Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck

Author
lordjefe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/08/12 13:00:50 (permalink)

Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck

What is the best way to stay powered up (refrigerators/freezer) while on the way to your location?  Sometimes you may be there in 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, Is it best to run an inverter from batteries powered by the alternator, or figure out a way to run your generator inside the truck while driving?  Or mount the generator outside the truck and run it while driving?  Is it against most health codes to run a generator inside the truck if there is an exhaust fan dedicated to its exhaust?  What is the most common solution to this issue?  Are there cheaper solutions than using an RV generator? 
post edited by lordjefe - 2011/08/12 13:43:57

14 Replies Related Threads

BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2011/08/13 23:16:30 (permalink)
    a good inverter/charger and a twin battery bank dedicated just for the trips back and forth would be my advice...
    figure out what size your alternator is, want at least a 100 amp or better, a house switch to send all the alts juice to the house batteries, or back to the start battery if/when needed......
    a ship/shore switch to run off land power when home or when can be plugged up and you should be in business !

if you want pro advice, contact a boat fitter and tell them what your doing, but get "land" grade parts to put it together 
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2011/08/13 23:19:37 (permalink)
    if you want i can "draw" you up a system to use if you will give me the power needed for the different parts your going to be running off of it...... dont forget the roof a/c, that would make a nice cool start to the day if you already have everything inside chilled down to 70* instead of hauling a 90* trailer around and then trying to cool it off....
    lordjefe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2011/08/15 11:29:22 (permalink)
    Thanks alot BackAlleyBurger.  I'm working on getting the start up and running amps of the equipment necessary to run while in transit. 
    mdcrider22
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/02 14:50:29 (permalink)
    Hello, I am looking to have an  18ft step van converted into a mobile kitchen and I am having a hard time finding someone to install a few things for me.  I am looking to have  a LP generator and 2 tanks under mounted along the side of the step van.  I am currently looking at a 7.5kw Generac Rv generator.  I have seen this done on several food trucks but do not have the electrical knowledge of how the system is set up to work.  I will run all my cooking appliances on Propane and any electrical off the generator.  I am looking to purchase the van and just have these things installed, and I will finish the rest of the van.  So a few questions?  Where can I find LP tanks that are horizontal undermount?  Who would install something like this, and ballpark cost?  Would like everything undermounted along the side with access panels for refilling the LP and access to the Generator. I figure mounting along the driver side would keep the tanks and any noise with the generator along the street side and not the serving side and easier to refill.  Plus I think this would be much safer.  Any thoughts, comments and help would be much appreciated. 
    mdcrider22
    Junior Burger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/02 14:58:26 (permalink)
    Back Alley Burger I wold like to discuss a few things with you and pick your brain. Where are you located? I tired sending you a private message but since I am a new member I am not allowed.  My email is mdcrider22 at gmail.  I would really apprecieate your help, I have read several of your posts and you are very knowledgeable.  I have a few ideas that I think could benefit us both.  Thank you for your time.  Matt
    agmccall
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/03 07:08:29 (permalink)
    mdcrider22

Hello, I am looking to have an  18ft step van converted into a mobile kitchen and I am having a hard time finding someone to install a few things for me.  I am looking to have  a LP generator and 2 tanks under mounted along the side of the step van.  I am currently looking at a 7.5kw Generac Rv generator.  I have seen this done on several food trucks but do not have the electrical knowledge of how the system is set up to work.  I will run all my cooking appliances on Propane and any electrical off the generator.  I am looking to purchase the van and just have these things installed, and I will finish the rest of the van.  So a few questions?  Where can I find LP tanks that are horizontal undermount?  Who would install something like this, and ballpark cost?  Would like everything undermounted along the side with access panels for refilling the LP and access to the Generator. I figure mounting along the driver side would keep the tanks and any noise with the generator along the street side and not the serving side and easier to refill.  Plus I think this would be much safer.  Any thoughts, comments and help would be much appreciated. 

You should probably start a new thread with your question, and not try and take over this one

Al
    mdcrider22
    Junior Burger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/03 07:52:00 (permalink)
    Ok thank you, thats what I was trying to do but having a hard time finding how to start a new thread.  Do you have to be a member for a certain period of time or something?   Thanks Matt
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/03 19:15:53 (permalink)
    hi Matt,
    i would be more then happy to share some ideas and help you out....
    lol, i dont know everything, but i know a little about most anything....
    give me a call sometime i will pm you my number, nice to see a "local" in here
    Bruce
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/03 19:24:19 (permalink)
    dont let any old stiff lips in here run ya off....i think some have been here so long they forget they were new to forums at one time too, lol
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/02/03 19:39:40 (permalink)
    mdcrider22

Hello, I am looking to have an  18ft step van converted into a mobile kitchen and I am having a hard time finding someone to install a few things for me.
    well hell !...look no farther :)
    I am looking to have  a LP generator and 2 tanks under mounted along the side of the step van.  I am currently looking at a 7.5kw Generac Rv generator.  I have seen this done on several food trucks but do not have the electrical knowledge of how the system is set up to work.
    more so then just the knowledge of how its done, how/when to put it in is another thing..... you need at least wall studs up for the electrical parts and a pretty good idea of where everything is going in the truck also
    I will run all my cooking appliances on Propane and any electrical off the generator.  I am looking to purchase the van and just have these things installed,
    i can help you out here instead of paying a "pro" shop
    and I will finish the rest of the van.  So a few questions?  
     Who would install something like this, and ballpark cost?
    well, i am free most week ends and evenings....... we can talk :)
     Would like everything undermounted along the side with access panels for refilling the LP and access to the Generator. I figure mounting along the driver side would keep the tanks and any noise with the generator along the street side and not the serving side and easier to refill.  Plus I think this would be much safer.  Any thoughts, comments and help would be much appreciated.  

your exactly right about keeping the genny on the street side of the truck, tanks wont matter so much, fresh and grey water can be located where they make the most sense, the under mount propane tank can be put about anywhere as well that it can be safely installed and where pipe routing will be easiest/make the most sense.......
    keeping in mind how you want to route the genny exhaust..... tap it into the truck exhaust, or run a high rise....but being a propane genset, it wont matter too much....
    i sent you a pm, looking forward to talking and swapping notes...
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/02/03 19:45:47
    OurCoffeeTruck
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/08/29 20:29:39 (permalink)
    Hey BAB, I got super pumped about my own build after finding your thread! I'm doing a coffee truck, so not near as complicated as yours (i don't think), but still have major questions about electrical stuff. I'm pretty mechanical, but haven't really learned anything about electrical.

Anyways regarding the generator, I was wondering if anyone has done a bigger battery bank and trickle charged it with the generator. Because i figure the generator will be burning a gallon or so an hour whether i'm serving drinks or not. so i really wanted something that could store all the energy from the generator and then shut off when the batteries are full. Don't want to be wasting $4/gal gasoline when i'm just running lights and a fridge.

-joe
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2051
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/08/30 01:28:31 (permalink)
    BAB went into the witness protection program about 6 months ago.
    DadsDogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/08/30 03:22:29 (permalink)
    LOL...It took me a while to learn look at the post dates too        DD
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re:Generator/Inverter, staying powered up? Food Truck 2012/08/30 16:48:04 (permalink)
    yup,... I hear he give up the truck and went to work consulting for the Obama re-election campaign, they want someone to furnish food for the workers on election nite.......and then a sous chef @ the white house.. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1