morning! I was in a similar boat as you and ended up going with a diesel 10k watt unit. I originally thought about going with the batteries and inverter but because of my electrical needs I figured a powerful genny was the way to go. Sure diesel is a little more than gas but the economy certainly helps make up for it and I bought a slow turning genet that should easily last many thousands of hours wi consistent, daily use. And my truck is diesel so sticking with one fuel was a no brainier.

And I'm sure it's a little overkill but, for something as important as this and for as much as I will rely on it, I didn't think cutting this corner was going to be in my best interest. Plus I have a little room to grow if need be.

Good luck!
    cue
    Hamburger
    Re:Generator Question 2013/03/31 09:59:33 (permalink)
    How did you come up with 17.9A?  I was under the impression that all of those numbers were running and not starting watts?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1